[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 145 KB, 1037x679, Hiragana Chart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5306450 No.5306450 [Reply] [Original]

ok so basically, I started teaching myself japanese a little while ago, but all I'm doing right now is memorizing hiragana and katakana.

I'm sure there's a very good explanation, I just haven't gotten to anything in the actual written language yet. I'm wondering why there is a hiragana for every katakana, meaning the same syllable, and how they are distinguished. Like, how would one know whether to use the hiragana or katakana in a sentence? Do they have specific contexts/uses?

>> No.5306454

>>>/lang/

>> No.5306476

You kidding bro? This wasn't explained to you in whatever book/website/video course you are using to learn?

katakana is used for loan words and foreign words. hiragana is used for natural domestic words (really it's more like it's just used for particles and conjugation and shit). Make sense?

>> No.5306815

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/writing
Bookmark the site, it should be useful to you if you plan on learning by yourself.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action