[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 82 KB, 528x395, christ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8720256 No.8720256 [Reply] [Original]

Philippians 2:9-11

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father. (NIV)

So, tell me, what is your excuse for not accepting Jesus into your life /jp/?

>> No.8720269

I have accepted Jesus as a prophet, but I do not revere him as God like Christians do.

>> No.8720259

He isn't a little girl who wears a silly hat.

>> No.8720265

Because he isn't white

>> No.8720266

Sneak parts of scripture into my 2hu, and perhaps I can accept him.

>> No.8720282

Becuse Jebus Is A Faggot.

>> No.8720280

The Christian God is the embodiment of love.

Therefore, of course, I accept Him as God.

After all, love is the single element of this entire world. Without love, nothing is meaningful.

>> No.8720286

>>8720269

You must be retarded, Jesus is God's son. All smart Christians know that.

Oh my god you must be retarded.

>> No.8720288

>>8720256
Someone tell Kelly this, OP? You were spamming on /pol/ too. Some people thinks God is secondary to a penis in the butt. ;_; Ara~

>> No.8720296

>>8720286
Jesus is God's son, but He is also God.

>> No.8720298

Not violent enough. He should have dropped that hippie bullshit and decimated the romans and kikes when he had the chance.

>> No.8720299
File: 1.11 MB, 1280x1112, jesus-girl.1320544421880.sweet231.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8720259
What if he was?

>> No.8720306

>>8720286

Holy Trinity. Learn your religions anon.

>> No.8720301

>>8720286
Um, OP's excerpt or whatever states that Jesus is Lord, so... I'm not very familiar with the specific beliefs of each denomination. God doesn't have any family, so Jesus isn't God's son either.

>> No.8720329

>>8720306

There is no trinity. Go fuck yourself, then read the bible and repent.

>> No.8720335

>>8720256
no

>> No.8720336

>>8720329
Explain.

>> No.8720406

>try reading the bible for once
>everyone's baby's momma's daddy's uncle's cousin is introduced
>they're all hundreds of years old
>can't keep up with all the names
>can't hold interest
>am literally falling asleep after about five pages

How do people take this shit seriously?

>> No.8720482

>>8720406
Culture and tradition; e.g they were raised to be that way. Also it's a cycle of reinforcement by their peers; that's why what religions dominate are always considered populations of people, while very small groups of people doing something else obviously not rooted in reality is considered merely a cult.

Simple minded people who don't seek truth (or are too unwilling to even learn the language by which to seek truths of natural phenoma, aka unwilling to learn the ways of science) also cling to religion. In essence if you can remember cypher from the original Matrix movie, who knew it was all fake but preferred his life that way anyway because it was more comfortable than the truth, well, religion is that exact same crutch. Rather than accept that we are, on a universal scale, no more important than bacteria and that our existence is simply incidental rather than intended, with no intelligent guide or direction/purpose in life, and that consciousness ends at death and there is nothing we can do about it.. they'd instead rather pretend that we have some guiding parent-figure for the human race that will save us all after we die, that loves and cares about us and will give us eternal pleasure. It's a grand delusion side-skirting the realities of life and our insignificance, nothing less.

>> No.8720739

>>8720482
I don't mean to say that you're wrong... But bear with me for a moment.

Let's say hypothetically, that there is a human X. And this human holds a belief Y. However, later on, X encounters a data Z which proves that he is wrong.

Naturally, scientists acknowledge that this unknown data Z might exist. That's why, when they come up with something, they usually call it a theory, right?

I have religious beliefs myself, but even I acknowledge that a Z might exist which will disprove it all. Therefore, the only way for me to believe in it is for me to take it on faith.

It's the same for you, right? Even if you prove that there is a correlation between two things, there might be an exception or some other variable that you haven't found yet. It might even be a false correlation; You could be looking at the problem the wrong way without realizing it. Humans make these mistakes, so it is nothing to be ashamed of.

But, in that regard, science is much like a religion, because some degree of faith is required. There are many theories which are commonly accepted today, but they might not be the truth.

