[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 351 KB, 800x400, touhoumoonbanner.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7174602 No.7174602 [Reply] [Original]

Wow what the new thread 404'd? ANOTHER new thread I guess.

I have four programmers. One is about to graduate(about a month and a half) with a bachelor's in Computer Science, another two are friends of mine who I know know their shit, and the other is an interested /jp/er.

I have an interested artist, whose work I quite like.

I have ONE PERSON interested in character sprite work that I am still in discussions with. If you are interested, please do not hesitate to send me an email or reply to this thread.

I have two people interested in doing music. I've received samples from both of them, and they will be working together on this project.

I have two people interested in writing, I've received samples from both of them and they've already started on dialogue. Both are quite good, I think.

I think that's it for team members...

>> No.7174607

Someone posting in the wrong thread!

>> No.7174613

Most of the features and ideas I and people on /jp/ have had and discussed are not set in stone yet, so feel free to say you hate things.

1. The game is set to be built from the ground up using C++, using OpenGL as the display engine and compiling for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

2. The game will include a small set of Touhou characters to begin with, but will include others after the game has at least reached a beta version.

3. The player will be able to choose between 2 characters: a generic male and a generic female character that they can name.

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvX_oNaOWd8 This is the style I'm looking for, for the game world. Making it 3D or shit like that isn't really important to have fun with this, I think. Feel free to disagree, but it'll take a bit of work to change my mind. This seems like the most efficient way to do this.

5. I have lots of ideas from /jp/ers, but I will save those for later after I've thrown them at the lead programmer and my harvest moon expert(yeah I called him a harvest moon expert, deal w/ it).

6. We are going to build this from the ground up, no sprite swaps from a previous Harvest Moon game.

7. Minoriko Aki will be the Harvest Goddess, Yukari will be the Witch Princess.

>> No.7174616

Because it's /v/ shit just like cosmic break, and that Korean mmo.

>> No.7174631

>>7174616
But it's great shit so whatever.
Let's break the rules

>> No.7174640

Site is here: http://www.touhoumoon.net

IRC is here: /server irc.foonetic.net
/join TouhouMoon

The characters that are so far able to be married are the entire cast of EoSD, Nazrin, Reisen, and Shikieiki. Rinnosuke will run the general store. Nazrin sells animals and animal medicine and such. Reisen is the doctor character until we get to Eirin. Nitori will upgrade tools. Suika will do house upgrades. Yuuka will sell seeds. Reimu will be the mayor-type character.

I think that's all.

>> No.7174644

>>7174616
I'm more inclined to believe that it has something to do with 3 whole pages being missing from /jp/? Or is that normal and I just never noticed it before?

I mean we had another thread that lasted like four days and reached the bump limit without anything happening, and it was kept bumped pretty frequently.

>> No.7174646

>>7174640
>Reisen is the doctor character until we get to Eirin
suppository jokes ahoy!

>> No.7174648

>>7170087

Ye olde thread.

>> No.7174663

>>7174644
>is that normal and I just never noticed it before?

Pretty much.

This time it was some spam, though, rather than Meido showing up once a day as usual.

>> No.7174669

>>7174663
Yeah, that's what I figured.

In any case, if anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

>> No.7174844

bump.

>> No.7174860

Alright /jp/, here's something you can help with. I'm picking out touhou songs for the music guys to work with for the game. I've already picked out seasonal themes and a main menu theme, but what I think we need now is a wedding theme and a festival theme. Maybe a few festival themes, specific to the season perhaps?

If I've missed anything that you think is important enough to have it's own theme, throw that out too.

Thanks!

>> No.7174891

I guess my biggest question is how are you going to handle the farming aspect?

The classic style of plant, water once per day and bingo you get your crops after x days, or will you add in the newer features such as creating seeds from the crops, being able to water 2x a day or completely variable growing conditions like in Sunshine Islands?
Doesn't matter too much in the end, but it does change how much emphasis you need to have in that area versus say, foraging and how much time you have to run around talking to people and not having to bust your ass earning cash.

Overall feel of the game. Traditional Harvest Moon or leaning towards Rune Factory?

Another question is goal. When does the game end, if it ends? After x years, completing a set list of goals or totally open ended?

>> No.7174923

>>7174891
OK, all of these answers are SUBJECT TO CHANGE, first.

I like a mix of just watering them once a day, and then you get your crops x days later and being able to get seeds from said plants(losing the crop itself I think?) to make more of the same plant that is worth more when you sell it. There'll also be cooking and other such things, if that matters to you.

For the first incarnation, it's leaning more toward traditional harvest moon. If we get a working game out of that, I want to add some elements from Rune Factory, like dungeons.

Haven't really come up with a true-blue-the-game-ends-here goal yet. I could end it when you get married, I could think of some sort of barebones plot that requires you to do certain things(like harvest moon ds where you had to save the harvest sprites/harvest goddess through work). It could also be open-ended. To be honest I'm leaning more towards open-ended. I feel like there needs to be some obstacle you need to overcome before you can go and get married though, what do you think?

>> No.7174935

>>7174891
Also, forgot to add this...most of the gameplay decisions like that are going to be worked out over this weekend. That is my job for today and tomorrow.

>> No.7174939

>>7174923
keep it open ended

>> No.7174977

>>7174923
Watering once + being able to sacrifice for better seeds sounds like a nice idea. Leaves the door open to de-emphasise in favour of more people interaction, which is always good in my books. (BTW: Twin Villages lets you build irrigation ditches to speed up the monotony of watering) In any case, decent design should let you mix and match whatever 'rule set' you end up using so I guess it'll come down to how you want it to play.

