[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 247 KB, 900x636, 1316557339732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8018949 No.8018949 [Reply] [Original]

I don't know if you remember me from a thread some days ago, in that time I broke and had to face two thirds of october with 20$. You suggested me some things and here I'm, I've subsisted with cheap ramen, microwave boiled pasta and other stuff. I didn't feel so energetic so I started to drink lots of coffee (Water + cheap instant coffee) that pumped me up for the first days

Days ago I started to feel sick, my body is not reacting pretty well to the bad alimentation and the obscene amount of instant coffee, I have colics and I don't feel like drinking more of that poison for a time.

I'd like to know, anyone that have experienced something like this, if you can't drink coffee nor tea (expensive where I live) what other stuff do you eat/drink/do to maintain yourself regularly efficent if you are low on cash?

Iku always related.

>> No.8018961

Buy a bag of rolled oats or something. Add water and microwave it.

>> No.8018963

Water and a jar of peanut butter will last you a good long time, and is actually a lot more healthy than that shitty instant noodle crap.

Though its probably not as filling. You can probably hit up wal-mart or some bakery store and get a trash bag full of their day-old stuff they're about to throw out because they cant sell it. Its still good. I got some damn good raisin bagels out of it once.

>> No.8018964

>>8018961
(You should be able to buy pounds of the stuff for less than a dollar, just get the supermarket brands, if you get a name brand you're a moron buying the same thing in a fancy packet/bag but I guess you can't afford to be a moron right now anyway )

>> No.8018969

I see you have no choice but to eat the cheapest of evil grains.... you have my sympathy and maybe you can be under the delusion that it is healthy to eat pure concentrated evil like most of the world is. i hope your body survives the month facing this threat

>> No.8018979

>>8018963
definitely check around bakeries and other places that will toss their unsold goods. i know this one place nearby will just put a bunch of paper bags full of bagels out every so often.

also food banks and soup kitchens. those places are meant for people who need the food assistance and you're definitely in that ballpark.

>> No.8018980

Yeah, I remember.
When I had to do that (living off of ~20$ a month for about half a year) I didn't really ate anything except rice/cheap bread and occasionally some really cheap cold cuts so I can't be of much help.
I'm not sure about drinking that much coffee tho when you're eating that badly for an extended period. I munched on some sugar instead, that helped giving some extra energy.
I remember some anon suggesting some vitamin tablets (in the form of fizzy pills? Costs around ~1,5$ around here and will last long enough for you).

>> No.8018987

>>8018963
>Water and a jar of peanut butter will last you a good long time,
No it won't. A jar of peanut butter is what... one and a half days' maintenance for the average person?

>> No.8018991

>>8018980
on that note, raid the mall or local fast food places for ketchup/mustard/mayo/etc packets

>> No.8019002

>>8018991
Ah yes, now that you say that I remember a couple of times spicing up my rice with some cheap tomato concentrate.

>> No.8019004

you're spending more money than you need to. Buy a bag of rice, and a bag of dry beans, both are only a couple dollars and will last you a while. Take a cup of rice, cook it. Take a cup of beans, soak them overnight, then boil 2 hours. Mix in a dish and put in the fridge. That will last you a few days, and you still have plenty of rice/beans left for when you run out. This is MUCH cheaper than eating ramon for the same time period. Get some powered sugar drink, tang, etc.. that you can drink when you feel low energy for a healthy sugar rush. Your body doesn't need a lot of sugar, but it still needs some sugar, so use it when you need it. Between the rice (carbs), beans (protein), and drank (sugar) you'll feel much bettter, be spending less money, and less time cooking (just cook a lot at once and put it in the fridge.) Buy 100 multi-vitamins for $10 at walmart to get the rest of what you need. It's a perfect way to eat, but it's better than what you're doing, and you're not gonna die (maybe turn mexican at the worst.)

>> No.8019020

What you need to do is prevent muscle and organ catabolism. Whether you meet your energy requirements or not, you are also still going to need essential amino acids. You can't live off shit food sources like bread and pasta. If you could find a bag of whey protein (WPI or WPC) super cheap, I would tell you to get that and life off your daily protein requirement, with your body fat making up the difference for energy. The problem is that you usually can only actually get it cheap by ordering it online, and even then it isn't that cheap. Protein is the most expensive macronutrient, so it's no easy task.

>> No.8019035
File: 74 KB, 640x480, 1310263770194.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You make me feel bad for blowing $700 on a new mobo, psu and cpu that I didn't even really need. I just wanted to play The Witcher 2.0.

Then again, I'm gonna be broke in a month because of it so I'll be able to empathize with you soon enough.

