[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 299 KB, 712x720, gab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4899920 No.4899920 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /jp/, so I want to get into Touhou. I've been hearing all about it for a while now and it seems really interesting, but I have no idea where to start. Theres just so much shit within it, its intimidating.

So, where should I start? Any advice would be much appreciated.

>> No.4899926 [DELETED] 
File: 77 KB, 400x556, 1265465887101.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Touhou 6

>> No.4899928

Start with Double Spoiler.

I'd rank it one of the easiest out there so far... Not counting Mountain of Faith or Imperishable Night due to controversy that will pop up.

>> No.4899931

Play the games, after you come across each boss look them up:
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters

>> No.4899932

Start with Imperishable Night, it's the best one, by far (and my favorite).

>> No.4899947

Start with the first one

>> No.4899952

8 --> 6

>> No.4899961

Start with Perfect Cherry Blossom
only permavirgins start with Imperishable Night

>> No.4899968

>>4899961
fuck you

>> No.4899972

Start with Perfect Cherry Blossum, the 7th game. You can find it on google or /rs/ or something. Translation patches are on the wiki. Alternativly, theres a torrent of all the games floating around somewhere, patched and evertything.

>> No.4899976

>>4899968
problem officer?

>> No.4899986

>>4899976
Sup, Suigin?

>> No.4899989

>>4899961
Is Suigin still visiting from /a/?

>> No.4899992

>>4899989
I spawned here

>> No.4899990

>>4899986
konnichiwa

>> No.4900023

Regardless of where you start playing...heres some general tips.

-You will die. Alot. Don't worry, thats normal.
-Don't play on easy.
-DON'T PLAY ON EASY.
-Holding shift focuses your movement, slowing you down, changing your shot patern, and displying your hitbox. Use this, but use unfocused movement too. You will need both.
-Don't hug the bottom of the screen. You can move up and down, and you very much so should.
-You get bombs. Use them. If you find yourself dying constantly at a particular point, make a note to bomb there. NEVER die with bombs still in stock. Note that when you die, there is a very very tiny window in which you can use a bomb and survive. Don't rely on this.
-Each game has a different gimick for scoring. Read the wiki for more info. You SHOULD try to collect points and game-specific items. Points give you lives, game-specific usual give some critical bonus.
-Streaming is important. Learn how too.
-Deliberate avoidance > twitch dodging in most cases.
-1CCing a game mean you complete it in one continue. This is not expected on your first playthrough.
-On that note, don't let /jp/ get you down. We are assholes, and said hole only gets worse when it comes to newfags.

>> No.4900065
File: 387 KB, 1061x1000, Patchy555.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'd recommend just spending an open night getting all the games, patching them/making sure everything's set up correctly, and getting the feel of the overall mechanics and controls. Try every single damn one by the end of the night, and see which one tickles your fancy the most.

Some people include a complete or near-complete data file (saved profile) that basically has all the stuff in the game pre-cleared for you. You can just delete these if you want to feel good about doing Extra by yourself etc.

Although people familiar with schmups may say Touhou isn't amazingly difficult or can only be sort of difficult at best.. they are really just showing off their elitism to the extreme. An outsider to schmups overall WILL find Touhou to be HARD, one of the hardest games they've ever played, and seemingly fucking inhuman/impossible at some points. When you watch videos they make it look so fucking easy, then you go try to do an Extra clear as a noob, get fucking owned by the trash mobs (or waste all your bombs just to get to the midboss), and you'll feel like an utter failure at life.

It's at this point that defines whether you're gonna be a real fan or not. Quite simply, the more you play the better you get, and it gets to the point where like 90+% of all of the content of all of the games will become laughably easy for you. True Touhou fans will master all the games, tirelessly memorizing the patterns and spellcards until they utterly master every game.

>> No.4900146

>>4899920

- Download all the games
- Play each one for a few minutes, or maybe longer (about 10 minutes each, perhaps?)
- If you find one particularly appealing, go back and play that one

>> No.4900164

Only after you've played at least one game through and seen the endings should you go and start reading doujin work.

Seriously.

>> No.4900172

>>4900164
Incidentally, you can find that on the wiki.
But you should get the patches first from there.
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Touhou_Wiki
Select game from list, get patch, download game from elsewhere, patch as required.

>> No.4901069

Download EosD, PCB, and IN

play them in order, and if you liked them, download the rest.

proceed to rage trying to get 1cc, and then upgrade to maximum rage trying to clear the extras.

also fap to the delicious lolis and the fuckawesome tunes made by Mozart reincarnated.

>> No.4901259

>>4900065
I started with SA.

Needless to say, I found it really impossible at first.

>> No.4901273

>-1CCing a game mean you complete it in one continue.

You mean one liveset.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action