[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 71 KB, 271x388, 1324077039545.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8744981 No.8744981 [Reply] [Original]

How's your tulpa doing /jp/?

>> No.8744992

too much effort, i am a lazy fuck

>> No.8744988

Currently making a CurryButt tulpa

he's behaving like a huge faggot, is that normal?.

>> No.8744994 [DELETED] 

Alright, but it makes me sad knowing that I'll never `actually' meet her.

>> No.8745000

>>8744994
But you can meet her.

>> No.8745005

>>8744988
Sick doubs bro

>> No.8745008

get out tulpa devs

>> No.8745014

What the fuck is tulpa? a new /jp/ autism thing?

>> No.8745016

>>8745014
Basically yes, but it's not only /jp/.

>> No.8745048

>>8745014
Basically a /jp/er keeps pretending that he can see his waifu and then he'll actually see her.

>> No.8745050

Autist who is still waiting for some sort of published article on the existence of this phenomenon here.

Tried it a couple of times out of boredom, but having a hard time staying focused. It would probably go a lot better if I was actually confident it was going to work.

>> No.8745053

>>8745050
Try meditating.

>> No.8745054

>Kazari Uiharu
worst toaru

>> No.8745057

>>8745053
Fuck off, shitty troll. #7'd you and your thread.

>> No.8745062

if you want to discuss tulpa:
>>>/mlp/771081
irc: tulpa

>> No.8745073

>>8745050
>Autist who is still waiting for some sort of published article on the existence of this phenomenon here.
C.G.Jung had a tulpa called Philemon (or Basilides). He even made his tulpa write a book called Seven Sermons to the Dead.

>> No.8745076
File: 266 KB, 781x3219, New guide.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8745078

>>8745062
Stop connecting this shit with /mlp/ they are all fucking idiots that only want to fuck their tulpas. They don't have the determination to do it correctly.

>> No.8745082

>>8745078
Like a bunch of middle school dropouts that jerk off to Touhou could do any better.

>> No.8745084
File: 70 KB, 271x388, yb3w4hzz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8745092

>>8745078
Let them be and hope they stop posting cause well, i heard that if you do that your tulpa gets hooked on that and things doesn't end well.
>>8745082
suck my cock dude

>> No.8745093

>>8745073
Jung was a crazy motherfucker, and is only studied today by pseudoscientists and crazy people.

>> No.8745091

>>8745078
There's some interesting discussion from time to time but I agree most of them lack determination.
>>8745082
Of course we can, this is /jp/

>> No.8745101

>>8745092
>doesn't
Dont*

fuck me

>> No.8745104

>>8745076
Interesting but I fail to see how is this possible.

>> No.8745114

>>8745093
So do you really expect an article on tulpas written by somebody sane?

>> No.8745121

>>8745104
Why? People believing in God can sometimes hear His voice during the prayer. And God doesn't exist, so it's only in their heads. Just like tulpa. Faith is powerful.

>> No.8745124

>>8745114
Creating a tulpa doesn't make you insane though.

>> No.8745132

>>8745124
Yup, but normal people generally don't make themselves imaginary friends (however, if you look at religions...)

>> No.8745143

>>8745132
Yeah but not being normal doesn't make you insane.

>> No.8745147

>>8745143
That's only because normal people are the ones who define insanity.

>> No.8745149

>>8745147
True.

>> No.8745202

>>8745050
While one could probably frame this more solidly withing some cognitive model, I think the easiest you could get to imagine it is think about your dreams: you can have quite impressive characters in your dreams which nevertheless are different from you and which you might not be able to directly predict or understand (separate from your own conscious self, but similar, sort of like an extension of your subconscious). Now imagine that someone could train themselves to do all that consciously, just like humans develop their own conscious self. Personally I'm a bit skeptical myself about some of the claimed PROPERTIES of such mental constructs, but the only way to know the details is to try it yourself.

>> No.8745211
File: 14 KB, 327x319, 1332383718640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tulpas are perfectly possible and there's no reason to be skeptical.

They're a constructed manifestation of your subconscious that appears to become increasingly real as the intensity of your hallucinations progress. Tulpas are what would happen if you took a little kid with an imaginary friend and then trapped him inside an empty room with nothing to do but talk to himself for two months. His extended isolation and disconnection from other people would strengthen the bond with his imaginary friend and soon he would begin to hear him and then fully hallucinate at some point.

The hallucinations are brought about by intense concentration on a personality within yourself that isn't actually real and extended periods of isolation. This large amount of inward focus causes you to detach from reality more and more, but this is also why tulpas/thought-forms will disappear if you stop paying attention to them for a long enough time. They exist as long as you allow yourself to essentially live inside of your mind, but if you become too distracted with external things and the real world then they're going to begin fading away.

The only bullshit about tulpas is the idea that they're some kind of magical entity that you bring into this world and they can somehow harm you. That's just more of /x/'s crazy bullshit.

>> No.8745225

>>8745211
>entity that you bring into this world and they can somehow harm you.
That's part of creating a tulpa though. The belief that they could hurt you if they attempted it is part of their reality.
Like fight club, tyler durden was a tulpa.

>> No.8745222

>>8745211
>Tulpas are perfectly possible and there's no reason to be skeptical.
Except there's no rigorous scientific evidence supporting the possibility of tulpas.

>> No.8745230

>>8745211
>Tulpas are perfectly possible and there's no reason to be skeptical.
>They're a constructed manifestation of your subconscious
The subconscious is a word with no real meaning.
>[describing an unethical experiment]
So you've trapped a kid in a room for months and successfully got them to describe their hallucinations to you? In what journal is this report published?

>> No.8745226

>>8745211
Sounds pretty impossible to me. At the moment, no human knows enough about how minds work to actually model one, and even if someone did, I doubt the brain has the mental horsepower to model some extra minds just like that. You could explain it as not your mind modelling another mind but as another mind running in parallel with yours on the same hardware. I don't know a ton about neuroanatomy, but this doesn't sound possible, and my understanding is that it would be completely contrary to how all other forms of mental modelling work, namely that they're mostly a frontal lobe thing.

Look at it like this: To accurately model flying objects like aeroplanes, engineers have to create extremely complicated, high-fidelity physics simulations that run on supercomputers. In a dream, when you see something flying, your brain is not doing all that modelling. It can't. And not just because you yourself don't know the physics equations. You simply don't have the processing power. So the brain uses a cheap heuristic instead and bases the movement of the flying thing on some specific memories you have of seeing flying things or on an extremely simple understanding of physical principles or something like that. When you encounter "beings" in your dreams, it's the same. The brain doesn't understand minds well enough to actually model one, and it doesn't have the processing power even if it did. So it cheats.

>> No.8745247

>>8745202
>>8745211
I have no doubt that they're theoretically possible. My only doubt comes from the idea that a psychologically normal person can make one intentionally.

All I'm looking for is some properly documented evidence to suggest that people have succeeded. All my Googling has turned up so far is threads like these, a bunch of /x/-style mysticism bullshit, and the somewhat dubious Jung report already mentioned.

>> No.8745251

She was gone for a year, but now she is always there. Whenever I fuck up, or do something that makes me feel guilty, I can hear her laughing or making fun of me, sitting somewhere in my room. Sometimes I have short conversations with her. She can see through me, it's impossible to hide anything from her, and her intuition is very sharp, so I usually ask her for advice before doing anything.

Now she's telling me I'm only posting this to get attention. Haha. She's absolutely right.

>> No.8745260

>>8745226

>You could explain it as not your mind modelling another mind but as another mind running in parallel with yours on the same hardware.
>Another mind

This is the misunderstanding that people have about tulpas. You're not creating a fully formed personality within yourself that exists independently in any real way. You're creating a hallucination that interacts with you as if it was an independent personality. It's the same simple illusion that you see in visual novels or video games. The characters speak and appear to act independently, but they aren't a separate consciousness that exists within the game file. They aren't real and they only exist when you interact with them.

There is no tulpa consciousness that exists within you and has the ability to think and contemplate itself when you're not interacting with it. You're not literally creating a second fully formed consciousness.