>> No.8019036

>>8019004
>Your body doesn't need a lot of sugar, but it still needs some sugar, so use it when you need it.
Your body doesn't NEED sugar. That is to say, you don't need sugar in your diet. You could go your entire life, into a ripe old age, without ever consuming a single gram of it. What is starch (ie, the energy source that rice consists of) broken down to in the digestive process? Sugar. You don't even need things that break down into sugar, though. The body is capable of converting protein into glucose through glycogenesis, and picking up most of glucose's workload by forming ketones from fat. I'm not saying this means you shouldn't eat sugar, but don't think that you need to eat something that actually has simple sugar just because your body needs a certain amount of glucose.

>> No.8019072
File: 321 KB, 800x600, 6f90ab2ab76a399dab2972017d079269.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Threads like this make me want to wire Anonymous a couple of bucks when he's down so he can buy himself some rice and beans and maybe some healthy cheap vegetables.

>> No.8019082

If you're that low on cash, go to a soup kitchen for homeless people, they don't ask questions. It's a free hot meal per day.

>> No.8019083

>>8019072
I always hear about "healthy cheap vegetables" but the only cheap vegetables around here are potatoes, onion and cabbages.

>> No.8019089

>>8018949
>I didn't feel so energetic
Energetic for what?

>if you can't drink coffee nor tea what other stuff do you eat/drink?
The answer is more obvious than you think. No, it isn't orange juice, soda, or urine.

>> No.8019101

Listen, I just went through this myself. $20 is more than you think. Your body can also get fucked up by eating the same damn thing over and over. Do this, spend $4 on some off brand multi-vitamins. Spend the other $16 on on sale food from a Kroger or local shop.

Bread shops also have sale racks of day old food. Check out the local pantries and get some canned vegetables. Get some instant mashed potatoes and a meat of some sort. Even hot-dogs. Beans are great with potatoes but can screw your stomach up man.

Take a vitamin once a day and make sure to eat with it. Also, despite what people are saying here. Have a soda a day with your food. It will give you energy and stop you from having caffeine withdraw.

>> No.8019103
File: 37 KB, 704x666, yamada.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019083
All of which are good vegetables that can be used in various combinations with beans and rice to make very healthy meals that will keep you alive and healthy.

We're not talking about taste, or being fancy. We're talking about getting the bare minimum things in your body to keep you from getting sick from malnutrition. It doesn't really take that much.

You can wait for sales to get other vegetables, but you do need to eat things other than starch.

>> No.8019105

>>8019083
That's all you need. A cabbage will literally last you a week if you chop off a portion and steam or boil it to add with your rice and beans. A single carrot, half an onion, and an eighth of a cabbage can go a long way in making a simple rice and beans dish more palatable.

>> No.8019108

Are you on foodstamps? That really helps out a lot. I get about 150$ from that monthly.

>> No.8019111

>>8019101
This is what I do, tho I do also go to food banks. They can save your life, if not make you feel crappy for depending on them.

>> No.8019116

Don't buy vegetables if you're broke, that's stupid. Most vegetables are hardly healthy anyway, and the "healthy vegetables" people talk about are vegetables that will cost ridiculous amounts of money if you want a decent amount of energy from them. Or more like, you won't be able to get enough energy at the rate they fill your stomach.

If your "healthy vegetables" are actually potatoes, you might be fine on that front.

>> No.8019123

What are the most healthiest vegetables to eat, and what's the best way to cook them? steam?

>> No.8019121
File: 143 KB, 618x770, 1229828987910.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019111
I'd wonder if OP is too agoraphobic to do something like that. /jp/ tends to be that way.

>> No.8019133

>>8019123
Forget about vegetables. You don't actually need fiber, and the vegetables that are fibrous won't even give you energy precisely because fiber is just junk you can't digest. Micronutrient content varies from one vegetable to the next, and some are better than others, but that shouldn't be a problem if you just get a multivitamin. And a month or so of not getting certain minerals and nutrients won't kill you. I doubt anyone in this thread even gets their RDI each day anyway.

>> No.8019134
File: 268 KB, 528x400, dino pipa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019103
Take it easy, I was just asking.
Incidentally I like the ones I mentioned, I was just curious what the allknowing anons were referring to.
(potato is one of the most diverse and awesome foodstuff imho)

>> No.8019136

>>8019123
Healthiest way to eat most vegetables is raw, especially if you need vitamin C.

And as for which ones are the best to eat, the answer is whatever is the cheapest by mass, so you can get the most out of it for the longest period of time.

Basically you just want whatever you can get your hands on. Rice for your starch, beans for your protein and vegetables for the few vitamins the rice and beans can't give you is probably the best money-to-food conversion you can get.

>> No.8019140

oatmeal, ramen, beans, rice, flinstones vitamins.

>> No.8019143

Are vegetables really that bad?

I consume a fair amount of carrots, lettuce and broccoli each month, but should I just throw them out of the window and buy a load of multivitamin juice instead?

>> No.8019146

>>8019143
Vegetables are the shit

>> No.8019150

>>8019143
Do you enjoy eating them? Can you afford it?
Then it's not bad.
Of course everything gives you cancer/aids/whateveryouwant but don't let that reign your life.

