Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/jp/ - Otaku Culture


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 19 KB, 128x239, Zun000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7387024 No.7387024 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Miscellaneous_illustrations_by_ZUN#zun000.JPG

>This is a picture of "Rei" off on a trip.
>She's always flying in the video games.
>The theme is "Be careful of smoking too much tobacco or opium."
>If you've ever done it before, you should stop now.
>Anyway, I wanted to use bright colors for this...

TL;DR: ZUN says: stop doing drugs.

>> No.7387028

>implying alcohol is not worse

>> No.7387036

>>7387028

It's not better or worse. Both drugs and alcohol are good in moderation, the problem is everyone is a retard and does not know what moderation is. Smoking tobacco is pretty shitty, though. I don't get the appeal.

>> No.7387045

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR5MYMFwdLY

>> No.7387046

>>7387028

That's not the point. He wants alcohol to reign supreme.

>> No.7387047

WINNERS DON'T USE DRUGS

>> No.7387882
File: 96 KB, 640x833, Marisa ZUN 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7387882

Wait, this isn't Marisa?

>> No.7387931
File: 96 KB, 512x732, Zun013.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7387931

Those hands, those fingers!

>> No.7387958

He should seriously let someone else to the character art. He's not a very good artist.

>> No.7387978

>>7387958

But then they wouldn't have charm, they would be souless.

>> No.7387982

>>7387978
Terrible != charming, unless it's by a child.

>> No.7387987

>>7387982
That's just, like, your opinion, man.

>> No.7388011

>>7387982
>Terrible

Why exactly? The drawings leave their intended impression and their pose and movement is quite clear. From an artistic perspective, they're not half bad. So, what's your point?

>> No.7388023
File: 77 KB, 256x256, face05n2_u.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388023

ZUN art lost its charm in TH13.

RIP.

>> No.7388028

Nah, I'd go with ZUN's drawings.

>> No.7388038

>>7388011
The proportions are fucked, and no style isn't an excuse for that when you're trying to use an anim style. What is the intended impression? Disgust? Then I suppose it does it's job. No perspective, no proper foreshortening, again style isn't an excuse for lack of technical skill.

>> No.7388042

>>7388023
yeah i find his art terribly bland after after MoF

>> No.7388047
File: 59 KB, 266x196, cast.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388047

ZUN's art remind me of old arcade flyers, for some reason.

>> No.7388056

A thread about complaning about ZUN's art?

Really?

Surely this is just someone who just learned about Touhou, I hope.

>> No.7388064
File: 165 KB, 640x480, end10b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388064

alphes > TH13 ZUN art (except Yuyuko)

>> No.7388065

>>7388056
It IS awful though, why would more experience with the series change that? I've played most of the games, I'm more of a CAVE fan though.

>> No.7388070
File: 1.90 MB, 1200x1600, ce284ce0d0dc19e2a917a03829fdf55e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388070

>>7388038
>The proportions are fucked
They don't have to be perfect to make sense.
>anim style
Herp derp
>No perspective, no proper foreshortening
Herpa derp derp, again they're not needed.

You sound like a person who has eaten way too much stock, corporate waste of imagination and ink.

>> No.7388075

Complaining about ZUN's art is like complaining to a midget for being short.

>> No.7388080

>>7387982
Art is all in perspective. Just because Person A hates it doesn't make it universally bad. Nor does Person B finding the same drawing charming make it change anything other than their opinion.

The thing is, despite how... unique ZUN's drawing is, his work inspired so much fan related material. So much in fact, that Touhou won a world record.

>> No.7388091

>This time I drew a shrine maiden in the middle of training.

>Even though mountains are usually off-limits to females.
So she's training to ease the desire to go there as a last resort.
>Or just training in general, like a shrine maiden does.
>Hmmm, I'm starting to draw more properly. But anyway, I don't really like
doing anime-style coloring so I used a more hand-drawn method.

Oh, ZUN, you god.

>> No.7388098

>>7388080
Then what is the point of discussing culture at all? You can't claim it's a style as style is what you develop after technique. Even abstract painters very often have a background in traditional art and have very accomplished technique(well the good ones anyway). I think people are just blinded by their worship of the series and ZUN or are just used to it because I can see no other reason anyone would like his shitty art. He could probably get a fan to do the art for him for free.

