[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 23 KB, 500x500, 1243992972924.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7223342 No.7223342 [Reply] [Original]

"It's a funny thing, the human mind. 3 pounds of wetware continuously feeding whatever the fuck is the 'self' an idea of reality"
"Your point being?"
"We can overwrite that, create a new shared reality and even let you guide it"
"A dream then? A fucking shared dream... Are you trying to sell me one of your hippie amazonic drugs again?"
"Not at all, those were nothing but steps towards something greater. What I have now. What I want you to be a part of."

Lean back on my seat, taking in that last reply. Stretching my sore limbs I realize I've been discussing this proposal for hours now. It's dark out and the only light source in this pathetically small bedroom is this old monitor. A new post comes in. "A new, shared reality. Whatever you want it to be. Imagine the possibilities..."
My fingers hover over the keyboard as I try to think of an answer. Trying to express that undefinable thing sitting in my stomach that keeps me from taking on his offer, selling my few possessions and take the next flight over to some warehouse with the rest of the Beta test team.

Another post comes in before I have a chance to type that I'm afraid of dying.
"Imagine Gensokyo."

I take a last look around the room. No memories, nothing personal. It won't be missed.
"I'll be there."

>> No.7223344

||
  Λ||Λ
 ( / ⌒ヽ
  | |   |
  ∪ 亅|
   | | |
   ∪∪
    :
    :

‐ニ三ニ‐

>> No.7223367
File: 104 KB, 368x434, 1239900622107.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I go right through customs and arrivals. It doesn't feel real, perhaps from a combination of 13 hours of travel and trying to get some sleep on a loud, vibrating tube of steel hurtling through the air.
Doors open and I step out into the dry, hot air of natural climate. I will never get used to it, whatever is outside the comfortable bubbles of air conditioned rooms. It doesn't take long to get a cab, pass the driver a card with my final address scribbled on it and the promise of american currency as payment. Minimum interaction, just perfect.

As I climb into the backseat, I entertain the idea of being a suave gentleman of the world. Nothing but a carry-on, few words, straight to the point. It could be cool to be that sort of guy that just makes conversation with the cabbie, strikes easy friends, and gets all sorts of information you can't find on guides or online. The guy that gets his data straight from the source.

I grin to myself before realizing I must look like a weirdo tourist. Slump back on my seat, try to catch up on my sleep. Only a few hours to go before I go to a nice, comfortable bed and sleep the rest of my natural life away.

>> No.7223382

>>7223367
       /^ヾo
      ノ:;☆_;;.ヽ
     (´・∀・`)  Good night
     r'⌒と 、j ミ ヽ
    ノ ,.ィ'  `ヽ. /
  /       i!/
 (_,.         //
く.,_`^''ー-、_,,..ノ /
   `~`''ー--‐'

>> No.7223389
File: 77 KB, 453x435, 1289951003222.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Go On...

>> No.7223449

The image I had is completely broken. The clean, white surfaces. Goose-down pillows, a magnificent bed, and a team of nurses doing their best to keep my body.
Just a dozen cots on a badly illuminated warehouse. I realize now I didn't sign up for beta testing, this is pre-alpha at best. Is there any designation before Alpha? Because pre-alpha sounds plain wrong.
"I know is not much, but trust me, you won't care soon enough". A voice interrupts my worthless musings. Turning towards it, I find the second source of disappointment for the day.
"You look nothing like I imagined", I reply to the thin man that looks like he needed a haircut 6 months back and now just gave up on the idea.
"What were you expecting? hipster geek chic?" He scuffs. The arrogance is a bit warming, closer to our interactions so far.

I get the tour of the place. It all plays out as I silently nod through it, a familiar haze of unreal covering the whole thing. I realize I won't remember any of it. I don't really care anyway.

"So, let's go for a test ride". He snaps me back into the world. "...You were drifting, right?"
I can't really answer. I want to apologize for not paying attention, or say that I just want to jump into it, now.
"Don't worry, we'll solve that right now". He pats down an old pillow on the closest cot, gesturing me to lay on it and hope for the best.

Nothing to lose, whatever happens happens, right? I lay back and close my eyes. Machines whirr into existence, hissing of gases flowing through unseen tubes.