>> No.8019147

>>8019136
Beans for protein? Beans have a shitty amount of protein, and having any protein at all doesn't make a food a good protein source. And they're not complete protein sources, either. Maybe you can get beans because they're cheap, just don't think they're really helping you nutritionally beyond being a cheap source of energy, and if you don't need to get them for that, don't.

>> No.8019148

>>8019133
This Anonymous is right. You want to avoid fibrous vegetables. They'll make you feel full, but they won't give you anything in the way of energy.

However, I think it's wrong to avoid vegetables outright for the simple fact that they are cheap. Look for starchier vegetables like potatoes, carrots, fruits (tomato, bell pepper, etc) rather than fibrous ones like lettuce.

>> No.8019154

>>8019147
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_and_beans
>The dish is very nutritious. Rice is rich in starch, an excellent source of energy. Rice also has iron, vitamin B and protein. Beans also contain a good amount of iron and an even greater amount of protein than rice. Most significantly, the consumption of the two in tandem provides all the essential amino acids.

>> No.8019162

I figure, from your diet, you need carbohydrates, amino acids, fat, vitamins and minerals. Eating a multivitamin every two or three days is probably a cheaper way of getting the last stuff than actually varying your diet, and carbohydrates are everywhere, so just make sure you're getting all your essential amino acids in your diet.

Also you can put in a carrot and an onion here and there for flavor since they're almost as cheap as potatoes.

>> No.8019170

>>8019143
The majority of them are shit.
Like carrots.
Empty carbs.
almost no calories.

chicken, oatmeal and bacon/steak and water is enough to maintain a healthy life for the poor.
You can get the multivitamin if you want.

Also, make sure you diet isn't protein and carbs only, add fats to prevent diabetes 2.

>> No.8019173

What's the best way to cook your potatoes? I sometimes oven bake mine, not in any oil or anything, just sitting there on the oven rack. They take about an hour to be cooked though.

>> No.8019175

>>8019143
Vegetables are shit if you're broke, because they are, mostly, not calorie dense (especially the fibrous ones), and therefore do not work out well as far as the ratio of cash:calories goes. Trying to buy a range of vegetables in a pitiful attempt to fulfill your micronutrient quotas is just completely destructive if you don't have the money. On the other hand, if you're not broke, do you really care? Broccoli is the least calorific source vitamin C.

And never consider juice a health drink. Most juice has as much sugar as your average non-diet soda. Juice is basically sugar and water, after all, and maybe some small amount of micronutrients after that, depending on what sort of juice. If you're worried about your micronutrients, get a multivitamin tablet, and take it with food, especially with fatty food because some vitamins are fat-soluble, not water-soluble. Meaning you won't be able to digest them at all without fat.

>> No.8019176

>>8019170
>bacon

Since when was this food for the poor?

>> No.8019179
File: 64 KB, 464x779, 1206495485910.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Basically there's close to a billion people in the world who get by on rice and beans. They're really good for you and are cheap as fuck by mass.

>> No.8019185

>>8019147
> Maybe you can get beans because they're cheap, just don't think they're really helping you nutritionally beyond being a cheap source of energy, and if you don't need to get them for that, don't.
We wouldn't be having this discussion at all if we weren't worried about cost. He could just eat meat.

>> No.8019186

>>8019175
If you're just going for a high cash:calories, just fucking buy butter and eat it with a spoon.

>> No.8019195

>>8019186
He could just drink vegetable oil, which is better since it's non saturated fat.

>> No.8019193

Anyone tried cooking with semen? I heard it has a shitload of protein, like average load is 2 full egg whites, jumbo size.

>> No.8019194
File: 34 KB, 460x361, 1172382202628.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019185
>just eat meat
Plus think of all the vegetarians out there. Where do you think they get their protein? Motherfucking rice and beans. (If they're cheap, anyway. There are other, more expensive ways to do this, too.)

>> No.8019202

>>8019186
When I was poor I used to drink 8 tablespoons of olive oil and eat nutella.

so poor

>> No.8019204

The samurai sat and ate all /jp/s white polished rice and then refused to defend them from the brigands. Until one old anonymous saw that /jp/ themselves were not eating rice. /jp/ were eating millet. And Kurosawa was pleased that anonymous and six other losers defended /jp/ in a six hour communist epic.

Neet is 99%

>> No.8019208

>>8019193
it's fairly insignificant amounts of protein.

>> No.8019210

>>8019208
2 free egg whites a day doesn't sound bad to me. Anyone have a pdf of that cooking with semen book?

