[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 22 KB, 480x350, editorv1_0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21676661 No.21676661 [Reply] [Original]

>Latest Release (0.502e13):
https://mega.nz/#!Q8wlyYob!QVfDM2bMAIVrWHknhgPEwxnF0quaAFpHqjmXh9EYpg4
>Latest Map Editor (v1.0)
https://mega.nz/#!ZoI2mSZC!pLOQ61-JiZBGsy3Xt4C3RWz52CKqASlvQ-QmzHTmIsU
>Latest Source (0.502e13, MapEditor v1):
https://mega.nz/#!okB2XIhB!5xN5E5AM6qQdLEsxa7nD0Mbw3rurDYiY9DemtfooouE

>What this is:
Shanghai.EXE was a Touhou-themed Megaman Battle Network clone.
Then the original developer got a C&D from Capcom and shut everything down, just before it was completed.
Luckily, someone leaked a donor-wall demo build, and the whole thing was made in C#, which meant it could be decompiled.
This is a modified/translated version of that demo build, along with a handful of bugfixes.
The end goal is to finish the rest of the game, which off the top of my head involves the final battle, the postgame areas/bosses, some sidequests, and netplay.

>New stuff since last thread:
Finished version 1.0 of the map editor, you should theoretically be able to recreate any of the games's maps using just this editor.
Usability is a different story, but that's something that can be worked on.
I've got a list of planned next steps in the readme, which I'll be working on between any bugs that get noticed.
If you plan on making a brand new map of your own, an earlier anon suggested the Tiled map editor to create the level images and which seems to fully featured so I won't bother making a shitty knockoff just for this editor.
Feel free to report any bugs or throw out any suggestions on UI and usage, those are out of my field of study.
See you in half a day or so, sleep calls.

>> No.21677363 [DELETED] 

>>21676661
nice, work on finishing the first real release, all this needs is a chip/enemy builder/editor and you would have a full Battle Network Maker program.

>> No.21677477

>>21676661
nice work on finishing the first real release, all this needs is a chip/enemy builder/editor and you would have a full Battle Network Maker program.

>> No.21678541

>>21676661
That's a screenshot straight out of a bad creepypasta.

>> No.21679398

>>21677477
I wish, but there's a whole lot of hardcoded things like stylechange and addons (which have stuff like checks directly in the battle code for if undershirt is equipped) that would make it an absolute pain in the ass.
A project for another day, maybe.
There's still a few things that will need to be changed in the source code like key items and mail (or making them dynamically loaded so the map editor can edit them), but after that, some sort of Shanghai DLC wouldn't be impossible as long as it didn't try to change anything inside the base game.

>> No.21679930
File: 110 KB, 1653x779, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Very nice. I managed to break it in the first five minutes of using it though.
First crash, it didn't boot when I dumped my language files into it. Windows error was "Editor failed to initialize.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
Second one was pic related. When looking through the battle editor options I found that all of the graphics corrupted themselves when I opened the enemy selection, and telling it to refresh graphics while the enemy selection was open caused a crash.

Side note, I've been having problems with work related stuff and illness for a while and I haven't done much with shanghai assets/code since the last thread, apart from the very start of trying to reassemble druidman's sprites. I'm also working off of a different version of your VS files than your current and I'm not super sure on how to integrate them. Even with all of the code recycling that can be done with chips, attacks, and navis, the stuff I made had issues and fixes needed in many places. It may take me a while to clean up and fix the custom stuff I've done, and even if someone else was to try and work with it I'd probably need to do an attempt at documenting it because of the difficulty in working with the decompiled code.

>> No.21679948
File: 81 KB, 1424x657, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21679930
Pic related is a map language file that I think caused one of the issues, offscreen difference is one of the gauntlet strings having a different number.

>> No.21680530

>>21679930
>>21679948
First one relates to the different versions of the source we're using, the editor references the enums and classes from the game source it's built alongside, so it's failing when looking for the Flandre face which doesn't exist in my version.
Here's a version with a bit better error handling to print a relevant message and default to None instead, but reconciling your changes into the latest source and building the map editor from that should also fix it.
https://mega.nz/#!19YkDIBC!4_b_Pa6yKSo1mKW2Ld8CzNk98mGOb5UB4aUKWcc-dCU

For reconciling the changes, I've tried to keep changes to the game source to a minimum and all the new stuff in the map editor so I don't think there should be any major problems.
If you haven't already, I'd suggest putting your source under source control, either local git or using a free private azure git repo,VS has a surprisingly nice integration.
Once you've got the first commit, just dump my source in and it should diff everything.

Second crash I have no idea, I've had problems with opengl and caching/memory that I'd thought I'd fixed but it looks like I just bumped it under the error threshold for my own setup.
Something to do with protected memory access, owning threads, and other stuff.
I've noticed it tends to come up when having a bunch of the sprite rendering panels open at the same time, if you were going through options it might have caused a pileup.
Is it a consistent problem? I can bump up the priority on going over my graphics code again, but otherwise I'm hoping I'll stumble across the solution in the middle of fixing something else.