>> No.7388117

>>7388098
Your idea of art is outdated.

>> No.7388118

>>7388070
So if you didn't know about/weren't a fan of Touhou/ZUN and you found these drawings on some random deviantart you wouldn't think "Oh these are pretty terrible"?

>> No.7388126
File: 57 KB, 128x256, face_ym01hp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388126

WHAT IF... OPINIONS WEREN'T SUBJECTIVE?

>> No.7388135
File: 382 KB, 1000x750, 7863908_p3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388135

>>7388098

Maybe YOU'RE the one blinded by the generic anime type art.

I personally love his art, and it's not just because I like ZUN or his games. His art is unique. There's a nostalgic charm to it of an innocent (or not so innocent?) little girl. As he said it himself, "If I drew like the professionals, they would loose their sense of charm. Besides, don't you find such things adorable?"
I know I do. And the fact that he made a new trend with his type of art proves that it's quality work and other people like it too.Your opinion is wrong.

>> No.7388137

>>7388098
Culture, from what I have been taught, is primarily talked about through the expressions of opinions and feelings. You can be inspired by the simplistic aspects, or learn from the more complex.

ZUN's art style is infact a style. While it may not have everyone praising it, it does have a lot of mimics. Does that constitute the artwork being a style? Maybe, maybe not.

I like ZUN's work in general because he shows devotion towards his series. The fact that Touhou series is the work of one man and receives this much attention is amazing.

>> No.7388139

>>7388098
But we're not discussing culture at all, nor do we want to.

>I think

There's your problem, opinions. Now realize people have different opinions and stop complaining, you sound like someone from /k/.

>> No.7388143

>>7387036
>drugs ... are good in moderation
No. Only as medicine for illnesses/pain relief, and none of these "medicinal marijuana" or medicinal whatever bullshit excuses.

>> No.7388146
File: 66 KB, 1280x720, 1302756934285.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388146

>>7388098

Who says he doesn't have technique?
From what I see, it looks like he puts in quite a bit of effort into it. It's all hand-drawn, too. And the expressive tones he uses with the colors are amazing!
Stop belittling his art so much just because you can't appreciate it.

>> No.7388156
File: 37 KB, 237x317, christblessing.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388156

>>7388118
>deviantart
Too biased against deviantart to judge. But if I saw them stand-alone, yeah, I would appreciate them. There is a lot of art that works even though it doesn't give a "proper" impression of what it depicts.

>> No.7388165

>>7388135
I don't particularily enjoy factory-made-magical-girl anime art style either that is technical proficiency without style or originality. But there should be some modicum of proficiency involved when creating art even if it's simplistic or nonfigurative. I even feel the games would be improved if they WERE made by someone unoriginal but technically proficient as game art generally is function before form. Obviouslt function AND form would be the best option but this is just function nor form.

>> No.7388184

>>7388165
Ok, you said that's what you think, why are you still complaining? Why are you still posting?

>> No.7388187

Why do I give a fuck what zun thinks, the only reason I buy his shit is so that he will keep supplying the fans with characters to bastardize and eroticize.

>> No.7388189

>>7388146

Really? I get the feeling he doesn't works at all in his drawings. Most of the worse mistakes on it could easily be fixed by paying attention or redoing the drawing a bit again and again.

I got more the feeling that he just does a sketch and then paints, no working hard on them. That's why I can't love his art at all, it feels lazy to me, not because it's badly done.

>> No.7388190

1)ZUN's art is accepted by fans?
a) yes
b) no

ans:yes

Goal achieved.

>> No.7388192

On the topic of ZUN art...
What's /jp/s verdict on TH13's art? I think it looks bland and uninspired, especially the playable character art.

>> No.7388193
File: 6 KB, 295x171, brock..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388193

>>7388187

EXACTLY!

>> No.7388197

>>7388192
Seems sterile to me.

>> No.7388199

>>7388165
>I even feel the games would be improved if they WERE made by someone unoriginal but technically proficient as game art generally is function before form.
If that happened, nobody would have noticed the games. I'm not sure if I'm repeating what you said, but ZUN art already is function before form. If ZUN was going for the stereotypical anime style, he would have gone for form before function, meaning he would have chosen something more appealing to the average eye. Yet, this almost looks like placeholder art. However, that is what makes it work, it gains significance through its functionality alone. It doesn't attempt to appeal to you, and yet that's what is so appealing about it.

