[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 57 KB, 512x560, bonsai_oak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7920170 No.7920170 [Reply] [Original]

I started this thread over at /an/ as well, but I thought I might post it here because I'm not really sure where it belongs:

Does anyone know much about training bonsai trees? I want to do a bonsai Oak (pic related). I am fairly new at this so I am not sure if it is better for me to start by miniaturizing a larger tree (i.e. chopping the trunk off at the point that I want it) or by starting with an acorn and starting from scratch?

>> No.7920177

>>7920170
jp and 4chan arent the best places to ask such a question. In all seriousness, take a look at the threads on the front page of jp and ask yourself if this is the right place.

>> No.7920185

Take a look at the front page of /jp/. Take a look at the second, third, fourth, and all subsequent pages. Does this thread look like something that anyone here cares or knows about? Is this thread related in any way, shape, or form to the other threads? The answer is no.

Reported for more off-topic bullshit from other boards.

>> No.7920190

Obviously, raising one from the scratch will obviously take several years. How about you buy some grown cheap bonsai first and see how well you do with that one so you won't kill off your oak.

>> No.7920194

>>7920177

Yeah well I brought it here as bonsai is part of general Japanese culture.

>>7920185
Which board would you suggest?

>> No.7920196

/jp/ - Bonsai Tree General

>> No.7920197

>>7920185
>Does this thread look like something that anyone here cares or knows about? Is this thread related in any way, shape, or form to the other threads? The answer is no.
Did you find /jp/ yesterday or what the fuck

>> No.7920206

>>7920190

There is an oak tree in the back yard of the house I grew up in. I think I might take a couple acorns from there when I go home for Thanksgiving and pot them and see what I can do and then just miniaturize an oak from home depot in the mean time.

>> No.7920220

For one thing, there isn't really a board for this since there's no gardening board. But it's definitely not /jp/. I guess /an/ is as close as it comes since "nature" also counts plants.

Nevertheless I do know a fair amount about these (grow them myself)... Anyway your best bet is to find a bonsai nursery and get whatever one you want. If you can't find one anywhere in your region that could be an issue, but that's not my concern here.

Personally I find trident maples, Chinese elm (elms overall actually, Dutch elm's cool too) to be some of the best bonsai. Their leaves shrink down well, they have fine bark and they get really nice root structure pretty quickly, plus they get a nice branching structure easily. Pines can be tougher to train since some of them will have gigantic needles basically no matter what and/or refuse to branch out much.

Oaks are to my knowledge pretty hard to bonsai-ize since their leaves tend to not shrink down much; that one in your picture is probably pretty big (like 2+ feet tall); it takes many decades to get them like that. If you're cool needing at least 5 years for it to sort of start to look like a tree then you can try it from acorn, but otherwise just find a nursery.. they should have lots of 5-10 year old trees of all kinds for pretty cheap there.

Bonsai are also pretty intensive fyi. You need to water them EVERY DAY (their pots dry out fast) or they will die in not even a week's negligence. They also need root ball care (they get "pot bound" if you don't change the pot every so often) and specific soil/mineral reqs. But good luck anyway.

>> No.7920217

OP here,

I honestly never come to this board, but if figured this would pretty much be the place to bring this query. If this isn't an on topic thread... then what exactly is the point of this board.

This feels like the time that I went to /tg/ to talk about chess and everyone wanted to talk about D&D.

>> No.7920231

>& Nature
OP's first line was amusing until I read this.

>> No.7920237

I have bought 3 trees in OBI which is a DIY store here. Two died miserably for various reasons but the last one is still alive despite the hardships I put it through.
I think you should do parallel or start with a cheap instant bonsai to see how much care it needs and learn the basics of trimming and supplying it with nutrients. You don't want to kill your baby bonsai you put so much effort into it because of your lack of experience.

>> No.7920239

>>7920206
Well, there's no harm in trying to grow all of them at once, of course.

>>7920217
Don't even start that discussion. Strictly speaking /jp/ is for nothing but very specific aspects of Japanese media as defined by the community, it's not Japan/General anymore.

