[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 182 KB, 750x1050, ever17-shirousha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2797157 No.2797157 [Reply] [Original]

Why is immortality often seen as a curse?

I want to inject myself with Tsugumi's blood and live with her happily ever after. To me, this seems like GOOD END material.

>> No.2797167

Why would anyone want to live forever.

>> No.2797172

Because it's boring.

Imagine refreshing /jp/ for one day straight, like most of us do. Now multiply that by 30. You have your average month of NEETdom. Then 12. Then a few thousands. That's how boring immortality is.

>> No.2797173

Let's say you have a headache today. Now, you are made immortal. You'll have that headache for all eternity.

>> No.2797176
File: 441 KB, 1065x1514, queen_millennia_37.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2797177

Because people who can't live forever tell themselves that it would suck to make them feel better.

Even if you say immortality would be boring, how about if you could just live as long as you want then when you're done you can just call it quits?

>> No.2797180

She's not technically immortal. I'm pretty sure she couldn't survive being beheaded or jumping into a volcano or something.
>>2797173
What if I become immortal while fapping?

>> No.2797181

Enjoy being endlessly hunted and experimented on.

>> No.2797183

>>2797177
This is the best form of inmortality.

>> No.2797187

>>2797177

>how about if you could just live as long as you want then when you're done you can just call it quits?

Hello ideal existence.

However, that's not immortality.

That's shouldn't-be-called-immortality no-lifespan.

>> No.2797191

>>2797180
I'm sure that intense feeling of pleasure would get annoying after a while.

>> No.2797193

Fuck the thought of immortality. I don't even want to live now.

>> No.2797194

>>2797193
Stop being so dramatic, anon.

>> No.2797198

>>2797157
It's surely great for a while. You get to try everything there is to try without fear of losing the chance to try it. Perfect any craft you want to. Do anything you want to. Meet new people at a whim. Amass, for yourself, more than any other person could dream of in the span of uncountable years.

But quickly, you'll notice how similar everything is to everything else. Once you've experienced something, the stimulus is no longer as rewarding. Experience it enough, and it is boring. You meet new people, and after meeting enough of them, find out what they all share in common and become able to accurately predict everything that isn't shared.

Nothing is new. Everything is old. There is nothing you do not know. Nowhere you have not been. Everything that has already been done.

Even if you conquer everything and become an immortal king, there is nothing left. You can devote yourself to shaping them, but the finite limit of their opportunities and choices will leave you wanting.

The universe is finite. Boredom is the only truth of an immortal mind. Your world will become small, your body an eternal prison. Dissolution will be the only thing you cannot experience, that you haven't experienced.

>> No.2797217

The only problem I'd see with being immortal, is what you'd do when people cease to exist.

If everyone killed themselves off or just died out, you'd be wandering around and have nothing to do for all time.

>> No.2797226

If you ever got around to actually meeting and knowing people, they'd eventually die.

Unless you had someone else immortal to be with forever, then you'd probably end up a loner... forever.

>> No.2797232

>>2797226
Many mortals are loners already.

>> No.2797250

>>2797226
When you're with someone, you will grow tired of them, unless you constantly experience new things to expand the dimensions of your relationship.

Living forever... you'd have to have something to grow into. Being with the same person... without changing significantly...

That stagnation would make you want them to die. All your feelings would eventually turn into hatred against them, since that's the thing you haven't felt between yourselves. Then, apathy.

I believe that the only ways to exist as an immortal are as someone who can forget what he or she has experienced at will, or as someone that chooses to intervene in the lives of people in order to create conflicts that will create interesting developments and outcomes.

So, you either see things as eternally new, or you manipulate lives to potentially produce a new experience for you to witness. The former would be eternally vapid, while the latter would become an insane, unsurpassed mastermind looking for the unique events in the tangled skein of his manipulations.

>> No.2797268
File: 350 KB, 473x700, bern-lambda1448051.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2797250
Doesn't seem too bad, really.

>> No.2797269

>>2797232
And most of them are miserable or would rather not be alone.

>> No.2797270

>>2797198

But immortality doesn't imply an infinite mind.

Every mind is limited. Your oldest memories will fade bit by bit into oblivion--thus saving you from eternal boredom.

Think of it like when you've gone back and played an old video game that you got bored of a while back and found it fun again--because your memory of it has faded away sufficiently.

>> No.2797279

>>2797177

That is not immortality.

>> No.2797283

What kind of immortal would I be? The "Mai-chan's Daily Life" kind or Highlander?

