[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 72 KB, 240x320, 1268525163991.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5134928 No.5134928 [Reply] [Original]

I would like to know if /jp/ likes VNs with battle scenes or action scenes and powerlevels. Also want to know why you like it or not.

Udonge in a box is related due the current state of the board.

>> No.5134954

F/SN sucks. Go away.

>> No.5134949

some do and some dont

>> No.5134966

i'm like Vns but i'm only read Tsukihime any recomendations?

>> No.5134968

Depends.
actions scenes? yes
powerlevel shit? no

Actions scenes can be either nice or really bad, so it's difficult to answer that.

Powerlevel shit is always a turn off for me.

>> No.5134979

it depends.

>> No.5134988

/jp/ is going to "unanimously" say no because action is associated with shounen and it's cool to hate shounen.

>> No.5135009

Depends on execution.

>> No.5135019

>>5134988
Did you come from /a/ or something?

>> No.5135029

>>5134968
Define powerlevel shit.

>> No.5135043

Battles can be done well. Action can be done well. Powerlevels...

>> No.5135051

>>5135029
A bunch of talking about how strong character X is and how can he beat character Y using the W ability.

Or something like that.

>> No.5135057

I hate powerlevels, period. It doesn't bother me much if the writer doesn't fill the script with infodumps, but I rarely go out of my way to read up on powerlevels.

As for actions scenes, they can work, but I prefer the generic renai style for visual novels. There are a ton of other mediums that can do serious sci-fi/fantasy stories with stylish battles, but VNs do romance in a completely different way. I want more of it.

>> No.5135059

I don't like action scenes in VNs. I'm not that much into action to begin with and I don't think it works well in VNs especially. Tsukihime and F/SN both had a few fight scenes that I thought were pretty cool, but I didn't like most of them and I haven't liked any fight scenes in other VNs.

I still liked Tsukihime and F/SN because they had stuff other than the fight scenes going for them. I can't say the same for some other action VNs like Princess Waltz or Kikokugai.

>> No.5135060

Action is good sometimes, but I like DEEP stories. Like Clannad and Ever17

>> No.5135067

>>5135057
I share the same opinion

>> No.5135064

>>5135051
Fans ca n do that regardless of the actual content if willing, though.
Iffy.

>> No.5135070

>>5135064
Yeah, I'm talking about those kinds of things inside the VN. Not fan discussions.

>> No.5135082

Some of my favorite eroge like Full Metal Daemon Muramasa or Ayakashibito are action oriented
It's just a question of execution

>> No.5135091

>>5135070
Well, something as simple as 'this fucker is 8 ft tall and can throw a boulder weighing a ton while you can just kick a bit high, so you die' can apply to your definition.

Do you dislike having set of very unique defined abilities and parameters, are you irritated by inconsistency and everything boiling down to A SINGLE NUMBER KEEPS RISING UWWWOH(aka, POWERLEVEEELS), what exactly?

>> No.5135115

Personally I don't like the whole "plot device battles" that you can see in FSN, especially when it's inconsistent or simply filled with plot armor.
The fight in Tsukihime were much shorter and had far less impressive production value but I preferred them.
Heck the best fight in FSN is very short and is done in a Tsukihime style.

>> No.5135145

>>5135115
Excluding ONE scene specifically, which funnily enough is barely mentioned as an example, there is no 'inconsistent' fight scene in F/SN that only can be explained with 'PLOT ARMORRRR'.
Stupid ones, yes. CHaracters not doing shit efficiently at times(though we think so due to meta knowledge and knowing the abilities of both), yes. But that is a different problem.

>> No.5135178

>>5135091
>Do you dislike having set of very unique defined abilities and parameters
No, I like information like that. For example:

A: If I use my <ability> in <that way> I'll be able to do some damage to his leg, hopefully I can dodge his first attack.
B: <attacks>
C (narration): A tried a desperate attack by running towards B, who took his huge blade and attacked A. A <bla bla bla what happens>

What I don't like is when characters or narration lines keep bragging about how strong or weak someone is or how powerful is becoming be doing that or something like a DBZ fight.

>> No.5135201

>>5135145
Fate against Berserker, you just can't disagree that it was fucking inconsistent.
UBW battle against Gil, we are never shown how Shirou could get near Gil, there is also the whole "pushing back someone with servant level strength" but you guys will defend that I'm sure.
And most fight with Saber were filled with plot armor shit.

>> No.5135204

>>5135178
3d party narration lines rarely do that.
As for the second part, it rarely happens in VNs, and it's usually either brief or comedic.
I guess your problem is with POWERLEVEEEELS, which is what DBZ was about.

>> No.5135221

>>5135201
Only the first one which rarely gets mentioned.
And marching forward will you reproduces swords to block thrown swords is not that hard, since that what is what the battle came down to.
As for the last one, too vague and general to comment on.

>> No.5135281

>>5135082
One thing I liked about Ayakashibito was that you were told what the powers were early on and the rest of the time was made of the characters using these powers in various and intelligent ways rather than LET ME SHOW MY NEW HIDDEN PLOT DEVICE.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action