[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 71 KB, 548x800, Goya_witches_sabbath_1798.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10099841 No.10099841 [Reply] [Original]

Tips for new writers?
I have an idea that I'd like to write, but I'm not sure how much of it I should outline or how I should go about it. It's kinda intimidating as hell.

>> No.10099846

>>10099841
Get off 4chan and write till you're spent

>> No.10099859

One easy way to get started is to write a scene that's clear in your head. Don't worry about an introduction or anything. Jump right into the action.

Then go back and make some outlines. Iterate.

>> No.10099869

>>10099841
Right now FutureLearn is offering a free online class in writing. I suggest starting there. It'll help you through the process.

>> No.10099942

Find your voice.

>> No.10100033

>>10099942
I think I have.

>> No.10100043

>>10099841
There is absolutely no right or wrong way to go about it, so I'll just share mine and you're free to pick whatever sounds somewhat useful. In the end you can skip all this shit and just begin writing.

I (the joy)
>have an idea (usually coming in shower, right before sleeping/after waking up) and most of the time consists of character interactions + rough conflict + bit of setting, enough for couple scenes
>if I recall it well enough, I write the shit (dialogue, conflict, setting) down in Notes on my iPhone™ (which ensures I'll have the stuff directly available on my MacBook™)
>if it's too rough, I write some keywords on paper, and go back to thinking about it

II (the fun)
>have enough material to start outlining the general idea, theme, plot and characters, going back into what brought them together and in the future of what they will do, at this point I usually have added more characters, and some key scenes I want to use but not necessary a placement for them, which leaves room for events that lead to them, which makes it pretty easy
>planning chapters, 17 for a start since it's a cool number, for each chapter there is a 1-3 sentence outline for the stuff that's supposed to happen, if some chapters are mostly blank, it's alright at this point
>expand on the outline, leaves me with 1-2 paragraphs per chapter and enough causality to make up a story, and of course noting all the small but relevant details
>a bit world building plus thinking about muh motivations and themes and key aspects of the story further
>more chapter outlining because this step is just so much fucking fun

III (the pain)
>writing the shit down (and/or getting stuck in research), I try to do it chronologically, but if there is some new idea for a scene, notes time
>finish the first draft as soon as possible and pretend you have written a novel, reward your ass
>take a break from this go write something else

IV (the end)
>go back to the first draft and revisit the fuck out of it, try not kill yourself over how shitty it is and don't give up yet
>procrastinate and write blogposts on 4chain, then repeat the previous step until you have something a bit less shitty, reward yourself, and take another break
>repeat the last steps until you have something decent or finally realised how crap the entire idea was, and start a new one

>> No.10100063

>use pen and paper
>plain paper
>write whatever
>big money

>> No.10101206

>>10099841
oh OP, do I have a treat for you . . .
https://www.nownovel.com/blog/understanding-snowflake-method/

>> No.10101240

>>10100043
Actually not bad advice thank anon