It is identical to the hallucinations of persistent characters and themes that a schizophrenic would experience, but it's controlled and self-induced. A schizophrenic doesn't have multiple people living inside of his head and his mind doesn't require mental horsepower to maintain all of these personalities floating around in his head because they have no real independent consciousness, they're just hallucinations, but they still appear just as real as anyone else to the person who is hallucinating and that's the whole appeal of tulpas.

Whether or not they really have a consciousness is irrelevant. All that matters is the illusion.

>> No.8745268

>>8745260
And if they're not around, the reason they are not around is not because you aren't currently envisioning them, but because they're in another room or something.
One thing I'd like is to hear real sounds (you know, sometimes you just get sounds from fucking nothing in a house) and wrap that into the tulpa's doing.

>> No.8745274

I have no need for a tulpa OP, I have schizophrenia already.

>> No.8745282

>>8745274
What would happen if a schizophrenic had a tulpa, though? You could be the first double schizophrenic in history.

>> No.8745292

>>8745247
There's a bunch of blogs of people attempting it and an IRC channel with people who supposendly made them. Either way, everyone has the right to be skeptical, so if you really want to find out if it would work, why not try it yourself? The whole thing is subjective in nature, so the best way is to try it by yourself. I can imagine pretty interesting things myself, and such a process can even go without conscious effort in dreams, so it at least seems plausible enough to be worth a try - 100 hours of work doesn't seem that bad for an experiment, there are longer VNs out there.

>>8745260
> There is no tulpa consciousness that exists within you and has the ability to think and contemplate itself when you're not interacting with it. You're not literally creating a second fully formed consciousness.
This isn't obvious. /jp/ already discussed this before: http://archive.foolz.us/jp/thread/8712977/#8714531

>> No.8745289

>>8745282
Bonus points if the tulpa is also schizophrenic.

>> No.8745295

>>8745289
a tulpa can't be schizophrenic you mongoloid

>> No.8745296

>>8745282
Not the anon you're replying to, but I've first symptoms of schizophrenia and I'm thinking of making a tulpa before onset of the disease, to have a friendly hallucination that can help me with getting used to seeing unreal things.

>> No.8745299

>>8745295
You can't know until you've tried.

>> No.8745304

how is this related to a japanese culture board

>> No.8745306

>>8745304
This isn't a Japanese culture board.

>> No.8745307

>>8745295
It shares the same circuitry. Might it not report similar experiences?

Some FAQ from before ( http://i43.tinypic.com/11uaixv.jpg ) suggested that those with such mental illnesses might not be able to make such "thoughtforms" in a controllable manner, which might be an issue for them.

>> No.8745311

>>8745306
I don't think you understand Japanese culture. I myself visited Japan a few years ago. Everyone has huge eyes and brightly colored hair, and they go around NTRing each other and fighting monsters then getting raped in amusing ways.

Food was shit though.

>> No.8745309

>>8745304
>/jp/ - Otaku Culture

>> No.8745312

>>8745292
Well, I am trying, but I think my skepticism is getting in the way, which is why I've been looking for credible evidence. Either way, my VN backlog is running low, so I guess I'll keep at it. At least then I'll know.

>> No.8745320

>>8745312
You can't really find evidence for something like this, but you should at least be aware of the power of placebos.
The point is to manually give yourself a mental disorder.
And the brain is weird as fuck in this way in that it is actually possible.
If I was designing the brain I'd add more protection against positive feedback loops.

>> No.8745332

>>8745320
Positive feedback loops are incredibly helpful for learned behavior though. It can cause weird shit when it goes wrong of course, especially when you're intentionally using it.

>> No.8745333

>>8745320
The brain wasn't designed for the modern environment. If it had been we would all have eidetic memory.

>> No.8745334

You'll have fun for a while but when you get tired of him or he gets annoying you will want to get rid of him, you'll try to ignore it, he will starve, then he probably will try to scare the shit out of you, or even try to kill you. That's why you must create a failsafe

>> No.8745338

>>8745247

>My only doubt comes from the idea that a psychologically normal person can make one intentionally.

I doubt it, but only because the process of creating a tulpa will cause you to stop being psychologically normal. It's intense self-delusion and isolation for an extended period of time. Rather than looking up documented evidence of tulpas, just look up reports of what has happened to humans in extended isolation. Hallucinations are very common during long periods of isolation and creating a tulpa is a very similar process.

Honestly, I can't imagine a sane, socially successful, and normal person who would willingly subject themselves to this. The degree of isolation and self-delusion needed to make a tulpa that you can actually communicate with in any meaningful way requires an almost complete separation from reality and putting someone through an experiment like that is extremely unethical, as someone mentioned earlier with the hypothetical situation of the child in the empty room for two months.

The nice part about this though is that most of us have been living like this already and creating a tulpa has a practical and useful purpose when you're already a socially isolated NEET who never goes outside.

>> No.8745340

>>8745320
> You can't really find evidence for something like this
DID seems to be a case of such a disorder - doctors/researchers can only judge by personal reports, and actually knowing how much is conscious self-delusion and how much is beyond that is not possible with today's technology. Tulpas isn't exactly DID, but it's similar in both its nature and in ways scientific evidence for it has to be judged (rather shoddy methodology).

Since it's a subjective phenomenon, for now, you'll have to try it by yourself, otherwise like all subjective phenomena, it will be deemed non-existing, along with consciousness if you take a materialist monist/eliminitivist ontology.

>> No.8745377

Aren't most of us schizoids anyway?

It seems like we're the best people to make a tulpas. One step away from schizophrenia.

>> No.8745380

Sounds real waebuu.

>> No.8745391

What are you imagining for your tulpa, /jp/?

I'm having trouble deciding on 3D or 2D. Obviously either way it will technically be 3D, but do I want to somehow find an example of a cute 3D girl that I could use or should I try something like a cell-shaded version of a 2D girl? Ideally 2D would be perfect, but I don't want some human sized piece of paper walking around my room. It's a hard question and it's going to require some pondering.

>> No.8745392

CUZ IM ONE STEP CLOSER TO THE EDGE IMMA BOUT TO BREAK!

>> No.8745398

You're all fucking idiots.

>> No.8745396

I was kind of entertaining the idea of making a tulpa for a while, I thought it might be interesting, though I guess I didn't have enough motivation.

I suppose it's all fine and good though, because all of the narrow-minded faggots in this thread have taken away all of the sense of wonder I had for it.

Now it just sounds boring and mundane, like all of the other stuff documented in your rigorous experiments.

>> No.8745402

>>8745391
Why not 2D, or 3DCG-like?

>> No.8745413

>>8745396
Oh no, the rainbow has been explained, the rainbow is no longer interesting: lesswrong.com/lw/op/fake_reductionism/
Why do you require something to be un-understandable for it to be interesting?
Surely dreams are still wonderful and your own experience is still wonderful, even if we have potential explanations for them?

>> No.8745431

>>8745396
I won't do this, sounds too difficult and vague. Hey, these people have detailed how to achieve this and the underlying possibilities behind it. Now I still won't do it because they have ruined the wonder and mystery!
It's interesting to see your own thought process in how you make up reasons for not doing something. I imagine you do this with everything.

>> No.8745446

>>8745396
Conversely, I tend to appreciate thngs more once I understand the process behind them.

>> No.8745450

>>8745413
It doesn't need to be un-understandable. It only needs to have an interesting explanation.

Most of science is just incredibly mundane. The stuff that does interest me (for example, string theory) is so complicated that when I try to look up info on it, it feels like what I'm reading is in another language entirely.

>>8745431
It's not that it sounded vague or anything. It did sound difficult, but that just means that it requires determination. That doesn't mean I wasn't interested in doing it. Actually, I've been planning on doing it, and the fact that I made that post shows that I still have interest, but just felt like saying something about how this thread.

Though to be honest, I really wonder why people like you get so frustrated just because of something someone said, especially when it has nothing to do with you.

>>8745446
Why is that?

