[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 219 KB, 1134x1001, 1503097580900.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10060501 No.10060501 [Reply] [Original]

Last thread: >>10055481

Atheists and members of other Christian denominations are welcome to debate theology, faith, etc. But please keep it civil.

>The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. (Lamentations 3:25-26)

Thread theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU4ycRzwqDc

Recommended Reading:

>New American Bible (Revised Edition)
>Douay–Rheims Bible

Theology and Basics of Catholicism
>Adams, Karl – The Spirit of Catholicism
>Bouyer, Louis – Spirit and Forms of Protestantism
>Catholic Church – Catechism of the Catholic Church
>Guardini, Romano – The End of the Modern World
>Guardini, Romano – The Lord
>Hahn, Scott – Rome Sweet Home
>Kreeft, Peter – Christianity for Modern Pagans
>Newman, John Henry – Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine
>Newman, John Henry – Parochial and Plain Sermons
>Ott, Ludwig – Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma
>Pieper, Josef – The Four Cardinal Virtues

History and Culture
>Belloc, Hilaire – The Great Heresies
>Belloc, Hilaire – How The Reformation Happened
>Belloc, Hilaire – Survivals and New Arrivals
>Carroll, Warren – Christendom I: Founding of Christendom
>Carroll, Warren – Christendom II: The Building of Christendom
>Carroll, Warren – Christendom III: The Glory of Christendom
>Carroll, Warren – Christendom IV: The Cleaving of Christendom
>Crocker III, H.W. – Triumph
>Dawson, Christopher – Christianity and European Culture
>Knox, Ronald – Enthusiasm
>Leclercq, Jean – Love of Learning and the Desire for God
>Walsh, William – Our Lady of Fatima

Holy Men and Women
>Chesterton, G.K. – St. Francis of Assisi
>Chesterton, G.K. – St. Thomas Aquinas: The Dumb Ox
>Day, Dorothy – The Long Loneliness
>John XXIII, Pope John – Journal of a Soul
>Merton, Thomas – The Seven Storey Mountain
>Muggeridge, Malcolm – Something Beautiful for God
>Newman, John Henry – Apologia Pro Vita Sua
>Suarez, Federico – Mary of Nazareth
>Trochu, F. – The Cure of Ars
>Wegemer, Gerard – Thomas More: A Portrait of Courage
>Weigel, George – Witness to Hope

Literary Classics
>Alighieri, Dante – The Divine Comedy
>Benson, Robert Hugh – Lord of the World
>Bernanos, George – The Diary of a Country Priest
>de Cervantes, Miguel – Don Quixote
>Eliot, T.S. – Christianity and Culture
>Endo, Shusaku – Silence
>Hopkins, Gerard Manley – Poems and Prose
>Newman, John Henry – The Idea of a University
>O’Conner, Flannery – The Complete Stories
>Percy, Walker – Lost in the Cosmos
>Percy, Walker – Love in the Ruins
>Sienkiewicz, Henryk – Quo Vadis
>Tolkien, J.R.R. – The Lord of the Rings
>Undset, Sigrid – Kristin Lavransdatter I: The Bridal Wreath
>Undset, Sigrid – Kristin Lavransdatter II : The Wife
>Undset, Sigrid – Kristin Lavransdatter III: The Cross
>Waugh, Evelyn – Brideshead Revisited
>Wolfe, Gene – The Book of the New Sun
>Wolfe, Gene – The Fifth Head of Cerberus

>> No.10060503

>>10060501
Spiritual Classics
>Aquinas, St. Thomas – My Way of Life/Summa Theologica
>Augustine, St. – The City of God
>Augustine, St. – Confessions
>Catherine of Siena, St. – Little Talks with God
>Chesterton, G.K. – The Everlasting Man
>Chesterton, G.K. – Orthodoxy
>John of the Cross, St. – Dark Night of the Soul
>Lewis, C.S. – Mere Christianity
>Lewis, C.S. – The Problem of Pain
>Lewis, C.S. – The Screwtape Letters
>Oursler, Fulton – The Greatest Story Ever Told
>Teresa, Bl. Mother – Meditations from a Simple Path
>Teresa of Avila, St. – Interior Castle
>Teresa of Avila, St. – The Way of Perfection
>Therese of Lisieux, St. – Story of a Soul

