[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 214 KB, 1134x1001, LOZzh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10823310 No.10823310 [Reply] [Original]

>15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

>21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?

>> No.10823468

>>10823310
Paul's got nothing on Qohelet

>Again I saw all the oppressions that are practiced under the sun. And behold, the tears of the oppressed, and they had no one to comfort them! On the side of their oppressors there was power, and there was no one to comfort them. 2 And I thought the dead who are already dead more fortunate than the living who are still alive; 3 but better than both is he who has not yet been, and has not seen the evil deeds that are done under the sun.

>> No.10823486
File: 50 KB, 462x648, 910_l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

15Because I do not know what it is that I accomplish; because what I wish, this I do not do; instead, what I hate, this I do. 16But so long as I do not do this, what I wish, I am in agreement with the Law—that it is good. 17But now no longer am I at work, but rather the sin that dwells within me. 18For I know that in me—that is, in my flesh—dwells nothing good; for it is present in me to will, but not to accomplish, the good; 19For I do not do the good I wish; instead, the evil I do not wish, this I do. 20But if what I do not wish, this I do, then no longer am I operating, but rather the sin that dwells within me. 21Thus I discover the law that, when I am desirous of doing the good, 22The evil presents itself to me. For I delight in God’s Law according to the inner man, 23But I see a different law in my bodily members warring against the Law of my mind and taking me captive by the law of sin that is in my members. 24I am a man in torment—who will deliver me from the body of this death? 25Grace to God through Jesus the Anointed, our Lord. So then I myself am a slave in mind to God’s Law, and yet in flesh to the law of sin.

David Bentley Hart. The New Testament: A Translation (Kindle Locations 6729-6740). Yale University Press. Kindle Edition.

>> No.10823545

>>10823486
I was clowning Hart earlier this week, but this is actually pretty good.

>> No.10823554
File: 80 KB, 220x162, tenor.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10823468
>oppres