>> No.8745457

>>8745450

What does it really change though? What is your motivation for wanting a tulpa in the first place?

If it's just because it's something that sounded kind of cool and mysterious then I could see why you might be disappointed by explanations, but I also don't think that motivation is enough to give you the kind of determination needed to make a tulpa.

If you want a tulpa for the reason that most people seem to though (extreme loneliness and a need for love or companionship) then I don't see how this changes anything. If anything it should make you feel more encouraged because at least you know that tulpas aren't some ridiculous shit that /x/ cooked up.

>> No.8745462

I have nothing against tulpas, but goddamn the word itself sounds mighty retarded and repulsive.

>> No.8745464

>>8745450
>The stuff that does interest me (for example, string theory) is so complicated that when I try to look up info on it, it feels like what I'm reading is in another language entirely.
Are you trying to say that the only interesting explanations are the ones you can't understand? String theory isn't actually that complicated, it just requires highly abstract math.

>> No.8745465

/jp/ - Paranormal

>> No.8745470

>>8745450
>Why is that?
I dunno, that's just how I am. That's why I've always been interested in science and shit, and why I'm studying engineering.

>> No.8745471

>>8745462
i could say the same about touhou

>> No.8745474

>>8745471
At least Touhou sounds Japanese.

>> No.8745475

>>8745465
More like /jp/ - Brain Science

>> No.8745477

>>8745450
> The stuff that does interest me (for example, string theory) is so complicated that when I try to look up info on it, it feels like what I'm reading is in another language entirely.
Because it is another language: mathematical structures discovered to model certain physical phenomena. The goal isn't to appear "mystical", merely to make things more explorable and understandable. It's not their fault you can't read it (or maybe it is, that stuff requires spending a few years studying all the prerequisites before you actually get to understand superstring theory).

As for tuplas, even with all the possible explanations being thrown around and various ways to go about it, I still have plenty of questions about its nature which I doubt can be answered without actually making on yourself. In that way, it would be very much a way of exploring your mind. It's understandable if you don't want to do it because of a variety of reasons (such as being lazy, being unable to focus, social issues and so on), but to call it mundane or "fully understood" is just wrong.

>> No.8745490

Okay how do I make one? I'm imaging a giant vagina!

>> No.8745507

>>8745282
>What would happen if a schizophrenic had a tulpa, though? You could be the first double schizophrenic in history.
I rather not because it's a consciously made hallucination and that shit is not going to fly with the voices in my head and the visual hallucination of a sadist Russian loli.

>> No.8745514
File: 40 KB, 383x377, 1328074046018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8745477

>but to call it mundane or "fully understood" is just wrong.

Exactly. Tulpas are one most interesting and least understood things that I can think of, mostly because very few people are crazy enough to make one.

It's a practically a whole uncharted frontier of mental exploration and adventure. I can't think of anything more exciting than a journey into the depths of your own mind and pretty much all of /jp/ is filled with prime candidates, since we're all a bit delusional anyway.

>> No.8745521

>>8745457
Well... It's not extreme loneliness, but I do think it would be very nice to have someone else around... And I also want to understand myself better. There's also the fact that learning to meditate would be nice even if it doesn't end in me being able to create a tulpa.

I never really needed any confirmation of it though... I don't really mind that, and in fact, I like the idea of trying to force it to happen even when it doesn't sound likely/possible.

So it doesn't really change anything, I guess. Everyone has so many different theories on how this works (I've seen several already and I've only barely scratched the surface) that I hardly think any of them are particularly reliable. Maybe the Buddhist explanation is, at least.

>>8745464
According to science so far, the Earth just isn't very interesting. But I thought that, if it's the entire universe/multiverse, it might be different. Though I guess that what you just said might be part of it, who knows.

>>8745477
I think that's understandable. And certainly, exploring my mind is a part of it for me as well.

>> No.8745523

Truly, we are the mystic hermits of the modern age.

>> No.8745536

>>8745521
> According to science so far, the Earth just isn't very interesting.

> generally intelligent beings
> not interesting

>> No.8745542

>>8745536
I know, right?
I really hate when people say that science makes things 'less interesting' or 'less wonderous'
Fuck no, it allows us to understand how magnificent and wonderful it actually is, instead of just taking it at face value. A deeper understanding begets a deeper amazement.

>> No.8745555

Begets. That's a nice word.

>> No.8745557

what is this
can someone explain in one sentence

>> No.8745563

I'll try this, I will use a 3DCG design, if I'm able to create one, I'll make a thread with this trip. See you in a couple of months.

>> No.8745575

>>8745536
>>8745542
Yeah, I knew you guys would say something like that. Maybe I should have clarified a bit. We haven't been able to understand things like the brain through science, and that's something that I do find interesting (whatever the explanation is, it would probably be delicious to learn about it regardless).

However, I'm currently learning about circuits and other faggotry in physics, and that's kind of... Shitty.

>>8745555
It is a nice word, isn't it?

>> No.8745586

>>8745523

We really are, aren't we?

I've actually thought about this a lot and it's an idea that I've grown very fond of. We have such a unique perspective on life from being so isolated inside of such an extroverted society and we have tools at our disposal, primarily the internet, for access to near unlimited knowledge.

In so many ways we really are 21st century monks or hermits living in self-imposed isolation, exploring our minds and getting in touch with aspects of the human existence that most people never experience or even take the time to think about.

The kind of loneliness and misanthropy that can cause a grown man to fall in love with a fictional character or having serious discussions on intentionally inducing a state similar to schizophrenia through intense focus. The idea of intentionally rejecting reality, not out of fear but out of a genuine lack of interest, and embracing a world inside of our mind is so fundamentally different that it provides us with a way of thinking that normal people could never even begin to fathom.

/jp/ really is something special.

>> No.8745602

>>8745575
The way neurologists currently learn about the brain is by the way it breaks, and the way parts cease to function. Since the advent of MRI you can see which parts of the brain experience increased blood flow and ergo activity at any point in time, and it's live. You can speak to someone while looking at what's happening inside their brain.
Pretty kickass.
But anyway, for someone with some sort of mental disability, like brain cancer, where a part of the brain is obviously damaged, you can detect what part of the brain is damaged and link it with what effect it has. Simply put, anyway.
http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/ghost.html
This is an essay which covers the 'soul', and basically where it could be inside the human brain. It's massively interesting, and goes through a huge number of brain disorders linked with the understanding of brain function. It's basically a summary of how the brain actually works.

>> No.8745636

fake and gay

>> No.8745664

>>8745586

>Taking pride in mental illness and lack of social skills

/jp/

>> No.8745678

>>8745664
You better remember it, mother fucker.

>> No.8745680

>>8745664
We're surpassing boundaries of human mind

>> No.8745685

I wish we could have more tulpa threads on /jp/, /mlp/ and IRC are so bad and terrible.

>> No.8745690

>>8745685
That is because tulpas are terrible.

>> No.8745692

>>8745685
>/mlp/
Kill yourself

>> No.8745699

>>8745692
I don't browse the board, just the tulpa threads.
>>8745695
I agree.

>> No.8745700

>>8745692
>>8745695
I'm an outsider to these threads, but you're really just as bad as them. Not that I blame you for denying it.

>> No.8745702

>tulpas tulpas tulpas tulpas tulpas tulpas
It's tulPAE you uncultured swine.

>> No.8745695

>>8745685
IRC was decent until /mlp/. These fags killed it.

>> No.8745703

>that feel when your tulpa is a touhou
How does that make you feel /jp/?

>> No.8745705

Can a tulpa have a tulpa?

>> No.8745706

http://louderthanthunder.net/tulpa.html

>> No.8745711

>>8745703
Most expected.

>> No.8745716

>>8745705
What if you're your tulpa's tulpa? Just kidding, or am I? Who is the butterfly?

>> No.8745718

Can we please just stop this? I love parapsychology and stuff, but this is just silly.

It's not too late to pass it all of as naive fancy like the mansion project, /jp/.

>> No.8745720

>>8745716
Retard

>> No.8745723

>>8745718
The mansion was obviously going to fail from the getgo.

