[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 509 KB, 1778x2060, grimoire of marisa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
33912934 No.33912934 [Reply] [Original]

So, I recently had the idea for creating a website that let you view all spells/non-spells in all touhou games. The purpose being to autistically deconstruct every spell/non-spell in the games.

At least at first, the idea would be to have a video/webm showcasing each attack for every game/difficulty (and ideally every rank for the older games, though such a thing might be difficult). Said video should ideally not involve any shooting (to make the bullets as visible as possible), nor should it involve "exploiting" the card (i.e. just sitting in a safe spot).

But eventually, I'd like to see something with even more detail, like a simplistic break-down of each card, such as a view of the attack with just black/color-coded bullets on a white background. And also perhaps digging deeply into the randomness of attacks that have randomness (as in: if there's randomness, does it affect the number of bullets? their position/velocity? And what are the possible values they can take on?).
In any case, the main difficulty would be getting all of the footage, especially for the earlier games, due to the "rank" system. I definitely can't do it, 'cause I suck at the games.
But what do you think, /jp/? Does this sound like something worth doing? Any suggestions?

>> No.33914519

All of that would be technically easy, since I think the universal practice tool even lets you customize rank (or if not, there's definitely some way to change it), and modifying sprites and backgrounds is no problem.
As you point out, getting someone who can cap the harder cards without cheese is one hurdle. If you don't mind operating in a moral gray area, you could simply record from existing replays of NN(N) runs to get many of them, but for games with rank or cards where safespots are always used, you might need to specifically get someone do do them for you.
Another consideration is that the videos themselves, in order to be useful, would have to be recorded at a minimum of 640x480, 60fps, with a relatively high bitrate because that sort of video is hard to encode. It's nothing insane, but a full collection would be at least a few tens of gigabytes you'd have to host.
Also, I think the reason such a thing doesn't exist already is because there's not really any demand for it. If you want to know how to dodge some attack, there are replays available for all of them. If you want to know all the ways a specific card can be manipulated, it's easy to use a practice tool to investigate on your own. The only thing this project would be useful for is satisfying particularly deep, but not particularly useful, curiosity.

Overall it sounds like a neat idea, but I'm not convinced that it has any real benefit worth the effort required to make it happen. But if you're passionate enough to do it anyway, it would be cool.

>> No.33915214

I think it would be good for beginners who want to play Touhou a bit more seriously and learn the patterns, you would be surprised at how many people who get into Touhou as their first bullet hell have 0 idea what they're doing. Sure they can go on Youtube but having a dedicated site with proper commentary would be a lot more useful.
Video hosting might be a PITA though, unless you just make really long gifs. Or use a CDN.

>> No.33919062
File: 359 KB, 1062x800, body-heat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>33912934
I'm intrigued enough that I bumped this thread. Will post more detailed comments later.

>> No.33928691

>>33912934
All the best, I guess.

>> No.33928791

>>33912934
Adding lore behind the spells would also be nice

>> No.33929127

>>33912934
Spellcard database? Sparks my autism a little.

>> No.33931725

>>33912934
>At least at first, the idea would be to have a video/webm showcasing each attack for every game/difficulty (and ideally every rank for the older games, though such a thing might be difficult).
Why limit yourself just one video? Multiple strategies can exist for clearing the same card.

>Said video should ideally not involve any shooting (to make the bullets as visible as possible)
It'd be great to have a repository of videos of all spellcards being timed out, but it'd also be nice to see how they can be captured. What about the strategies where you take brief risks with the intent to capture a card before things get too hot to handle? That's very different from how you would play a card if you were trying to time it out.

>nor should it involve "exploiting" the card (i.e. just sitting in a safe spot)
Cheeseball strategies ought to be documented too!

>And also perhaps digging deeply into the randomness of attacks that have randomness (as in: if there's randomness, does it affect the number of bullets? their position/velocity? And what are the possible values they can take on?).
You extend this idea to include further mathematical information on a spell card, like the functions that trace the path of the bullets (I don't know how attack patterns work under the hood; I assume bullet paths are described as a function of bullet location over time).

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action