[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 200x266, 5223.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10586545 No.10586545 [Reply] [Original]

“Alas," said the mouse, "the whole world is growing smaller every day. At the beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad when I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner stands the trap that I must run into."
"You only need to change your direction," said the cat, and ate it up.”

>> No.10586571
File: 14 KB, 220x293, 220px-Kafka1906_cropped.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A vulture was hacking at my feet. It had already torn my boots and stockings to shreds, now it was hacking at the feet themselves. Again and again it struck at them, then circled several times restlessly round me, then returned to continue its work. A gentleman passed by, looked on for a while, then asked me why I suffered the vulture.

"I'm helpless," I said. "When it came and began to attack me, I of course tried to drive it away, even to strangle it, but these animals are very strong, it was about to spring at my face, but I preferred to sacrifice my feet. Now they are almost torn to bits."

"Fancy letting yourself be tortured like this!" said the gentleman. "One shot and that's the end of the vulture."

"Really ?" I said. "And would you do that?"

"With pleasure," said the gentleman, "I've only got to go home and get my gun. Could you wait another half hour?"

"I'm not sure about that," said I, and stood for a moment rigid with pain. Then I said: "Do try it in any case, please."

"Very well," said the gentleman, "I'll be as quick as I can."

During this conversation the vulture had been calmly listening, letting its eye rove between me and the gentleman. Now I realized that it had understood everything; it took wing, leaned far back to gain impetus, and then, like a javelin thrower, thrust its beak through my mouth, deep into me. Falling back, I was relieved to feel him drowning irretrievably in my blood, which was filling every depth, flooding every shore.

>> No.10586617

reddit spacing lmao

>> No.10586654

But there was nothing in the other direction. If the cat was so nice why didn't they just become friends? Surely the cat was lonely too.

>> No.10586698

>>10586545

Was the metamorphosis a good horror story? Or was Kafka's subversive side manifesting through it? Something he despised about the normal man.

>> No.10586715

>>10586698
Pretty sure metamorphosis was about what happens when your family finds out your'e a homo.

>> No.10586771
File: 90 KB, 400x536, 101653-smartesthorse_Lukas-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10586715

Getting "the bug".

>> No.10586789

>>10586617
Why/when did calling out "reddit spacing" become a thing? I started posting here several years ago but have only periodically come around the last year or two and don't remember anyone ever saying this when I was a regular. I always did my spacing like that because it looks cleaner to me but I never go to reddit.

>> No.10587028

>>10586545
He looks like Paul Ryan.

>> No.10587061

>“Everyone carries a room about inside him. This fact can even be proved by means of the sense of hearing. If someone walks fast and one pricks up one’s ears and listens, say in the night, when everything round about is quiet, one hears, for instance, the rattling of a mirror not quite firmly fastened to the wall.”

what?

>> No.10587126
File: 1.43 MB, 500x333, 1516524624751.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10587061
someone walks fast over the floor which carries vibrations over the floor, in a sense, makes the room shake making the loosely fastened mirror bang on the wall ever so slightly