>> No.8019212

>>8019154
You link me a wikipedia article where someone can justify claims by linking to any article from some trashy cooking/nutrition information source? How about some actual numbers?
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5722/2
Two grams of protein per 100 calories. Fucking two. Depending on your protein goals, that's what, 5000 calories for your daily protein needs? 10,000? More? As you can see, rice has practically no protein.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5710/2
Brown rice is the same.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4300/2
9 grams of protein per 124 calories, it's better than rice, and you could actually quite easily meet your daily needs at that rate for these particular amino acids, but I question the legitimacy of trying to make up what's missing with rice. The
>and an even greater amount of protein than rice
Is just hilarious, by the way. As we've established, rice has practically no protein. This isn't a spectacular claim.

>> No.8019213

Have any of you actually lived on rice and beans?
I did for a few months and I didn't suffer a bit.
I gained a few kilos, though

>> No.8019230

>>8019195
>which is better since it's non saturated fat.
Maybe if you're living in 1990. Vegetable oil is trash, and the source of the vast majority of trans fats in the world today, don't consume it.

As for butter, I don't know if it's a good idea as far as cash:calories goes. How much does it actually cost? Even a pound of butter is only good for about one and a half days, if you assume 2000 calories a day is maintenance.

>> No.8019240

>>8019230
I'm excluding olive oil here, by the way.

>> No.8019245

>>8019230
>the source of the vast majority of trans fats
It becomes trans fat only if you overcook it.
I'm suggesting to drink it raw.

But fuck butter anyway. You can buy a bucket of lard for the price of a pack of butter.

>> No.8019267

Cut out the tea and coffee, drinking anything but water is stupid when you're low on cash. And the caffeine just makes your body burn through even more calories.

Microwave food, ramen and other instant meals are actually very expensive. Instead, get dry pasta. 250g of spaghetti provide enough calories for a day, so this pack would've lasted you the whole 20 days and you still would've had half your money left:
http://www.amazon.com/Ronzoni-Thin-Spaghetti-16-Ounce-Pack/dp/B0049T8I70/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid
=1319170591&sr=8-12
The remainder of the money should go into sources of wholesome protein (meat, fish, soy), vitamins and other important nutrients. A can of tuna once a week or so might be a good idea, and maybe a few bananas.
Also, look into using soy sauce. It makes the pasta etc. taste more interesting and is pretty healthy, as it contains wholesome proteins your body can't synthesize on its own.

I did once get through two weeks eating only the pasta, cans of tuna, soy sauce, vitamin supplements and onions that I always keep around for bad times.

>> No.8019269

Rice and beans.

>> No.8019274

I try not blowing all my money on drugs OP, it works wonders.

If you must, the classic Bread + water always works for filling your stomach, although if that is too much for you, you could try buying brown rice by the pound, as it is actually nutritious.

>> No.8019280

>>8019035
>Being broke after spending 700$.

Lol, poorfags gonna poor.

>> No.8019286

>>8019280
That's my whole salary if I put in long hourse.
In three shifts. ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

>>8019245
>lard
Ah, yes. I actually prefer it for cooking and well, lard spread on a slice of bread with a few slices of gherkin... mhmmm.

>> No.8019289

>>8019286
And no, I don't know why I typed hourse.
I'm not even into horses.

>> No.8019293

Fasting. Water and vitamins.

>> No.8019303

I also would suggest to buy some cheap white rice, beans and multivitamin.
And in what country is tea more expensive than coffee?

>> No.8019306

My daily meal consist of french bread, water, banana/grape, soda and once or twice per week a nice slice of pizza for $2.39.

>> No.8019317

If you had posted your paypal email address OP, I would of wired you a few dollars for some food.

>> No.8019324

You should consider going to a food bank.

You're going to hurt yourself when you don't have to, there are places that donate food. You have the internet and you probably qualify for food stamps as well as charity lunches.

When I visited a homeless friend of mine a few years back (she was a drug addict) I had lunch with her at the shelter. It was subway. I donated, but if you are truly unfortunate, go take advantage of these programs.

I would rather see my tax and charity dollars go to someone who is literate and into these weeaboo hobbies than go to other people.

>> No.8019326

>>8019306

>pizza

What a waste of money. A true hikkikomori would know that all processed food is shit more expensive than rice+beans+frozen vegetables.

>> No.8019328
File: 7 KB, 240x251, 1319105251429.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019324

>I would rather see my tax and charity dollars go to someone who is literate and into these weeaboo hobbies than go to other people.

Haha holy shit

>> No.8019332

holy fuck

and i feel awful because i just spent $150+ on food in the past two weeks

>> No.8019331

I eat clay to ease hunger. I live in a rural area so it's easy to find relative good quality clay around.

>> No.8019335

... why don't you try getting a job?

Survival first, pride later.

>> No.8019337

>>8019335
If you work you lose

>> No.8019339

buy rice, eggs, bread, cheese, frozen vegetables, potatos, and beans. you're a freaking retard for eating ramen like that. are you some retard kid in college or are you an adult? time to grow up and learn about life a little. also, go to a fucking church or food shelf so you can buy lots of stuff in bulk for nearly free.

