[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 185 KB, 640x480, 8116996.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8149811 No.8149811 [Reply] [Original]

Did you know Lobsters can live forever?

You can only live forever by leaving your mark. There are many ways, go to Mars, conquer China or shoot up a school. Why aren't you striving to be a historical person, /jp/?

>> No.8149814

dat lobster hat

>> No.8149816

It won't matter when I'm dead

>> No.8149817

Nothing survives the sands of time.

>> No.8149829

>>8149811

Actually lobsters only live for a couple of decades. Long for a crustacean, but far from forever.

The only multicellular organism known to live "forever" is a jellyfish that metamorphoses into a juvenile form when conditions are such that they cannot support an adult.

In before "why don't you become a jellyfish".

>> No.8149831

It would still be fleeting in the grand scheme of things, implying there's a grand scheme

and you assume I want to be known. I want to live in peaceful isolation and be forgotten well before I even die.

>> No.8149833

>>8149817
Alexander the great is remembered. He has broken the lobster threshold.

>> No.8149837

Biological immortality is shit, come back when you've got something better.

>> No.8149839

>>8149833

Yet he lived well over twenty years shorter than a healthy lobster could expect.
The in context, the irony is rather amusing.

>> No.8149840

>>8149833
The question is, "will he be remembered when our species is inevitably eradicated?"

>> No.8149856

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

Off the net, but I have a book of Shelley's poetry I picked up on a whim. I'm not sure I'll be able to get through any of it.

>> No.8149884

Why would you want to live forever? When everything finally comes to an end you will still be there in a huge void of nothingness constantly suffocating because of no air or space or anything. But because you are imortal you would never die you would just be in a constant state of suffocating and just floating in a huge black void where you cant see anything not even yourself. You would be like that forever.

Then again...on the off chance there there just HAPPENS to be another big bang to start everything back up again I guess constantly suffering for eons would not be so bad because you would see the other end of it assuming there would be another end to nothingness

>> No.8149901

>>8149884
Personally I would hope to meet aliens who enjoy a good nukige

>> No.8149907

>>8149837
Clinical immortality?

>> No.8149914

>Our Galaxy is now in the brief springtime of its life - a springtime made glorious by such brilliant blue-white stars as Vega and Sirius, and, on a more humble scale, our own Sun. Not until all these have flamed through their incandescent youth, in a few fleeting billions of years, will the real history of the universe begin.

>It will be a history illuminated only by the reds and infareds of dully glowing stars that would be almost invisible to our eyes; yet the somber hues of that all- but-eternal universe may be full of color and beauty to whatever strange beings have adapted to it. They will know that before them lie, not the milions of years in which we measure the eras of geology, nor the billions of years which span the past lives of the stars, but years to be counted literally in trillions.

>They will have time enough, in those endless aeons, to attempt all things, and to gather all knowledge. They will not be like gods, because no gods imagined by our minds have ever possessed the powers they will command. But for all that, they may envy us, basking in the bright afterglow of Creation; for we knew the universe when it was young.

Infinity is a long time.

>> No.8149923

I read somewhere that if it weren't for disease, turtles may be immortal. As in 'immune to old age' immortal.

>> No.8149928

>>8149884

Once I read a synopsis of Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix, including a segment about this guy who through Phoenix-induced immortality survives the apocalypse and if left the last living being on earth.
Having nothing better to do, he just sits down and waits a couple of aeons for simple life, multicellular organisms, plants, animals, and finally sentient life to evolve again. Unfortunately in this iteration when sentient life finally evolves, they turn out to be slugs and incapable of meaningful interaction with him. So with nothing better to do, he sits down and waits for the slugs to destroy themselves and all else in a second apocalypse, until finally in yet another iteration of life of earth something vaguely human evolves to keep him company.

But after finally actually having read Phoenix, I found that that particular part didn't actually exist as it was summed up.

>> No.8150283

>>8149928
So the dude ended up with slugs only?

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action