>> No.2797289

>>2797157
doubt she'd leave takeshi for you

>> No.2797294

>>2797270
The human mind can stored enough basic template information regarding human nature, sciences, mechanics, etc. to eventually make you capable of remastering any scenario you put yourself into with the minimum of ease.

Playing through an old game the second time is never as good as the first time, you know. You remember how to play it, what happens in general, and all the important surprises.

It's like riding a bike. You never truly forget. And it's only exhilarating for a moment when you jump on a bike and start riding after years of not being on one.

>> No.2797297

>>2797279

Sure it is. Immortality doesn't mean invulnerability or Mokou-style unlimited regeneration. You can simply not suffer old age and disease, but still be able to die of artificial causes.

>> No.2797304
File: 11 KB, 100x100, 132256-mr-immortal_100.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Coming in at number 4 in the troups I hate most...

Immortality is only as boring as you make it out to be. The good kind of immortality (no aging, can't die, no upkeep) gives you a free ticket to do whatever the hell you wanted for however long you want to because the consequences don't apply anymore. Finally get bored doing what you want to do? do some reading, get into philosophy find out what other people wanted to do but could never accomplish it. Build it all up until their is no farther you can advance, then take it all down and stat over again but perhaps do it a bit differently (This time everything evolved from sheep)

>> No.2797307

>>2797297

No. You're an idiot. Immortality means NOT MORTAL. MORTAL means ABLE TO DIE. Therefore Immortality means NOT ABLE TO DIE.
If you are ABLE TO DIE, you are not immortal.

What YOU are talking about is NOT HAVING A LIFESPAN. You HAVE NO LIFESPAN, but you are STILL ABLE TO DIE, I.E. MORTAL.

>> No.2797308

>>2797294
I think he meant that the human mind is finite. There is only so much memory your brain can store. Once it's all used up, there will be some memory loss.

>> No.2797312

>>2797297

Mokou Reincarnates, not regenerates. It's instantaneous.

>> No.2797318

>>2797297
No. Immortality means you cannot die.

Having no defined life span and being free of the effects of your body naturally deteriorating means your are ageless.

For example, Elves, in most cases, are un-aging, but not immortal.

>> No.2797319

Perhaps a way out of the boredom immortality causes would be the ability to move yourself between dimensions and time.

The infinite possibilities and occurrences across the dimensions along with the ability to travel to different times should satiate the boredom. However, since immortality in that case would be as infinite as the different occurrences, so at one point maybe one immortal being will eventually get bored of the small differences.

Then again those differences could mean a gigantic difference in the end, so maybe said immortal being won't be bored.

I wonder how Zelretch feels...

>> No.2797323

being immortal would suck... to infinity

>> No.2797324

Well there are some things you can't ever get or do again.

You'll outlive all your friends and odds are you'll never be as close to anyone else again, since you won't be able to grow up with them, you would just be this dude that showed up later in life.

I imagine that you'd want to work hard for some time to build a nest egg you could live off of.

>> No.2797328

>>2797319
There's no such thing as infinite possibilities. There are things that are impossible, you know...

>> No.2797331

Would there be a limit to the things I can learn if I became immortal? If so, then fuck immortality.

>> No.2797332

>>2797304
Someone post that GLA page with him outliving everything

>> No.2797333

>>2797157

I wouldn't mind being with Tsumugi forever... Then when we grow tired of our lives we can stand in the sun for awhile and let our genes get obliterated by the sun. Fuck yeah, lack of the P53 gene's protection.

>> No.2797345

>>2797308
I understood what he said. I stated that the mind remembers what it uses the most. We have basic templates for general situations/knowledge that we use. The more things you encounter, the more defined these templates become, and the easier it is to learn and use information you accumulate. Nothing will appear "new" to you once you have encountered every situation and created enough templates.

You might not remember every detail of every situation, but you will eventually have enough general knowledge of everything you will encounter to quickly formulate a solution when you apply details. Hence, "figuring out the answer" won't seem like a big deal or quite the accomplishment, since it's just a re-enactment of an old formula you're correctly applying. You might encounter something you forgot, and think "Oh, that's interesting.", but it's not going to be some huge discovery.

>> No.2797349

>>2797304
here let me put this in a different way for all of you

You're immortal

You're a god

Do what gods do

>> No.2797350

>>2797331
I think the human brain holds like 1-10 terabytes of info.

