[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 175 KB, 1500x1500, japanese futon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
27701260 No.27701260 [Reply] [Original]

Are these comfy compared to normal western mattress+frame setups? Any drawbacks?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089Q7SWR3/?

>> No.27701587
File: 25 KB, 560x301, Tatami-Bed-Frame-with-2-Drawer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alright, so the TRU shikibuton experience generally consists of a tatami mat, a cushioned bottom pad (usually synthetic), and a wool futon on top. With a kakebuton over that for a blanket.

Just this setup, that you linked, is kinda basic and won't be all too good. Maybe good for guests, but I wouldn't recommend it long term. Won't be too comfy.

Shikibutons kinda suck in the maintenance part. Such a futon you will have to beat so it doesn't start to sink in and flatten in regards to your body shape. And the biggest bitch is preventing mold. You see, you normally would have to raise up your futon after you slept on it to help air it out and get rid of moisture or excess heat. Like hang it somewhere. Constant bed maintenance isn't fun for NEETs. You can help avert this though by getting a raised tatami bed frame that allows airflow underneath for bodyheat and doesn't trap moisture. Proper Tatami help with this too, not just the mats but mats in an actual raised frame like in traditional Japanese houses. Getting good quality wool or even silk helps with antibacterial properties.

So you see, many Japanese use an extra pad underneath the futon for extra cushion, and a proper tatami helps replace the benefits of a bedframe in regards to airflow and body heat diffusion. So just getting a cheap rollout mat and sleeping on a solid floor isn't such a good idea.

Getting all these things can actually be expensive if you aren't in Japan. So you might be better just getting a cheap bedframe and mattress. However if you want to go full weeb, then go right ahead. Just make sure you get the right stuff.

There are several websites that import proper handmade shikibutons from Japan, so go look them up on google. Don't get some cheap shit on amazon. The underpad can be cheap though, usually it's just extra cushioning with sheets on it.

>> No.27701846
File: 432 KB, 1076x1016, Screenshot_20180503-160801.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>27701587
Hm. Ive slept on a just a mattress before without a frame before and didnt know that. I live in a pretty dry place so maybe I just got lucky on not maintaining it.

So there is the tatami mat (which this amazon link has, though a cheap one), and then another pad, and then the futon itself?

I dont think I can even consider getting a raised tatami bed frame. I think I can manage the extra maintenance on moving the bed around every day. I was planning on putting it away in the closet anyway to make more space in my apartment. That was one of the main reasons I was going for this to be frank

>> No.27702455

>>27701846
>So there is the tatami mat, and then another pad, and then the futon itself
Yes, usually. Although some traditionals/cheaps skip the second pad. Depends on how fine you are with hard floors. I personally recommend one. Something like a foam pad underneath the futon is what I would recommend. Hard floors can actually be tough under just a few sheets of wool. Usually the tatami softens the floor so many don't need one, but you won't usually find actual tatami floors outside of Japan.

There are many suppliers of tatami mats, but I would personally recommend
https://www.tatami-mat.net/goza.html

This is a real Japanese guy who makes them and helps teach people around the world. You can tell he's good because his website still has the early 2000s Japanese web aesthetic. I like how you can customize the borders and coverings. You can order special tatami that are suited for sleeping on with interior stuffing that helps distribute body heat and is antibacterial, compared to other tatami that might be better for constant walking on.
Even has custom pikachu tatami borders, costs extra
https://www.tatami-mat.net/border.html

Although I assume this is all out of your price range.
I would then recommend getting a tri-fold wooden frame. There are some cheap ones over the internet.
Something like this
https://futonland.com/product/suki-studio-futon-tri-fold-frame

Folds away and lifts the futon off the floor, it also helps air out the futon.
If not, then put your futon over a railing or something every so often to air it out. And let it sit out in the sun every so often

>> No.27703430

I have a futon right now and its very comfortable
The floor is a lot more comfortable, but i really do like my futon

More than any bed

>> No.27704035

Ive slept on a lot of different futons and its really hit and miss. Some of them were so hard I might as well have slept on concrete and others were better than my bed. Personally I prefer to sleep on a soft matress/futon.

