[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 91 KB, 640x480, Curry_and_rice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
652101 No.652101 [Reply] [Original]

Okay, this might seem a bit retarded here and essentially belonging to /ck/ but I know that the fags there won't be able to tell me this. So I'm goig to depend on the people living in Japan or having lived there for some time (they seem to frequent this board more anyway).

I'm in Japan right now and I'm in a bit of a cooking dilemma. So far I've been eating out a lot, because I don't want to eat instant noodles all day and night.

Since the supermarkets and groceries have a somehwhat differen sortiment (obviously) I'm sure I won't be able to do the same shit, I eat at home. I don't want to, for that matter.

I basically look for some basic recipes. Japanese food you can cook relatively quick and simple. Also some explanations on the ingredients maybe, cause I certainly don't know them all. I'm also not a real fan of seafood (fish doesn't count mostly, but no octopus, clam and so on).

Help a fellow /jp/sie out Anons. I don't want to eat at CoCo壱番屋 every day.

>> No.652115

Watch Yakitate! Japan and learn to make bread in a rice cooker. Then slice said bread. Then put two slices together with peanut butter between them. There you go, a Japanese twist on an American classic.

>> No.652118

Just go to McDonalds already. You know you can't resist.

>> No.652120

>>652118

You bet I can. Also, Mos Burger is better.

>> No.652121

After trying nattou for the first time, McDonalds for breakfast starts looking good.

>> No.652124

After I tried natto, dying sounded good.

>> No.652125

Buy 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 or 2 potatoes, some meat and "Vermont Curry" or something.

>> No.652131

How about learning to make teriyaki?

It's really simple. Everything you need can be bought at the local grocery store. Fry up some beef, put rice in bowl, put beef on top of rice and apply teriyaki sauce.

>> No.652141
File: 102 KB, 335x334, 1211250213522.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>652101
>So far I've been eating out a lot
So have I, if you know what I mean heh heh heh...

>> No.652166

>>652101
>(fish doesn't count mostly, but no octopus, clam and so on).
Sounds like you don't like MOLLUSKS.

>> No.652169

>>652101
i usually make rice.
then that can lead to fried rice, to sweet chili pork and vegetables on rice.
or, to something as simple as egg fried rice.
or even, fried egg and spam / canned meat on rice.

or, may i suggest you go and buy a sandwich press. bread is abundant in japan, and isnt too expensive, so you can go ahead and throw anything into it and clamp it down.

also living in japan, vary the time of day you go to the supermarkets.
different times of the day and different days will yield various specials. like cheap meats, drinks, vegies etc.
my favourite, is the 3 packs of _____ for 1ooo yen at Harashin.
that means, 3 packs of hash browns / fried chicken / minced meat / pork / whatever for 1000 yen.

>> No.652171

It's called Lawsons, know it.. love it..

>> No.652172

フィレオフィッシュ
フィレオフィッシュ
フィレオフィッシュ
フィレオフィッシュ
フィレオフィッシュ
フィレオフィッシュ
フィレオフィッシュ

Now you desire Filet・O・Fish.

>> No.652198

Just buy some goddamn vegetables/chicken and COOK THEM.

>> No.652211

make some sukiyaki or some curry rice faggot

>> No.652229

furikake and rice, that's simple; make it into sort of a ball sharp and wrap some nori around it and then you have onigiri.

>> No.652245

Convenience stores in Japan ALWAYS sell meals that you can even ask the clerk to microwave for you, and you're ready to eat. That's what I did when I was there because the price of 1 set of ingredients could fund a week of Lawsons.

>> No.652334

Learn about the shops in your neighbourhood. Got a ¥100 or ¥99 shop with foodstuffs? Check out what decent basics they have. Supermarkets? Go to a different one every once in a while for different discounts.

Get vegetable oil, soy sauce, cooking sake, mirin, rice vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. These are your basic must haves in the Japanese kitchen. Combine a bit of soy sauce with sake and pepper and you have simple tare to stir fry vegetables and meat with. Combine mirin, rice vinegar and sugar and you have a dressing for daikon salad. (don't forget to salt the daikon beforehand to get the bitter taste out).

Read up on the basics on-line, or buy a second hand cookbook (but you would need to be able to read Japanese).

Finally, learn how to make miso soup. Easy (even from scratch) and very nice to eat.

>> No.652339

eat what you'd normally eat

>> No.652346

>>652339

Can't do that. You simply don't get the ingredients here.

>> No.652353

>>652346
fair point.

when I am in Japan I eat ramen, matsuya and I cook curries

simply buy all the vegetables you'll eat, chop, fry, add water, add curry block, add more water, boil, serve with rice.

same: hayashi block

it's aiight. goes well with mitsuya cider and shitty japanese bread.

>> No.652368

I'm going to second McDonald's, if your an American you'll starve to death in no time without your daily intake of ~12,000 calories.

>> No.652388

>>652368

I'm not American and I'm not much of a big eater. In fact for the past days Japanese portions were just fine. I appreciate your concern anyway.

>> No.652401
File: 99 KB, 471x650, 1211253628747.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>652101
'dat curry?

>> No.652422

make sushi.

1. buy fish
2. bite fish
3. chew
4. ???
5. die of blocked airway

>> No.652423

Japanese food is complete shit.

Indian/Malaysian/Indonesian food are the only options.

>> No.652457

>>652141

Yeah, I noticed, what with that huge gut of yours and all of those grease/shit stains on your shirt and all.

>> No.652472

>>652457
YOU ARE HUGE
THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS
RIP AND TEAR!
RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

>> No.652550

>>652346
you can't find a place to buy a couple potatoes and a piece of beef?

>> No.652658

>>652131
>beef

Sounds expensive. Might as well eat out.

>> No.652665

>>652550
Potatoes aren't exactly cheap either. :(

>> No.652676

>>652472
Lousy berserker packing man and a half, ripping my huge guts.

>> No.652728

I would guess in Japan you can't really get your hands on anything from Hispanic/Mediterranean cuisine... but you still have rice, vegetables, meat, legumes in some form, etc... These are basic building blocks... Get creative - in the ingredients, preparation, cooking method, etc...
For a quick and easy recipe you could cook some Thai chicken - don't remember all of it off the top of my head but it involves chicken, coconut milk, peppers, rice, and anything else that you think would go

>> No.653813

>>652334

Followed this Anon's advice and bought lots of basic cooking stuff. Wasn't even expensive. Now I'll start experimenting around a bit.

I can still do Curry as a last resort now.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action