[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 32 KB, 276x361, hegel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10353352 No.10353352 [Reply] [Original]

Redpill me on Hegel.

I'm reading his phenomenology of spirit. Why is it writting like some enigmatic puzzle?

>> No.10353366

He is unironically an archwizard

>> No.10353564

>>10353352
Some people say his style is intentionally abstract in order to keep his concepts devoid of particular and specific connotations, they're supposed to be grand and very basic. I think this argument has some value, the ideas from this book have been used in all sorts of disciplines since it was written, more so than most philosophical texts, partially because it's written in an open way allowing it to be interpreted in various ways and applied in different areas. You'll see the same people make a similar argument about the post-structuralist especially, and the continental tradition following him in general. In Derrida the crazy style is an explicit method and strategy; he's interested in interpretation and the reader/text-relationship, believes thoughts and ideas are structured by language, and so he uses language in a weird way in order to produce new and different ideas both in himself and the guy reading him. Deleuze is another guy with a similar strategy.

And analyticfags will say he's bullshitting and being obscure just for the sake of it. I think the analytic/continental thing pretty much started with Hegel and this book in particular.

>> No.10353577

>>10353352
Besides the point, but i recommend you read Jean Hyppolite's "Genesis and structure of Hegel's PhG", if you're struggling with it. Makes reading Hegel a whole lot easier. Think you can download it on Library Genesis.
>>10353366
Kek

>> No.10353654

>>10353577
Thank you, Very helpful!

>> No.10353664

>>10353564
>And analyticfags will say he's bullshitting and being obscure just for the sake of it. I think the analytic/continental thing pretty much started with Hegel and this book in particular.
it started after with Frege and Russell

>> No.10353749

>>10353664
I know that. Do you think perhaps there's something they're responding to, maybe even """dialectically"""? You can even trace it further back to Kant. Hegel and Kant never had any real influence on the anglos, even though there are many Kant and Hegel-scholars over there, while the continental tradition is built on top of those guys. If there's one general demarcation to be made between the two traditions that's not about style or geography, it's the analytic rejection of Kantian/post-Kantian epistemology. They basically said fuck idealism, let's start with physical reality and build an epistemology from that, instead of having to ground everything in subjectivity and doubting yourself until you sit there with noumena jerking off to the thing in itself you'll never get.

>> No.10353888

>>10353352
Google half hour hegel