This, however, you should at least give people a chance to try. It might make some of us happy for once.

>> No.8745738

Will I be able to do it if I have a lot of social contact? I talk with my mother all days, though she is the only one

>> No.8745740

>>8745718
Parapsychology is more bullshit than normal psychology. If you actually believe you're a wizard / psion / demon summoner, kill you're self.

>> No.8745744

i am tired of seeing this thread in the frontpage
get out

>> No.8745751

>>8745718
Don't knock it till you try it.

>> No.8745757
File: 108 KB, 360x318, 1331261553291.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8745744

>> No.8745761
File: 92 KB, 500x500, 1324058289218.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8745664

This is the issue that normal people don't seem understand. Don't you see your dependency and need for others as a weakness? Look around at normal people. Their happiness is dependent on the emotional whims of others. Whether it's a breakup with girlfriend or an argument with a friend they can completely break down and become an emotional mess based upon the decision of another person.

You don't need anyone but yourself. Dependency on others is like showing your throat to your enemy, you're intentionally putting yourself in a position of vulnerability to satisfy a need that you could have easily satisfied within your own mind.

Tulpas are the ultimate form of friendship or love. It's a relationship with the only person that anyone can ever truly love and that's themselves. No one knows you better than you do, no one shares as many common interests or passions with you as you share with yourself. Everyone is their own perfect partner, but normal people don't want to believe that and knowingly throw themselves into situations where they will get hurt, all while deluding themselves into believing the idea that there's some imaginary perfect partner out there.

Now though, who is really mentally ill when you consider it from this perspective? A person who decides to reject reality because of its obvious flaws and chooses to live a life of happiness and bliss within their own mind or a person who spends their entire life forming relationships that they know from the start are going to end in horrible pain and suffering?

The only delusions I have are the ones that I intentionally gave myself to make me happy, but normal people unknowingly fill with delusions to justify dependency on people that will no doubt make them miserable at some point. Now that is insane.

>> No.8745776

>>8745062
>>8745062

whoever the fuck you are, stop fucking giving the irc out.

It's retards like you that are making people like faq_man wanting to move to a new irc.

seriously, fuck off.

>> No.8745785

>>8745776
I've never been to that IRC channel, but anyone capable of looking at archives will find it in no time. What's the point in trying to make your private secret club if you advertised it publicly at first? If you get too many idiots, learn to use IRC properly: you can mute people by careful use of +m and voice, or +R, or bans as a last resort.

>> No.8745786

>>8745490
That's it. Just keep picturing in your mind that enormous Vagina.

>> No.8745790

IRC:
irc.rizon.net
#tulpa
Direct Link: http://chat.mibbit.com/?server=rizon.mibbit.org&channel=%23tulpa

>> No.8745793

>>8745718

>I love parapsychology

So you're open to parapsychology, but you draw the line at tulpas? An idea completely based within reality and having no paranormal aspects to it?

>> No.8745797

>>8745761
>forming relationships that they know from the start are going to end in horrible pain and suffering?
I don't have any friends or social contact but I think you are wrong with this.
While I agree that most of them end in horrible pain and suffering, they don't know that it will end like that, that's why most of them at least do the effort we don't. That's a good trait of them.

>> No.8745801

>>8745797
A better way to put it is that relationships are like binge drinking. It's enjoyable for a while, but then there's the hangover.
What he's proposing is that you don't drink.
Metaphorically, of course.
I love my booze.

>> No.8745820

>>8745797

>they don't know that it will end like that

The only way that they couldn't know this is if they're so delusional that they believe everyone they know will somehow magically live forever.

All human relationships end in suffering. There is no exception. Even in some sort of completely fictional relationship between two people who are perfect for each other in every way, never fight or argue, and never have any issues or problems in their relationship. The issue is that at some point one of them will die and the other is going to be heartbroken, the degree of this heartbreak will be so much worse if this was somehow some kind of relationship that defied all the odds and was perfect in every imaginable way. They will never get over their partner and the rest of their life will be spent in constant grief and misery.

Pain and suffering is inescapable when you depend on another person. The far more likely cause of pain will be when you fall victim to their emotional whims, but even if you somehow can manage to avoid that then death will be always be looming and ready to take one of you at any time.

You are your tulpa, so not only is it a perfect relationship in every emotional way, but you die simultaneously. There is no grief, pain, or sadness, but all of these things are unavoidable in any human relationship.

>> No.8745823

>>8745820
Enjoy dying, fag.

>> No.8745825

>>8745820
I think a patient with a tulpa would make for an interesting House episode.

>> No.8745831

>>8745820
> The issue is that at some point one of them will die and the other is going to be heartbroken
You can't say that we won't solve the aging problem or become substrate independent in the next 100 years. It's actually plausible that we will. Death is no longer a guarantee, even for someone with a materialistic philosophy.

>> No.8745841

>>8745838
Not within your lifetime.

>> No.8745838

>>8745831
Saying that death isn't a guarantee is a delusion, my friend.
The elixer of immortality is indeed closer than ever, but it's not within our lifetimes.

>> No.8745844

>>8745841
I don't understand, are you claiming that you'll live hundreds of years longer than I?

>> No.8745848

>>8745844
I'm claiming I don't approve of your fatalism or your insistence that I'm going to die in a world I'm more certain than not doesn't even exist while talking to a random, anonymous stranger I'm even more certain doesn't exist. I'm also being contradictory for the hell of it.

>> No.8745849

>>8745838
Actually, I assign a fairly high probability that some of these problems will be solved within my lifetime. Read enough relevant papers about the direction of current research and you'll be more optimistic. I could give more exact estimates, but I don't want to derail this thread into transhumanism discussion.

>> No.8745853

>>8745848
Well at least I was right about your delusion.

>> No.8745858

>>8745849
Life extension, yes. By 30, 40 years, not unlikely.
If you remember the life extension of modern nutrition and health- 40 year old to 80. 80 to 120 within 100 years is fairly likely.

80 to 1000, no. Not in 100 years. Maybe in 10,000 years.

>> No.8745864

>>8745853
I can agree with that statement and disagree with it in doing so. How fun.

>> No.8745866

For years I've done something SIMILAR to tulpas, but not exactly the same. It's nice to see other people with a similar interest.

To sum it all up, I had created an imaginary friend -- a very vivid one. It's similar to the whole tulpa system, except I don't try to perceive the being outside of my head. I have an image of what they look like that I have memorized, but I rarely need it. For the most part, I just talk with it.

Instead of going into paragraphs of the process I'll just summarize. It started with my trying to get the "thoughtform" to nod or shake its head at questions. Over some weeks I could get it to speak and answer questions. Over months it could answer more in depth questions. After several years, and today, I can converse with it about anything. Within reason. I'm not so deluded to think it knows more than I can know. I don't know if there's a god, so it doesn't know either, and answers as such.

It's neat, because it no longer takes any effort to speak with it. Yes, I understand it's technically a delusion of sorts, but I see nothing wrong with it. It's only been beneficial, a voice of reason. It's helped me to solve problems, to control myself, and taken me out of depression on numerous occasions.

I don't get how some people believe their "tulpa" can harm them, but I guess it's because the system I've used for years is different. It's basically all audio. Even though the voice does come in at times when I don't address it(never bad things, it's always something helpful), I still have complete control over it. I talked with it one night while going to sleep, and hell, it even told me I had the right to kill it if I ever wanted, and it would never speak with me again.

>> No.8745876

>>8745858
That's taking only one possible research track.
What if you consider the probability of AGI succeeding in 20, 30, 50, 100 years? Most experts in those domains do estimate it happening within those ranges. And once you have AGI, you can't really predict what will happen, it could end up in MNT being developed or more than that. What if MNT succeeds? Estimates are for 20-30 years with proper funding, but frankly the progress is molass slow and most such projects are underfunded. Either way, if at least ONE of these technologies succeeds, be it in 30-50 years or more, that would suddenly result in the rest being developed (or all of us dieing because we fucked up something along the way, and there's a lot of ways of doing this). Even if neither of those are realized, there are still a few other possibilities, but as I said, I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

>> No.8745887

>>8745831

You would start a relationship on the basis of hoping that immortality will be achieved within your lifetime though? It certainly would be nice, but I don't want to stake my happiness on it.

