[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 279 KB, 940x1210, donquixote.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1058323 No.1058323 [Reply] [Original]

just got Don Quixote.

how good is it?

>> No.1058326

There's a reason Cervantes ends up on the same lists with Shakespeare and Dante.

>> No.1058330

ery good. I was actually surprised at how good it really was. And it's fun, too!

>> No.1058338

It is the best book ever written. Well, maybe not, but it's up there.

>> No.1058340

FUCKING WINDMILLS

>> No.1058378

guess I'll have to file the dissenting opinion, then.

I couldn't get through it. there were things I enjoyed about it, but these archaic authors are just so mired in bullshit, reading a page is like wading through molasses. they did it on purpose, too. a million dollars says we go back in a time machine and speak to Cerevantes or Dante or Shakespeare and they sound nothing like how they write.

I understand that we're products of different times and conventions, but it's impossible for me to read their prose as anything but pretentious-as-fuck or at best caught up in some "keeping up with the Jonses" convention/dogma.

It is just no fun to read.

sorry, c/lit/s.

>> No.1058388

>>1058378
>archaic authors
i don't think you know what archaic means. both Cervantes and Shakespeare were early moderns.

>mired in bullshit
give an example, we won't just take your word for it. give some evidence that your opinion is worth having.

>reading a page is like wading through molasses
how so?

>they did it on purpose, too
did what on purpose? so far all seem to have said is that you don't like their writing. are you saying they wrote poorly on purpose?

>they sound nothing like how they write
lol, why is this important? are you seriously suggesting that all literature should be written in informal, conversational dialogue? because if so you're excluding the vast majority of anything written ever over some arbitrary standard you haven't even bothered to defend.

>impossible for me to read their prose as anything but pretentious-as-fuck
please define the word "pretentious" and explain how Cervantes and Shakespeare are pretentious (i'll give you Dante; even a broke clock is right twice a day).

>caught up in some "keeping up with the Jonses" convention/dogma.
isn't suggesting that all writing should be mimic conversational speech a dogmatic convention? besides, i'm not sure you could even articulate what sorts of conventions/dogmas you think these authors are aiming for. Basically you're an uneducated would-be contrarian talking out of his ass.

>> No.1058390

>>1058388
oh, and I can tell you're uneducated because (for example) you criticize Dante because if you talked to him he would "sound nothing like (he) writes," when in fact Dante was an early adopter of the use of vernacular (you know, the language the common people speak in) in literature, not to mention the several examples of earthy, conversational dialogue he employs in his Comedy. so yeah, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

>> No.1058404

Protip: Quixote is not insane. I just increased your enjoyment of the book by a factor of 10.

>> No.1058417
File: 20 KB, 333x500, isbn.aspx (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read the Edith Grossman translation. The prose is as clear as day, it's true to Cervantes' intentions, and it's also quite funny.

>> No.1058419
File: 885 KB, 500x376, F9cMsPQSvkzrl5smwxeSK1n2o1_500.gif.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1058378

>> No.1059586

Bump.