>> No.8019338
File: 123 KB, 870x840, 1318874200048.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019335
>getting a job

Welcome to /jp/, have a complimentary dakimakura.

>> No.8019341
File: 13 KB, 150x150, Brick_(Block).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019331
>I eat clay
So.. you can actually shit bricks?

>> No.8019345

Buy a bag of oats, you can get them for about a dollar a pound, they're easy to prepare (mix with hot water, or cut up some wild fruit and add milk), but it tastes amazing.

>> No.8019351

Is it actually viable to live on your own without a job or autist money?

>> No.8019354 [DELETED] 
File: 44 KB, 784x811, 1316189672945.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019351
yes, there is quite a few of us who do. not everyone who receives disability money lives with their parents. you just need some basic knowledge to make it work.

>> No.8019357

>>8019354
Tips?

>> No.8019359

>>8019351
No. It's more like survival than living really. My advice is to just pick up undesirable jobs or test-on positions.

For undesirable jobs there's no competition. For test-on jobs... when I went to take a test-on job I looked around the room and just laughed. I was like "If I can't beat these retards... lol."

I killed them. Not even close. Most of /jp/ probably could. I got a real higher paying job after, but it actually would have been a legit job ($27 hour, 32 hours a week) for someone who just wants to pay rent, eat/drink well, etc.

>> No.8019364

>>8019326
It's food, retard. Sometimes you eat food because you think it's tasty.

10/10, etc.

>> No.8019387

>>8019359
>$27 hour
where the fuck do you live

>> No.8019393

>>8019359
27$ an hour?
What the hell kind of work was that?

>> No.8019395

>>8019364
I wish I could eat food because I thought it was tasty. Those were the days.

Then again, I was also fat.

>> No.8019400

How do you go about getting autism money?

I actually have autism so I don't have to lie/fake it or anything

>> No.8019416

>>8019400
Live in a socialist state.

>> No.8019428

>>8019400
self-diagnosis-autism.jpg

>> No.8019437

>>8019428
I'm diagnosed in Britain but not in America

>>8019416
Not anymore man

>> No.8019439

>>8019428
Such image exist

if so, then post it i can't pretend to have autism and i won't get near chubby.jpg poster just to get it.

>> No.8019443

I've made upwards of $85/hour as a software development contractor. I'm not working at the moment, been living off of my savings the past couple of years, but there's lots of work out there if you have skills.

Probably going to have to find another gig soon, or I'll be as poor as the rest of you here.

>> No.8019451

I wish I could bring myself to go to a doctor to get diagnosed but there's no way I could manage it.

>> No.8019459

As far as drinking, I'd say just stick to water. Can't really go wrong there. It would be convenient if you had a water filter though.

>> No.8019463

Is it possible to get money for being a schizoid?

>> No.8019473

>>8019463
I don't think so. The most they'll do is get you food stamps or put you on regular welfare and set you up with a social worker to find you a job, some places might even pay you for some basic back-to-work training, depending on what kind of country you live in.

>> No.8019472

>>8019459
>water filter
I drink direct from the tap and I'm perfectly healthy.

>> No.8019480

>>8019154
the protein in legumes are not as bioavailable compared to eggs, milk and breast chicken.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioavailability

>> No.8019482

>>8019472
It depends where you live.
Here where i live it's no problem to drink tap water.

>> No.8019484

>>8019472
When you're not perfectly healthy you probably wouldn't ever associate whatever happens to be wrong with the water you drink.

The water might be fine for you now, and pretty much harmless compared to everything else the typical filtered water drinker, but the establishment has all sorts of sick, twisted plans for the water supply. If they think something is good for you, they want to dump it right into that. Some people want to put statins in the water supply. And the pharmaceutical giants are happy to comply.

>> No.8019485

>>8019480
The remaining proteins you need come from the rice. Rice and beans gives you everything you need as an adult. There are people who subsist off of nothing but rice and beans for decades.

>> No.8019486

>>8019480
is that why they cause so much gas?

>> No.8019487

>>8019480
whoops, should have posted this link instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_protein_per_unit_area_of_land

the protein found in beans and legumes (and hence, soy milk and tofu) is not as readily absorbed by the human body compared to other sources.

Good protein sources are egg white, whey protein, milk, and white meat (fish, chicken). Mediocre sources are red meat (e.g. beef: red meat contains more complex proteins that are harder to digest), peanuts. Shit sources are beans and legumes.

>> No.8019490

>>8019485
Bioavailability has nothing to do with whether or not something is a complete protein. It can be a complete protein and yet be practically useless as a protein source due to that protein simply not being entirely bioavailable, and being lacking in protein by mass to begin with.
>Rice and beans gives you everything you need as an adult.
Ha.
>There are people who subsist off of nothing but rice and beans for decades.
[Citatin needed]. Also, Living =/= living and faring well. Who exactly are these people? How are their muscles and organs holding up? How long do they live? Do they really eat nothing but rice and beans? What kind of rice, which beans? Any people with significant muscle mass out of these people, or are they all skin and bones?