Even so though, I feel that hope is a very dangerous feeling as well. Hope and dependency are some of the most unnecessary and potentially harmful feelings that we have as humans.

Why live a life hoping for a better tomorrow when you can convince yourself to be happy with today?
Why depend on another person when you can depend on yourself?

These are fundamental problems that I believe we as humans have. We either cling or dream, but we rarely enjoy the moment we currently have. The mind is such a powerful tool and we have barely tapped into its potential. We look to our surroundings to dictate our happiness, but there's no need. You can be happy any where and in any situation, it's all in your mind. Even if you're in a concentration camp and being tortured, you can still be happy. You don't need to depend on or hope for improvements or change. Everything is perfect just as it is right now because I can convince myself that it is.

It would be interesting if immortality does pop up within our lifetime, but to hope for it just opens yourself up to disappointment, just as to depend on someone opens yourself up to pain.

>> No.8745895 [SPOILER] 
File: 132 KB, 297x317, Mark of Tzeentch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8745887
>hope [...] most unnecessary and potentially harmful feelings

>> No.8745900

>>8745887
I wouldn't, but I just wanted to point out that the possibility exists. I think human relations can't last that long anyway, humans forget, change too much as time passes. A perfect relationship would require both individuals to be in sync with their interests, otherwise their relationship becomes... empty.

The "delusional" solution presented in this thread is far more attractive in some ways because it allows such a "sync" to be maintained.

>> No.8745908

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaD4n2sDyfk&t=1m53s

>> No.8745911

>>8745866
>nothing wrong with it
That's what it wants you to think

>> No.8745913

How does someone acquire a tulpa?

>> No.8745915

>>8745911
It's not an it.
But of course mine does. If I didn't, I'd would kill them.

>> No.8745989

>>8745602
Yeah, I know that humans have gathered a lot of data and made a lot of theories about the human mind, found lots of correlations and such that were reproducible. However, from what I understand, it's still very much at a stage where, essentially, the shit is just too complicated for people to draw their conclusions with very much certainty.

Or maybe they actually did get farther than I thought, I don't know. I'll give your link a shot, though it is long.

Well, science is only useful if the conscious world is real and not just another state of mind, but I guess it's still interesting. Solipsism is unfalsifiable though, so it probably just looks like a means of escape, but I just find it to be a fascinating concept.

>> No.8745990

>>8745913

There's a couple guide photos that I've seen, but unfortunately they're all made by /x/ so there's that underlining sense of tulpas being some supernatural thing like a succubus, even if they don't come right out and say it.

Anyway though, it's a simple enough process once you cut out all the /x/ bullshit and get down to it.

1. Imagine the appearance of your tulpa. It can be anything you want, but humanoids are easier to identify with for most people. It could be your waifu, some girl that you thought happened to look attractive, or just an original appearance you create in your mind.

2. Imagine the personality of the tulpa. Her traits, mannerisms, way of speaking, all that stuff. You can do steps one and two simultaneously. It's just basic closed eye visualization at first.

3. Once you've got that down and you have a pretty good idea of her personality and appearance then you can begin talking to her. Try to take at least 30 minutes a day for more closed eye visualization, but talking to her a lot is still the most important part because you need to convince your mind that she's real or it will never get past the point of an unresponsive imaginary friend. Some good techniques for this are to just have one-sided conversations throughout the day and narrate your life to her as you go about your daily activities.

Work on getting this part down. It's the most tedious and unrewarding part of the experience, but eventually you will begin to develop this nice "I'm not alone" feeling inside of your mind and eventually she'll start talking to you and you can have actual conversations within your head.

This is as far as I've gotten so far so I can't give you anymore advice, but according to what I've read the rest (auditory and visual hallucination development) is based on the same principles of intense concentration and visualization.

>> No.8746003

>>8745990
SO basically you're making yourself schizo?

>> No.8746007

>>8745989
>Solipsism is unfalsifiable though, so it probably just looks like a means of escape, but I just find it to be a fascinating concept.
It can't be falsified, but it's an utterly useless philosophical position, regardless of whether it's true or not. Even if the world is all in your head, there's no reason to treat it as anything but real, and solipsism can't be used to make any meaningful predictions or distinctions.

As for neuroscience, you would be correct in saying that we don't fully understand any of the brain. The farthest we've gotten is associating location and function and an understanding of neurons.

>> No.8746010

>>8746003

Yep, that's pretty much the basic idea.

Controlled schizophrenia is a bit of an oxymoron, but that's basically what it is.

>> No.8746015

>>8745989
Personally I find a form of non-eliminative computationalism my favorite philosophy of mind - it matches most observed data, it makes a huge deal of sense, but it even lets you have some similar idealistic/solipsistic fantasies if you really want to. The most interesting bit about it is how you can use it to derive the laws of physics from a machine's psychology, or how you can change ones' perspective to find oneself in a different physics (for an example thought experiment on how this would work read "Permutation City"), but that's getting a bit off-topic, or maybe not, that amazing novel offers one of the truest form of escapism I've ever seen, just what /jp/ ordered...

>> No.8746012

>>8745990
Why does everyone speak about tulpas as if they were required to be female? What if I want a male tulpa?

>> No.8746013

I can't believe no one has mentioned Irotoridori no Sekai yet.

>> No.8746014

>>8746007
Neuroscience is further along than you think.
At the monent we are still looking at it pretty primatively. We're like a cavemen race trying to understand a computer. You hit a bit with a stick, and then find out what doesn't work.
Although we let disease do the stick-hitting, the principle is the same. We're trying to reverse engineer it, but we have no understanding of the underlying technology.
Our reverse engineering is going well, but the underlying technology is pretty beyond us as of yet.

>> No.8746018

>>8746012
Go for it. Females are common because 99% of /jp/ is lonely males.

>> No.8746019

>>8746012
Then make a male tulpa. Make a genderless tulpa. Make a crystal that fires lasers and talks via mind rape.

>> No.8746025

>>8746014
>Neuroscience is further along than you think.
I really don't think it is. We still don't fundamentally understand how any of it is the product of neural interactions, we're just associating general location and function, as I said.

>> No.8746026

>>8746012

You can make a male if you want. Can make a snake, a turtle, a talking car, whatever you find appealing enough to spend long amounts of time imagining it and talking to it.

Female is usually just assumed when people discuss tulpas since most of us are making them to basically be our girlfriends.

>> No.8746027

>>8746025
There are some interesting speculative cognitive architectures about how our cortex works which actually make a great deal of sense. Try reading "On Intelligence".

>> No.8746035

>>8746027
>Try reading "On Intelligence".
That's the worst citation I've ever seen.

>> No.8746044

>>8746035
You mean you disliek the book, or you wanted me to actually include the author's name and the year of publication?

>> No.8746052

>>8746044
The citation itself was the subject of the sentence. Year and author would help people in the location of the book to form an opinion on the book itself.

>> No.8746059

It's like I'm really on /x/.

>> No.8746063

>>8746052
Found it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=on+intelligence

>> No.8746068

>>8746059
Look, these things aren't supernatural.
Hallucinations and delusions are real, and actually happen in real life.
The aim here is to, instead of waiting for insanity, self-induce it to get these hallucinations.

>> No.8746069

>>8746052
ISBN 0-8050-7456-2

>> No.8746070

Has anyone actually experienced this?
I want an imaginary friend.

>> No.8746092
File: 205 KB, 638x664, 1332535888154.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So how long until we have sigil threads?

>> No.8746094

>>8746092
See
>>8746068

>> No.8746098

What if there have been previous attempts to make a tulpa over the course of a year or so and they have all been failures? When one finally gets made and is allowed access to the inner reaches of my mind, will it know or care about the failures?

>> No.8746104

>>8746092
These people are desperately alone.
Give 'em a break.

