[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 350x529, 20AF9A7C-9E36-4470-888E-3C1F4B49DD6D-7676-00000CD5CE45362B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10735526 No.10735526 [Reply] [Original]

So I need some sources relating to the domestication of the dog, the mesolithic/upper paleolithic, animism, etc. Where would I find reliable sources, and enough of them, to get a fairly accurate understanding of this topic(in the same way you do for something you write an essay on, I obviously don't expect to rival the anthropologist on this one)? Any serious answer is appreciated

>> No.10735545

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/studying/masters/courses/ARCLG184

>> No.10736898

>>10735545
I'm not sure I understand. I mean like books, papers, articles. Are you bullying me? Please don't bully me.

>> No.10736925

>>10735526
Unfortunately people read a lot into stuff and end up making up their own mythologies.

I guess you could look at the vocabulary of protoindoeuropean language reconstructions. If there is no linguistic evidence that something existed back then it may not have existed.

>> No.10736967

>>10736925
Hm, so do you mean a lot of specifics of daily life would have to be essentially assumed without very much direct evidence? I suppose that makes sense, and I wasn't planning on taking anyone's opinion at face value, but I thought it would be useful to read well regarded opinions and analyses, if not simply so I can find out what specific assumptions not to make. I also had a secondary goal of somewhat replicating(and though not meant to be harsh, in some ways parodying) the style of writing, with some deliberate twists. There are also specific parts, some of which are humorous, where it is specifically made a point that you really can't know the truth of it, sort of like a self-aware unreliable narrator.

>> No.10736968

>>10736925
>I guess you could look at the vocabulary of protoindoeuropean language reconstructions
this

>> No.10737005

Your best bet is to look at the cultural anthropology/archaeology articles and try to track down some of these professors and interview them. I did student journalism and it's easier to meet these people face to face than you think. They actually expect this sort of thing to happen, it feeds into their post-doctoral delusions of grandeur. Remember the acknowledgements section, rarely do authors attempt works of such magnitude on their lonesome, unless they established experts in their own right. Develop a personal relationship with one of these PHDS, if you really are serious about novel writing, then you are in this for the long haul, start planning accordingly.

Don't forget to use your own powers of deduction. Consider children at the zoo. The sign says: "Don't feed the animals." Only an ingrained and instinctual behavior would necessitate active intervention. Domestication is in our blood. If one could track the behavior, throughout history, to the source, one might find the ur-tamer, the fabled first domesticator.

>> No.10738257

>>10737005
I don't plan on depicting the domestication itself, and it doesn't form an actual story. Think Andrei Rublev but with a much bigger timespan and without a character tying the stories together, rather themes. It's also only going to be about the domestication of the dog on the surface, it will focus more on human nature, and I have ideas of parts jumping to way different periods, for example a mesolithic man commits some terrible deed, and the next passage would be a trial in an early civilization, much later obviously, that somewhat appears to be the trial of that mesolithic person on the surface, but obviously isn't. I think it would make sense if I had every idea written down but it's not very similar to most historical fiction, its historical fiction by definition, but it's style won't really be similar. I might sound like an annoying pseud trying to make excuses for not following the anons advice, but i do appreciate their input, it's just hard to tell what is actually right for this, sorry. I think this will help, but just in a different way than normal. Also I don't think I've actually sought out speaking to a stranger in my entire life, so that might be a bit of a difficulty.

>> No.10738283
File: 38 KB, 800x450, oogaboogaaa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10735526
This is the earliest piece of pre-historical fiction found to date
>Grug no like big nose tribe. Big nose tribe no good
>Grug no like dark skin tribe. Dark skin tribe be noisy
>Grug no like woman tribe. Woman tribe no want snoo snoo with Grug
>Grug like tug meat stick. Tug meat stick feel good