>> No.8019494

>>8019487
Of course beans are not the best protein source but they are cheap and combined with rice you get all necessary amino acids.

>> No.8019497

It's like I'm really in /fit/.

>> No.8019499
File: 19 KB, 553x546, 1318740790260.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8019503

>[Citation needed].
Any third world country where people live on less than a dollar a day for food. Sometimes it's not really rice and beans, though. Sometimes it's just millet. And that's it.

>Also, Living =/= living and faring well. Who exactly are these people? How are their muscles and organs holding up? How long do they live? Do they really eat nothing but rice and beans? What kind of rice, which beans? Any people with significant muscle mass out of these people, or are they all skin and bones?
Who the fuck cares? Nobody is going to fare well off two fucking dollars a day, which is what people are trying to eat off of.

>> No.8019504

>>8019497
optimizing your dietary budget to match your financial income is /jp/ related

>> No.8019506

>>8019497
You don't visit /fit/, do you?

>> No.8019511

>>8019503
It's a pretty big jump from "just eat this crap if you can't afford any better" to "everything you need as an adult".

>> No.8019515

>>8019511
It keeps you alive and functioning. That's all you need, as in, allows you to wake up in the morning and go to sleep at night, having successfully survived another day. Most people eat a lot more than they need because they care about their health.

>> No.8019517

>>8019511
The problem is you protein elitists who have come from /fit/ or something and taken over the thread keep pointing to food that can't be bought in circumstances like OP's. Nobody was saying beans were the epitome of health food or anything.

>> No.8019521 [DELETED] 

>>8019515
Okay, that's pushing it, because people can live on just, like, millet, as I said. But I believe that you can eat just rice and beans, maybe plus supplements from time to time, and not actively suffer from malnutrition, as in, getting jaundice and yellow fingernails and kwashiorkor and the like.

>> No.8019527

>>8019515
Okay, that's pushing it, because people can live on just, like, millet, as I said. But I believe that you can eat just rice and beans, maybe plus supplements from time to time, and not actively suffer from malnutrition, as in, suffering from chronic exhaustion or various nutrient deficiency diseases.

>> No.8019538

>>8019393
>>8019387

California. It was my pay for census when I was briefly laid off. I took the census test and was in a room full of barely human looking mongoloid beasts. They gave us like 2 hours for the test. I finished in 30 minutes. All questions right. Pay was $27. I lead other workers, set our hours, and got paid to basically "supervise" the bubbling of 10 different fields.

Other state test-on jobs are available. I tested to a $70k paygrade job. It's actually super easy. I am a genius. Even if I wasn't, if you're at least "okay" you'd have no problem. The people who get these things are not "okay" that's why they need a bureaucratic institution to shield them (note: most businesses are like the government in this way, the government is NOT this magical hub of inefficiency).

>> No.8019540

Supporting your body building hobby requires more than rice and beans. Brown rice and beans, with the occasional fried egg thrown in ever few days, is enough for your typical person who isn't doing dozens or hundreds of reps at an expensive gym every day trying to build body mass.

You people with your body building diets, thinking that anything that isn't for building body mass or cutting fat is bad are weird. Like, as weird as us people who spend years in our apartments with no friends or outside contact.

>> No.8019542

>>8019540
>doing dozens or hundreds of reps
Say goodbye to your gains.

>> No.8019548

>>8019540
u mirin my autism brah?

>> No.8019551
File: 4 KB, 153x160, T_T.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019538
Ah, right.
A different continent. Feel my third world country envy.

>> No.8019561
File: 8 KB, 289x174, mongoloids..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019538
Was it kind of like this.

>> No.8019566
File: 337 KB, 900x684, 1299394263210.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think I'm coming a little late, but.

Instant or quick preparation = expensive. It's almost a thing of logic.

And some people are recommending meat, meat is among the most expensive.

Cheap and healthy is very difficult to achieve.

>> No.8019568

>>8019538
>calfornia
>that feel when a flimsy calfornia college student like me can't apply for anything higher than minimum wage

>> No.8019587

>>8019568
Who are you quoting?

>> No.8019595

>>8019540
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKMB2WNoIIk&t=7m

>> No.8019596

>>8019587
Your mom.

>> No.8019601
File: 19 KB, 240x317, Cartoon-Hey-Rabbi-Whatcha-Doing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019587
>who am i quoting

>> No.8019607

Remember when greentext and "that feel" were frowned upon here.

>> No.8019613

>>8019566
Nah, you can get pretty cheap meat if you don't mind the fact that it might not be quite fresh or even meat.

>> No.8019621
File: 60 KB, 704x661, 1318079594967.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here comes /fit/.

Let's get this shit straight.

The average /jp/ otaku DOES NOT NEED complete protein sources. They are not interested in building, or even maintaining LBM. There is absolutely no reason to structure your diet around having complete protein sources when you're living on a BUDGET.

