[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 1.65 MB, 1920x1200, War, Freedom, Ignorance.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2789911 No.2789911 [Reply] [Original]

HALP /jp/

I just started PCB, and I don't know what the shit is going on.

Where is my "health bar"? Or do I die after one hit?

Which character is good to start on? Does it matter?

How do you pause the game?

Are "shooting" and "bombing" the only forms of attack that I have?

Is there anything else that I should know of?

Thanks.

>> No.2789925 [DELETED] 

Holf shift for focused movement.

>> No.2789931

Health bar? Are you some kind of pussy?
Scrub it up and play reimu homing to start.
Hit escape to bring up the menu.
Yes.

>> No.2789933

Hold shift for focused movement.

>> No.2789941

Boom, headshot.

>> No.2789943

Shoot the Touhou until it turns into a bloody mess.

>> No.2789957

There is no health bar at all, one hit and you're death. Use Reimu B to start, really good unfocused weapon since it covers a good part of the screen and do a lot of damage. The focused mode is strong, but you have to get used to it.

Press 'Esc' to pause the game. Yeah, shooting and bombing are the only ways to defend yourself.

Deathbombing is really important, when you get hit, you have a fraction of a second to hit bomb button to release it. It will become mechanic after some time. Play on Normal to get used to the controls, then play on Hard or Lunatic. Hope that helps.

>> No.2789962

Pick Sakuya
Shoot Knives
Be Good at PCB

>> No.2789965

>Where is my "health bar"? Or do I die after one hit?
These games never have health bars. All shmups have you die in one hit, unless they suck.

>Which character is good to start on? Does it matter?
Not really. Just use them all, and decide from there.

>How do you pause the game?
esc

>Are "shooting" and "bombing" the only forms of attack that I have?
Yes, though focused shots and bombs are different.

>Is there anything else that I should know of?
ReimuA has homing shots, and SakuyaA aims while focused.

>> No.2789977

Hold shift for focused movement.
Hold Z for shooting.
Press X to use a bomb.
Press C to throw a punch. (Deals massive damage to bosses, but very short range.)
If you think you are about to die, use a bomb. You have plenty of bombs, and they're refilled when you die.
Start with Reimu A. Low damage, but she has a very tiny hitbox and her attacks automatically home in.

>> No.2790014

A note to explain the hitbox in case you're unfamiliar with the term, in the middle of the player sprite is a dot that becomes visible when you hold shift. Visible or not you only die when a bullet or enemy passes through this dot, the rest of the sprite is fine and having a bullet pass through your sprite and miss the dot is called grazing.

use grazing to boost your score and to maneuver your way through bullet storms, even the seemingly impossible can be beaten this way. Another thing you need to know is that you get extra lives as you score or collect the blue items, some bosses drop lives or extra bombs.

>> No.2790047
File: 1.23 MB, 1440x900, 1213841408345.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here.

I just tried shift + Z, and I'm shitting bricks. Is speed the only compensation for this awesome attack?

Also, what are spell cards? Do I get to use them too?

>> No.2790066

>>2790014

Grazing = touching the character but not killing her?

Which of the small boxes are the most important? There's pink, blue and red

>> No.2790070

>>2790047
'Spell Cards' are what it's called when the bosses' change their attack patterns temporarily. If you can hit them enough while it's changed, you'll 'capture' the 'spell card'. You can't really use them yourself, though you could think of bombs that way if you want.

>> No.2790079

>>2790066
When you hold shift, there's a large circle around your character, and a small circle in the middle of your character. If anything hits the small circle, you die.

>> No.2790091

>>2790066

Red is power items, they make your shot better and are most important.
Blue is score items, they... score points. What did you expect? They're worth more the higher up on the screen you collect them, and you get extra lives for collecting certain amounts of them.
Pink is for PCB's gimmick scoring system. Collect enough (the value is in the bottom-left of the screen) and you'll get a temporary shield (goes away and clears the screen of bullets if you get hit). If it runs out before you get hit, you get bonus points.

At full power, you can auto-collect all items on the screen by going up to about 2/3 of the way up the screen - this is also the point where point items are worth the maximum.

>> No.2790094

>Press C to throw a punch.

Are you trolling me? I don't see anything happening when I use C... Does it show any effect at all?

>> No.2790098

>>2790047
Your Spell Cards suck in comparison to the bosses (Master Spark being an obvious exception), and should be used only when trapped in a corner or when you want that point boost.

Or deathbombing.

The only important box is yours: it's small, white, and should be located around your character's sprite's midwaist. If it gets hit, you're dead.

Grazing means that the bullets pass the character's sprite but it never touches its hitbox. That's the key. Supergrazing is basically this, but manipulating enemies' bullet trajectories so that you can get extra points. Memorizing bullet patterns helps greatly.

>> No.2790108

>>2790094

lol he trol u

>>2790047

Reducing speed is the point of focus. It lets you dodge bullets much more easily; mostly, you should only be moving a small amount to dodge. For instance, when a large number of bullets are on-screen and aimed at you, just dodge slighly right or left to dodge them all, or keep tapping in one direction to dodge a steady stream of shots aimed at you.

>> No.2790111

Troll thread
Reported

>> No.2790135

>>2790066
red ones are power
blue ones are points
getting enough pink ones get you a point boost+temporary shield.

>> No.2790141

>>2790066

Red = Power, maxes out at 120 something or maybe 150, I can't recall right now. This is your first priority as the sooner you get them all the sooner the drops will convert into one of the other types which are worth more points. A max power will also give you the ability to move to the top of the screen where there's the "border of collection", pass it and you auto collect every item on screen. Finally, you'll need max power to kill bosses faster or have a wider spread of shots.

Blue = Points, pure and simple scoring items. In the bottom right of screen is a counter, first it should be 0/50 and once you get that you should get a 1up I think. It'll go to 50/125 and up and up each time you hit the mark.

Pink = Cherry points, collect enough and you'll have a moment where grazing is worth much more points and if you get hit you'll be unharmed.

Purple = 1up, it says so on the box.

Green = Extra bomb.

Yellow = Full power, these drop when you've died.

>> No.2790142

>>2790108

So should I be holding shift basically every time I encounter a boss?

Also, thanks for the replies anons.

>> No.2790169

>>2790141

Don't full powers only drop on your last life and when you continue?

>>2790142

Depends on the boss, but mostly, yeah, as well as in stage sections where there are a whole lot a bullets flying around, though there are places where speed is needed to dodge some patterns.

Also, try reading this, especially what it says about streaming:

>http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/General_Strategy

>> No.2790202 [DELETED] 

Stop spamming us, you dumb niggers: http://www.AnjnTalk.com/ (replace "j" with "o")

hhhfhndjfky

>> No.2790201
File: 234 KB, 1370x1844, 1243279597183.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is a good thread.
Here, OP, have this video as an inspiration while you practice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOmyGmrdpJA

>> No.2790261

>>2790201

Holy shit. That's rather demotivating.

>> No.2790300

>>2790261
I found this video inspiring when I started playing Touhou. But take it easy, nobody expects you to beat Yukari a week after you started.
And don't be demotivated by videos, rather take hints from them and use them as walkthroughs.
Also a brotip that Anon hasn't stated yet: The blue score items also play a role in gaining extra lives, filling the "Point" meter.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action