I'm thinking more of a hybrid type of plot. There is an objective that is time limited, but after that it moves towards an open end. I really disliked the original Harvest Moon where the game ended after 2.5 years, though with FoMT, the objective-less sand box after the rush to get established and get married before they get hitched with a rival is a little dull. The problem with that is, what can you do to make an open end less about min/maxing everything?

As for overcoming obstacles before getting married, I'm all for that.

Oh yes, totally forgot... Fatigue/Exhaustion. What are you going to go for in terms of that important mechanic? And needing to eat (can't remember which game first introduced needing to eat every day to stay healthy) yes/no?

>> No.7174983

>>7174977
And when I say time limited objective, I'm thinking BAD END type of failure ala the original HM's bad end. Game Over at that point if you fail.

>> No.7175001

>>7174977
>>7174983
I really like the hybrid plot idea.

As for fatigue/exhaustion/needing to eat, I do not have anything I can tell you about that right now. That's one of the things that I need to figure out over the next two days.

>> No.7175073

>>7175001
Yeap, no worries on the fatigue/exhaustion bit. Just making sure that it's in the picture since that is pretty much the major limiter on what can be done per day.

>> No.7175294

I hope this doesn't end up like the hundreds of other /jp/ projects that were tossed aside and never completed.

I would really like to play this.

>> No.7175367

>>7174602
I really like the picture you've included, if that is indeed a sample by the artist you're working with.

>> No.7175459

How faithful will the writers be to canon Touhou personalities? Granted, you can't please everyone when trying to give a personality to a Touhou, but at least sticking to what is already eluded to in the games and few manga would a defense against accusations of getting a Touhou's personality 'wrong'.

>>7175294
I agree, this would be fun to play.
And because of that, I'm 80% certain it will die before the year ends.

>> No.7175466

>>7175459
I promise you, we are doing our very best to give them personalities that fit them.

>> No.7175473

>>7174602

You're awesome. I know some people but we never got around to working on any games

>> No.7175477

>>7175466
You say they're marriable, so is there some sort of route that deepens their personality, or is it more Harvest Moon-esque 'give a gift each day'?

>> No.7175496

>>7175477
Both. There will be the normal sorts of events between characters deepening their relationships with other characters, and heart events, which should give more insight into their personality and relationship with you.

>> No.7175499

>>7175496
You're going to allow dynamic relationships between NPCs? To what purpose?

>> No.7175500

>>7175496
Giving them gifts each day is also the way to increase heart and friendship levels, enabling you to see certain events. That's what I meant by both.

>> No.7175502

>>7175459
I've been looking at Touhou Wiki for the canon personalities as much as possible.

>> No.7175503

>>7175499
Ah, never mind, I read that wrong.

>> No.7175507

>>7175502
Why not just replay the games? Or read what ZUN has written/approved of as canon?

>> No.7175525 [DELETED] 

>>7175507
I have been doing that as well. Going through PMiSS right now to see how each character speaks and what their talking pattern is like.

>> No.7175546

>>7175507
I have been doing that as well. I have been reading Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red for how each character talks to someone else.

>> No.7175564

>>7175502
>>7175546

Don't forget to take notes. Don't just keep it mental.

I mean it. Open notepad right now, type down "Remilia: laid back and sarcastic, likes subtle vampire jokes" or whatever the fuck.

>> No.7175579

Speaking of writing, if there's anyone interested, we could use one or two more people for the writing team. If you're interested, send me an email.

I'll also need a sample from you. Basically what I'm looking for in this sample is just a script of the main character's first meeting with any girl you choose. Just pick your favorite. If you have any questions about THAT, please email them to me and I'll try to explain what I'm looking for a bit better.

The player character is a mostly silent protagonist. He/she can show emotion and do things like nod and shake their head, but they will not actually talk. Any answers to questions should be implied("Would you like some medicine? No...? Well alright then.").

>> No.7175585

>>7175564
I have been. So far I made a folder for each character that is currently in the game that holds notes, what I have worked on, what the other writer has worked on, and soon to be reference materials.

>> No.7175753

>>7175579

You mean like Gordon Freeman?

>> No.7175814

>>7175753
No, Gordon Freeman is actually literally completely silent. More like Link in Ocarina of Time(when Zelda asks your name, she repeats it, implying that you answered the question), or maybe Isaac Clarke in Dead Space 1(he's silent, but he shows some emotion)

>> No.7175882

Sounds like you need an SVN manager. Also, an editor to serve as an intermediary between the two writers. If you really want to get people involved, a plot synopsis would be nice. We all have played Harvest Moon (big assumption), but it would be nice to know what you plan to do the same and what you plan to do differently. If it's just a Harvest Moon game with Touhou characters, then it's not really new enough to justify. Having danmaku elements involved in some way, even if it's just how you water the crops or something, would fit the setting.

Not really outlining anything, just making project suggestions.

It sounds like you have the people, but you haven't really clearly defined what the game is going to be. Instead of writing dialogue and everything, you should be having a brainstorming session to define the end game. Never start a project without a definable end game product in mind, even if you end up modifying it along the way.

Fly-by-night design always ends in dead projects if teams are involved. A single person (like ZUN) can do whatever the fuck he wants to, how he wants to. When you have timetables, scheduling, and multiple people doing similar work together, if you don't even have the end product in sight, you're cluster fucked. Things like "It might be like Rune Factory, I don't know.", don't suggest the cohesion necessary to do this.

I do wish you luck.