Spiritual Reading
>A’Kempis, Thomas – The Imitation of Christ
>Aumann, Jordan – Spiritual Theology
>Baur, Benedict – Frequent Confession
>Baur, Benedict – In Silence with God
>Boylan, Eugene – Difficulties in Mental Prayer
>Boylan, Eugene – This Tremendous Lover
>Burke, Cormac – Covenanted Happiness
>Chautard, Jean-Baptiste – The Soul of the Apostolate
>de Caussade, Jean-Pierre – Abandonment to Divine Providence
>de Montfort, Louis-Marie – True Devotion to Mary
>de Sales, St. Francis – An Introduction to the Devout Life
>de Sales, St. Francis – Treatise on the Love of God
>Escriva, Jose Maria – Christ is Passing By
>Escriva, Jose Maria – Friends of God
>Escriva, Jose Maria – The Way, Furrow, The Forge
>Escriva, Jose Maria – The Way of the Cross
>Faber, Frederick – All for Jesus
>Garrigou-Lagrange, Fr. Reginald – Three Ages of Interior Life
>Liguori, Alphonso – The Great Means of Salvation and Perfection
>Liguori, Alphonso – Uniformity with God’s Will
>Louis of Grenada, Venerable – The Sinner’s Guide
>Lovasik, Lawrence – The Hidden Power of Kindness
>Manzoni, Alessandro – The Betrothed
>Martinez, Luis – True Devotion to the Holy Spirit
>More, St. Thomas – The Sadness of Christ
>Perquin, Bonaventure – Abba Father
>Rohrbach, Peter – Conversation with Christ
>Scupoli, Lorenzo – Spiritual Combat
>Sheed, Frank – Theology and Sanity
>Sheed, Frank – Theology for Beginners
>Sheed, Frank – To Know Christ Jesus
>Sheen, Fulton – Life of Christ
>Sheen, Fulton – Three to Get Married
>Tanqueray, Adolphe – The Spiritual Life
>von Hildebrand, Dietrich – Transformation in Christ

Miscellaneous
>John Paul II, Bl. Pope – Crossing the Threshold of Hope
>Masson, Georgina – The Companion Guide to Rome
>Monti, James – The King’s Good Servant but God’s First
>Rice, Charles – 50 Questions on the Natural Law
>Sertillanges, A.G. – The Intellectual Life

>> No.10060903

Nice ty

>> No.10060918

>>10060501
Is this really necessary?

>> No.10061039

>>10060918
Let's bump it and slide some threads.

>> No.10061902

This is great OP. Thank you.

Do you have any XXI century recommendations?

>> No.10061940

Quali sono le migliori edizioni della bibbia in lingua italiana?

>> No.10061951

Based OP.

I finished the complete works of Augustine. Where do I go from here? I was thinking of heading back into Plato for a better grasp of the Forms and the soul's immortality, mainly the Meno, Timaeus, Republic, and the Phaedrus.

>> No.10061953

[-]

>> No.10061954

>>10060501
Just finished the first chapter of Il Gattopardo(The Leopard). I almost cried at the part where the house priest is saying to the MC that they the aristocrats are fast to appease the liberals for a few generation of safety by giving up their alliance with the Church.

I can't believe they translated this in 1969 in a soviet sphere country.

>> No.10062000

>>10061951
Better if you got into some history of the period augustine lived or read about the various forms of Christianity from 100AD - 500AD. I personally went into HRE history and papal relations after that.

>> No.10062019

>>10061902
Not OP but check out The Submerged Reality: Sophiology and the Turn to a Poetic Metaphysics

>> No.10062046

Do you guys fear Judgement?

>> No.10062171

>>10062046
No, I'm a Catholic who receives the sacraments.

>> No.10062262

make this a pastebin

>> No.10062848

>>10062262
https://pastebin.com/PUWNWYyG

>> No.10062864

Not an atheist but what justifies your belief in the Devil? Why can't God beat him? Why does he leave him there if he can beat him?

>> No.10063560

>>10060501
Anyone here considering becoming a priest? I'm going to a come and see weekend at a religious order nearby.

Also, who /Divine Comedy/ here?

>> No.10063596

>>10062864
God permits the Devil to exist in order to test our faith and tempt us to sin. Christian life is a long race to be run, not a gift to be given.

>> No.10063602

>>10062864
>Not an atheist but what justifies your belief in the Devil?

Scripture, in part. Jesus talks about Satan in the Gospels, and he doesn't seem to be speaking metaphorically. He also talks about a fiery netherworld of eternal torment for unrepentant sinners, and that doesn't seem to be a metaphor, either.

Beyond that, the long history of possessions and exorcisms indicate the reality of demonic forces at work in the world.

>> No.10063836

Someone, please recommend me some Traditional Catholic literature.

>> No.10063892

>>10063602
I believe in Hell I just don't buy into the whole idea that the Devil is somehow at war with God and is His adversary that he just cant seem to beat.

>> No.10063895

>>10063560
Was considering it, but feel I am drawn towards Eastern spirituality more than Western. But I can't seem to feel comfortable in an Eastern spiritual center/temple as much as a western church.

>> No.10063902

>>10063596
But isn't God at odds with the Devil? Why wouldn't he work with him if God wants him to exist? Idk I just don't get it. I do get that there are 'devilish' things in the world that tempt us away from God. I just don't buy that there is a guy who's at odds with God in charge of all things 'devilish.'

On another note, how do Christians justify some people having shit lives and others having good ones if they don't believe in reincarnation?

>> No.10063907
File: 143 KB, 606x1024, 606px-Le_Grand_Saint_Michel,_by_Raffaello_Sanzio,_from_C2RMF_retouched.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10063892
Oh, well, that's absolutely false. God's already won. He won at the Resurrection. Satan can't hope to defeat or overthrow God. God keeps him around for some reasons we don't know, and perhaps also to give mankind something to do, to sharpen our devotion to Christ. At the Second Coming the Devil will be even further defeated, unable to tempt souls any more.

God doesn't even fight the Devil himself when it comes to actual fighting. That's Michael's job.

>> No.10063932

>>10063907
That makes more sense than my previous understanding. Why did the Devil ever have a chance? Or did he not? God is all-powerful.

