[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 209 KB, 800x1200, 800px-Plato_Silanion_Musei_Capitolini_MC1377[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11190957 No.11190957 [Reply] [Original]

Is the virtue of wisdom and the love of wisdom the same thing, or are they different?

>> No.11190980

He who lacks wisdom, and knows it, loves wisdom.

>> No.11191284

Wisdom is part of virtue, which also includes temperance, courage and justice.

>> No.11191602

>>11190957

Define your terms anon.

Is Loving wisdom virtuous?

The virtue of wisdom is what of wisdom is virtuous. Which is of course saying nothing. But “wise” is what? Virtue is what? We cannot speak of their relationship relative to one another without first determining what it is we are relating.

Without knowing virtue we cannot say what of wisdom is virtuous. Or if virtue is wise.

Being virtuous requires wisdom and for Plato, wisdom would partake with, or be, partially, of virtue. If virtue were isolatable or containable within an Idea/Form. if there a dialogue pertaining particularly to virtue, I don’t know which it is.

>>11191284
>>11191284

If you want strictly to take the perspective on such things as presented in the extant platonic texts.

>> No.11191655

plato is a waste of time surrounded by mountains of actually interesting material. the only reason to read his non-sequitor rants is for the context they provide for later western history if that's what you're interested in, particularly certain periods of roman history. if you want to study the greeks for philosophical reasons outside of the realm of baseless idealism or curiosity start with aristotle.

>> No.11191667

>>11191655

But Aristotle is fundamentally an inversion of Plato anon. Understanding is not all there is to acquire from reading philosophical texts. You can also appreciate. And one cannot appreciate Aristotle without first reading Plato and understanding his thinking.

>> No.11191683

>>11191667
>appreciate
hence, curiosity.
>one cannot appreciate aristotle without first reading plato
aristotle founded rational western and near-eastern philosophy. if you don't find that interesting then you are not reading greek literature for philosophical reasons in which case read something fun like homer before foxing with these urban parasites.

>> No.11191768

>>11191683

I didn’t say interesting I said appreciate. Which I’m using here rather precisely. Understanding, used loosely knowledge might be More appropriate, can be unappreciative but wisdom I think would require appreciation. To truly know the Greeks. Know of Greek. What it meant to be One of those Greeks.

You also can’t appreciate anything Greek without Homer.

A large part of the purpose of reading, especially initially, is to acquire a perspective which affords appreciation.