>> No.7223458
File: 877 KB, 2400x1200, 1242315061635.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I open my eyes. Sunlight leaking through the tree cover of an ancient forest. I can smell the moss all over the place, bark peeling off some places. Leaves shifting under my bare feet. Wiggle my toes, it feels better than real. As if I had been dreaming until just now.

Take a hesitant step. Nothing wrong, everything in my body is responding to what I want it to do. I breathe in the humid air. Fresh, filling my lungs. Everything starts to overwhelm my senses, the hyperreality of it all, it's almost sickening.

I notice the forest border just bit away. I start to walk towards it, which quickly becomes a stride as I realize what might be there. I find myself running through the forest into the blinding light of a warm spring day.
Shielding my eyes, I look around. And there it is. An old shrine that requires donations. A mountain far away where gods live. I think I can even smell the cold water from the lake.

I am home. I am finally alive.

>> No.7223467

γ'フ
           イ ('i, ,/            (ヽ
          ( 'i,`ミ' ヽ i            ヽ`)'フ
        (\ヽ,,_ ` ':.ヽ             )γ),ノ)
        ヾ' ..,,    '; 'l,            ,/ .:' ノ'
           ゝ- .,,,   .: i!         ノ' ,:' ''",フ
       ,,-'', ',,,..    .:' /'       ''",,::'   "つ
         `ツ、,,ー- .:' (,,,,,/⌒ヽγ´ ''"ヾ、  彡'
          ''-彡,,  ':,  .( ^ω^). ヽ、,,_,,ノ'⌒  J-PHOENIX!!!
            ,彡'   |    / ' ゙" '-=-'"
            ノ., "シ ( ヽノ   ,,_,,,ミ^ヾ
              "''ツ' ノ>ノ ヽ''ヽ)
                レレ

>> No.7223486
File: 8 KB, 206x245, Teach Me..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7223467
Teach me your ASCIILLs!

>> No.7223487
File: 59 KB, 480x640, 1239451674001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry about the rambling pace, the half baked ideas and unsatisfying excuse of a conclusion.
Just wanted to test out if I could still get something out, figured real time would be pressure enough.

Once again, sorry for everything, hope it isn't a bother.

>> No.7223496

┌────────────┐
            |            |
            |Thread over |
            |            |
            └─────┰──────┘
            <l ̄`丶、   ┃
          ___`>' ´ ̄`t、 ┃
        <ヽ   '     fj  ・ Y(,)
  | ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄> ` ̄7  ,.-、  マ ノ/
  L -‐フ /    ,ム  `ー′ イ/
   / /    /    、 \   /
  /  {___,ム    `ー'゙  /
  〈       ミ ∧      _, イ
   ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ヽ Y´ ̄ヽ,,ノ
            `''′

>> No.7223501

>>7223487
It's not a bother as long as you go out with me.

>> No.7223509

>>7223487

It's okay. As long as you don't break into overly dramatic monologue.

>> No.7223511

>>7223487

I thought that you were just altering an existing work. Please post the rest if you write it.

>> No.7223512

>>7223487
Ah, that's the end? I was patiently awaiting more. Oh well

>> No.7223514

>              ∧∧
>             ( ゚∀゚) ~Fuck this thread.
>             ⊂  つ
>             (つ ノ
>              (ノ
>     \      ☆
>             |     ☆
>          (⌒ ⌒ヽ   /
>    \  (´⌒  ⌒  ⌒ヾ   /
>      (’⌒ ; ⌒   ::⌒  )
>     (´     )     ::: ) /
>  ☆─ (´⌒;:    ::⌒`) :;  )
>     (⌒::   ::     ::⌒ )

>> No.7223522

>>7223487

What are you apologizing for? This is a piece of art!

>> No.7223525

>>7223501
>>7223509
>>7223511
>>7223512
>>7223522
     ∧_∧
    ( ´・ω・`)     ∧_∧
    /     \   (´Д` ) What the fuck is
.__| |    .| |_ /      ヽ this guy talking about
||\  ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄   / .|   | |
||\..∧_∧    (⌒\|__./ ./
||.  (    )     ~\_____ノ|   ∧_∧
  /   ヽ  Shut up man.  \|   ( ´_ゝ`) Drunken bastard
  |     ヽ           \/     ヽ.
  |    |ヽ、二⌒)        / .|   | |
  .|    ヽ \∧_∧    (⌒\|__./ /

Seriously now. All the shit this guy is writing sucks.

