[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3.29 MB, 3625x2427, sa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10863493 No.10863493 [Reply] [Original]

Which saint is the most /lit/?

I'll be coming into the Church this Easter and am having trouble deciding on a saint-bro.

St. George, the Archangels (I wish Uriel was an official saint in Catholicism), St. John of the Cross, or maybe even badasses like St. Pius X. I mean, there's always Aquinas, but I've never really felt a strong spiritual pull towards him...?

Any feedback about saints or ways you recommend deciding would be most welcome for these, my deliberations.

Thank you.

>> No.10863507

>>10863493
If you want to be confirmed in a saint's name you're looking at Augustine(my saint name), Aquinas, or Francis de Sales, you could include John of the Cross too

>> No.10863526

>>10863507
forget, congratulations!!!! I was confirmed in January through RCIA (I was already baptized). I'm not sure what a good process is to discern which saint to be confirmed under. I can tell you mine though.

At first, I was planning to choose Saint Francis of Assissi (my Parish name and the reason I grew deeper in my faith). But I didn't feel right doing so. I ended up choosing Saint Augustine of Hippo because he is the patron saint of theologians(so is Aquinas, doesn't matter though) and brewers. I could really relate to his story of conversion. He lived a wild life of sex and drinking as did I.. And he gave it all up for God's sake. I want to do the same. He is also the patron saint of theologians. I love theology and the rationality and theology behind Catholicism brought me very very close to my faith. Is you name a saint name? You should research that saint too.

Hope I could help man, and God bless you.

>> No.10863605
File: 306 KB, 760x1140, who is like god 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10863526
>>10863507

Thanks so much, man. It feels amazing to be getting so close to having full access to the sacraments... honestly, I'm just elated, and it feels like coming home.

As to the saints you recommend: thank you. I see the thrust of your recommendation. Of those men, John of the Cross would be my favorite (although, if I'm being honest, I've never really read up on de Sales. I'll rectify that)

I'm so spiritually invested in this decision that it's giving me anxiety, to be honest!

Congratulations to you, too, on your conversion. Yes, I'm RCIA-ing just as you have.

My middle name is Thomas :/ I'm a lover of theology, so it feels ridiculous not to go with the Angelic Philosopher himself, but alas, he just doesn't do it for my soul.

My favorites are the ones who are surpassingly able in spiritual warfare, because I feel like to live in the world today is to be particularly involved in spiritual warfare. I've felt especially attracted to mystics and archangels for their otherworldliness; when I turn to the saints for prayer and guidance on my behalf, I usually find myself praying to angels and Mary. My great enemy in life is indifference, apathy, fear, self-sabotage, generally; Satan offering me an easy way, with no responsibility.

St. Pius X has almost spookily stalked me from cathedral to cathedral, and I LOVE reading his writing so much. He completed anticipated postmodernity.

My profession is poet (believe it or not!) and teacher, but I've never had a very strong grasp on who the true Poet of the Church is (isn't it weird that Dante hasn't been raised to sainthood?). The idea of its being David is most interesting: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." etc.

'Kay, I'll stop blogging. Thanks so much for your feedback, sir. And again, kudos for your confirmation!

>> No.10863664
File: 628 KB, 960x1280, saint-francis-de-sales.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10863507
Can second Francis de Sales. He's the patron saint of writers and journalists, after all. He was my confirmation saint, and I pray to him often for help and guidance with my writing. I've also read his "Introduction to the Devout Life," which I'd recommend for any Christian.

>> No.10863709

>>10863664
Thanks, mate, for the recommendation and where you're coming from.

Can you give me a rundown on the guy? The library's closed til morning, and I'd be curious to see why he means so much to you.

Has he helped in your prayer life? Writing life?
And what is the thrust of his "Introduction ... Life"?

>> No.10863796
File: 252 KB, 975x1024, 3d37be4fe20cf05ed8bfbe540d6c8d7b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10863709
It's funny, because I was confirmed in high school (I'm a cradle Catholic). Back then, I chose him because I had some interest in writing, and I found out he was the patron of writers; thus, I picked him only knowing what he patronized, and not fully knowing the man himself.

But now, as I've grown older and more devout, I've drawn an immense amount of comfort from his writing and his example. He's known as the "gentleman saint" because of his kindness and meekness of temper. However, he remarked that it had taken him nearly 30 years to master that temper. This inspires me in my own struggle to overcome my failings and sins; if a saint can admit taking a long time to overcome a habitual failing, then I can take hope that I can overcome my troubles in time, as well.

Also, all his writing was directed towards converting recent Protestants back to the Catholic faith. He was bishop of Geneva during the time of Calvin; he was actually unable to live in the city for most of his appointment due to the Protestants there. But he persevered and won thousands of souls back to Catholicism due to his personal preaching and writing. This also inspires me, because some of my writing is analytical and philosophic in nature, and I'm heartened by the example of someone who used their talents to do God's will. He's supposedly a famously excellent prose stylist, though I can't be sure since I can't read French.

"The Introduction to the Devout Life" basically says that holiness isn't just for priests and monks and nuns. It calls laymen to lead lives of holiness also, and instructs them in ways to accomplish this. That also inspires me, because I don't feel called to the religious life, but I still want to be holy and observe the teachings of the Church.

>> No.10863803

>>10863605
thanks man!

yeah it sounds like Saint Pius X is the one!

>> No.10863819

>>10863803
take the next step to sedevacantism

>> No.10863912

>>10863819
Why?

>> No.10863918

>>10863803
Really?? Oh man, ok. I take what you've just said very seriously, since it sounds like you've just gone what I've gone through and so know the scope what I am deciding, here. Thank you for your feedback. God bless you.

>> No.10863925

>>10863796
That is a masterful rundown, good sir! I'm so happy for you that your patron saint has grown into such a powerful role for you in your life, writing and otherwise.

His life sounds truly divinely inspired, and I agree, what he has been able to do with his writing should be an inspiration to all of us writers.

I'll definitely check out his call to lead a divine life, and I'll see about his other writings - to be the patron saint of writing, I mean, the guy must really be amazing. I wish I could read French..

>> No.10863932

>>10863819
psyche
>>10863918
man,I know I've been on 4chan too long because I read that post in the most condescending and sarcastic way possible lol..

I know you're sincere though. Live in the moment when you receive those sacraments man. If I were you, I'd write it about the day of Easter Virgil when you become apart of the Body of Christ!!!

>> No.10863934

Robert Bellarmine

>> No.10863937

>>10863932
Whoah, can I ask what you meant by replying Psyche to that anon? Is that a reference to Cupid and Psyche???

Anyway: I went back and read what I wrote and it could totally be the most sarcastic, asshole thing to say ever lmao. Glad you knew what I meant. Anywho: I'll take your advice about writing it down come Easter.