>> No.7175904

>>7175814
No, Gordon says stuff. youtube.com/watch?v=6k7-UHkaHGI
>>7175882
SVN = good if you can figure out how the hell it works
once you do that it is useful
any serious project needs an SVN, CVS, Mercurial, or other repository.

>> No.7175935

>>7175904
If you don't have version management, you'll get nowhere. Even companies that don't use electronic version management (I can't think of one I've seen that doesn't have this, now) have some sort of paper version, or they all rely on one guy to do everything, which is normally a shitty result.

>> No.7175951

Are you guys using openGL or directX for this?

>> No.7175959

>>7175882
This is quite true. You need focus and direction to get things accomplished.

>> No.7176093

>>7175904
i like how you forgot the non-shitty version control (hint: it starts with a g)

>>7175951
game maker

>> No.7176104

>>7176093
>game maker
looooooooooool

>> No.7176112

>>7176093
>game maker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY

>> No.7176122

>>7176093
>game maker

All my expectations are dead now.

>> No.7176152

>>7176093
>>7176104
>>7176112
>>7176122
>1. The game is set to be built from the ground up using C++, using OpenGL as the display engine and compiling for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

You fucking people

>> No.7176162

>>7176152
I read the design specs. It was just a good joke.

>> No.7176399

>>7176122
I don't think they're going to make anything that couldn't have been done in Game Maker.

>> No.7176586

>>7175882
That's actually really helpful. Thank you for the suggestions. I'm serving as the intermediary between the writers for now, it's working out well at the moment. I'm working out details for exactly what the game is going to be over this weekend, I should have that ready to be discussed on Monday. Once we, as a team, make a decision on those things, I'll try to give you guys a synopsis.

>>7175935
That is first and foremost in my mind right now, actually.

>>7176152
Thanks.

>>7175904
No. Also, a lot of the problem is with the hosting we have right now, a lot of stuff like that, we can't use. We're trying to work around it right now.

>> No.7176598

I have nothing to add and I don't even like touhou but I just want to wish you good luck! Always great seeing original content coming from /jp/.

>> No.7176720

>>7175579
>>7174640
So the protagonist isn't a Touhou? I'm kinda disappointed, I would have preferred playing a Touhou character. Like, one of the Aki sisters with the other sister as a support/instruction/rival character.

I'm also debating on whether or not to give it a go at applying as a writer. I'm fairly confident with my writing skills but I've never worked with anything like this.

>> No.7176791

>>7176720
Just script style writing. Just write as if this was a play or a movie.

>> No.7176799

>We need artists
Every /jp/ project ever.

>> No.7176849

>>7176799
We HAVE artists in every position that I can think of that needs an artist, we could just use more.

>> No.7176860 [DELETED] 

Damn I loved Harvest Moon when I was young, best of luck to this project. Do you think you'll have every Touhou as a romance option save the few storyline ones, or is it going to be a select few?

>> No.7176867

Could I be of any use? Probably not, but...

I am a music producer and documentary camera man, so I know tons and tons about audio/video mixing, producing & editing.

>> No.7176869

>>7176849
Mind you, the biggest problem isn't gathering the artists, but keeping them at it more than one week. No pay and no IRL-involvement means pretty much certain death for the project.

>> No.7176876

>>7176867
I'm not sure if I can or not, I'd have to talk to the guy I've put in charge of music. Send me an email, though, so I can contact you once I have.

>> No.7176885

>>7176791
Hurp, I sent them a mail. I'm kind of autistic or something I guess, but I want more specific examples of what will be excepted of me a member of the crew. I hope I'm not coming off as too stiff... Well, yeah, I tend to, I guess. I'm prepared to work hard? so please have me crew if you think my abilities are good enough.

>> No.7176889

>>7176885
Who did you send the mail to...? I didn't receive anything. Or at least I haven't yet.

>> No.7176899

>>7176889
The email linked on the website front page. I recall there being a (different?) email mentioned in previous threads but I just went with the one on the website assuming it was the updated/most recent one. If not I could just forward the mail to whatever address.

>> No.7176908

>>7176899
I've been posting with an email in the email field. You sent an email to one of the programmers.

>> No.7176927

>>7176908
Okay. The email was listed as the contact email on the website, so I just went with it. Anyway, forwarding message now.

Enjoy, etc

>> No.7177146

>>7176860
This greatly interests me given how Yuuka and Yukari are expected to be part of the cast, but they aren't stated as possible love interests.

Other than that, if you are either thinking of creating something like Harvest Moon, Rune Factory or a hybrid of sorts with danmaku elements, I wish you and the team the best of lucks.

>> No.7177176

>>7177146
I dunno how I missed both of these questions. Yukari and Yuuka will not be available to marry in the first release. They will be in the game in their respective game roles(witch princess and seed shop owner).

Once we have a working game, we plan to release the rest of the characters one game at a time, along with making characters that we've already put in that previously were not available, available.

>> No.7177273

The problem with having multiple artists is having multiple levels of talent, style, and pacing. Trying to coordinate artists is like trying to herd cats hopped up on crystal meth. Even if you have some emotionally stable artists (which is a rarity), you're going to have to define the senior artist (the one setting the style and doing the portrait art, especially), sprite artists, and grunt artists (window designs, etc.) It is usually difficult to get a gaggle of artists to acknowledge who is the superior talent amongst them, if only for the project at hand and its requirements, much less get them to work at the same pace and deliver.

When you work for a company, you subordinate or get fired. When you're doing it for free, you get pissy when something doesn't go your way, do as much as you can to break up everyone's coordination and destroy the team, and then storm out with all your toys.