On an unrelated note, why is the Abrahamic God jealous?

>> No.10063944

>>10063932
As far as actually beating God, there never was any chance. God's omnipotent and omniscient, and Satan, for all his power, is limited. As far as ruling the universe himself goes, Satan has never had a chance. So, Satan essentially does all he does for spite. He saw that humanity was God's most favorite creation in the Garden of Eden, so he decided to ruin things by causing the Fall. Corrupting souls, ruining lives, leading men to Hell--Satan does it all for no other reason than spite. It doesn't actually harm God in any way, but Satan is a petty fuck so he tries to ruin the things God does purely to stick it to him. It's essentially a child throwing a tantrum.

>> No.10063952

>>10063944
But doesn't Satan often succeed in tempting men and getting them to go to hell, where they wouldn't absent his interference? And doesn't God say that that which is done to the least of His people, is done unto Him? So isn't God harmed by seeing his creations being led to hell?

>> No.10064376

>>10063902
God is not at odds with the Devil, he seems to be simply uninterested in having the Devil around. The idea of being, "at odds," simply does not apply to God. The very phrase, "at odds," implies that God can be defeated. He cannot, and never will be. Thus, when Lucifer tried to overthrow God, He simply threw him out. But, since all things in the universe have a place in the divine plan, God made use of him as the keeper of Hell and sinners

>On another note, how do Christians justify some people having shit lives and others having good ones if they don't believe in reincarnation?

By, "shit," and, "good," lives, I presume you mean material wealth. One possible answer is that man's purpose on this Earth is to learn how to love one another so that they can also learn how to love God and spend eternity with him (Catechism of the Catholic Church, Prologue, Section I). This is a very important fact about the world, as evinced by the fact that it is stated at the very beginning of the Catechism. You should also keep in mind that God simply is not that interested in the number of material goods and experiences we manage to collect on Earth, which is often what materially minded humans think is the purpose of life.

>> No.10064383

>>10060501
https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.hr/2017/09/CORRECTION.html?m=1
Francis has officially been accused of heresy.

>> No.10064384

>>10060501
Prayers for the salvation of all 4chan posters and readers:

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

>> No.10064386

catholics, a babylonian cult gone rampant, chose the blasphemous church over Christ.

>> No.10064409

>>10064383
>internet petition against the pope

oh wait you're serious

>> No.10064415

>>10064409
You can't actually sign it if you aren't a Catholic scholar or a priest.

>> No.10064746

Currently reading up on Canaanite religion, it's really cool. A lot of similarities to ancient Israelite religion but a lot of big differences too. You can see the commonalities in the gods/God patronising kings, a priestly group who oversee sacrifices, prayers for protection, the gods/God defeating sea monsters like Litan/Leviathan.

Obviously the huge differences are idols and multiple gods, the total aniconic worship of a god is unique for the period as far as I know.

>> No.10064854

>>10064386
Praying for you

>> No.10064870

>>10060501
Was getting crucified part of his plan?

>> No.10064876

>>10060501
Why is the fact that God is 3 separate persons but ultimately 1 God so important to Christianity?

>> No.10064888
File: 228 KB, 973x595, First Lutheran service in Brandenburg 1539.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm a Protestant (Lutheran), could any of you explain to me how you justify Mary being preserved from original sin (CCC 966)?

If at some point the Pope would contradict the Bible, who's word would you believe?

>> No.10064898
File: 1.84 MB, 2975x4860, pour les 4channeux.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If there's some French here

>> No.10064904
File: 1.13 MB, 2984x2290, Contre Révolution.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

also, the last line of this one is Literature but Counter-Revolution thinkers are important too

>> No.10064941

>>10064888
Have you not heard about the Filial Correction of Pope Francis for the propagating of heresies?

>> No.10064968

>>10064941
Quite an interesting case. I thought the Pope was believed to be infallible? Or is that only when he speaks from the chair?

>> No.10065133

>>10064904
Salut anon. I'm not French, but I did not know Baudelaire was against the revolution. Thanks for sharing that list. Have you made any others like this?

t. studied the French Revolution in university

>> No.10065246

>>10064968
He's infallible only ex cathedra.

>> No.10065262

The Psychedelic Experience and around 200-300ug LSD

Why wait for God when you can be Him

>> No.10065384
File: 134 KB, 666x868, IMG_3857.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10065719
File: 216 KB, 500x463, 1488404891271.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10064968
>Quite an interesting case
Sedevacantism is widespread in the Catholic church, the reigning clergy have actively propagated heretical contradictions to dogma. Thus the See of Peter and many other seats are vacant due to heretical imposters.

> I thought the Pope was believed to be infallible.
ex cathedra, from the chair, from the position of power that is the Holy See, as opposed to when he is at the pub or taking a dump.

The problem here is that the Vatican has been occupied by heretics since Pope Pius XII died leaving the Seat of Peter vacant.