>> No.2797355

>>2797350
We don't store information in the same way computers do.

>> No.2797358

>>2797333

FFFF----

I meant Tsugumi... Damn it K-ON! Fuck your similar names, I never wanted to mix those two up, ever.

>> No.2797363

>>2797345
Yeah that makes sense. It's like you're running a new scenario but comparing it to something similar to what you've encountered before and starting off from there.

>> No.2797368
File: 26 KB, 640x360, 1176516769265.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2797350
>implying the capacity of human memory is describable in binary computer terms

>> No.2797369

>>2797350
It's amazing how much we can do when we really don't store that much of what we "think" we're learning and witnessing. The vast majority of it is just a generalizations of events, the "gist of it", if you say it easily. Yet, we can do a lot with that.

>>2797349
Grow bored, fuck up things for humans and see what they do about it? Wage pitiful, pointless wars against other gods using humans as tokens for no reason other than to be amused?

Gods, in general, are seen as entities poking an ant hill because they can.

>> No.2797370

i guess ill find out but you wont i will

>> No.2797380

Being immortal would only be interesting if you were a prankster because you could pull off pranks that would take centuries to execute.

>> No.2797387

>>2797380

Even that would be boring after the infinity of time you have to do that.

"Like oh, hey I did that... now what? Again? Boring..."

>> No.2797393

>>2797380
Hence, being an insane mastermind whose only solace in living forever is thinking of ways to completely fuck over the lives of a lot of people in such a way that you don't necessarily exterminate mankind, but rather just cause mankind to suffer soul-shattering psychological suffering.

Afterwards, you go back to the drawing board and refine the plan to do it again, but better next time.

I think I could live like that. It'd be like I was Kotomine, but I don't get impaled by a dying Irishman.

>> No.2797394

>Why is immortality often seen as a curse?
Because you are immortal, I mean how fucked up is that? It defies all laws of physics and such. So when you become immortal you become mad because you realize you are impossible, an so, not real.

>> No.2797400

So, what if an immortal being reached "the end" would they die too?

But an immortal can't die by definition, so would they continue to exist after the end of the universe?

Wow... that would suck.

>> No.2797405

>>2797387
You would forget about stuff after a while, so you can just start over from the beginning.

>> No.2797406
File: 118 KB, 628x930, ever4527279881.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It would be terrible to outlive your children.

It's gonna suck for Tsugoomi.

>> No.2797409

BUTTHURT MORTALS WISH THEY COULDNT DIE

>> No.2797417

>>2797406

Well... I guess she could stand out in the sun.

>> No.2797420

>>2797400
By that time, an immortal might figure out how to restart the universe and become God and all that.

>> No.2797423

The answer to immortality is to not do everything at one time. In every story where someone gains unending, immediate power, they go crazy and burn out on it, then they grow apathetic and get dethroned.

Someone approaching from the right mindset would plan out everything so that they enjoy it for the longest possible time.

Say, you want a woman. But, instead of wooing her and taking her right then, you shadow her family for a few generations, manipulating events behind the scenes so that everything goes wrong for each successive child. Then, 5 generations later, you approach the most recent female descendant and reveal the fruits of your labor. As she realizes her entire life is fucked up by all of your efforts and you revel in the final fulfillment of your designs, you take her full force and receive the profit of all that investment in time.

Man, that would be awesome.

>> No.2797430

Immortality is stupid, it's obviously impossible due to quantum mechanics.

>> No.2797433

>>2797423
Sounding kind of evil there, bro.

>> No.2797434

>>2797423
I want a game like this, too bad its probably banned.

>> No.2797436

>>2797393
Not necessarily evil, just trolling the fuck out of entire civilizations.

>> No.2797446

>>2797430
It also violates the concept of entropy, but what do we care?

>>2797433
Once being good gets boring, you're obviously going to try being evil.

>>2797434
Conquer the world, get it legalized, then disappear into history as the man who conquered the world just so he could legalize a rape game.

>> No.2797448

immortality is stupid, since if your body is destroyed you don't get it back, you just float like a ghost unable to see, hear, touch, speak since you wouldnt have any organs

you need regeneration if you want a new body

>> No.2797451

>>2797423

maybe the first time or the third, maybe even the fifth time is fun.

But guess what, at the 16344th time or 1426526523th time it will all be the same shit. Even if you have 1 million plans you will eventually do them all a million times.

That's immortality.

>> No.2797460

>>2797430
Is that reason? Fuck it, to the curve.