Having more than one artist can often times be detrimental. Make sure your artists are assigned specific tasks, can work together, and aren't recurring drama queens.

>> No.7178124

Just a little bump.

So far character wise we are sticking as close as possible to their canon personality. Some characters, such as Koakuma and Daiyousei, are hard to write for that reason.

Other than that, I cannot personally say much else when it comes to writing.

>> No.7178582

>>7176093
>game maker

I died a little inside. Hopefully you can still make something amazing with it though.

>> No.7178983

>>7178582
I have to fully agree with this man.

>> No.7178992

>>7178582
Can't tell if you're trolling or just being stupid. They've already said that they're coding the engine from the ground up using C++, compiling for Win, Mac and Linux using OpenGL for the graphics API.

>> No.7179019

>>7175882
>>7177273

White Ren, have you performed in or closely followed many group projects? You're awfully insightful.

>> No.7179028

Kind of amusing how people somehow home on to the word 'gamemaker' while seemingly actively avoiding all of the other words that detail how the game will be made.

>> No.7179170

Cool project bro

We'll see if takes as long as Katawa Shoujo did

>> No.7179188

>>7179028
That just shows how most of /jp/ is completely retarded.

>> No.7179425

bump for interest!

>> No.7179493

>>7179019
I'm everywhere.

>> No.7179550
File: 148 KB, 400x427, 1301168481940.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7179493

>> No.7179689

Bump.

Also a little update, another person contacted me about working with sprites, and we've added a writer to the team. If you're interested in sprite work, please email me!

>> No.7179710
File: 3 KB, 120x156, reisen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you guys like this one

>> No.7179722

>>7179710
Don't use black for outlines.

>> No.7179748

>>7179710

Reisen city Ransom?

>> No.7180016
File: 2 KB, 102x153, Generic male.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Generic male (post thoughts)

>> No.7180036

>>7179710
I have to say, this looks pretty horrible.
It looks fat, male and has 4 ears or a very weird looking head.

>> No.7180051

and it's too small

20 pixel sprites were okay when the games used resolutions like 320x240

We really should aim for something higher

>> No.7180055

>>7180016
I thought there are only asians in gensokyo.
But other than that, it's fine. You can see that it's human and male, and that's all you need from a generic male.

>> No.7180056

Instead of a generic male and female, you should have a small selection of female sprites with different kinds of mimi modos.

>> No.7180066

>>7180016
Terrible. Start from scratch, and I'm serious and try to get nicer design for him.

>> No.7180068

use PatchCon sprites.

>> No.7180071

>>7180036
It definitely needs touched up, I already told him this.

>> No.7180080

guess i kinda went a lil to farm boy with this i do agree but you think harvest moon farming ima work on it a lil more try and make it look better but for the most part all iv shown you are rough drafts

>> No.7180096

Work at it.

Smoother curves, little details.

>> No.7180127

>>7180068
Or at least use them as reference.

>> No.7180136
File: 273 KB, 1000x2562, units.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Patchcon sprites

>> No.7180168
File: 3 KB, 100x148, Generic male.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

worked on it a little bit more (more feedback pls)

>> No.7180174

So it's Harvest Moon in Touhou style? I'm...Interested. Although i'd like to say you should probably aim for a more Rune Factory feel,but that shit would probably double the programmers and Writers workload so eh.

My nonsense aside though,you should tottally make this games pet choices a variety of Yukkuri.

>> No.7180182
File: 13 KB, 268x136, noudie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7180174
>you should tottally make this games pet choices a variety of Yukkuri.
No

>> No.7180186

>>7180168

Extremely generic. Rather plain. A more unique style might make it easier on the eyes.

The clothes he has on look strangely like a military uniform.

Such tiny sprites might make it hard to convey emotions (in Harvest Moon particularly, "running out of stamina" and the like). Don't forget that it will be a farmer, try to think how the sprite might look swinging an axe or picking a turnip.

(Yes, rough draft and all, but this is still in the mentally-setting-the-style stage.)

I honestly don't care much if it works.

>> No.7180189

>>7180168
He definetly needs a hat,and maybe glasses.

>> No.7180192

asking for feedback for reasons =)

>> No.7180195

>>7180174
see
>>7180182

>> No.7180210

>>7180174
Take that Yukkuri crap from my Touhou Moon!

>> No.7180212 [DELETED] 

>>7180192
Well personally I think the sprites are okay.....if you are aiming for a Gameboyfat game.

How about using the fomt sprites as reference?I also thought that they are adorable and they don't look that hard to make.
Then again I'm a complete noob when it comes to things like this, so I'm sorry if I'm asking for the impossible right now

>> No.7180216

>>7180168
Seriously need to think about using bigger sprites. That's what? 16*24?

Not only would using a larger sprite allow for more detail, but it lets those details not be confused with something else. Like 7180186 said, those clothes look like a military uniform.

>> No.7180218

>>7180192
Well personally I think the sprites are okay.....if you are aiming for a Gameboyfat game.

How about using the fomt sprites as reference?I always thought that they are adorable and they don't look that hard to make.
Then again I'm a complete noob when it comes to things like this, so I'm sorry if I'm asking for the impossible right now

>> No.7180231

id like to find bigger sprites but having some trouble if i can find any ill let you know and if u find any pls let me know

>> No.7180232

>>7180168
Can't you make it bigger?

>> No.7180235

>>7180231
see
>>7180136

>> No.7180238

>>7180231
You can use the already posted PatchCon sprites as a reference.