>> No.10065745

>>10065384
fuk u demiurge

>> No.10066447

>>10064376
I don't necessarily mean material wealth. For example, there are some people who are tortured all their lives inside of a crazy man's basement. I don't know how Christians justify that if you guys don't have a system of karma and reincarnation. Meanwhile, there are other people born into a life of pleasantness and there are those of us who are born into Christian families that are more spiritual than atheistic families. How are those two people to be judged in the same way? With a system of reincarnation and karma this problem is solved. Someone born into a Christian family was a spiritual person in his previous life and was a decent person, which is why he's not in someone's basement being tortured.

>> No.10066514

A sinner: suffers, dies -loses.
A saint: suffers, dies -loses.
What's the point?

>> No.10066548

>>10066514
Everything.

>> No.10066623

>>10065719
It's not widespread at all. How many sedevacantist priests are there? It seems more common over the Internet because it's built around bitching about things, making it the perfect shitposting position.

>> No.10066631

>>10066447
Why would you have to introduce karma and reincarnation if you presuppose perfect justice and according to it salvation or damnation based on it with the emphasis on perfect.

>> No.10066650

I just bought Karen Armstrong's A History of God, how big did I fuck up

>> No.10066657

>>10066631

If your response to an empirical reductio ad absurdum is to simply reassert your position, you're not going to convert or impress anyone.

>> No.10066670

What's more important for God?
To have 1 billion more people born in Africa until 2050 - majority of them never even hearing about Christianity, living miserable life.
Or to just keep history going so that some random bored dude from western world would convert.

If being a Christian, believing in the dogma and having an active Church life is the condition for everlasting salvation, then it's spread very inefficiently - its preachers barely care about new converts and more and more people are born and die in their sins so to speak - earth servers no purpose but the create untold amount of souls for hell.

Might it just be the case that God doesn't exist? At least the Abrahamic one.

>> No.10066679

Is it still a branch of Catholicism if I unironically worship Satan for the wise man he is?

>> No.10066684

>>10066670
Read Job

>> No.10066697
File: 742 KB, 6000x3048, World Religions.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10065719
>the reigning clergy have actively propagated heretical contradictions to dogma. Thus the See of Peter and many other seats are vacant due to heretical imposters.
Schismatism makes you more Catholic? el oh el

>>10066670
>majority of them never even hearing about Christianity, living miserable life.
Christianity is actually pretty big in Africa

But your main point is the problem of evil, which has never fully been answered.

>>10066679
Uh, no

>>10066650
Badly, she massively over-simplifies and presents her views as fact when they're actually not widely accepted in academia.

>> No.10066715

>>10060501
I'd add the Ignatius Bible (RSV-2CE) to that woefully short translation list

>> No.10067073
File: 1.63 MB, 1200x772, 725_Cardinal_Burke_Cappa_Magna.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10064941
>tfw the correction from Burke and the other dubia cardinals is still coming

Shit's about to get wild, lads. Be sure to go to Confession regularly and also pray the Rosary regularly.

>> No.10067098

are you guys the same that used to makes threads in /pol/?

I used to participe there.

>> No.10067382

>>10061902
After Virtue

>> No.10067385

>>10064383
Actually read the thing anon, it is decidedly not a straightforward accusation of heresy.

>> No.10068077

>>10066657
If you aren't going to even try to understand the position of Catholicism on this and complete ignore the most important aspects of it there's really no point in talking to you anymore.

>> No.10068084

>>10066697
The problem of evil is rationally non existent- if God allows evil only so he could bring out a greater good in this life or the next (and the proof is irrefutable if you accept the premises, which Christianity does obviously) there is no obstacle at all. This has been such since Augustine and it's an emotional, rather than a rational one.

>> No.10068087

>>>/x/

>> No.10068100
File: 199 KB, 1800x1578, ca1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10068087
>Catholic Literature General
>Literature

>> No.10068103
File: 130 KB, 648x277, 1502842626416.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10068087

>> No.10068311

>>10067385
He's not been accused of conscious heresy, so yeah, he's not considered a heretic. But in a roundabout way they're accusing him of leaving room for people to have heretical ideas about marriage, since Amoris Laetitia has some pretty wishy-washy wording that could be interpreted to mean re-married divorcees should be allowed to receive the eucharist.

>> No.10068323

>>10068100
>>10068103
>/x/ - Paranormal

>> No.10068325

>>10068087
someone post this to r/4chan!!!

>> No.10068327

>>10068311
They aren't saying that it just could be interpreted, they are saying it is interpreted and he's personally advocating that interpretation (Buenos Aires letter, telling the Lutheran woman to take communion and break the Church law).

>> No.10068368
File: 13 KB, 185x272, you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10068323

>> No.10068431

What is the most approachable printing of the Catechism for a layman?

>> No.10068434

>>10068431
>What is the most approachable printing of the Catechism for a layman?
https://www.amazon.com/Compendium-United-States-Conference-Bishops/dp/1574557203
This one I'd say.

>> No.10068468
File: 301 KB, 400x225, 1475086846517.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10068434
Thank you that seems simpe enough

>> No.10068794

>>10066623
>heretical clergy/pope don't support priests that deny the legitimacy of the clergy/pope

Interesting, perhaps the massive depopulation of "catholic" churches is indicative of something.

>>10066697
Not compromising on facts makes you more Catholic.

>> No.10068821

>>10068368
>>10060501

The biggest fedoralords on this board are all fucking christians

>> No.10068875

>>10068794
It is the mark of a true schismatic to run from the Church when she is in the greatest danger.