>> No.7223532

>>7223487

An idea, if I may. You have a dozen cots, thus you have the possibility of a dozen personal stories.

Interested in knowing more about the "doctor". Why is he researching this? What's his profit? What is the eventual fate of the person / people he sends to their dream world?

>> No.7223539

>>>http://www.fanfiction.net/
>>>pooshlmer
>>>shrinemaiden

>> No.7223550

Hmm reading about gensokyo is so relaxing, almost trippy.
Maybe that's why tolkien liked describing the plains of the middle earth so much.

Thanks for the thread, op, and nevermind the haters.

>> No.7223554

Someone discovered /sjis/ today.

>> No.7223555

>>7223550
Anonymous, why are you such an idiot? You jaundiced jumped up, vercordiously pusillanimous piffle. Your vilesome existence nauseates me beyond compare. It is politically correct when discussing your faults to use certain words to denote your humanness above your disability. But in your case, there is nothing human. You are just challenged, you are just different. Given a choice of stepping in something nasty on the sidewalk, or bidding you good morning, I would happily choose the former. Single-handedly, you have wrenched all meaning out of life. Congratulations. As I write this I try vainly to think of something, anything, which redeems in some small way your utterly pointless existence. The only thing that comes to mind is that you have taught me hate. Pure, unmitigated hate. I have had fantasies about attacking you with a machete, but I dare not. I once cut up a starfish, which was so neurologically simple that each piece grew into a clone of the original. Your coleopteron brain no doubt shares certain appalling similarities with such creatures. You, misguided as you are, might be asking yourself what you have done to deserve such a letter as this. Your misdeeds and villainous vampings can be described in just two words: you exist. And believe me, there is no reason on earth why you should. How do you justify to yourself waking up each morning and ruining yet another day? If everything in this world has some purpose, some grand plan behind its existence, then yours surely is to show everything else, whether it be a slops bucket in a fried chicken stand, or the gunk behind the fridge, how fortunate it is not to be you. I have tried, but clearly, I have failed. I must stand firm to the realisation that mere words cannot express my utmost and profound contempt and loathing for your person, your being and your existence. You are a blight against nature.

>> No.7223557

Nice. Now write more.

>> No.7223561

>>7223539
You forgot
http://www.touhou-project.com

Touhou fanfiction is best fanfiction

>> No.7223568

>>7223532
I was toying with the idea of a room full of /jp/ers, all being shy and not really talking to each other. Looking at the floor, waiting for the social niceties to pass. Maybe only discussing lively when trying to collaborate on the dream setting. Only way to relate being through their personal ideas of what gensokyo should be.

About the doctor, I dunno, I had this idea of being just a wetware hacker. Personal computing started with people cobbling together shit, using new technology and just exploring what they could do with it. So I figure that with better access to tech and knowledge of the human brain, it wouldn't be weird for a guy to see what he can do, and requesting guinea pigs online.

Maybe the image of an opium den in victorian times, only with guys that wear tshirts and jeans.

Like I said, halfbaked.

>> No.7223569

>>7223487
There's no need to be so apologetic, yeesh.

I feel like the mechanisms could be described a bit more, though I suppose that would also involve the narrator being a bit more focused and seeing things with clarity rather than a bleary haze of jet-lag. Also a bit curious as to whether or not the reformed reality results in the narrator becoming a suave gentleman or if the effects extend exclusively to the world around them. Ah well, perhaps another day. Dialogue was pretty good, I liked both the initial exchange and the one between them later on.

>I take a last look around the room. No memories, nothing personal. It won't be missed.
Also, this seems pretty familiar. I have a few photo albums, but there's a huge photographic abyss after 2000, I guess the advent of digital documentation supplanted tactile things like that.

>> No.7223606

What the fuck is with all the shitty fanfiction and CYOA threads all over /jp/ lately?

>> No.7223652

>>7223606
Would you fuck Rika if she were an anteater?

>> No.7223660

>>7223652
No, but a blowjob is a different matter.

>> No.7223684

Shut up AoC

>> No.7223688

>>7223652
Yes

>> No.7224163

Oh no.
It's even worse in the cold light of morning.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action