In my opinion, what I find funny is that humans often refuse to acknowledge Z, and obstinately believe that they understand this world despite the fact that, in reality, they are being incredibly narrow-minded.

>> No.8720759

>>8720739
Theories are supported by data. A theory just explains why we think it is that way. Ie: We think Evolution is a theory, because it explains the geological, fossilized, and etc.etc. evidence and binds it all together. We think Gravity is a theory because when you drop something, it falls at a constant rate of 9.81m/s^2. etc.etc.

With your analogy, you're missing a variable- the current evidence.

Person X, Belief Y, Evidence A, Truth Z.
Person X believes in belief Y ->BECAUSE OF<- evidence A. If Truth Z contradicts belief Y, then the scientist will CHANGE belief Y when they learn about Truth Z. That is why it is science. No "faith" necessary.

>> No.8720797

>>8720759
Yes, and that's the thing. For that which is purely objective (that which can be observed and studied), evidence A always exists. However, for that which cannot be observed and studied, we may not necessarily be able to find A.

But does that mean that such things do not exist? Is it really so ridiculous to acknowledge the possibility that it might exist?

Certainly, you don't have to believe it if you don't want to. However, until a Z is found, it still might be the truth. For that reason, until a Z is found, those who do believe that it is the truth will generally continue to believe.

In the same way, a scientist will generally consider a theory to be reliable unless they have that reason Z to believe that it might not be. Why do they believe it is reliable?

That is what I mean by faith. If you didn't have faith, you would certainly not believe that any theory is reliable.

And despite that, will you wait until you have some guarantee that Z does not exist, to put the theory into practice? Of course not, that would be silly. If you did that, you would never get anything done. And so, science cannot be practiced by those who do not have faith.

>> No.8720814

>>8720797
The only 'faith' that you need in science is the belief that the constants in this world stay constant. Science is science because it is reproducible. Don't believe in circuit theory? Make your own circuit board and watch. Don't believe in a certain chemical reaction? Reproduce it inside a laboratory setting. And so forth and so forth.

If it cannot be reproduced, then it isn't science.

With that in mind, there is no reason to believe something that is not reproducible, such as your God / Gods / whatever other religion you ascribe to. The things stated are mere delusions of an author, cannot ever be verified, and have been done a million times in the past by other "prophets" (Why don't you believe in Zeus? Athena? Thor? Cthulu? And so forth)

>> No.8720821

>>8720482
Ignorance truly is bliss, but I think it's okay to neglect the truth just to feel better.
The search for the ultimate truth is such a struggle and being happy that way is almost impossible.
In a sense /jp/ is very similar to religious people because we practice escapism on a daily basis

>> No.8720833

Ecclesiastes 2:21-23

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless and a great misfortune. What do people get for all the toil and anxious striving with which they labor under the sun? All their days their work is grief and pain; even at night their minds do not rest. This too is meaningless.

Fuck work, NEET for life.

>> No.8720866

>>8720833
What always impressed me about christianity is that they got every in that book to eliminate almost every logical argument and doubt.
Try to argue with someone who knows the bible and you know what I'm talking about

>> No.8720869

>>8720286
Historically speaking, it's unlikely Jesus ever called himself the "son of God" in the sense that it's understood today. That idea seems to have come later, likely an invention of early Christians (to some degree). The idea of the trinity itself is an even later invention to solve the problem of how Jesus can be both God and the son of God and to answer other formulations of a solution to this same problem.

And even then, the idea that Jesus was the literal son of God is never completely accepted until the early Catholic Church mostly stamped out the competing versions of Christianity, along with their religious canon. Some versions of Gnosticism, for example, have Jesus dissociated from Yahweh of the Old Testament. In them, Yahweh was the evil god that created the physical world to imprison human souls while Jesus represented the path to spiritual freedom from this world.

>> No.8720874

>>>/sci/
>>>/x/

>> No.8720881
File: 561 KB, 2272x1704, catholic church real.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm catholic, but I am a sinner. I just looked at doujins. I don't even know why. I was bored. I don't think I was looking at them for pleasure. It is just unhealthy FOR ME to see all those images. Either way I can't tell if it's a sin for me and the situation
I feel dirty, because those things they were doing were dirty.....