>> No.7180245

ill give it a go i guess

>> No.7180247
File: 141 KB, 600x500, 3db00657759575a19d355d82d9254be04b575688.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here, ive found a concept art for touhou moon.

>> No.7180249
File: 17 KB, 512x512, ALICE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've got some from MariAri as well. They're bigger, but don't have many directions or frames.

>> No.7180252
File: 36 KB, 512x1024, MARISA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7180253
File: 17 KB, 1024x256, MYONSET.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7180254
File: 9 KB, 1024x128, UDONSET.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Last of them worth uploading.

>> No.7180256

I'm interested in making sprites, however I've no past experience whatsoever in doing them. Is there some guide or program I can check out so I may start contributing to this?

>> No.7180280

>>7180256

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/default.htm

You should flip through this too, Baconbitzz.

>> No.7180753

>>7180280
You are awesome, this was extremely helpful.

>> No.7181021

>>7180254
>>7180253
>>7180249
sutff like this would be nice

>> No.7181144

>>7181021

I'm not sure how that would work in a top-down harvest moon game.

>> No.7181656

>>7174977
There are ideas floating around. Going to wait until the Tool system gets some focus, then the ideas will become more concrete.

>> No.7182422

Mystia has been added to the list of characters for the initial release. She will not be a romance option(IN THE INITIAL RELEASE), but we needed a barkeep/restaurant operator. Completely forgot. WHOOPS.

>> No.7182468

>>7179019
I've seen a lot of projects with good ideas and people fall into first eternal doldrums, followed by death; or, crash and burn due to the one fag fairy on the team (whom I picked out for everyone as "the one that's going to stab us all in the back the moment we point out how big his ego is in comparison to his actual skill set") deciding that the best thing to take from the project for his resume was "Ended a 10-year friendship, killed project, was two months behind on my time table, never attended group meetings online."

Getting into a development project with people when money isn't involved, or careers aren't involved, is like deciding to live with someone else: you don't really *know* somebody until you do it. Then you find out who they really are.

>> No.7182507

For the sake of argument, whoever is OP, compile whatever you've got together and let's figure out a way to port it to me. I'll tell you what you need to do to get going, at least. It sounds to me like you need to define the project objective, at least.

I want to hear what you want it to be, want it to do, and feel like, not how you're going to do it. List elements that you want to make into it, not elements that you're going to design it with. The sooner you have a solid foundation of what the end game product is going to contain (not how it's going to be made, who is going to do the art, how it's going to be tested, etc.), the sooner everything that comes AFTER the brainstorming and design is going to take place.

You'll also figure out if the project is worth doing, especially after you present YOUR finished game narrative to everybody involved, let them add their input, reform the narrative, ad nauseum.

>> No.7182522

>>7182507
I really like you.

>> No.7182527

>>7182507
White Ren has a point, the final concept can be improved upon, but without being sure of how you want it to be, it'll be constantly changing whenever there are new ideas and it'll be stuck in development hell just like Duke Nukem Forever was and all it's different versions.

>> No.7182540

>>7182527
>Duke Nukem Forever

It killed an entire game company. Don't be 3D Realms.

>> No.7182543

>>7180136
Should just use these

>> No.7182652

This is pretty exciting. There's really no one better suited to bring this kind of project to life. Good luck, guys.

>> No.7182716

Everything is in the OP's corner, now.

>> No.7182794

>>7182543

The problem there is 'What happens when they want to add characters that weren't in Patchcon?'

>> No.7183135

Second writer here, delivering a new decision:
Nazrin is no longer the animal seller, but she will remain a marriable character.

The animal seller is now Koishi Komeiji, who has come to the surface to meet more people and has been given the job by her sister.

Unfortunately, Koishi will not be marriable in the first release. (;_;)

>> No.7183147

>>7183135
>Unfortunately, Koishi will not be marriable in the first release. (;_;)
I am okay with this.

>> No.7183146

>>7183135
>Nazrin is no longer the animal seller, but she will remain a marriable character.
>she will remain a marriable character.

I do not care about anything else. In fact, this is really the first thing I have ever heard about this project. However, if this statement ever becomes false in some manner, I will be sorely displeased.

>> No.7183152

>>7183146

Nazrin is the project head's favourite, so I do not see this ever becoming untrue for as long as development continues.

>> No.7183166

>>7179748
>>7179748

FUCK

I'd play a game like that

>> No.7183174

Try to fit an arrangement of Skygazer from IaMP in there somewhere. I've always felt that song could fit in a game like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhCnMzhCRo0

>> No.7183194

>>7183174
Sounds like it could be a tutorial theme, or something.

>> No.7184230

>>7179748
to me it looks more like reisen fantasy, since those look like they're edited ff6 sprites.

>> No.7184414

>>7183135
>The animal seller is now Koishi Komeiji
YESYESYESYESYES

>> No.7184727

>>7183135
Will I be able to buy Orin or Utsuho? Without Satori's permission, of course.

>> No.7184730

Is that list exhaustive anon? It sounds like ';guek guek guek'.

>> No.7184771

Model the male protagonist as if he were Rinnosuke's brother.

>> No.7184789
File: 67 KB, 2000x1000, cowhou.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7184857

>>7184771
>Model the male protagonist as if he were Rinnosuke's brother.

That, my dear friend, is an excellent suggestion.
Side-steps the potentially vexing issue of who the person is supposed to be. 'Too westerner! Too typical weeaboo etc...' Slap up something that looks like it'll fit in with the rest of the characters, is unique but at the same time somewhat identifiable. Brilliant!

