[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 218 KB, 1200x942, bgl.jpg!d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10139747 No.10139747 [Reply] [Original]

"he wants to explore interesting things in his writings but he doesn't know anything about technology and science."
Keep going, guys, we really need more realist tales about loss of innocence and "social problems"! (And we really are lacking in essays about Joyce's imagery).

>> No.10139779
File: 12 KB, 581x195, 1498904509443.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No surprise STEM brianlets can't understand a theme with more emotionally depth than "Thing makes thing happen!"

>> No.10140132

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Infinite Jest. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the metaphors will go over a typical reader’s head. There’s also DFW’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Slavoj Zizek literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these metaphors, to realise that they’re not just postmodern- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Infinite Jest truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in DFW’s existential catchphrase “And but so” which itself is a cryptic reference to Stirner’s German epic The Ego and His Own. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as DFW’s genius wit unfolds itself on their paperbacks. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have an Infinite Jest tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the audience pussy only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid