[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 160 KB, 1000x1000, RMF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10584788 No.10584788 [Reply] [Original]

I just finished "The Trial" and had some thoughts. While the book is referred to as a critique of bureaucracy, which it is, I was more struck by the actual conflict, and not why it came about. The feeling of being in a world one does not understand, with rules unknowable is one that really stuck out to me. I also thought that Kafka did a great job with the surrealism in the book. Too often surrealism is just absurd or over the top imo. Kafka managed to create a dreamlike feel without going overboard. The church scene, with rain and a white but confined altar really stuck out to me, as did the scenes of long hallways full of sad people really got to me. I also saw some clear ties to religious judgement, which I suppose is a fairly obvious connection. I have been looking for the seven deadly sins as committed by K. for partly shits and giggles and partly because of curiosity and have found Lust, greed, pride, envy, anger, and sloth. Any thoughts?