>> No.10069092

>>10066684
It's worse now God is an asshole, we're his game - why have you forced me to think less of God now, fuck it - it's clear as fuck that we invented God.

>> No.10070336

>>10069092
>read Job
>this is pretty cool I wonder how God will answer Job's questions
>"I fought a giant dragon now shut the fuck up"
wtf the problem of evil is solved now

>> No.10070444

>>10069092
The point is not to doubt God because he was here before you and knows infinitely better than you.

>> No.10070466

>>10060501
>not having the Bruckner Te Deum as thread theme

>> No.10070655

I've read Augustine and Aquinas, and I've concluded that Catholicism is way too confusing and irrational for any one to believe in unless they just blindly put their faith in it. Am I missing something?

>> No.10070736

He's got nothing on the classics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKpk-oNla84

>> No.10070749

>>10070655
You forgot to read the bible

>> No.10070756
File: 356 KB, 1151x1525, Our-Lady-of-Guadalupe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10068087
/x/ isn't literate enough to talk about Catholicism in a serious way, though they are more amenable to miracles, healings, and apparitions.

>> No.10070811

>>10068821
[citation needed]

>> No.10071486

>>10070655
What do you think about the distinction of act and potency as an account of causality?

>> No.10072601

>>10070655
Augustine was the most logical spiritual reading I ever had

>> No.10072799

>>10070655
>lives in a confusing and irrational world
>doesn't understand how the explanation of that world could be just as confusing and irrational, if not more so

>> No.10072987

>>10062171
Work your salvation out in fear and trembling, friend.

https://youtu.be/sE1InDAnxT0

Good video on the topic of humility and against presumption. There are two or three from this channel concerning rudolf hoss, at least one of them hits this topic really well, and I think it is the linked one but I could be wrong.

>> No.10073002

>>10064888
https://www.catholic.com/tract/immaculate-conception-and-assumption

There is quite a bit to it, so you will probably have to read a concise article like the one above than have me stumble through it.

>> No.10074209

Bump

>> No.10074252
File: 712 KB, 2168x3300, 12_Tribes_of_Israel_Map.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Imma post some maps you might find useful for bible study

>> No.10074255
File: 144 KB, 846x1225, table of nations.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Location of the nations listed in Genesis 10

>> No.10074258
File: 138 KB, 846x1220, patriarchal locations.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10074264
File: 96 KB, 846x573, tabernacle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10074268
File: 247 KB, 571x800, biblical-boundaries.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10074280
File: 496 KB, 1200x1747, Davidic & Solomonic Kingdom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10074284
File: 591 KB, 980x1455, israel & judah.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10074288
File: 341 KB, 760x1011, Israel & Judah 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10074306
File: 227 KB, 1169x1016, Maccabees map.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10074309
File: 257 KB, 1001x1418, nt_israel-flat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10074512

>>10072987
I'm watching it now and it's great. Is this a sermon?

>> No.10075351

why is /pol/ so degenerate?

>> No.10075359

>>10075351
why don't you ask that question on /pol/, instead of on /lit/?

>> No.10075593

>>10063560
A 4chan browsing priest sounds terrifying

>> No.10075735

>>10075593
Priests are people just like anyone

>> No.10075737

The Christian counter-revolution has begun. Cultural Marxists are afraid of people with strong beliefs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvl_J_Qn5JM

>> No.10075961

>>10075593
I don't know, this site seems ripe for evangelization. So many people are interested in Christianity, if only superficially. 4chan might not be a bad place to preach the Gospel. It would be like St. Patrick going to Ireland.

>> No.10076394

>>10075961
Has anyone here been helped by 4chan on their journey to the faith?

>> No.10076395

>>10076394
Yes, many.

>> No.10076431

>>10076395
There was a high point in Catholic/Christian population around 2014-2015

>> No.10076449

>>10076394
Introduced me to kirkegaard. I was an atheist before coming here but eventually became disolutioned with fedoras

>> No.10077581

>>10076394
I've partially been influenced by this site to return to Catholicism, but there were some personal experiences I had which had a much bigger impact. 4chan was more of a place for me to test my new views and see that they held over my previous views.

>> No.10077817

>>10060501
Do you guys know any comfy Christian documentaries to watch before sleep?

Some that I have enjoyed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nz7C0Kr9OA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGqtStYEnTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vcf-vf4aUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSm120gFlQ

>> No.10079168

>>10075735
>>10075961
There is no way that browsing this site for recreation is good for anyone's spiritual health.

>> No.10079437
File: 211 KB, 736x898, 5612beaa90641b9993a8e7f0bdf9b7a2--holy-rosary-the-rosary.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10079168
You'd be surprised. This site has a way of inspiring spiritual rigor, in more ways than one.

>> No.10080417

>>10079168
Depends. It's probably the best source of reliable recommendations of Catholic literature.

>> No.10080470

>>10072601
For me is what Georgy of Palamas and Vladimir lossky

>> No.10080476

I'm a Protestant and want to read a Catholic book arguing against Protestantism. I've started reading Dogmatik but its focusing quite a lot on technicalities like specific forms of revelation and things like that

>> No.10080479

>>10080470
For me it was_ correction
Vision of God lossky
Triads- Gregory of Palamas

>> No.10080517

>>10080476
Dogmatik is a manual for priests that has most of what they need to know about theology, it's not supposed to be written against protestantism specifically.