>> No.2797463

>>2797423

Even if you don't do everything at once you'll eventually reach a point of "Oh, hey I've already done that..."

>>It's like riding a bike. You never truly forget. And it's only exhilarating for a moment when you jump on a bike and start riding after years of not being on one

After the Nth time you'd grow bored, even if you try to pace yourself you'll be doing nothing for an age. So you'll grow bored and do something, and maybe it's something you've done recently. You know the outcome, you'll grow bored. So you try to wait and then do something, but you'll grow bored... It's a vicious cycle.

Maybe at one point you'll figure out how to delete memories by creating a robotic brain, hah. Then you can forget things at will.

I'd wanna forget Ever17 so I can play it again and shit bricks like it was my first time playing it.

>> No.2797466

What the shit? we're all already immortal. Just that our matter organization won't always be the same, fine with me.
Also, this thread needs some fine physics, chemistry and some biology.

>> No.2797478

I committed myself when playing a video game. Experience, explore, learn its pattern, share it with friends. Enough satisfaction and it will lead me to the point where it's already way too boring. And then I'll turn the game off.

And start a new game.

If it's get too boring, just have those immortal option to off themselves.

>> No.2797481

immortality can't be boring as by the time you've done/learned everything on earth we'll have space travel and because you're immortal you can explorer deep space which is infinite

>> No.2797485

>>2797167
WHO DARES TO LONG, FOR FOREVER?

WHEN LOVE MUST DIEEEEEEEEE

>> No.2797486

The whole reason for living is because you want to make the most out of what you want. If you're immortal, there is no drive, you can always say "I'll do it later" because that later stretches on for an infinite amount of time.

Basically, with immortality, humans lose the drive to live, the fun of life.

>> No.2797487

>>2797481
>>deep space which is infinite

HAHAHAHA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

>> No.2797494

>>2797487
FUCK YEAR, ENTROPY!

>> No.2797496

If you're immortal, you won't even reflect light and lots of other quantum implications.

>> No.2797502

>>2797494
Entrop killed my aspirations to be a physicist.;_;

>> No.2797505

If I could life forever, i'd try to guide humanity to paradise on earth through subtle manipulation over thousands of years.

>> No.2797509

>>2797487
Proved to be bullshit though.
And space isn't infinite, proved.
Fucking Riemannian geometry.

>> No.2797513

>>2797502
Why?

>> No.2797516

>>2797481

But your time is infinite too. You have forever to do something, even going to another planet or some part of the universe. Jumping into a black hole... well that would be bad since you'd still technically be alive...... somehow, you'd probably jump in with a way out or a way to turn yourself into back into your original form.

But you'll keep doing things, even if space is infinite how much of it is empty? How many planets exist with life. How many times can you conduct galactic wars, etc until you get bored. Things in the end will be the same as possibilities on earth, perhaps on a larger scale.

Maybe there are new things to do such as terraform a planet, or colonize one like in spore.

I say the robot brain idea is cool, you can delete your memories linked with the mind and body, and do something like it's new.

>> No.2797523

>>2797513
When I read a book on Entropy and Thermodynamics when I was 12,it was too damn depressing.

>> No.2797539

>>2797516
Time isn't infinite in this universe, neither is the universe itself.

>> No.2797553
File: 44 KB, 306x512, godemp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This sums up what would happen if a /jp/sie were to become immortal. Trolling the entire universe.

>> No.2797556

>>2797157
I'd be immortal. Do you know what I'd do with immortality? I'd start amassing wealth, gaining capital buying and selling stocks, reading the market. In 500 years time I'd be the richest mother fucker on the planet.

Normally I wouldn't think that way since I'm pretty sure I'd be dead before I'd be rich but when you can live for fucking ever then now things change.

The only people afraid of immortality are unimaginative people who wouldn't know what to do with so much free time.

>> No.2797562

>>2797553
Do I get to be a giant snake too?, that part is pretty much the deal maker.

>> No.2797563

>>2797539

Fine, even if you reach the end you'll still have done everything even if you pace your time. Sure you can do what >>2797420 says but how many resets will you have until even that gets boring... Nth time strikes again.

Perfect immortality sucks, you need a fucking panic button...

>> No.2797564

>>2797523
....I still don't see why that would be.

>> No.2797574

>>2797564
I guess when I was twelve I just couldn't accept the idea of a slow, whimpering death for the universe and subconsciously started to run away from things related to physics.