With that being said, beans are a great source of carbs and calories. They're cheap, filling, and high in fiber.

Dried skim milk is a good source of cheap protein. It has just as much vitamins and proteins as fresh skim milk.

Eggs, depending on where you live, are extremely cheap.

Eat your goddamn vegetables. Like the other anon said, the cheapness of frozen vegetables is a good reason to include them in your diet, not to mention that fact that they contain essential nutrients like vitamins.

If you're on a budget, don't buy shit like multivitamins or fish oil. The money you spend to buy MV is better spent on food that keeps you full.

You faggots are all forgetting that OP is living on a BUDGET. He's not asking for /fit/ advice.

I left that shithole of a board a long ass time ago because you idiots can't understand the fact that:

- free weight exercises are generally shit for bodybuilding
- curls are essential to building a well-rounded physique
- half rep pullups are okay if you're targeting your lats
- you can seriously do whatever the hell you want if you're 1) strong and 2) on steroids

>> No.8019624

>>8019607
That feel is a epic and accepted /jp/ meme fucking newfag.

>> No.8019629

I miss having chickens in my backyard. I would wake up and have fresh eggs all the time.

>> No.8019630

>>8019621
>high in fiber
>great source of calories
Contradictory

>> No.8019648

>>8019642

typo, I'm going to delete that post in a sec

100g of black beans

348 kcal
62.1g carbs (16 g fibre)

100g of brown rice

330 kcal
69g carbs (3g fibre)

Beans provide HIGHER calories and HIGHER fibre content.

Go back to your broscience forum dumbass.

>> No.8019649

>>8019621
>Eat your goddamn vegetables. Like the other anon said, the cheapness of frozen vegetables is a good reason to include them in your diet, not to mention that fact that they contain essential nutrients like vitamins.
>not to mention that fact that they contain essential nutrients like vitamins.
Uh.

Frozen vegetables are still going to be shit as far as cheap calories go, your "not to mention," which implies there's something else valuable, is followed by the only reason you might consider buying them. Your best bet is to say fuck it to micronutrients as long as you're in poverty, if it isn't going to last a ridiculously long time.

Apparently you left /fit/ because you're a broscientist and it shows.

>> No.8019650

>>8019621
>Average Jp Otaku.

No, I'm 1,90 and 88 Kg because my parents fed and raised me properly, I took the "wrong way" but not for that I'm not gona be interested in how to get a cheap good alimentation. Fuck you.

>> No.8019657

>>8019649

> if it isn't going to last a ridiculously long time.

You have never been in poverty. Do you know how likely you are to get sick without vegetables for extended periods of time?

>> No.8019658

>>8019621
>- free weight exercises are generally shit for bodybuilding
>- curls are essential to building a well-rounded physique
>- half rep pullups are okay if you're targeting your lats
>- you can seriously do whatever the hell you want if you're 1) strong and 2) on steroids
You aren't missed.

>> No.8019665

>>8019649
>>8019658
So the two guys who keep posting here were actually from /fit?

>> No.8019666

>>8019658

Ask quad, he will completely agree with everything I say. He advocates leg presses for bodybuilding, curls for larger arms, and machine exercises like leg curls.

>> No.8019677

>>8019658

You know there's nothing wrong with what he's saying.

>free weight exercises

Cable flys are superior to dumbbell flys.

>curls are essential

There is no competing powerlifter or bodybuilder who doesn't curl.

>half rep pullups

The top part of pullups engage mostly biceps. There are plenty of people who do half rep pullups solely to pump their lats.

>you can do whatever you want if you're on steroids

It's true. Cheat reps and dangerous exercises haven't kept them off the olympia stage.

>> No.8019678

>>8019657
>Do you know how likely you are to get sick without vegetables for extended periods of time?
You can theoretically live on a diet with no vegetables without getting sick, so no, I certainly don't know of the kind of thing you seem to be implying. If you mean without certain micronutrients for extended periods of time, then yes, but that could easily be covered by a MV. And before you get started on cost, I'm pretty sure the frozen vegetables being suggested would add up, in a week or less, to the amount a few months' supply of MV costs, for a fraction of the micronutrient content.

>> No.8019686

>>8019650
>Because my parents fed me properly

They tested growth drugs on you, by chance do you have a 3º testicle or enormous

>> No.8019694

>>8019678

Are you seriously implying that you can live off of rice and beans?

No you can't. You need to supplement your diet with a variety to make daily rice+beans tolerable.

MV = provides 0 satiation, half of the content gets pissed out

frozen vegetables = provides good satiation

What don't you understand about frozen vegetables being a better investment than MV for economic living?

>> No.8019698

>>8019677
It's fine to understand all of that, but it takes a faggot to see what probably ended up as a few threads arguing about compound lifts, ROM and steroids as reasons to abandon a board.