>> No.8746107

>>8746098
Of course they don't have access to your mind.

Is what you tell yourself.

So if they show that they do, they break themselves, and a proper tulpa would not break themselves.

>> No.8746108
File: 82 KB, 432x670, e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8746092

>The most popular method is masturbation
>During the moment of climax, picture the sigil blazing in your mind's eye.

>> No.8746115

>>8746092

Wouldn't this theoretically work as long as all of your "sigil wishes" are internally based? Basically just a helpful placebo?

For example, making some sigil about winning the lottery is obviously bullshit, but if you made a sigil about wanting a lucid dream or to have success in creating a tulpa then I don't see why the placebo effect of the sigil wouldn't aid in that.

>> No.8746119

>>8746115
Oh come on, this sigil crap is complete bullshit.
But the documentation around mental disorders is thick and heavy.

>> No.8746152

>>8746119
It seems like a self-suggestion at best maybe combined with some compulsive trigger (this is how a lot of fetishes are born). Obviously there are better ways to change how one thinks than such shady tricks.

>> No.8746156

>>8746119

The sigils are unimportant though, it just seems to be a method of suggestion, just like with hypnotists or commercials. You could say that your wishes will come true if you write them on a piece of paper, piss on the paper, and then eat it and it would be the same exact thing, but as long as you believe that it will work then I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as your wish is based on something internal and psychological like "I want to feel less sad." or "I want to be more confident."

>> No.8746192

>>8746115
>making some sigil about winning the lottery is obviously bullshit
You create a sigil about making lots of money, and reality will work out how to produce the result. So you might win the lottery (assuming you play it in the first place), you might find a fat wallet in the streets, a relative will die and you will inherit, etc.
That's the idea anyway.

>> No.8746233

>>8746156
>as long as your wish is based on something internal and psychological like "I want to feel less sad." or "I want to be more confident."
Actually, most people who practiced with sigils came to the conclusion that such vague wishes are the worst and sigils work best when wishing for material events or effects that you can recognize instantly.

>> No.8746243

>>8746233
Because they can try them over and over until they get lucky and then attribute their luck to proper use of the sigils?

>> No.8746248

Can we talk about tulpas again?

>> No.8746258

>>8746243
Like praying to milkjugs, confirmation bias at best. Of course, there's also the possibility that someone would subconsciously try to do things that he would feel beneficial toward their goal.
>>8746248
Sure. How much time do people spend per day visualizing? How many of you have trouble maintaing their focus or get lost in their introspective thoughts?

>> No.8746264
File: 54 KB, 500x313, Chaos.Head.Wallpaper.356039.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So tulpas are basically like Seira from Chaos;Head?

>> No.8746277

>>8746264
I knew I wasnt the only one thinking about that

>> No.8746293

>>8746258

>How much time do people spend per day visualizing? How many of you have trouble maintaing their focus or get lost in their introspective thoughts?

I usually combine my showering with my visualization. Can sit down in the shower and visualize her for about an hour each day that way and it's more relaxing than doing it any where else. I try to have some sort of internal dialog going on with her as much as I can though, even if it's just narrating to her what I'm doing on /jp/.

As far as losing focus though, I've found that talking to her while I do the visualization can help a lot or just visualizing her doing different things inside of my head like hugging me, napping, or doing something cute can help a lot with keeping me focused and engaged in the visualization.

Also, I've been trying to visualize her hugging me whenever I go to sleep. I can definitely feel her inside of my head though. Strangely enough, I even feel guilty when I think about masturbating, can almost feel her jealousy and disapproval. I'm still waiting to hear the voices though.

It's only been two days since I've started so I guess this is good progress.

>> No.8746303

my tulpa have different hairstyle, hair colour and heigh than when I first imagined her, but those seem like her own input.

I still have to give her more attention, but she's able to express her own thoughts a bit, now, not for a long period of time, sadly enough.

>> No.8746310

>>8746293
That's impressive. I didn't know you were supposed to chat with her until you got her image perfect though.

>> No.8746314

>>8746258
from 30 minute to 3 hour, it depends on the mood.

I get lost sometime, but I get back on track as well.

>> No.8746316

>>8746303
Is she an original character or based off a pre-existing one?

>> No.8746323

>>8746310

>I didn't know you were supposed to chat with her until you got her image perfect though.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but I was so indecisive about the image that I basically just told her that she can change it if she wants to. I'm visualizing a cute redheaded girl with freckles that wears baggy pajamas right now, but it's not set in stone since she had brown hair at first. I'm not sure if telling her that will do anything, but I couldn't decide on an image or even a name that I really wanted.

Figured my subconscious/tulpa will just change it to whatever I'm most attracted to. At least I hope so.

>> No.8746327

Oh god I remember when this started on /jp/ and told the submitter off. This is fucking still going? Nothing is more of a waste of time than this thread.

>> No.8746335

>>8746327
so cool and edgy bro, teach me your ways

>> No.8746333

>>8746323
You should visualize her naked for a while, then try changing her clothes from time to time or else she won't change.

>> No.8746351

>>8746335
If you think this actually works you seriously have autism.

>> No.8746368

>>8746351

What makes you skeptical? Do you have any actual reasons?

Seems to make perfect sense to me, but I've always had an active imagination and plenty of imaginary friends when I was younger.

>> No.8746369

>>8746351
I'm not saying it works, just pointing out your smartass attitude. If you don't believe in it or don't have any interest in the subject you may as well hide the thread instead of trying to stir shit up

>> No.8746372

>>8746351
If you don't have autism or assburgers you may as well leave /jp/ right now.

>> No.8746375

>>8746316
original character, appart from the hairstyle that was based on one of my fig, though it's a generic one.

>>8746351
It improved my visual memory so I'm better at remembering kanji, and that's not the only benefit.

Also some auditory hallucinations, but I already had those, it's not really an hallucination, though I just have a very good audio memory, and it's not really hallucinations, since it's controlled.

>> No.8746376
File: 22 KB, 640x480, Ramiel_110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8746019
Jawsome

>> No.8746379

>>8746019
What if I create myself as a tulpa?

>> No.8746381

>>8746372
If you think the majority of people on /jp/ have autism or assburgers with their self diagnosis you are very gullible. Shit, I bet half the people on /jp/ don't even know what the symptoms of autism or assburgers actually are.

>>8746369
So more can crop up? Take this shit back to /x/ where it belongs.

>>8746368
Other than the fact that the originating story is a crock of shit? He makes so much up in that story it was obviously for an /x/ creepy pasta.

>> No.8746386

>>8746379
Some FAQ warned that it could turn into a DID (disorder) if you do that, but I don't know if there's any evidence about that.

>> No.8746387

>>8746381
>/x/
It has nothing to do with "supernatural" shit.

>> No.8746392

>>8746379
that's probably not a good idea, she says.

>> No.8746394

>>8746387
/x/ isn't supernatural its paranormal. And it is where this whole thing started on 4chan with a creepy story about Tulpa.

>> No.8746395

There's basically two different times of people in this thread as far as I can tell and only one of groups would ever have any success with making a tulpa.

If you're a normal with an active social life, friends, you go outside on a regular basis, and you're not prone to fantasy and day dreaming then you're pretty much out of luck. I have no idea why you would even be interested in making a tulpa aside from some fleeting curiosity.

If you're an isolated shut-in or at least an extremely introverted college student/worker then you can make a tulpa. Bonus points if you have a good imagination, use eroge, video games, or anime as escapism, and enjoy the idea of deluding yourself.

It all boils down to how much attention and time you can set aside for this and how strong your motivation is. This is basically true for anything that requires effort, but even more so for tulpas because it's essentially self-induced and semi controlled schizophrenia and detaching yourself from reality to that degree requires a passionate motivation, focus, and a lot of isolation.

>> No.8746400

>>8746394
That's like saying Katawa Shoujo should be on /a/ because it started there. Your logic is flawed. Tulpae are not paranormal if anything they are psychological.