>> No.7184871

>>7184857
Or make ZUN the protag.
Rinnosuke is his self insert anyways

>> No.7184872

>>7184857
Agreed!

>> No.7184959

>>7184857
Honestly with the plot we've come up with so far(we are having a brainstorming session tonight at about 6 PM EST in the IRC[if all goes well], feel free to come watch), the protagonist could be from anywhere and it would be alright.

>> No.7184963

>>7184871
If that was the case, why isn't ReimuxRinnosuke canon yet?

>> No.7184977

>>7184963
Can you imagine what would happen to ZUN if he defiled one of his own characters?

>> No.7185008

OP, this sounds like it could be really good. Good luck!

>> No.7185154

Bump
I just had a silly idea.
Always getting married is so boring.
How about the possibilty to become master/servant of a character?

>> No.7185168

>>7185154

No.
Equal treatment. Every girl gets the best we can give her.
How would you feel if the one touhou you especially wanted to marry turned out to be not marriable and only had a 'master/slave' option for more variety in the game?

Well, perhaps you yourself would be happy with that, but please think of it from other people's points of view.
Harvest Moon is a pure-love game.

>> No.7185186

>>7185168
How about those 3 options for all of them?
Like I said it's a silly idea.I just don't like the idea of being married to Koishi,not even in a game

>> No.7185190

>>7185186

Too bad.

Keep it innocent, Toumoon devs.

>> No.7185221

>>7185190
Don't worry. So far all of the writing done with romances has been innocent and will most likely stay that way.

>> No.7185270

>>7185221
At first I didn't realized how being a master/servant is not innocent,but then I remembered something....

>> No.7185348

still no website/wiki page to follow this easily?

>> No.7185367

>>7185348
see
>>7174640

>> No.7185379

>>7185367

I should add that most of the work is being put in a dev-only section, so you won't see much happen at the moment.

>> No.7185493

I am so happy this is coming together words cannot describe. I will still be extremely skeptical until I am playing it but the fact that everything is assembling so well makes me happy.

Wouldn't it just be easier to mod the N64 game?

>> No.7185583

>>7185493
replacing text/graphics would be easy, adding the rest of features wouldn't

>> No.7186254
File: 4 KB, 256x192, shinki_test01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7182794
>The problem there is 'What happens when they want to add characters that weren't in Patchcon?'
then the spriters make them, obviously.

like these i made to try my hand at sd style, while trying to stick with patchcon's style. no wings, i can add them later i guess.

everything's spaced in a way so that they'd be easier to add to the game, since everything's aligned to a 8x8 grid, each sprite taking a 64x64 space.

>> No.7186286

>>7186254
good work

>> No.7186329

>>7186254
Now, that's some splendid sprites.

>> No.7186890

ZUN should unlocked as a protagonist option if there's a new game+ after the game is finished. Perhaps Sanae for a female unlockable protag.

>> No.7186905

>>7186890
>Perhaps Sanae for a female unlockable protag.

But then you won't be able to marry her

>> No.7187014

how about a more customizable unlockable protagonist then?

basically you get a chance to not only define the name, gender and all, but also can use a custom spriteset to completely customize the player and turn him/her into anyone you wanted to, as long as you can sprite that.

you could self insert yourself if you wanted to, or use your favorite character from another series or something as long as you can sprite that.

>> No.7187066

>>7187014
Well, there could be a default protagonist for everyone, but with the possibility to change it by replacing it's spriteset, or the possibility to add optional spritesets.

>> No.7187222

>>7187014
uh you will just be able to change the sprite if you want
it's not going to be encrypted or anything

>> No.7187237

>>7187222

I believe they said it's not gonna be open source, so who knows.

>> No.7188403

>>7187237
I think they said it's going to start out closed source and become open source later on.

>> No.7188521

well, i don't think a closed source implies other resources will have to be encrypted. just the code.

>> No.7188530

>>7188403
>>7187237
I'm not touching it if it's closed source, period. I don't care if it's under a non-commercial license though.

>> No.7188539

>>7188530
Like the way you don't touch VNs and Touhou, right?

>> No.7188549

>>7188539
I trust a drunk programmer more. And don't run VNs.

>> No.7188551

>>7188549
Oh, boy! We are quite paranoid, aren't we?

>> No.7188556

>>7188549
Also I'm just kidding. It's a fair point. Still. Voting it be open source.

>> No.7189199

imma bump this

>> No.7189221
File: 24 KB, 288x205, kaguya on the internet glorious_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Touhou Moon is actually getting off the ground
>/jp/ is being productive

In the first thread, I said you guys would be awesome if anything actually came of all that brain storming. Well, here we are again: you guys are awesome

>> No.7189235

Failed /jp/ project #453634

>> No.7190200

>>7189235
haters gonna hate

>> No.7191653

Survival Bump (R)

>> No.7192863

bump

>> No.7192893

>>7189221
When you take off, you'd better know how to fly.

>> No.7192934

>http://www.touhoumoon.net/
>We have programmers but cannot begin development until we have a form of SVN to upload source files to.

https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitHosting

>> No.7192936

Why not just make a romhack and use the Harvest Moon protagonist sprite?

>> No.7192940

>>7192936
Why not just read the thread?

>> No.7193030

I just want to say I admire how far this has come from a "why is there no touhou harvest moon" thread to a full-blown effort. I support you guys, and I await the release!

>> No.7193084

>>7192934
the lead programmer wants it to be closed source, and most of those sites aren't free for private projects.
both git enterprise and codaset there look a lot shittier than github, too.
i'll bring this up with the others, though, thanks for the link.