>> No.2797579

Humans aren't meant to live forever. People become senile and insane when they live for a long time. It's not just because aging takes a toll on the brain, but because too much stuff happened. Anyone over 100 has more than enough memories than the mind can handle. Imagine having several hundred lifetimes of memories and experiences and still having a working brain.

>> No.2797585

>>2797562
More of a drug producing worm than a snake.

>> No.2797586

>>2797574
Yeah but that's just cheap astrophysics.

>> No.2797592

>>2797579
Amnesia. Self induced Amnesia. I'd wager if your immortality is the regeneration type if you kill yourself enough times you'll forget shit.

Some immortals in fiction employ that as a way to keep sane.

>> No.2797613

>>2797564
It's pretty damn scary to think everything would end in such a way. But I consoled myself I'd be long dead before that happens. Let the life forms alive at the time deal with it.

>> No.2797617

>>2797157

Because a strong sense of needless self deprivation has been fueled and ingrained into society since the middle ages by monotheistic religions

>> No.2797620

>>2797579
>>2797592
Finite mass means finite information, information is stored by organizing matter, if it's finite, you can't store infinite amounts of information.

>> No.2797645

>>2797620
Tell that to google.

>> No.2797653

>>2797645
I can't deal with entities hacking the structure of the universe bro.

>> No.2797675

If you are bored just "kill" yourself wait for respawn then kill yourself again.
You can even make a device that kill's you or something.

>> No.2797681

>>2797613
Nah, I mean yeah, it's fucked up that we're just some random organization of mass in a cyclic universe. But that hardly can make anyone hate physics. Physics and math are the most beautiful things mankind has ever done.

>> No.2797689

ITT People assume they know what it would be like to be immortal

>> No.2797697

>>2797675
Or just one that puts you in a coma, kinda like death but not permanent.

>> No.2797709

>>2797681
It can be sort of traumatizing to a young kid though. I probably wouldn't have cared so much if it wasn't such an eye opener that like all things the universe will simply fade out in a whimper.

>> No.2797711

>>2797689

Woah bro, thanks for reminding us of the topic of the thread.

>> No.2797733

Hmmmm, immortality implies regeneration...how much energy would that require? leaving aside the fact that there's no information on how the structure was, tumors everywhere.

>> No.2797754

You will never whether the universe is infinite or finite

and by the time someone does, you are mostly very likely deaaaaaad

still if I had the choice I would like to see how everything truly ends... (if there is such an end)

>> No.2797760

>>2797754
Red giant, galactic collision, etc. We're doomed everywhere you look.

>> No.2797770

Greg Egan writes some crazy shit about people exploring immortality and the infinite. It usually ends with someone killing their consciousness in some way or another.

>> No.2797774

The typical immortal seems to have a rewind/reset setting to his body

Everything is reset except for his memory, which is probably infinite too.

The typical immortal also has infinite energy and can regenerate as much as he wants. Yes, essentially he's an infinite being in what may be an finite universe.

If there is truly a being like that. I predict that aliens will capture him and turn him into a perpetual energy generator

>> No.2797778

>>2797774
Infinite memory implies infinite information which implies infinite mass in a reduced volume, Immortals are back holes.

>> No.2797780

>>2797760

Well, Earth might survive into the Sun's red giant phase, but even if it does it would be a burnt-out fuck hot ball of rock and crust that turns to lava during the daytime.

>> No.2797781

immortality disproves the law of thermodynamics

every time you insert this into a finite universe scenario things become really awkward

>> No.2797783

Immortality means that when everyone who says it was bad to be immortal is dead then you will be able to sit on their graves and scrawl obcenities on them while dancing and restating that it is, in fact, awesome.

>> No.2797813

>>2797780
Actually, the high energy would excite the core matter of the earth and make it disintegrate.

>> No.2797829

As an immortal being you can never evolve. You'd be stuck as a humanoid creature on the planet earth. You could go into space, but you'd be relying on a finite amount of fuel, and if that ran out you can suffocate for a million years until you get sucked into some other planet's gravity well.

The creatures around you will die and evolve. You will watch in envy as organisms evolve into beings of pure energy and intellegence, oblivious to the physical world. Your universe will eventually freeze or explode while other beings have dived into other dimensions.

>> No.2797854

>>2797829
This is a physicist's nightmare.

>> No.2797873

Aliens will take your brain and turn you into a quantum computer

or a giant robot... didn't Evangelion started because Adam got stranded on Earth?

