[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 56 KB, 645x773, 1491287171858.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10320313 No.10320313 [Reply] [Original]

How can I develop an appreciation for poetry? I just don't get what the appeal is. It seems like a bunch of meaningless bullshit added to the actual message that just makes it sound different and harder to understand than how we would normally convey the message which makes people think it's deeper somehow. It seems like nothing but an exercise in pretension to me.

What poems did you read which first got you into poetry? Why do you enjoy it? What value does it add?

>> No.10320353
File: 2.99 MB, 1832x1344, 1508381683070.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You wrote a whole lot about pretentiousness, I'd remind you that it is simply an artistic medium. Passing judgement like that would be akin to calling painting as a whole boring or meaningless. Poetry might seem pretentious, because the learning curve is steep, but that's a part of what makes it great. Once you "get" it there is a whole new medium of art that pretty much distills the most aesthetically pleasing aspects of novels and combines it with rhthym and organization that provides a sort of form, like the lines of a painting. Good poems really are like drawing or sculpture, at the end you step back and observe the succinct totality before analysing it. Maybe start with Homer, that's why I and most of history did

>> No.10320363

It's like music. It's all in appreciation of the rhythm. When I was first getting into poetry, Seamus Heaney, Dylan Thomas, and T. S. Eliot were solid picks. Heaney was a bit more contemporary so his pieces like "Clearances" read pretty comfortably and are fairly easy to understand. Thomas is big for Fern Hill and "do not go gentle into that good night." Eliot is the bitch that wrote the wasteland, lovesong, and preludes which are some of my favorite poems ever. Him, Joyce, and Pound make modernism worth its trouble. Food for thought.

>> No.10320364

I like manly poetry that sends chills down my spine and gives me a puffed chest “fuck yeah” feeling. This is because I have crippling self doubt and need constant reminders that I have to get work done.

>> No.10320399

>>10320363
How do you learn to appreciate it if you have no natural appreciation for it though? I read poetry and it just pisses me off because it's so fucking awkward and the line breaks are annoying as fuck and never sound like they're in the right place.

>> No.10320412

>>10320399
Read it out loud.

>> No.10320432

>>10320363
I just read clearances and jesus christ, why the fuck do people read this shit? It's like you're robotripping or something. Just disjointed words loosely assembled into a narrative. It's like he's schizophrenic or something and can't just explain what he's trying to talk about clearly. This does not add value, it completely destroys it.

>> No.10320562

Because you aren't reading it with heart. Language is used by poets like a musical instrument. Read something from Walt Whitman and tell me where the words sound as though they're hitting high and low notes.

>> No.10320705

>>10320363
>food for thought
opinion disregarded