>> No.7193091

>>7188556
one of the programmers here, personally i want it to be open sores, i'm not the one deciding it though

>> No.7193093

>the lead programmer wants it to be closed source
What a faggot.

>> No.7193103
File: 22 KB, 250x400, 6e4e840555da5d4379705f51de31e8a1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>open sores

>> No.7193121

Games should have the engine under GPL and the data under some CC license. Of course, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

>> No.7193147

>>7193084 the lead programmer wants it to be closed source
In order to hide the horrible code he will inevitably produce? I hear that most people fresh out of university with whatever sort of degree do not really know how to program safe for syntax.

>> No.7193305

>>7192934
Is this still relevant? I have a barely used vserver hanging around which I could use to provide SVN hosting.

>> No.7193307

>>7193147
lol, and you do? Quit waving your e-penis around nerd, nobody cares.

>> No.7193310

>>7193307

Wow, is that what they call BUTTMANGLED around here?

>> No.7193323

gtfo already.

>> No.7193329 [DELETED] 
File: 133 KB, 473x496, EXPERT_PROGRAMMER.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7193310
Nice save. "lolumad?"
Go bask in your own awesomeness elsewhere you l33t ha><><or you.

>> No.7193334

>>7193329
Let me guess, you are said lead programmer that is afraid of showing his awful code to the public? This project is doomed.

>> No.7193338

>>7193334
Not hardly. Only underage faggots actually think projects like this will ever go anywhere. I just saw you on the front page and wanted to tell you what a nerd you are for bragging about your mad skills on /jp/. You really should take your ego down a notch.

>> No.7193345 [DELETED] 

>>7193338
Only underage faggots actually think projects like this will ever go anywhere.

nobody has ever made a video game before i guess
cool to know your opinion dude

>> No.7193346

>>7193338
So, you basically jumped me with no reason other than you reading something into my post that I didn't actually say? Wow, just wow.

>> No.7193348

>>7193338
>Only underage faggots actually think projects like this will ever go anywhere.

nobody has ever made a video game before i guess
cool to know your opinion dude

>> No.7193354

>>7193346
Backpedal all you want. Of course nobody will ever own up to anything, even on an anonymous imageboard where the whole point is to be able to speak freely. Don't act like you weren't looking down on some faggot just to stroke your own ego.

>> No.7193379

>>7193338
>wanted to tell you what a nerd you are for bragging about your mad skills on /jp
May you tell me when exactly this happened?

>> No.7193388

Guys, guys, how about we discuss about the project rather than slinging shit at each other?

>> No.7193392

>>7193379

See >>7193147 and >>7193334

>> No.7193399

We aren't /a/. Take your blog shit somewhere else, and stop fishing for attention.

>> No.7193401

>>7193388
Let's face it, the OP has left hours ago, so there is no real point discussing something productive right now. That being said, I'll leave this reference to >>7193305 in case someone in charge returns.

>> No.7193405

>>7193399

I _am_ /a/.

>> No.7193410 [DELETED] 

Don't bother replying.
Let them waste their time. Nothing worthwhile will ever come out of this anyway.

>> No.7193433

>>7193410
>Nothing worthwhile will ever come out of this anyway
This is 4chan.
Whatever you do here,if you think about it you will realize that it is not worthwhile.

No fun allowed.jpg

>> No.7193441

Did you people think they'd be planning their progression in this thread or what?

>> No.7193450

wow, /jp/'s morning crew is fucking pathetic.

>> No.7193452

>>7193410
You'd have to give the OP some props for actually getting these people together in the first place. I've been looking for people to update translation files for a certain project of mine for ages, to no avail.

>> No.7193454

stop being productive when im being underaged /b/tard here!!!!!

>> No.7193490

>>7193401
No, I'm still here. I check this thread like once every couple hours. I just have nothing to give you guys right now. We're working on the game and that's really all I can say. I just haven't been replying because...well, what is there to reply to?

>> No.7193497

>>7193490
Suggestion; make the game open source.

Because closed-source faggotry's just going to rip this game apart.

>> No.7193499

Shut up and stop posting until you have a finished product. This is not /ks/; we aren't going to suck your dick over demos, speculation or astroturfing.

>> No.7193506

>>7193499
GET OUT KS DEVS!

I always wanted to say that.

>> No.7193512

>>7193506
Newfriend.

>> No.7193516

>>7193506
There was a KS thread yesterday that's probably still on page 10 or so, did you not see that?

>> No.7193521

>>7193497
I'm deferring to my lead programmer's judgment on the matter. I know what /jp/ thinks, and I've passed it along to him.

He had this to say on the matter:

Hey all,

The answer to the open source question is that I was planning to make the beginning stages of the code closed source for now. Then once development gets rolling a bit more and such I was planning to see how the rest of the programmers felt as to making it open source. I personally would not mind making it open source after the initial stages of the project.

>> No.7193528

>>7193521
>I know what /jp/ thinks
>durr /jp/ is one person

Confirmed for retard.

>> No.7193533

>>7193521
If it's only for the first stages of the project, it's cool. I don't want to see this die due to the faggotry of one or two people when there are others who can replace them when they don't care anymore about it or they don't have time for it.

>>7193528
0/10

>> No.7193589

>>7193528
Look, a lot of people are already screaming for open-source in the thread. It pays to read.

Plus, I love tinkering around with source files.

>> No.7195696

>>7193084
You don't necessarily need hosting, but I would reccomend GIT over SVN. The hosting just simplifies it for people without experience, which your group seems to be.