>> No.27712443

I used to sleep on a camping pad on my floor because am poor and it was plenty comfortable.

>> No.27723728

>>27712443
I do the same but because I'm a minimalist.

>> No.27731178

As another note, those roll tatami mats are not comparable to an actual tatami floor in feel or pressure and are meant as something to relax on short term while reading etc for those who don't have a tatami room and miss the feeling.

>> No.27735646

Complete novice when it comes to these mats. I should definitely grab the frame mentioned here >>27702455 if my place has carpet, yeah?

>> No.27736616

>>27701260
>>27701587

Desu I slept on tatami/futon for a decade (in nippon teaching, then back home because it was cheap) and I can’t sleep on western spring and memory foam. Just not firm enough. Whenever I do I stretch and crack my back in the am. Sinking in is comfy, but not sure about sleep or health...

>> No.27759948

>>27735646
It would be a very good idea
The carpet would be softer than a hardwood floor, but I wouldn't recommend sleeping directly on it year round. It would be bad for both the carpet and futon.

That's a good beginner frame to lift yourself off the ground. It also folds up. There's better versions somewhere on the internet, but I forget where they are at. Just look up futon bed frames and you should find some other folding wood frames. Maybe somewhere has free shipping.

If you want a REAL tatami bed frame, I would recommend
https://www.tatamiroom.com/cgi-local/catalog.pl?category=PLATFORM_BEDS

>> No.27760516
File: 28 KB, 469x409, 1586125367301.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>27759948
Cheers. I'll save these for future reference.

>> No.27817740

>>27701260
Bugs crawling on you.

>> No.27818389

always wanted to use one, but sadly can't(at least long term) since I sweat way too much and can't be bothered to keep up the maintanance

>> No.27821237

>>27817740
I've used one for several years on a wooden floor in an apartment which had enough small openings for more than a few bugs in the summer, along with spiders all year around.

It was never an issue.
The biggest issue was how unforgiving the futon was when I was an idiot and gave myself massive hangovers, but that's a non-issue for many here.

>> No.27821386

>>27821237
>but that's a non-issue for many here.
Incorrect

But I always imagined that passing out drunk on the futon on the floor would be one of the appeals

>> No.27821943
File: 77 KB, 800x800, Alcoholic_Animu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>27821386
>passing out drunk on the futon on the floor
Oh, that's not bad at all, but I usually don't get much of any hangover from doing that, besides general malaise. I don't even drink on workdays or every weekend.

I'm talking vomiting bile, chills, spasming, being weak, soreness, and having no ability to hold much down but maybe broth for a day, mainly as a result of drinking vodka like beer and forgetting to take enough vitamins, b-vitamins, sodium, and water alongside it. Being on a tall bed, especially an adjustable one, is literally a game changer in actually getting up, and with every pressure point being amplified, that tatami may as well be concrete.

I know more than a few people here are this kind of retarded, but I do not assume it to be the majority, Even I don't do it as bad or as often out of sheer Pavlovian conditioning overpowering my alcoholic tendencies.

>> No.27824922

>>27821943
You bring up some good points
Being on a tall bed makes a huge difference in having a trashbin next to you to vomit into easily, while I imagine doing the same on the floor would be that much harder.
Also the added cushioning in regarding to passing out

I too like to drink vodka like water
>вод

>> No.27826205

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQJQN5S
I recently went back to futons after trying western mattresses. I got this (1.2 in thick) instead of the 0.4" like OP's. I went from a futon directly on hard floor (had very little money), to a western mattress, and back to a futon because I kept fucking up my shoulders from sinking awkwardly into the "extra firm" western mattress. I started with futon early in university because they were $50 and very light, but I now like how they don't sink.
I do pick it up and fluff it or whatever when I vacuum, but I don't know about mold. I never had it but I live in a very dry desert.