>> No.8720887

>>8720814
In the circumstances in which the theory has been put into practice, it was reproduced successfully. Either that, or they found exception B which they were able to explain with another theory, while still allowing the original theory to stand for all known cases except B.

This is naturally the case, or else you won't accept the theory.

I understand perfectly well that something is more believable because you have reproduced the effect yourself. And that's why, for that which I can reproduce, I'll be more likely to believe it as well.

But I'll make one final example:
Let's say there is a human G who is able to observe data H. He is able to make reliable theories which can be reproduced for all data H, and eventually learns all that there is to learn about H.

Even if we find the full extent of H for the entire human race, just how big is that? How much data are we able to observe, in the end?

In Maribel's and Renko's future, they've already reached the point where anything else that could be studied on Earth would require more money than anyone is willing to spend. That is to say, until they improve their instruments or move to space, this is the limit of their H.

I'll be the first to admit that H tells us exactly what you have said:
"we are, on a universal scale, no more important than bacteria and that our existence is simply incidental rather than intended, with no intelligent guide or direction/purpose in life, and that consciousness ends at death and there is nothing we can do about it"

However, there is no meaning in that existence. Do you see how small humans are? That is why H is not important.

You may ask me why I am hiding from H, but I will instead ask you:

Why do you cling to that which has no meaning, when it is still possible that there is meaning?

>> No.8720908

>>8720887
My theory on life is-

Life inherently has no meaning. Because life has no meaning, you are free to come up with any meaning that you choose, from an individual level.

Assume that the meaning of life was to worship a god X. Every second you don't worship god X, your life is meaningless, because the only thing you will be rated on in X's afterlife is how much you worshiped god X.

Now imagine, you have absolutely no meaning, so you decide to pursue something you love doing, for example shitposting on /jp/. There is no afterlife, and the only worthwhile judge of your life is yourself. If you are happy shitposting to your heart's content on /jp/, then you should be satisfied with it. Now, the person next to you might not enjoy shitposting. Since life has no inherent meaning, they can ascribe their own personal meaning to life, such as curing cancer, or shit posting on /a/, or so forth and so forth.

So I ask you, why do you cling to your old traditions which have been proven wrong time and time again, for the sake of a false importance? Closure? Because you know, if your parents hadn't indoctrinated you into the faith, chances are, you wouldn't even consider the christian theology.

>> No.8720930

My faith is Touhou, not some skinny jew.

>> No.8720941

More bible quotes please.

>> No.8720945

I want to worship a cute pink haired loli who is quite tsundere towards me alone. To which religion should I turn my prayers to?

>> No.8720980

Let's finally found that touhou religion damn it.
If we don't commit our life to it properly we will never go to Gensokyo

>> No.8720999

>>8720908
Pretty much; because we have free will and some degree of intelligence, life is what we make of it. Even the idea of "meaningfulness" is subjective.

It's just that, in my eyes... The world of adults is truly the most boring thing there is. H isn't worth anything at all to me. Rather than being afraid of it, I simple couldn't care less. But if you're right, and H is all there is, then death is the ultimate form of taking it easy, and that's alright too.

On the other hand, what if it's possible to find data that doesn't bore me? What if I can reach a higher existence that is worth caring about? What if I can throw away death and live forever? I won't even need to eat anymore.

I might even be able to go to Gensokyo, who knows. I'm always open to possibilities like that.

Even so, if there is one thing I'm afraid of, that would be the idea that H isn't all there is. In other words, I'm afraid of the existence of God. That as well, is another motivation for me to believe.

And I think that this is legit enough. After all,
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."
Proverbs, 9:10.

I don't really know much about that speculation on whether or not Jesus really is God's son, or anything like that, though. But, as far as I can tell, it's nowhere near conclusive proof that Christianity is false.

>> No.8721033
File: 11 KB, 338x262, 132548755339.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8720256

Take your stone aged middle eastern homo voodoo shit back to

>>>/b/
>>>/x/
>>>/pol/
>>>/y/

>>
Name
Subject
Comment