You should disregard the trolls, but the convenience should outweigh any thoughts of protecting the project against whatever. You have a bare website with basic CMS, and empty promises from a bunch of guys off the internet. That's it.

You can always make it closed source, proprietary, or commercial, whatever you like once something more than a pipe dream materializes.

>> No.7195792

>>7193521
That doesn't sound clever at all. It's better to get as much input and workforce behind the basic windowing and rendering systems so they're cross-platform from the start. Generic code like that wouldn't encompass the whole project and could even be branched and improved upon for future projects by others.

If you properly separate it from your game code then you can more easily merge low level improvements in later on. Unless you were planning on using trash like GLUT or SDL which then raises the question of why you don't just use Java or Python.

>> No.7195805

>>7195792
>Java

laughing-elf-girls.jpg

OP hasn't gotten back to me with any of the information I requested, so I'm assuming I'm either unwanted or it doesn't exist.

I'm more inclined to believe number 2, but that might just be my pride speaking.

>> No.7195818

>>7195805
Who are you?

>> No.7195820

>>7195818
White Ren-sama

>> No.7195871

>>7195805
They could do this kind of game in something like Java or Flash and it might actually stand a chance of getting finished.

Using C++ and a low level graphics library is unnecessary leg work to achieve such a modest end result. People throw around things like "C++" and "3Ds Max" like buzzwords but how much of that ever goes anywhere?

Making it open source really increases the chances though.

>> No.7196737

>>7195696
If you want to see our progress, you could stop being a dick. Suffice it to say we've gotten quite far in writing and concept art, and we have made some progress in spriting as well.

>> No.7196740

>>7196737
We've seen many /jp/ projects come and go that never get past the concept art stage. I'm sure you can see why some people are skeptical and concerned, especially since this is an idea that many /jp/ers would give their lives to see realized.

>> No.7196760

>>7196737
It's better to have a dick around who gets shit done than to have a cocksucker that will get you nowhere.

>> No.7196771

>>7196760
Yeah, you sure are helping a lot.

>> No.7196785

>>7196771
As much as you.

>> No.7196978

>>7196737
so what sprite style will be used in the end?

>> No.7197011

>>7196785
As I am working on the project, I'd say that is not very true.

>>7196978
They are currently reminiscient of HMDS.

>> No.7197066

>open source
>closed source
No argument for either has been given in this thread that doesn't contain the word "faggot".

>> No.7197096

>>7197066
And thus, Anon found out that all programmers are faggots.

>> No.7197108

>>7197096
And Anon saw that it was good.

In other words, "faggotry" won't hinder a software project in any way.

>> No.7197287

>>7197108
Look at it this way: In IT companies, the people doing the actual programming are probably >90% male. (This is likely related to the fact that programming degrees have a female graduation rate of about 10%). We need to get by somehow without the possibility of having any female contact whatsoever, so we make do with what we have. That is, butts. And penises. One gets used to it in no time!

>We have programmers but cannot begin development until we have a form of SVN to upload source files to.
What about >>7193305 ? Or am I just wasting my time?

>> No.7197366

>>7197287
We have hosting now. Thanks for caring, though.
I like your theory there as well.

>> No.7198188

bump

>> No.7198206

What's Shizuha's role in the game?

>> No.7198566

>>7198206

She doesn't have one.
Yet.

Sorry.

>> No.7201632

page 13?
bump!

>> No.7202994

so... tl;dr

what progress was made this week?

>> No.7203018

/jp/ /jp/ creativity

>> No.7203062

>>7202994
We had a board meeting today, which felt relatively grown up and mature.

>> No.7203121

>staying true to the touhou personalities

You mean completely off-the-wall exchanges that only make sense after you've drunk an entire crate of Asahi? This I have to see.

>> No.7203443
File: 517 KB, 1700x1063, 1285091603835.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7203062
>board meeting

Sounds really pro, how could this ever fail?!

>> No.7203456

>>7203062
>>7203443
http://notch.tumblr.com/

>> No.7203572

I want to say that "Rinnosuke's brother" is a pretty terrible idea for a protagonist, especially if you're going for the whole "lost in Gensokyo, must eke out meager living amongst village members" feel. I'd give him brown hair and black eyes and move on to more important matters.

>> No.7203583

>>7203572
Not really. Rinnosuke sets you up with a farm and some instructions, maybe introduces you to a few village people, and you're on your way.
Either way, since generic male and generic female have already been decided upon, I don't think Rinnosuke's brother is happening anyways.

>> No.7203669

>>7203062
As the project leader I think I can safely say that we did not do that today. In fact today was REALLY SLOW and every other day this week was full of us doing work. Everyone is doing their respective jobs at a steady pace. Things are moving forward at about the pace I expect them to.

Also we figured out the programming situation, if anyone was still wondering about that. So they're going to begin work tomorrow, from what the lead programmer is telling me.

>> No.7203692

>>7203669
If you are referring to using a version repository system, then keep in mind that it is best used for the entire project, and every contributor.

>> No.7203734

>>7203692
>best used for the entire project, and every contributor.

I cannot emphasize this enough. Use it for everything, or don't use it at all. And if you have people using it, make sure they use it. If they can't be bothered to set it up, use it, and regularly check it, then you don't want them on your team.

Make sure they understand the "how" and "when" of it, as well, or you might find them never updating their latest version when they should be. If it's an auto-updating version service, make sure to have redundancies, get them to mark the kind of file they're updating it to (in progress vs. complete), etc.

Use all the options you can.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action