>> No.27848535
File: 355 KB, 800x800, 1562701916182.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm curious where I could get a mattress that's considered higher end?

I used to sleep on an Emoor futon from Amazon, what do you guys think of them? I used one for two years on carpet and found it comfortable, always used the plastic mattress protector and never put it in the sun or beat it and it held up find until I moved to tile floor and it quickly got black mold. It was only $200 so I'm guessing that's super cheap since I have this idea that your average futon is like $600 in Japan but that might be wrong.

I was thinking of putting it on a mesh cot like this on top of a nice rug, or perhaps bamboo is better.
https://www.thermarest.com/products/cots/mesh-cot/mesh-cot.html

>> No.27879324

Wouldn't reccomend them to side sleepers but if you sleep on your back they are great.

>> No.27879736

>>27848535
damn that is comfy and you have easy access to alcohol on the left when you wake up

>> No.27882489

>>27879324

I'm a side sleeper with scoliosis and using a futon on a hard floor with a blanket underrneath completely rid me of morning back pain.

>> No.27882564

Does a folding tatami mat like in the OP stink up the entire place?

>> No.27883727
File: 209 KB, 604x613, sweat frog.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>27879736

Uhh... that's not alcohol, anon.
Note the funnel.

>> No.27883938

>>27883727
True, but please don't frogpost on the jay, ``kudasai.''

>> No.27885124

>>27701260
It's a bit nonsensical how good they are.

Really I don't get it. They're cheap as fuck, too.

>> No.27907605

Are there any tatami frames that are as tall as a western bed or that fold up for easy storage and moving?

>> No.27911331

>sleeping on the floor like a fucking animal

>> No.27912108

>>27701587
I've slept on one of these, I really didn't like it. I like western futons a lot more. To my mind, the main benefit of the futon is that you can lay it out on the floor to sleep. Building a raised section of floor to then sleep on that floor is a kind of abstraction that doesn't really make sense to me.

There's a local (western) futon place near me that I buy matresses from, it's a big sack full of nice cotton essentially. I made a frame for it and that's what I sleep on, it's pretty comfy.

>> No.27912527

probably comfier than sleeping on the floor like i do

>> No.27915045

Thinking about investing in a complete wool shikibuton as in no cotton or foam just wool, anyone have any experience with these? House of Wool is the only place I can find one, others are encased in cotton which might be okay but I'm looking for maximum breathability.

>> No.27922721

https://www.haikudesigns.com/raku-tatami-platform-bed
https://futonland.com/product/tatami-bed-frame

What do you nerds think? Is haiku one overpriced or is prestige just cheap? I think I like that it's higher and comes in a nicer colour imo, but not sure if its a bad buy.

>> No.27926918

>>27701260
If you aren't a fatass, its better for you. It might not be comfy till you adjust, but eventually you will probably prefer it. Its definitely better for your back.

I don't faff about with an under tatami, since I always put mine away each day so moisture is not an issue. You won't feel a difference unless you have a shitty shikibuton. One thing I recommend you make sure of is that the outer coating fabric is 100% natural fabric like cotton. This is vital for breath-ability and longevity. Also a good idea to make sure the linens are all natural as well.

You don't need a lot of fancy accoutrements like these hyper weebs are saying. My jp apartment has only vinyl flooring and it feels just fine to sleep on. A modern shikibuton has lots of different layers and tech to be to comfy. Mine cost about $80-$100 usd at AEON.

The only crucial thing is to ALWAYS put it away as soon as you wake up. Otherwise its going to build up moisture. Also wash your fucking sheets at least once a week or more you nasty fucks. A good outdoor airing on a sunny day over a rail or something is good to freshen it up, but it hasn't been as crucial as a lot of anons suggest. Maybe it is for less modern ones.

>> No.27927090

>>27912527
Anon...

>> No.27982528

Bumping for interest.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action