[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 28 KB, 330x500, remembering-the-kanji-1-heisig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7053310 No.7053310 [Reply] [Original]

What does /jp/ think of the Heisig system of learning kanji? I have both volumes 1 and 2 of Remembering the Kanji. Volume 1 focuses on the meanings, while volume 2 focuses on the readings.

>> No.7053313

1020 posts and 2 image replies omitted. Click Reply to view.

>> No.7053317

ask /lang/

>> No.7053322

>>7053313
Contributing to the post count.

>> No.7053324

>People still think that /jp/ is related to Japan's culture, such as language and travels.

>> No.7053330

>>7053324
yes, we are

>>7053310
i think anki is better, if you trouble yourself with remembering some kango as well

>> No.7053333

It's a perfect waste of time.

>> No.7053349

>>7053330
Anki is just a memorisation tool.

>> No.7053360

>>7053349
Yes, sure. And OP was talking about
>system of learning kanji
And anki is good enough to remember kanji. Then you have to apply it, while reading some literature and learn kango while doing so. Time consuming, though.

>> No.7053372

>>7053360
But flash cards are not a "system" in that context, they're a tool.

>> No.7053378

>>7053360
But Heisig is a complete system. The kanji are introduced in a specific order based on the constituent primitives. Heisig does encourage you to use a flash-card based system anyway, which is where Anki comes in. Anki is not a system on its own.

>> No.7053408
File: 11 KB, 241x280, asdfhgj.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm using kanjidicks (with Anki), which is the same method, just executed much better. What I notice is that it's hopeless for me to remember a kanji just from having seen it in context sometimes, but the kanji I remember best are the ones that I've first broken down and studied through kanjidicks, and then seen a couple of times in context when reading eroge.

>> No.7053417

>>7053378
>>7053372
Well, if you come from that point, that's correct.

But you can't really use flashcards without developing some system of your own.Like connecting different kanjis by simillar parts\keys, noticing simillar readings of kanjis that have simillar particles (fonems, or something), trying to learn kanjis in some specific order (like, keywise, or with simmilar onyomi (that's the way that Anki does, btw), etc), connecting meaning of the particles of kanji to it's own meaning and lots of other shit, that comes by itself.

>> No.7053458

I think heisig is a bad system. I'm tired of reading language threads and someone says how they learned 100 kanji per day. If you don't know the om/kun how exactly did you learn the kanji? I'm looking for others tips/advice and people saying bullshit like knock out 50-100 new kanji per day just makes me roll my eyes.

>> No.7053472

>>7053458
I know exactly what you mean.
For some reason we've had some sort of small invasion of Heisig supporters those last few weeks who come into every thread saying how awesome it is to the level that it feels like trolling.
Maybe Heisig is the new Rosetta Stone? I don't know.

>> No.7053496

>>7053458
Learning a lot of kanjis at start is not impossible, but is tough and requires of you to recite them many times a day. Of course, it eventually goes down logarithmically. And if you drop it for sometime it will be hellish. So, imo, it's better to take it easy and fix them in your head well, by reading something, so you won't have a mess in your head later.
Naturally, I was saying about learning meaning, kun\onyomi.
Hovewer, memorizing their writing is entire different matter...

>> No.7053503

Heisig is an amazing resource.

If you need to learn how to write kanji by hand, that is.

You don't.

>> No.7053533

>>7053458
I don't see why people find it so hard to grasp (both the supporters and the opposition), Heisig doesn't teach you kanji, it tries to make it easier to memorize them, so that when you encounter them in context, it won't be an overwhelming mess of meaningless scribbles that will force you to spend minutes just deciphering one sentence with a dictionary (I started out trying to learn some Japanese this way, and it was extremely frustrating). With Heisig, you won't necessarily know what everything using jouyou kanji means, but you will have a much easier time adding new compounds you find to your new mental dictionary.

As an example, take the word 無理矢理. If you haven't seen any of the kanji before and just go through it stroke for stroke, there are 39 strokes to go through. But if you know the kanji, you'll just have to remember that those 3 symbols you already know will have that meaning when arranged in that way.

>> No.7053546

>>7053533
Oh, and I should add, Heisig sucks. The method is nice, but Heisig itself sucks. It's extremely dull, teaches you lousy keywords and could have done a much better job giving some slight context for each kanji, so that you'll have some clear knowledge about how it's actually used. For these reasons, kanjidicks is superior.

>> No.7053561

>>7053503
Exactly. I was actually thinking along those lines too. When I first saw heisig I thought I had gotten the wrong book. I thought it was for people who already knew the kanji, but wanted to relearn/revisit the proper stroke order.

>> No.7053588

heisig is a good system.
it makes remembering kanji alot easier.

>> No.7053630

I think it's fucking stupid, remember them as you learn words that use them. Heisig is correct about the story/radical bullshit though. I think it's more effective to use kanji damage stories or your own though, as his kind of suck.

>> No.7053661

I can understand both sides of the argument. I've used Heisig myself and I was skeptical at first too. Heisig is an excellent tool for learning yourself to remember kanji writings and recognize primitives/radicals. Sure, it doesn't teach you any actual readings, but that's part of the method, isolation of the writing and readings of kanji. This is the reason it's much easier for a Chinese person to learn Japanese, they're already familiair with all the kanji so they just have to learn the readings, which speeds the process up immensly. I've experienced it myself. Before Heisig, I would struggle with remembering readings for certain kanji because of poor recognition, but since using Heisig I've noticed that my recognition has improved by leaps. I advise anyone that seriously wants to learn Japanese to use this method, since it makes the process much more efficient.

>> No.7053666

>>7053661
Agreed.

>> No.7053677

How about reading? Obviously, read shit with furigana first. I know about 1400 kanji pretty good, if I see a kanji compound I don't know that has kanji I already know in it I can usually figure out the reading and meaning on my own. I haven't done heisig, kanjidamage or any other stupid overrated method. 99% of the kanji I know is just from reading, encountering them over and over and looking up in a dictionary as I go.

>> No.7053712

>>7053677
Hm, I know more than that, but I still encounter unknow kanjis and kango in almost each sentence.
Btw if you don't know the kango, just put it down in NJStar WP or something.

>> No.7053799

>>7053677
I think you're seriously overestimating the amount of kanji you know.

>> No.7058323

>>7053310
Heisig is a great complement to an existing kanji learning course.

>> No.7058340

Stop bumping shitty threads

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action