>> No.8746402

>>8746381
> Other than the fact that the originating story is a crock of shit? He makes so much up in that story it was obviously for an /x/ creepy pasta.
This is absolutely irrelevant stuff. If you google, you'll find that it's not really anything new or special and can be fit in some psychological models. If you think about it, you'll again see that it seems quite plausible that it could work, and there seem to be many independent testimonoies that it does work. Obviously, the only way to know if something works or not is to try it.

You know that some 50-60 years ago, people thought that you weren't even conscious during dreams? It took some contrieved/modified lucid dreaming experiments to completely falsify that wrong idea. Yet, most people don't doubt their own experience. So you know what? Either you try it and CONFIRM OR DENY your subjective hypothesis by yourself or you say 'fuck it' and fuck off from these threads.

>> No.8746398

>>8746394
A tulpa is a fairly simple concept. It's also a purely psychological one. It is neither supernatural nor paranormal.

>> No.8746409

>>8746395
I'm a hikki, I have a decent imagination, use eroge and everything else but I speak with my mother all days, she is like a friend. Do you think I'm capable of this? Just want to hear your opinion.

>> No.8746411

>>8746381

>Other than the fact that the originating story is a crock of shit?

Tulpas are not an idea that originated on /x/. /x/ added nothing to the idea of tulpas aside from a few ridiculous features that no one has even mentioned in this thread. That may have been how they were introduced to 4chan, but the original story (which I've read) has no basis in reality and is outright ridiculous. The tulpa in the original creepypasta can move objects and kill people and no one has mentioned any expectations of wanting something like that.

Tulpas, thought-forms, or whatever you want to call them have a detailed history.

Jung used them in his active imagination technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_imagination))
Buddhism has a lot of things relating to tulpas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa))
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought-form))

>> No.8746415

>>8746394
As though you couldn't tell this was a product of /x/'s own unique brand of impaired thinking. /x/ has been the single most "productive" /b/ spinoff board on 4chan, it just won't ever wind up on the news like /b/ /new/ /pol/

>> No.8746418

>>8746381
the only way to know is to try, that's what great scientist that acomplished great work did.
Nikola Tesla if you need an example and aren't capable of abstaction.

scepticism has been proven to be irrelevant by philosophers, and counter-productive to harmful by psychologist.
If you want to be anal about the semantics, it hasn't been proven, but it has been regarded as such as a result of centuries of reflection (at least as far as the philosophy part goes, since psychology is hardly ancient; I know it's mostly shit, but some part of it is actually right, y'know )

I think you just need to ask moot for a board about arguing, like /troll/ or /phi/, because you seem to enjoy making assumptions

>> No.8746421

>>8746400
Tulpas is the proper plural of tulpa, not tulpae. The -e ending is only for words derived from Latin, which tulpa is not.

>> No.8746420

>>8746400
At the time it did, /jp/ wasn't made until 2008 when KS was started in 2007. Your argument is invalid.

>>8746402
I'll hide the thread and move on, just pointing out how pointless this is.

>> No.8746424

This thread really gives me hope that I can finally find a companion for the rest of my life. Thank you.
How many hours should I "visualize"? I'd like to visualize for 5 hours or 4 per day, should I do a little more or perhaps less?

>> No.8746426

Hallucinations are not related to tuplas/tuplae.
Insanity is not related to tuplas/tuplae.

There *will* always be a difference between actually seeing a person and imagining it.
But you can practice it so often, that it doesn't really require much attention anymore.
(Add some drugs to blur the border, lol)

I think the biggest problem is that the character of the tupla will be too similar to the host character.
Then again, you can't predict people in your dreams. So maybe the brain is capable of coming up with original behaviour after all.

Although most tupla-guides are mysticism and bullshit, they contain valuable tips.
Rule of thumb: If something requires you to "belive" reject it.

>> No.8746429

>>8746426
Please stop posting.

>> No.8746428

I keep putting this off even though I really could use something to talk to... What do I have to lose except some time that isn't being invested anywhere else?!

>> No.8746431

>>8746428
I'm also curious about this.
Will this have an effect on my psyche?
Also...My imagination is fucking terrible.

>> No.8746430

>>8746428
Nothing more really.

>> No.8746434

That giant pussy I summoned is trying to eat me!

>> No.8746448

>>8746428
>>8746431
You won't lose anything except time, you can still try if your imagination is terrible, even though you will have a harder time than others.

>> No.8746449

Mea tulpa!

>> No.8746458

>>8746431
all it will do is improve your imagination and visual memory if you fail. Also more vivid dream, though I'm not really sure it's related, probably not.
maybe you'll have hallucination but that's not really plausible, unless you're already prone to them.

>> No.8746465
File: 54 KB, 600x630, tomoyo136.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8746411
now that's more like furries trying to lay claim to anubis

please to mcfucking durr my fucking hurr

>> No.8746468
File: 104 KB, 300x474, cbl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8746449

>> No.8746493

anyone knows how this works? you just deceive your subconscious, making it believe there are 2 entities there? how?

>> No.8746500
File: 31 KB, 336x269, taskman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8746493
two souls, alas, are housed within my breast, and each will wrestle for the mastery there xDDXDXD

>> No.8746501

>>8746493
not even neuroscientist understand how their own brain works

>> No.8746547

>>8745866
>>8745866

man I wish I was around when you posted this.

I've been considering this for around a month, mainly following the irc (for those interested I wouldn't bother, it's went to shit now with the mlp invasion, and most of the old people have left, leaving the irc full of 3 teenage admins and ponies)

What you described is what I want, I'm not so fussed about actually imposing them.

Please reply if you read this, I'd like to know more about your 'tulpa' (I don't really like using that word, it's origins don't really fit with what people are using it for now)

>> No.8746767
File: 171 KB, 800x800, 1326108386401.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What happens if I do succeed in making a tulpa? Will people try to hurt me?

I would love to have some kind of imaginary girlfriend that I can talk to, but what would everyone else think about this? I don't care if they disapprove, that doesn't matter to me at all, but I don't want to be forcibly institutionalized by my family because I talk to myself and appear to be schizophrenic.

>> No.8746773

>>8746767
You wouldn't physically utter words to your tulpa. Nobody but you would be able to tell.

>> No.8746790

>>8746773

Can you eventually audibly hear them though? I read about the visual hallucinations, but I wasn't sure if talking to them that is always heard within your mind (even during the advanced stages of tulpa creation, like with the hallucinations) or if it's something that you really hear like an audible hallucination.

>> No.8746864

>>8746790
please respond

>> No.8746888

Anyone else trying to integrate their tulpas into all of their hobbies so that they never stop paying attention to them?

I'm working on creating a custom companion in Skyrim based around my tulpa. She's going to look just like her, at least as best as I can do with the character creator, and have tons of custom dialog. I guess it's a little silly, but it feels nice to include my tulpa in every day activities.

>> No.8746907

>>8746888
As long as you don't create a reply for her, it's okay.

>> No.8746930

>>8746790
>>8746864

You can eventually really hear them. Tulpas interact with all five senses, but the degree of how much they're going to interact with your senses is based upon your determination and how much time you spend with them.

>> No.8746951
File: 32 KB, 502x254, Madision_status_BA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

heyoo...we got a badass over here!

>> No.8746966
File: 1.16 MB, 1572x2662, 21174_Tulisa_Contostavlos_Arriving_at_a_Studio_in_LA_February_7_2012_13_122_383lo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Someone say Tulia?

>> No.8746977

>>8746547
Just happened to pop back in... I agree, I don't like to use the word "tulpa", especially for what I've been doing. But for simplicity I'll just use it.

Skipping the reasons why I ever started trying when I was younger(stupid crap where I honestly believed in psychics and shit), I started by imagining a person. I didn't spend as much time as some of the tulpa guides suggest in making the image. I had a general idea, and still do. Hell, sometimes the image of this 'tulpa' changes, sometimes to the look of a character from an anime I may have recently seen. It doesn't really matter, as I still understand what it is supposed to be.