>> No.10080521

>>10080476
You should look to Essay on Development of Christian Doctrine and Apologia Pro Vita Sua by John Henry Newman for those topics.

>> No.10080590

>>10080521
both of these are free on kindle. Think I'll drop Dogmatik in favor of these. Thanks a lot man!

>> No.10081409

How to deal with repressing sexual desires? Is trying to be chaste damaging? I ask God takes control of such desires because its so primitive and thus an inescapable facet of humans. Lust isnt something i can control

>> No.10081487

>>10081409
It isn't something you can control now, if you devote yourself to prayer and meditation you will be able to. There's not that much to it.

>> No.10082036

>>10080476
It's mainly biography but it's biography for someone deeply into Protestant theology: Try Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn

>> No.10082105

>>10079437
Not on most boards. /pol/ is full of KJV-only insane protestants.

>> No.10082125

>>10063560
Yes. Considering a vocation with the ICKSP or the Oratory of St Philip of Neri

>> No.10082129

>>10080476

The Fullness of Truth by James Seghers and The Protestant's Dilemma by Devin Rose

>> No.10082132

>>10063836
There's a plethora of free trad books here http://www.traditionalcatholic.co/free-catholicbooks/

>> No.10082138

>>10064383
He's not been accused of heresy. They're saying that he's encouraging ideas which could lead to heresy.

>> No.10082152

>>10066514
One goes to heaven to experience eternal bliss with God, the other goes to hell to the weeping and gnashing?

>> No.10082163

>>10066670
The Catholic Church has always had a big missionary presence, it's not spread "inefficiently" at all. Priests and religious brothers sailed half way across the world, risking death, to the New World, to make new converts.

>> No.10082777

>>10082132
The split between the modernists and the traditionalists is the strongest I would say in providing reading material. Anyone interested in the faith will necessarily stumble upon the one, but not the other.

>> No.10082785

>>10066670
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth. For the first heaven and the first earth was gone, and the sea is now no more. And I John saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice from the throne, saying: Behold the tabernacle of God with men, and he will dwell with them. And they shall be his people; and God himself with them shall be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away. And he that sat on the throne, said: Behold, I make all things new. And he said to me: Write, for these words are most faithful and true.

And he said to me: It is done. I am Alpha and Omega; the beginning and the end. To him that thirsteth, I will give of the fountain of the water of life, freely. He that shall overcome shall possess these things, and I will be his God; and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, they shall have their portion in the pool burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. And there came one of the seven angels, who had the vials full of the seven last plagues, and spoke with me, saying: Come, and I will shew thee the bride, the wife of the Lamb. And he took me up in spirit to a great and high mountain: and he shewed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God,

>> No.10082813

>>10080476
Get a hold of a copy of St. Francis de Sales, "The Catholic Controversy".
He was a bishop who traveled to Geneva and single-handedly rescued it from Calvinism.

When you have time, have look through Bossuet's "history of the variations of the Protestant churches."
https://archive.org/stream/historyofvariati01boss#page/7/mode/1up

You can also look up St. Robert Bellarmine's "On the Roman Pontiff".

These are all counter-reformation classics.

For now, read this brief sermon by a 19th century Jesuit priest:
https://www.olrl.org/apologetics/churchbible.shtml

>> No.10082876

>>10082813
>Get a hold of a copy of St. Francis de Sales, "The Catholic Controversy".
is there a recommended translation of this

>> No.10083173

>>10074512
Yeah, that channel is really good.

>> No.10084267

Shakespeare was Catholic.

>> No.10084465

>>10084267
It will never be proven unless a new document arises. One can make a good argument for it, but there's no good proof. Outwardly he was Anglican, but did he hide priests in his house? Who knows. In London he lived with French Protestant refugees for a time. Yes, his mother was Catholic and many Ardens and Shakespeares are and were Catholics, but who knows?

>> No.10085386

Where does the "latin mass churches are full of young people" meme come from? I have been to four different latin mass churches, and while I love the latin mass, at three of those churches it was still mostly old people and at the other it was just a normal age distribution, still skewing on the side of older people.

Also, do you think there is going to be a new schism soon? People like Rod Dreher are now claiming its inevitable because the liberals in the Church want reform at any cost.

>> No.10085592

>>10085386
Well because the meme is true. It at least has been for me. Average age is like 25 with maybe 5-6 people being older than 50.
And a schism is quite possible if Francis continues doing what he's doing.

>> No.10085830
File: 12 KB, 300x396, hm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10085386
>>10085592
>State which post you did
>State your location

>> No.10086063
File: 17 KB, 250x250, costanza.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10060501

>literary classics
>no Endo
>no Greene

>> No.10086176
File: 25 KB, 641x530, 1489142658636.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10061902
Robert Spitzer Tetralogy

>> No.10086203
File: 40 KB, 416x300, _44442800_gascoignerangers416[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

where did all these soap-dodgin', left-footers come from?

Fuck the pope

>> No.10086555

>>10086063
>shitty, nihilistic, and heretical Japanese novel from the 60s that got turned onto a movie
>classic

Moron.