>> No.21680551

Someone brought this up in /v/. As development moves forward, it might be a good idea to keep a version available that's only translated and otherwise un-changed.
Lots of people want to see the game finished, but there's a small number who would prefer to see the game left in the state it was when the original developer stopped working on it.

>> No.21680925
File: 18 KB, 1158x553, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21680530
>enum, flandre face
Makes sense, I should've realized that given how enums in the battle code have been weird to work with. I never figured out what caused the crash in flandre.cs when I was trying to get her to have a fifth attack.

>version diffs, source control
I've never actually worked with version control in programming, as I had some health problems and some realizations that caused me to stop progressing in my incomplete CS degree. When I'm having a healthier day I'll spend some time researching local repos and try setting one up so I can have my own 'fork', so to speak. Well, that and maybe packaging things together so I can give you the chips and bossfights I've tried making.

>memory issues, sprites
It may just be a my machine issue, but each time I open up the enemy panel its broken, regardless of if I'm using your editor vanilla or with my graphics files. The specific crash with telling it to reset graphics while the enemy panel is open also crashes it each time. I also managed to get pic related somehow when flipping through the graphics pages.
I personally wouldn't require that specific fix as I mostly know how to manually edit that part of the data, but if someone else wanted to use this they could have some pretty extreme frustrations without some sort of hacking guide.

>>21680551
One of map editor guy's older versions probably would fit that.

>> No.21681274
File: 5 KB, 436x49, something sh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thank you for your hard work.
Also, why is this a thing.
I didn't follow all the way through reading the threads but I saw them to the ends of the threads
was 502e13 the early access or the one what wasn't attained because it was removed later on when the link was posted on social media.
Correct me if I'm wrong but there was 502e11 and 502e13 right?
One of which was not yet translated.

>> No.21681290

>>21681274
502 was behind the Cien wall and someone was able to get it from a backer after the project died.
All of the 'e' revisions were done by the OP who first translated the remaining text and then did various bug fixes and feature additions.

>> No.21681313

>>21681290
ok.
thanks.

>> No.21681989

>>21680551
0502e13 is probably what they're looking for, since it just contains bugfixes for problems introduced by decompilation and translation/spelling fixes.
I planned on incrementing to 0503e1 on adding any new content, but the map editor took priority and that hasn't happened yet.

>>21680925
If it's happening on your machine, it'll happen on somebody else's, and I'm not surprised there's issues. I'll start trying to figure out what I did.
For version control, this is one of the rare instances I'd recommend just letting VS's Team Explorer gui handle it and only looking at the git commandline underneath if you're interested, it's famously obtuse if you're not already familiar.

>>21681274
There is another, more complete build out there somewhere which includes part of the postgame, but nobody's come forward with it.
That was another part of the e<number> format, since I was still hoping the real 0503 or 0504 would come out and I could port my changes over.
Obviously that hasn't happened and I doubt it will, so moving on to 0503e1 should be fine since there's never going to be an original 0503
The "e" just stands for English.

>> No.21682012

>>21681989
>0503 or 0504
That's the one I was thinking about.
502 was the only one that was nabbed in time
503 and 504 were lost in action.
Thanks for the explanation.

>> No.21686139

No progress on fixing the rendering, but it feels like I'm missing something big and doing something fundamentally wrong, so if I track down what that is it should fix a bunch of things at once.

I'll have to find what I'm doing wrong though, but loading <31mb of spritesheets should not be causing memory errors.

>> No.21689447

>>21686139
will this fix the blur that appears on some computers?

>> No.21689760

>>21689447
Not just yet, this is a map editor fix rather than a game fix, but this is something I would need to fix before I can think of swapping out the game's engine anways.
Only major thing left before I do that is text rendering, and I'm planning on putting that in for dialogue preview.

>> No.21692958

>>21676661
.exe

>> No.21695816

>>21692958
Oops, got into that habit working with the code, no periods allowed.

>> No.21695845

>>21676661
>The end goal is to finish the rest of the game

That's amazing

>> No.21695905
File: 101 KB, 245x316, 1536713900350.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Much like Battle Network, the saddest thing about the discontinuation is prolly not being able to see more girls as NetNavi or NetOps.
Imagine Okina as a NetNavi a la Gateman, complete with the broken as fuck Gater (Door) PA.

Regardless, thanks for all you've done.

>> No.21696504

>>21695905
I would actually love to see every character redone as both a navi and operator, though obviously that will never be done.

>> No.21700365

Shamelessly kicking this back up. Holy fuck calm down /jp/ you're too quick.