>> No.2797910

>>2797873
No, Evangelion started because Lilith crashed Adam's party.

>> No.2797924

why are there two threads about immortality?

>> No.2797928

>>2797924
Because we decided to have an immortality themed /jp/ night

>> No.2797935

>>2797924
good question, why is there only two? Someone start another one, maybe this time is theme is whatif everyone else if immortal but you.

>> No.2797941

>>2797924
Yeah I guess we should start another Japanese Bird Cooking Spaghetti thread instead.

>> No.2797946

>>2797941
Japanese Bird Cooking Spaghetti threads are good, fuck you.

>> No.2797947

>>2797924

We all wish to be the lich.

The little girl lich.

>> No.2797956

Listen to the song "immortal" by Adema because it's bad ass. Also being an immortal soul simply means not even death will stop you from fulfilling your destiny which would last as long as time itself, or until an end point of some sort is reached. Or a reset point.

>> No.2797963

>>2797956
Bullshit, I want some science with that shit.

>> No.2797969

I would be with Tsugumi forever. I would never leave her.

>> No.2797992

The worst thing about being immortal without superpowers is you can get captured by scientists and experimented on for eternity.

Until some young, stupid, rogue, ambitious scientist removes the sedation from your body because he thinks you are some god or something.

>> No.2798009

This is >>2797956 here, and of course there is no science in immortality or scientific proof of the existence of the soul by the standards most people relate with the word soul. But speaking theoretically if a soul does exist it is possible it could be immortal to some degree (as either individual souls or as pieces to a greater puzzle) The Guru's of india refer to that puzzle as a "god" concept. I have chemically been close to death (not as close as DMT but Highest grade Salvia) And to me it felt like a seperation from all the things I had learned as well as my humanity itself, My friends became nothing more then biological life-forms no different then the tree's around me. I didn't feel a connection to this world necessarily but I felt like I existed in some essence. If a soul does exist then more then likely it is immortal in the sense that it cannot ever truly die.

>> No.2798015

>>2797947
Sup /tg/. What ever happened to those loli lich threads? I enjoyed them.

>> No.2798020

You should all read Dune.

>> No.2798024

>>2798020
But there's over 9000 books in the series. Where does one even begin.

>> No.2798034

>>2798024
Begin with Dune.
The first three books (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune) are the best.

>> No.2798043

>>2798024
Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, Chapterhouse Dune. That's pretty much all you need. Unless you want to risk trying the stuff written by his son. I can't vouch for that quality though.

>> No.2798044

>>2798034
you mean... it goes downhill after the very beginning?

>> No.2798047

It is also possible that a soul/ or essence of a life form in the spiritual world/alternate dimensions/time space etc, There is a dimension where everything in all of time and anything imaginable by anything in all of the cosmos exists simultaneously. So if you count things from other dimensions/existences as being existent then you could use that as a support claim for "immortality" but honestly we have no idea of knowing if it is possible, personally being immortal in this world would bore me out of my mind. I already find myself smoking grass for no reason other then boredom, just have fun and if you're an immortal soul you will never truly perish, Even if at some point in time our essences are to be completely atomically eliminated on all planes we still exist in the memories of the past. In a way you can say everything is "immortal"

>> No.2798063

>>2798044
No, just that those are mandatory reading. The rest aren't really necessary to fully know the Dune setting. Personally I enjoyed all of them.
The ones written by his son after his death... not so much.

>> No.2798067

>>2797992

And then you go on a revenge-fueled killing spree, where nothing can protect your enemies from you. Not men, not weapons, not armor. Right?

>> No.2798068

>>2798044
Not really, the focus just changes. The first 3 are all basically about the Atreides and how fucked up they all are. The next few books shift away from that and focus on Duncan Idaho and how fucked up the universe is.

I personally like the earlier books more, but I know others who feel the opposite. Just preference.

>> No.2798075

>>2798068
>Duncan Idaho
There is nothing sufficient to describe what I'm feeling right now.

>> No.2798087

>>2798075
Best character, next to Liet.

>> No.2798091
File: 44 KB, 856x480, snapshot20090620023639.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So how about being a child that never ages, but you can still be killed?

Suito is a non-virgin, though

>> No.2798093

>>2798075
Enjoy your Kwisatz Haderach.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

>> No.2798094

>>2798093
What is it about these names that make them so funny to me?

>> No.2798103

This talk of Dune reminded me of the scene with Alia, the Emperor, and the Baron. Damn that was a cool scene.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action