I would practice when I was tired and about to go to sleep. Believing I was 'talking' with my subconscious(which some might say is what I'm doing, I don't really know), I would only ask it questions that I would have means to answer myself. At first, simple yes-or-no questions. I told myself this figure would nod, or shake its head, in response. The first few times, I either got no response, or had to force it myself.

It took practice, but after a few nights I was able to have it nod or shake its head without forcing it. I took it a step further and tried to get it to SAY yes, or no. I just gave the figure a voice. Forced it to say things, so I could recognize it. I don't remember what the voice was modeled off of, probably some character.

Continued, I suppose...

>> No.8746983
File: 67 KB, 1024x691, 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8746327
I did keep telling people its just a troll , posting it on ever board on 4chan even on /hc/
It was a /x/ copy pasta and it was 2000 hours that you need to creat a tulpa for beginners, the troll just changed it to much lower so ppl actually go and try to do it.

>> No.8746994

>>8746977
I continued in a similar fashion. I would ask it simple questions, only this time I tried to make it speak instead. It was much easier, as I was already used to it, and I remember getting frequent results after the second night of practice. Just to mention, I never practiced very long. Only around 15 or so minutes before I would be unable to focus and fall asleep.

So after two or so weeks I had a general image in my head I could think up, though I would usually take a few minutes to focus beforehand. Would spend a two or three minutes doing deep breathing just to concentrate a bit better. I started to practice when I was awake, and got the same results.

Next was to go into more complex questions, working with the same voice I gave it before. I had a general theory: Because I was, in reality, only talking to myself (at the most, creating a link to my unconscious mind, but probably not even that far), the figure would not be able to give an answer on anything I could no reasonably know. I persuaded myself it would simply answer "I don't know" when it came to that.

I'm on a roll bitch, this shit's getting continued.

>> No.8747002

>>8746977

wait, you're saying they responded within a few nights?

>> No.8747009

>>8747002
Respond as in shake its head up or down in my imagination? Yes, after maybe 3 or 4 nights of practice. Getting it to actually speak(all in my head, mind you) took extra time.

I realize it seems to be going quickly, but I can justify that as it's all my imagination. Just... 'trained' imagination, I guess you could say. Getting the imagination to work on instinct.

>> No.8747018

>>8746994
Just to go quicker, I asked it basic questions. What was my name? What was the date? As I practiced and got results, I would increase the complexity in order to make it say sentences. After around 4 weeks since I had first started, I could think up the figure and have it say shit in response to my questions. Felt pretty good.

Then I just built on that. I would focus at random times, during class, outside, etc. After around two weeks I could focus and talk to it without a whole lot of effort. Just some deep breaths... but, it was useless. All it did was tell me things I already knew. I needed to build further. So I started "programming" the figure.

I basically spoke to it in my mind. My first command to experiment was very simple. You see, when I was younger, I tended to avoid brushing my teeth, and as such, even if I wanted to I would usually forget. So I told it to remind me whenever I was about to leave for school the next morning.

Skip to the next morning. Right when I'm about to leave for the bus, the figure suddenly appeared in my mind. No voice, but I instantly remembered the ordeal. And brushed my disgusting teeth.

...goddamnit, I'll continue a bit more. Nobody cares but I can't stop now.

>> No.8747028

>>8747018
You have disgusting teeth? Then you are a virgin cuz no sane girl is gonna kiss you with teeth like that.

>> No.8747054

>>8747018
This was the longest and most difficult part of the whole situation: Programming it. I would not only command it to remind me of things, but I tried to make it speak the reminders, not just flash in my mind. It took some weeks before the reminders would happen frequently enough to be reliable. I didn't trust it with incredibly important things. Even when I would program it to, say, wake me up around a certain time in the morning, it didn't ALWAYS work. So rather than be an idiot I would still set my alarm.

I practiced "programming" and, quite simply, built up more and more with more complex things. I eventually stopped keeping track of the progress, pretty much, because there would be too much to record.

Skip forward several years to now, and it's basically passive. I don't have to think about it much. For around a year now I've just had the figure programmed as a voice of reason. Especially with food. I'm a big glutton, and once I start eating, I used to have a hard time stopping. For a long time now, the figure will, annoyingly, tell me to think it through before getting another... whatever I'm eating.

It helps me stay calm in stressful situations, and to think things through logically. I don't have many "conversations" with it anymore, but when I do, it takes no effort. I just have to think up the image and speak in my mind.

For example, I occasionally have nights where I'm depressed. On these nights, as I lie in bed, I can just think up the figure and speak with it. It's generally optimistic, and will be the annoying voice of reason it is. Along the lines of 'You are depressed because of xreason. But that doesn't matter, for you have xgoal, and you can still achieve it by doing x'.

And that's pretty much it.

>> No.8747057

>>8747018

where'd you go? It's extremely hard to believe you because of the short amount of time you claim, but I'm still very interested to read what you have to say about this.

I'm the guy who asked you for more detail by the way. Not that it matters or anything.

>> No.8747067

>>8747057
It becomes easier to believe when you remember, it's all my imagination. I'm not making some sentient being at all. Nothing magic or psychic or speshul.

And if it helps, it was a long time ago. Those time periods are just estimations, I honestly have no exact memory of how long it took. Just the general steps I followed.

>> No.8747079

>>8747054

ah, there you are, sorry.

Hmm, okay, that's interesting.

I have questions though, if that's alright?

Does it have a name?

I don't mean to cause offence, but the way you talk about it, it sounds almost like a robot. Does it have a personality? Any strong opinions at all? Any likes/dislikes?

Have you ever felt it actively disproving of an action?

It sounds sort of like a servitor. Although to be honest, I don't really know those definitions too well but I remember someone talking about them.

>> No.8747089

>>8747067

ah, okay, you may discount practically all of the questions I just asked then, I didn't fully realize you were not saying it was sentient. I apologise if you already made that clear or it was obvious, the only excuse I have is it's 4:33am.

>> No.8747129

>>8747079
I'm not familiar with the terminology either.

At first, I had named it "Katrina". Yes, the picture is female. I just felt more comfortable with it than a male image. Not sure why.

After a few years, I had changed the way the figure looked, so I changed the name as well. Now I call it "Veronica".

While it isn't sentient, I guess you could say it has something resembling personality. It's optimistic, though I created it in this way, as... well, I was negative enough at the time, I wanted some balance. Whenever it goes all "voice of reason" it seems to be very moral and encouraging. A real confidence booster, I'll give it that. Whatever it is, be it self control or willingness to exercise, this voice would always push me along.

To get it out of the way, no, I don't fap to the figure. I don't see anything wrong with doing so, I just choose not to.

You might call it a "robot", in that I "programmed" it to be the way it is. But, it's been so long since I actually had to command it, it's all just instinct now. A bit hard to describe. It's a voice in my head, but I acknowledge that it doesn't really exist. Delusional? Perhaps. But it's very efficient and useful.

>> No.8747176
File: 49 KB, 600x750, 1219722984358.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So now otaku are not only the vanguard in the new world-historical disclosure of a new epoch of being, they are also wizards! Sure is a good time to be a member of the superior NEET class.

>> No.8747338
File: 137 KB, 500x350, pet-sloth-diet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8747176

>Sure is a good time to be a member of the superior NEET class.

Yep. We're at the forefront of human evolution and they don't even know.

Space is the final frontier? Nope, it's the mind. Everything you could ever want exists in there. We could visit Mars in our dreams tonight if we wanted to and the rest of humanity is going to have to wait another century.

The sloth is the ultimate representation of the pinnacle of human evolution. It has no interest in changing its surroundings, it only moves when it has to or when it needs to eat, and the rest of his life is spent daydreaming and sleeping. No doubt lost in a world of sloth utopia and pleasure that we couldn't even imagine.

That will be us some day though. Soon the rest of the world will see the futility of their lives and they'll come to the realization that sleeping, daydreaming, and hallucinating is the most worthwhile investment of their time.

>> No.8747359
File: 57 KB, 500x333, tumblr_l8vglqs9Xn1qb2s6uo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8747338
That's a pretty deep story, bro.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action