>> No.7388202

>>7388192

I like Yuyuko's art. The rest of the characters feel under par overall.

>> No.7388203

>>7388184
Because I was under the impression that a board was for discussion and conversation not a hivemind jerking eachother off. If you just plainly state OPINIONS=!FACTS there's no point in discussing anything.

>> No.7388216
File: 98 KB, 384x599, 384px-Zun014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388216

>>7388165

Stop trying to demand to see that generic work in his style. He doesn't like it and he won't do it that way, and that will never change.
You're looking for the wrong things in his style. You need to stop looking at things like shading, foreshortening, perhaps anatomy, lightning and perspective. What you should focus on to appreciate his type of art is color, suggested theme, and originality. As well as other things such as the unique dress and clothes he uses as well as the background, stroke pattern, and shape. There is no 'spotlight' you'd normally find in generic anime, where you look at one aspect and ignore almost everything else.

And there is no "right opinion". Your opinion is no better than mine, because it's still just an opinion. That being said, if you're so closed-minded that you can't even remotely enjoy this fine piece, you don't deserve to.

>> No.7388233
File: 3 KB, 231x160, face01n2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388233

>>7388192
Yuyuko is pretty good.

Also, slightly unrelated, I downloaded the image rips and the facial expressions aren't on the faces, they are completely separate files. The picture I am posting with is Yuyuko.

>> No.7388238
File: 5 KB, 288x128, face_pl03pr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388238

>>7388233
Also here is Youmu.

>> No.7388253

>>7388203
But you can't have a ''true opinion'' on the topic of the quality of someone's art, that's just personal preferences and you can't force yours unto others, that's just being an arrogant cunt.

Look what happened with Seihou, ZUN made someone else do the generic Anime artstyle and it looked like an absolutely monotonous crap.

>> No.7388266

>>7388233
Make your own Futaba reaction faces! Oh god no.

By the way, hasn't the fact that even though ZUN's art may suck, he's a good character designer been accepted by everyone already? You don't get billions of fanart by making characters like Amanita Sanchez, after all. or do you
By the way, I really really like his UFO art, and not on a so bad it's good way.

>> No.7388271
File: 386 KB, 373x373, monkey.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388271

>>7388165
Continuing from >>7388199

Also, you seem to think that something that is "lazy" or "badly drawn" is bad in itself.
Is caveman art bad? What about ancient tribal art? Neither are meant to be elaborate or proportionate, yet both are significant aspects of art. Thing is, both were made to serve a certain purpose, not just FOR THE ARTZ. Function is not negligible in art, in fact it can be one of its main elements or even provide art. ZUNart is loved exactly because it serves the function of being in the games.

>> No.7388313
File: 43 KB, 320x384, 1290790932950.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388313

Why is Stage 5 Nazrin so cute? I swear, this is the best piece of art ZUN has ever done, with or without help.

>> No.7388320

>>7388271
Lazy and badly drawn IS bad in itself, I doubt most historical art that has been preserved and appreciated was just drawn by some random guy scribbling. It probably held high significance and a lot of effort was probably put into it. The historical aspect is also important and therefore it's not really comparable. I don't particularily mind his art within the games as bullets/backgrounds/effects look pretty decent but to say his art is good is a bit silly to me. Function in my mind when it comes to game art is either incredibly simplistic and without ambition or proficiently made but unoriginal then form could be applied and we would get something like Odin Sphere.

>> No.7388353

>>7388320
>Lazy and badly drawn IS bad in itself
That's why I quoted both terms, ZUNart is neither. > I doubt most historical art that has been preserved and appreciated was just drawn by some random guy scribbling. It probably held high significance and a lot of effort was probably put into it.
Just like ZUN puts effort in his own art. His capability might be limited, but the effort is there.
Also
>incredibly simplistic and without ambition
why do you keep thinking these two always have to go together? You really sound like someone who hasn't seen enough non-corporate works.

>> No.7388365
File: 69 KB, 718x718, 312.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388365

>>7388320
You're implying ZUN is lazy and badly drew it, aren't you.
Suppose that he purposely left in those, as you put it, "bad" techniques to serve a purpose and achieve a certain feel to it? I saw him drawing Marisa, and I must say, he's VERY careful as to where and how he puts the strokes.