>> No.10086594

>>10086203
>soap-dodgin' left-footers
What did he mean by this?

>> No.10086615

I really want to believe in God and the Resurrection of Jesus. I can sorta buy it from the historical evidence for the events surrounding the life and death of Jesus and the fine tuning argument etc, but (like when you are looking at customer reviews for a restaurant/product) whenever I see an argument against God I start to doubt regardless of how basic the argument is.

Like something as trivial and low effort as "but what if I'm wrong tho" or "muh magic sky fairy" is enough to totally throw me.

I guess my question is, how did you guys find your faith?

>> No.10086748

Does anybody have the meme where there’s the n-person sleeping while dozens of problems facing the church are listed, but he gets woke when trump threatens “refugees”? I thought I saved it but I can’t find it.

>> No.10086805

>>10086615
I read Kierkegaard. That kicked it off and started me going to church, which then led to reading a bunch of other philosophy.

>> No.10086839

>>10064870
Rev 13:8.

You tell me.

>> No.10086847

>>10064968
>I thought the Pope was believed to be infallible?
It's debatable, I suppose, but the correction seems to turn on a pastoral question. Popes are not infallible wrt pastoral guidance (as distinguished from doctrinal matters).

>> No.10086877
File: 21 KB, 269x206, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

End the suffering.

>> No.10086880

>>10075737
noice

>> No.10086978
File: 198 KB, 1000x1000, Pope-Alexander-VI-c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10086847
Popes can be sinful and heretical as fuck. The institution of the papacy is protected from error through the Holy Spirit, but popes as people can be fairly awful. Pic related, Alexander VI was pretty rotten. A lot of the Renaissance popes were. But the Church itself endures such things.

>> No.10087050

>>10080476
Evangelical is Not Enough by Thomas Howard

The Mass of the Early Christians by Mike Aquilina

Upon this Rock by Steve Ray

Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating

Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic by David B. Currie

The Faith of our Fathers by James Cardinal Gibbons. Written by an American cardinal specifically to explain the Catholic faith to Protestants at a time when Catholics were regarded with considerable suspicion in the US. Many scriptural references. Really quite excellent.
>http://www.amazon.com/The-Faith-Fathers-James-Gibbons/dp/1484922506

It's in the public domain and is available free online:
>http://www.gutenberg.org/files/27435/27435-pdf.pdf

The Fathers Know Best by Jimmy Akin

Behold Your Mother - A Biblical and Historical Defense of the Marian Doctrines by Tim Staples

N.B. These are all works aimed at mainstream readers.

A more scholarly work is John Paul II's encyclical Redemptoris Mater, which is published in a very nice paperback edition titled "Mary: God's Yes to Man," with a nice introduction by then-Cardinal Ratzinger:
>https://www.amazon.com/Mary-Encyclical-Letter-Mother-Redeemer/dp/0898702194

This encyclical is *not* aimed at persuading Protestants. As a Catholic, I found it quite enlightening and profound; I'm not quite sure how a Protestant would react.

Mary the Second Eve by John Henry Newman. A compilation of excerpts from Newman, this is a good, short (48 pp) explanation of Catholic Marian doctrines aimed at Protestants.

>> No.10087106

>>10086555
It is a classic, you don't need to like it for it to be one.

>> No.10087119

>>10086063
>Endo, Shusaku – Silence
??????

>> No.10087131

>>10086978
>Popes can be sinful and heretical as fuck
>The institution of the papacy is protected from error through the Holy Spirit
How is this not a contradiction? thats like me saying
>fish can be dry as fuck, but their constant wetness is protected by being in water
not trying to shit post, but I wanna understand what you mean

>> No.10087170
File: 54 KB, 445x567, Pius-IX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10087131
The Church's Sacred Tradition, its teachings which have the same weight as Scripture, are the truly infallible elements of the Church. All the clergy are ultimately transmitters of this Tradition in addition to their administering of the Sacraments. The pope, as head of the Church and greatest of all the clergy, is the highest and greatest proclaimer of Sacred Tradition. To him is gifted the power of the Ex Cathedra proclamation, wherein in he himself proclaims an aspect of Tradition, speaking for the whole of the Church as a mystical institution. In this respect, he is infallible.

But this is the pope acting in an official, and a divine, capacity. It's akin to the official proclamations of a king. But the pope says and does many other things merely in his capacity as a man, and these don't carry the weight of Tradition, and therefore are not protected from error. Think of Francis and all his off the cuff, unscripted remarks. They may be what he himself thinks, and they're thus useful, but they are not proclamations of doctrine and dogma. They're not infallible and they're not protected from error.

The pope, as the occupier of the Chair of Peter, is protected from error and sin, but as a man, distinct from his office, he can be sinful and heretical. There have been popes who have avoided sin and heresy, and these typically wind up as saints, like Gregory the Great and Pius X. But one doesn't need to be a saint to be pope. The saintliness is intrinsic to the human being, but the office of the papacy, with all its powers and privileges, comes upon that human, and will depart from him when his service is done.

I hope that clears it up a little.