>> No.8019699

>>8019650

>I took the "wrong way" but not for that I'm not gona be interested in how to get a cheap good alimentation

Strong English skills. Also, I may be a hikkikomori but I have a 90 kg snatch. I bet you can't even snatch 1plate.

>> No.8019703

>>8019698

Way to backpedal faggot. Go back to Starting Strength forums to argue about how squats build a strong upperbody.

>> No.8019707

>>actually visiting /fit/

Say goodbye to your gains!

>>8019666
I don't agree with the lack of free weights though. You desperately need those as you get older. Most of /fit/ is young as balls and basically everything works at that age. When you are nearing 30 and over you will not be maintain your ripped core with only sit ups and reverse crunches (you need deadlifts and squats/front squats).

>> No.8019708

>>8019703
Way to get mad, is it the roids? Enjoying your gyno?

>> No.8019715

>>8019686

You are retarded.

Any caucasion/black human male can reach that heigh with proper fed, I guess you are a small fat asian that wonders why fuck he only did grow wide and not tall.

>> No.8019713

>>8019694
Well yeah, nobody's arguing that MVs beat vegetables in terms of taste, but ten dollars will get you enough multivitamins for a year, which is a place that frozen vegetables can't compete. Piss out half and there's still a lot left.

>> No.8019728

>>8019713

My argument was that you should spend all of your money on food, instead of non-essential supplements like MV.

>>8019708

Nobody gets gyno from steroids nowadays. Only somebody who has never done steroids would say that.

>>8019707

When you become 45 years old, you should stick to a machine only regime because of the likelihood of becoming injured.

Every lifter, no matter how experienced they are, can get injury from doing squats or deadlifts. The likelihood is magnified as you get older.

>> No.8019719

>>8019657

I have lived on less than $100 a month food budget. I spent nearly all of it on meat and $1-$2 carbs (think giant bags of off-brand cheez-its).

You basically hit your daily protein reqs from eating meat that's on sale for less than $1.29 a pound and then use things like "Finding Nemo" (goldfish knockoff, 1700kcal for $1) to fill in your cal deficit.

Vitamins, vegetables, fruits-- they don't mean anything. It's all about hitting macronutrients.

I actually lost weight on that. I gained weight when I started adding vegetables and restaurant food.

>> No.8019729

The only health advice I want is how to eat and exercise if I want to look like a girl but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to /fit/ for that.

>> No.8019734

>>8019719

>"Finding Nemo" (goldfish knockoff, 1700kcal for $1)

Please aware us on this.

>> No.8019745

>>8019719
> lost weight while starving himself
No fucking way.

>> No.8019783

>>8019719
And you think 100$ on food only is poverty?
Really now...

>> No.8019838

>>8019783
$25 on groceries a week for a single guy is pretty much eating like a king status in America.

Maybe he lives in JAPAN where milk is like $50 or something.

>> No.8019848

>>8019694
>Are you seriously implying that you can live off of rice and beans?
Why do you think I'm the guy saying you can? I'm not, just so you know. However, I am coming from the view of macro/micronutrients against money.

>No you can't. You need to supplement your diet with a variety to make daily rice+beans tolerable. MV = provides 0 satiation, half of the content gets pissed out frozen vegetables = provides good satiation
"Tolerable"? "Satiation"? You're talking about things irrelevant to nutrition. We aren't trying to help someone lose weight here, why does satiation or satisfaction with the diet matter? And what's tolerable to you and tolerable to someone else is different.

My point is that the cost of frozen vegetables will quickly add up to the point where eating them is costing more than simply buying an MV, for a vastly inferior array of vitamins and minerals. And since vegetables that do have impressive micronutrient profiles are generally not very calorific, I argue that it's more economic to combine a relatively micronutrient void source of calories with a micronutrient. And maybe, yes, that source could be rice. If you're to object to the rice/bean guy, it would really be on the grounds of protein (which I did) but people have already pointed out that looking at protein is just not going to work out economically.

>> No.8019859

>>8019848

>I argue that it's more economic to combine a relatively micronutrient void source of calories with a micronutrient.

Satiation is a huge issue with living on budget, which is the point of the thread.

>> No.8019877

>>8019859
The effect of satiation is being satisfied. It means you feel that you're full, that you feel you've had enough food.

That's an issue of happiness, not nutrition. It's not about how to best survive, which is the goal here, if I'm not mistaken.

>> No.8020028
File: 21 KB, 275x212, Rabbit%20hunting1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8019629
Amen to that. On top of which once they start hatching, I get to shoot and eat the males.

I wouldn't exactly say keeping chickens around is a cheap source of protein, but if you've got a lot of extra land and a place for them to sleep safely they can really forage and eat shit on their own, and you get to eat their delicious ass babies.

That and we got enough land that on really bad days I can just go inna woods for a few hours and shoot something to eat. .22 ammunition is cheaper than a fucking pack of soda.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action