That said there's been bonsai threads here every now and then and personally I welcome one at the moment.

>> No.7920259

>>7920220
>>7920237

Have either of you had any experience with miniaturization, specifically taking an already large tree and chopping it off at the base to create a bonsai? I think I might try all three methods simultaneously and see how it goes.

As for doing a different tree than an oak, the reason I specifically chose Oak is that after some research I found that the two best trees for beginners are Juniper and oak. I prefer deciduous trees, I just think it would be cool to watch my little tree go through the seasons, and also I grew up in a place that had a lot of oak trees so it would be kind of a reminder of home.

>> No.7920265

>>7920217
Touhou, visual novels, kigurumi, figures, dolls, and idols.

>> No.7920270

>>7920265

You forgot bonsai.

>> No.7920271

>>7920270
Fuck off.

>> No.7920279

>>7920265
>2hu
>>>/v/

>VN
>>>/v/
>>>/lit/

>Kigurumi
>>>/cgl/

>dolls
>>>/toy/

>idols
>>>/s/

Your move.

>> No.7920285

>>7920259
Oh yeah, juniper's great. Super tiny needles and tough as nails survivability.

With leaves, as far as I've seen, if you're trying to bonsai-ize some young tree that's already grown a fair bit, the size you see the leaves at right now = the size they will always want to be at. So, it's crucial to pick a tree with the smallest leaves out of the ones you see there.

Also, with something you pick up from Yardbirds or Home Depot or some such, you may have to risk chopping the trunk off somewhere between one or two feet up, to really turn it around to miniaturize it, since there probably won't be any low lying branches to train and thus you need the tree to sprout a bunch of new ones. With a young tough tree like an oak, they could likely survive this although it depends how you go about it. You should do a major cut like that in maybe early spring, since that's when the most growth happens and hence it's most likely to recover.

>> No.7920288

>>7920279
>>>/b/

Your move.

>> No.7920290

>>7920279
Who are you quoting? What's the point of the greentext in your post?

>> No.7920291

>>7920288
so buttdevastated you forgot your sage. Or could it be you're too new.

>> No.7920293

>>7920279
>>7920288
Please take this conversation to easymodo and announce the eventual results here. While you're at it, look for the previous bonsai threads for reference.

>> No.7920297

>>7920279
moot said himself /jp/ was made for Touhou, VNs, doujin and figs. As in, that was the very first post here.

>> No.7920298

>>7920290
shut up Jones.

>> No.7920299

>>7920285

That is what I was thinking. I think I will grab some acorns when I am home for thanksgiving.

I will cut the already grown oak from Home Depot in the spring.

In the mean time I will see if I can't find a moderately priced bonsai oak to practice on.

do you know if oaks can be kept inside?

>> No.7920324

>>7920299

It depends on where you put it indoors, and what your house is like compared to the climate outside. Desert, polluted city etc can all affect where the best place to put one should be. Sun exposure is a key thing here, outside or inside a deciduous bonsai should not be in direct sunlight all day long. Because they have an exponentially smaller rootball than they naturally would their leaves are a lot less tolerant of sun and many species' leaves will burn with too strong of sun (Jap. maples especially). This is "burn" as in the leaves dry out and die at the edges and/or fall off in patches.

I don't grow mine indoors, but I also live in a nice temperate climate where these kinds of trees would naturally grow anyway so it's fine. Growing it outdoors (in the correct climate) in an oversize pot would almost certainly give the thing more vigorous growth than growing it indoors, though, so I'd recommend outdoors if doable. You could probably just google the rest of the specifics from here.

>> No.7920334

>>7920324

I have a feeling that living in the middle of Los Angeles I am going to have to be more mindful of where I can put them.

>> No.7920350
File: 329 KB, 650x650, bonsai21103555.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm making this thread more /jp/ish

>> No.7920357
File: 1.08 MB, 1242x888, bonsai18868519.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7921143

>>7920279
>/v/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.7921163

>>7921143
/jp/ and /v/ are like best friends bro we share most of the same userbase

>> No.7921173

>>7921163
Uh, alright. Keep telling yourself that I guess.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action