>> No.10087178

>>10087170
>To him is gifted the power of the Ex Cathedra proclamation, wherein in he himself proclaims an aspect of Tradition, speaking for the whole of the Church as a mystical institution. In this respect, he is infallible.
so a pope has never in all of history abused this power? or he has but it just gets recanted at a later time?

>> No.10087189

>>10087178
>so a pope has never in all of history abused this power?

No, because they literally can't. An Ex Cathedra proclamation is a proclamation on behalf of God Himself. It literally can't be abused according to the ordering of the universe. The Holy Spirit would actively work in the world to prevent a pope from making an erroneous Ex Cathedra proclamation. The pope might even be struck dead if it came to that. There are mighty forces at work here.

>> No.10087196

>>10086615
>I really want to believe in God and the Resurrection of Jesus.

Not this book specifically, but the basic *argument* presented in this book was very important for me regaining my faith as a young man:

Michael Green, Was Jesus Who He Said He Was?

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Was-Jesus-Who-He-Said/dp/0892836245

With some hesitancy, I also recommend the book More Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell. I hesitate because the book is unfortunately written in a rather golly-gee-whize style that seems to be aimed at cornfed midwestern junior high school students.

That said -- the facts and the argument set forth in the book (which is essentially the same argument Michael Green makes) are really very strong and quite persuasive, imho. With the caveat about its unfortunate style in mind, I recommend the book quite strongly; indeed, it sets forth a more thorough and compelling body of facts regarding, say, the manuscript evidence than does Green's book

Link: https://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Carpenter-Josh-McDowell/dp/1414326270

Both the Green and the McDowell are quite short.

You might also try an excellent book of Catholic conversion stories titled "Spiritual Journeys"

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Journeys-Robert-Baram/dp/0819868760/

Trust me, well-written conversion stories (and those in this book are well written) can be quite compelling and inspiring. This is a really excellent book.

>Like something as trivial and low effort as "but what if I'm wrong tho" or "muh magic sky fairy" is enough to totally throw me.

In all honesty, I think a very reasonable counter to someone who says something like that is to inquire whether they believe that everything evolved out of nothing -- or if not nothing, then a tiny dense speck of matter smaller than the period at the end of this sentence, which exploded.

The standard atheist rebuttal to this is: Well, then where did God come from? Or simply: Who made God?

To which one possible reply is: The fact that *things exist*, that *anything* exists, necessarily implies a necessary being, or "unmoved mover."

I.e., the cosmological argument.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cosmological-argument/

The cosmological argument admittedly doesn't get you to the God of the Bible, but it does refute the fedora tipper's "who made God?" rejoinder.

>I guess my question is, how did you guys find your faith?

I got down on my knees and prayed, from a position of agnosticism with respect to God and outright skepticism wrt Christianity. And God answered my prayer, but slowly. It took two or three years - a gradual process of illumination.

>> No.10087215

>>10076449
kierkegaard was a huge fedoralord.

>> No.10088042

>>10085386
I can also attest that its true. Average age at my Church is probably like 30 something, with something like 30% being early 20s and younger (thats pretty crazy, especially because they are not just there because ugh grandma makes me go). Also I live in a city that's basically a retirement haven, so it is filled to the brim with old people.

>> No.10088109

>>10075593
There's a priest who makes threads on /pol/ from time to time, really knows his stuff

>> No.10089294
File: 584 KB, 2083x2239, 973ed28c182611f5f859902245bcb302.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Saint Jerome statue at the Croatian Embassy in Washington, D.C.

Saint Jerome, the priest, monk and Doctor of the Church, is celebrated by the Church with his memorial today, September 30.

Patron saint of translators, librarians and encyclopedists, and people with difficult personalities—"owing to the sometimes extreme approach which he took in articulating his scholarly opinions and the teaching of the Church."

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/saint.php?n=610

>> No.10089339
File: 507 KB, 1638x888, history of papacy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10087170
What are we as Catholics supposed to make of stuff such as I've underlined in these passages? What kind of authority did the pope have if he was merely appointed by emperors? Is the title "Bishop of Rome" enough to give the pope his authority because of St. Peter?

I'm beginning to wonder if the Pope did not really begin to have true authority until the Papal States because then he could be more independent of outside factors. If this view is wrong, why is it wrong?

I don't know. Just my two cents. I'm no scholar, I'm just asking what we're meant to think of the Pope in history when he was not chosen independently by the clergy. To me, being appointed by the Emperor seems to undermine the authority of the seat.

>> No.10089343

>>10089294
>people with difficult personalities
So patron saint of anon?

>> No.10089348

>weigel
Get that Catholic Whig shit out of here OP.

>> No.10089357

Also Im 100 % sure that Tradical lurks this thread

>> No.10089365

>>10075737
Lol shut up. Read the documents of Vatican II.

>> No.10089389

>>10089343
Yes, and possibly the patron saint of 4chan.

(I'm waiting for someone to say " 'Greatest Doctor of the Church,' wut?" so I can say "Fight me irl.")

>> No.10089515

>>10089357
Yes, I even saw him screenshot me once and post it. Or one of his mates. Would like to get him in my discord.

>> No.10089537

>>10089515
dont. he's Not Good, imo.

>> No.10089645

>>10089537
He's a certified patrician, that's usually enough.

>> No.10089665

>>10089645
Incorrect.