[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 218 KB, 461x567, Painting_of_David_Hume.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10094334 No.10094334 [Reply] [Original]

>This distinguished philosopher was one day passing along a narrow footpath which formerly winded through a boggy piece of ground at the back of Edinburgh Castle, when he had the misfortune to tumble in, and stick fast in the mud. Observing a woman approaching, he civilly requested her to lend him a helping hand out of his disagreeable situation; but she, casting one hurried glance at his abbreviated figure, passed on, without regarding his request. He then shouted lustily after her; and she was at last prevailed upon by his cries to approach. “Are na ye Hume the Deist?” inquired she, in a tone which implied that an answer in the affirmative would decide her against lending him her assistance. “Well, well,” said Mr Hume, “no matter: you know, good woman, Christian charity commands you to do good, even to your enemies.” “Christian charity here, Christian charity there,” replied the woman, “I’ll do naething for ye till ye turn a Christian yoursell: ye maun first repeat baith the Lord’s Prayer and the Creed, or faith I’ll let ye groffle there as I faund ye.” The sceptic was actually obliged to accede to the woman’s terms, ere she would give him her help. He himself used to tell the story with great relish.

Glimpses of David Hume: https://econjwatch.org/file_download/1032/HumeSept2017.pdf?mimetype=pdf

>> No.10094341

dave the fag hume btfo by irl christ-chan

>> No.10094690

>>10094334

Tell me about Hume, why does he wear the bathing cap?

>> No.10094704
File: 14 KB, 220x262, david hume2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10094690
he was a big guy

>> No.10095594
File: 10 KB, 228x185, hume.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

David Hume

>> No.10095793

>>10094334
Thanks for this, it was an interesting read.
II. is particularly interesting to me, I always had a feeling he was leaning towards the theistic side, even if he was a skeptic.

>> No.10095868

>>10094690
To keep his "bundle" all together.

>> No.10095885

>>10094704
Got BTFO by Edinburgh landlady who called his "literati", "eaterawti" cause he was putting down haggis like sunflower seeds. Hume was a confirmed fatass.

>> No.10096556

How about the time Hume tricked a pleb into reading actual literature

>"I remember I was once desired by a young beauty, for whom I had some passion, to send her some novels and romances for her amusement in the country; but was not so ungenerous as to take the advantage, which such a course of reading might have given me, being resolved not to make use of poisoned arms against her. I therefore sent her PLUTARCH'S lives, assuring her, at the same time, that there was not a word of truth in them from beginning to end. She perused them very attentively, 'till she came to the lives of ALEXANDER and CÆSAR, whose names she had heard of by accident; and then returned me the book, with many reproaches for deceiving her."