[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 28 KB, 330x500, remembering-the-kanji-1-heisig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6281617 No.6281617 [Reply] [Original]

Is this any good? First year Japanese student here, we just got into kanji and I'd like to study some more over the summer, particularly kanji.

Some of them are pretty fun to draw.

>> No.6281632

despite what the following people will tell you, it can be useful, but only as an aid for recognition.

if you dont follow it up with vocab study, it wont be that helpful.

>> No.6281635

>he still has fun while learning Japanese!

>> No.6281631

I'm pretty sure summer has gone and passed already.

>> No.6281651

The best way to learn kanji is to read something that uses kanji so that you learn common uses rather than their individual meanings. For example, you can learn that 後 can be pronounced "go", "kou", "nochi", "ushiro", or "ato"; but what's the point if you don't know that 午後 would be ごご? I think that expanding vocabulary is the best way.

That book is good for learning how to write kanji though, but that really won't do you much good.

>> No.6281663

I find that it helps immensely with writing. One thing that has really only lately come to my attention is that the more characters you know, the easier Japanese is to remember, and vice versa. This can give you a head start on one end. It's not the be-all, end-all that some preach it as but I've noticed a marked improvement in memorization capacity since I finished it.

Also, can we stop asking this question? Is everyone who asks this just a troll now?

>> No.6281676

>>6281632
This man is correct in his assessment of RTK. It is good for learning to recognize and write the kanji - nothing more and nothing less. This thread will no doubt end in pointless bitching about how "My method is more correct than yours," but the only thing you need to know is that Heisig's method DOES achieve what it aims to.

>> No.6281678

>>6281651
That's not entirely true - learning how to 'write' the kanji leads to some nice recognition, and once you really start grinding kanji, you will be able to "stick them together" out of easy radicals.
I suggest reading just a slight bit of Heisig, and if you like it, use "Reviewing the Kanji" as a supplement.

>> No.6281765

>Learn 2000 Kanji in less than 3 months of your life
>Impress the everloving shit out of every single asian you ever meet, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, even Vietnamese.

You can try to learn Kanji through everyday usage and reading, but you won't be able to write them worth shit. They're two completely different skills. RTK addresses the writing portion.

I learned the first 1k with Heisig and used that as a base. Once you know the radicals you can just switch to your own learning methods.

>> No.6281768

What's that one book that looked good? Kanji in context? Something like that. Google it.

>> No.6281800

>>6281768
I do remember someone posting a pic of some amazing looking book with stroke order, examples with furigana, the readings, and possibly more.

>> No.6281817

>Heisig
Troll thread.

>> No.6285442

It's worth it if you can endure doing it for an hour or two each day. Shouldn't take more than 2-4 months depending on how well you do.

>> No.6285449

It's best to speed through RTK in like a month or less, just get used to writing and recognizing then move onto a good grammar guide.

>> No.6285457

Kanji is not an alphabet. For the most part, they constitute semantic portions of words. It doesn't make sense to learn them all upfront. You will learn them as you need them, from words.

RTK teaches you nothing of importance.

>> No.6285476

>>6281800
That describes about every run-of-the-mill kanji book ever.

>>6281768
Kanji in Context is a decent book but it's also pretty advanced. For a beginner I would recommend the two "Kanji Odyssey" books.

>>6285449
This. Getting through RTK as quickly as possible to move on to something else is a good idea, though a month or less sounds a bit too fast. You shouldn't just skim through it and do regular reviews, ideally with an SRS like Anki.

>>6285457
If you just learn them as you encounter them they will appear in a pretty much random order. In RTK they're ordered logically so they build up on each other. First you learn the really simple kanji and then move onto the more complex characters that are just made up from the simpler ones making learning them easier as a whole. This is one of the key points of RTK.

>> No.6285537

I recommend this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Kanji-Book-Vol-1/dp/4893580914

Also, for the record, a first year Japanese student shouldn't be attempting to memorize kanji, when you barely have basic grammar down. I have two and a half years of lessons under my belt, and have just began my first 300-level kanji class. Take it slow, Anonymous. Learning a language is a long process.

>> No.6285540

Take this shit back to /lang/. Yes, 4chan has text boards in case you haven't noticed.

>> No.6285560

I don't think RTK is all that useful in a class setting anyway unless you actually learn on your own outside of class because they certainly don't expect you to know 2000 kanji and thus won't teach you with that in mind. But if you learn on your own the classes become kind of redundant as you will probably get ahead quite quickly.

>> No.6285587

>>6285540
this is relevant to otaku culture because we need them runes to play VNs

>> No.6285591

Sure is troll thread with the regular RTK circlejerk /jp/.

>> No.6286074

>>6285560
>But if you learn on your own the classes become kind of redundant as you will probably get ahead quite quickly.
If that was true schools wouldn't exist.

>> No.6286077

>>6285540
Have you ever actually been to the text boards? They're absolute shit, nobody uses them and they get more spam than /jp/ if that's even possible.

>> No.6286088

>>>/lang/
I can't take it easy when we keep having several language threads a day. stop bumping off topic threads

>> No.6286096

>>6286077
>text boards are bad so it's ok to post it in the wrong place
also /lang/ has a long running ask questions about japanese thread which looks like pretty sensible conversation to me.

>> No.6286105

>>6286096
/jp/ is 40% Saten threads, 20% "why is /jp/ such buttfrustrated autistics" threads, 10% meido threads, and 30% anime screencaps with greentext.

Do you really give a shit if people talk about the Japanese language here?

>> No.6286125

>>6286105
I consider such threads much worse, but trying to reason with the posters of such threads is pretty futile, whereas informing people who probably made a legitimate mistake thinking language threads belong here is likely to be far more productive.

>> No.6288324

Boomp.

>> No.6288678

Forgetting the Kanji
A Complete Waste of Time in Worthlessly Studying Japanese Characters

>> No.6289146

>>6281617
RTK is what has made it possible for me to actually learn the language. Being restricted to the set of radicals for primitives, having conflicting keywords for kanji and primitives, and having keywords for primitives that aren't memorable and can't be used together to equate a meaning are ineffective techniqes for remembering the kanji. Reading and writing are important. Illiteracy is bad. Illiterates are lying when they claim fluency.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action