[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 50 KB, 1024x388, flaming_sword_by_cobaltplasma-da0sgsc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10640405 No.10640405 [Reply] [Original]

Working on my book, I think I have a really good ending, but that doesn't matter if I don't keep interest and have likable characters that people will follow to the ending.

Chapter one- we get a mystery, our young hero finds a man in the forest, his body burnt to a crisp, wearing armor he doesn't recognize as being from this country, and he's holding a sword, hero takes the sword

Our Heroine, a 14 year noble old girl is engaged to marry a 45 year old king, she runs away

Hero pulls out the sword and finds out it lights on fire when he uses it (This would be the cover, it's called Braun and the Burning Blade) So now we have a flaming sword, which is cool, so i hope that will get a readers interest (and it burns his hand when he uses it, so we have stakes, the more he uses it, the closer he gets to ending up like the burned man)

Girl comes to the town that our hero lives in and sees a member of a doomsday cult preaching that the apocolypse is coming and only the man with the burning blade can stop it

Hero learns about the sword from the old bookkeeper and is told to get rid of it, while leaving town he meets the girl and falls in love with her.

Hero finds out that the kings men are looking for her, so he runs back to town, shows her the sword, and helps her escape before the soldiers find her.

They ride for a little while, we get some character development, and then get stopped by two soldiers who recognize her, this is where we have our first action scene, pretty brutal, slashes a guy down the back and cuts the others arm off. By using the sword, some burns start appearing on his palm.

And that's a REALLY quick rundown of act 1, here are our characters

Bruan- 17, lives a boring life as a farmer, wants adventure, has always dreamed of getting a sword, he's smart, quick thinking, and this is really important, can lie really easily,

Anais- 14, beautifle a little spoiled, brash, does things without fully thinking them through.

What are some things I can do to really knock this first act out If I can get the reader that far, they'll probably read the rest of the book.

I feel like Anais needs a little more work, we want them to get together so they need to have really good chemistry

The thing with this project is that it is a very traditional Hero's journey, and somewhat cliche, rescue a princess to save the world, but the ending throws everything on it's head and he ends up having to tell a HUGE lie to her and actually puts the world in danger by saving her.

>> No.10640450
File: 48 KB, 920x690, KfJEMDu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>pleasing a generic audience is his first concern

That's how great books are made!

>> No.10640542

A horrible book with a brilliant ending is still a horrible book.
It seems like you have a lot of clever ideas, but that's not enough to make a good book. You said yourself that your book is basically just an assemblent of clichés. You have to commit to what you write, to participate in what you say. It's like procreating VS ejaculating onto the same wall day by day.

>> No.10640656
File: 73 KB, 510x363, 1517499165662.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Bruan
>Anais- 14, beautifle