>> No.7388377

>>7388353
I guess his art could be said to be functional, but then focusing on it in itself is a bit silly. What do you mean by non-corporate? I've been to plenty of art museums in many countries. But I guess I'm not that seasoned when it comes to anime/manga art.

>> No.7388378

>ZUN says: stop doing drugs.

Why is he so moé?

>> No.7388397
File: 109 KB, 440x620, Top050109.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388397

>> No.7388410
File: 79 KB, 141x236, Shou.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388410

>>7388377
>focusing on it in itself is a bit silly
No, it isn't. Nor is it unimportant. If it has any significance, it's worth digging it out. Don't forget that a lot of artistic masterpieces were considered lowbrow before they earned their rightful status.
>I've been to plenty of art museums in many countries.
I'm not questioning that.
>But I guess I'm not that seasoned when it comes to anime/manga art.
Whether we like it or not, anime/manga art, no matter how "corporate" and "non-artsy" it might seem, has become its own school of art. That means a lot of variables of that school are popping up and many more are going to in the future.

>> No.7388428

ZUN's style in UFO was cute. I don't like how much it looks in DS/TD.
But that's just my opinion.

>> No.7388433

>>7388410
I'm not gonna say you're necessarily wrong but I don't think ZUNs art has enough originality or artistic merit to overcome the lack of worksmanship in it. I chiefly enjoy manga styles because some of them contain astounding technical proficiency I'm not questioning that it has potential as a legitimate art form, even more so than western comic-book styles.
See, one can have differing opinions and discuss them without necessarily conceding one's view or it degenerating into namecalling.

>> No.7388435

ZUN makes touhou for his own amusement.

He likes making the art in his games, why would anyone want him to stop?

>> No.7388438

>>7388435
because really, all touhou is to ZUN is a hobby

if he were banking off of the series he'd have quit his day job by now

>> No.7388449

>>7388438

I'm sure every major game company has already been up his ass to buy the rights from him.

I don't see him selling out any time soon, do you?

>> No.7388483
File: 153 KB, 256x512, 1250720364096.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388483

>>7388433


I see what you're trying to say. Still, I think that the different style he has developed is compensating for that very "lack of worksmanship", as you call it, in the generic anime style. Essentially, the whole style is driven by that limited technical proficiency or lack thereof. I think that just the fact that he has shifted from the flow, yet the turn he has taken still works (that is, people still like it) adds a lot to it. And I'm sure if you give it some time, you'll see what I'm getting at. This is kind of a harsh beauty, you really have to approach it differently to appreciate it.

>> No.7388513

>>7388449

Never. He's not even remotely interested in it.
I respect how he treats it.

>> No.7388650

I like ZUNs art in general. His works are in some way helping me to stay in good mood.

>> No.7388701

>>7388203
>a board was for discussion and conversation not a hivemind jerking eachother off

You were correct, that's why people are discussing with you, instead of jerking you off. Problem?

>> No.7388704
File: 186 KB, 495x700, tumblr_kp49f7zK0i1qzma4ho1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7388704

I'll take whatever drugs I want, fuck you ZUN.
Smoking makes you cool, and smoking makes you rule.

>> No.7388727

Is there not a remote chance that ZUN was just joking a bit?

>> No.7388934

Alrighty then. How about this. Someone who thinks ZUN should use someone else's art for the games, give me some that is easily renderable (or already uses a transparent background). I will toss that shit in the game once we get a consensus on what art to use.

Subterranean Animism. Go.

>> No.7389457
File: 1.00 MB, 512x512, Œˆ.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7389457

>>7388934

>> No.7389466

>>7389457

>> No.7389475

>>7389466
Er, not transparent.

>> No.7389481

whoever drew Immaterial and missing power should be beheaded

>> No.7389679

>>7388098
>I think people are just blinded by their worship of the series and ZUN
I get this same feeling.

>>7388187
>Why do I give a fuck what zun thinks, the only reason I buy his shit is so that he will keep supplying the fans with characters to bastardize and eroticize.
And this.

>> No.7389692

you fags sound like autists from da

>> No.7389703

Stupidest fucking thread on /jp/.

>> No.7389704

I can't believe you let this idiot clown troll you so long, /jp/.
>>7387958

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action