>> No.21702400

>>21686139
Think I've got it, it's a dumb one.
Based on a throwaway line in some guide, I'm using a single "3d texture" to store all the spritesheets, using Z as the index of the spritesheet.
This completely bypasses OpenGL's built-in memory handling for separate textures, and forces all the used spritesheets to be stored together in one chunk.
Not realizing this, I implemented my own memory handling for what goes into that chunk, which got it "working" but obviously has problems.
It seems to make sense and explains a few things, but I haven't touched my own code yet so it could be something else I'm doing completely wrong.
Time to unravel some spaghetti.

>> No.21702928

Based, senpai. You do great work.

>> No.21705880
File: 95 KB, 929x667, why.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21686139
>>21702400
Thankfully, good abstraction made it easy to make major changes to the graphics code without needing to overhaul everything else, and once the new graphics stuff clicked, 99% of everything else worked exactly as it used to.
The problem is this 1%, I didn't even think it was possible to screw up like this.

>> No.21709598

>>21680925
>>21705880
Done.
>Editor
https://mega.nz/#!8s51UICS!8u93TW0LPTPbes6ClMz7HIRhP-BnOC_0kgoogo-avGc
>Source
https://mega.nz/#!495hiQBZ!bGlg660M1C4lig93tTggif4F8ZI7CEVicmFLI1CgZZI
Should fix the sprite issues, and a bug I didn't catch with battle background music.
Otherwise not much to see since the whole point was to fix the sprite issues without breaking anything else.

>> No.21714398

>>21709598
Crashes seem to be gone on first mess around.

>> No.21719699
File: 433 KB, 600x835, 1563422515560.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.21724577

post more art

>> No.21724585
File: 1.10 MB, 2000x1200, 1552842243774.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.21724603

>>21724577
post more lewds

>> No.21724829

>>21724603
lewd mod when?

>> No.21724893

>>21724829
>fully animated game over rape never

>> No.21724971

>>21724893
That catsuit on Shangai's unimpressive body is just too lewd...

>> No.21726304

>>21719699
very sexy

>> No.21729273

>>21714398
Good to hear, glad I could track that one down without too much trouble.
Any feature requests or parts that are sticking out from what you've used so far?
Otherwise, I've got a list of things that I'd put off until 1.0 was done.
>Battle event BGM
Currently only allows "VSvirus", "VSnavi", and "Tournament" due to misreading the code, should allow any bgm and potentially added mod/music files.
>Text preview
Show a textbox as it appears ingame when adding/editing a dialogue, will require adding text rendering which is the next step to getting the OpenGL engine ready to swap into the main game.
>Detecting unsaved changes
Standard feature for editors, just didn't get around to it.
>Better display of errors
Inconsistent at the moment, some are detected on loading the map, others fail silently.
>Graphics engine cleanup
Fixed the crash by doing things the way OpenGL intended, but only in the most basic way, there's a couple other optimizations to be made.

A couple longer-term goals:
>New events for credits or other new content
From what I can tell, there's no way to make an object move screenwise up/down/left/right (only mapwise N/E/S/W), fade an object in/out, or draw arbitrary text on top of the map.
Credits would definitely need that, but should be easy enough to add.
>Flag and variable naming/documentation
Right now we can use guesswork for a range of safe/unused flags, but otherwise we'll have to hope we aren't overwriting the "Unlocked ROM door #3" flag with our own stuff.
I've already got a few UI ideas, and being able to programmatically parse the mapfiles should speed things up, but it'll still be a lot of busywork.
>Handling interiors
I'd avoid messing with AlicesHP2 for now, interiors are based on a lot of hardcoded behavior that I didn't want to touch.
I'll have to eventually though.
>Externalize hardcoded key items, mails, etc.
This is an "after finishing Shanghai" goal, I almost didn't include this because it's getting a bit ahead of myself.
With a bit of reworking of this engine, someone with a lot of time on their hands could make their own MMBN legacy collection.
I hope it won't be necessary, and I'm not volunteering, but it'd be nice to make it possible at least.

>> No.21731252

God speed you beautiful bastards

>> No.21735679

>>21724829
be patient

>> No.21735744
File: 386 KB, 1000x1000, 68014489_p3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21735679
Patience doesn't solve something like that!

>> No.21738343

>>21729273
Haven't used it enough to make specific requests.

Though
>Better BGM changing
Would be nice. Does it just reference the files in music and mod/music with the string?
>text preview
QoL, also the game has the dialogue tester, doesn't it?
>unsaved changes
Yes.
>errors
Can't you just have it put stuff into a log file?
No comment on OpenGL.

>credits
In worst case scenario can't you directly move stuff with their X Y coordinates? I haven't done much with stuff outside battle, but you can do that in battles.
>flags
Apparently there is a debug mode that lists a lot of the flags. When I was messing around with flags to try and get the title screen to display completion stars properly I think I was using flags starting around 1500ish or so, because I assumed that the flags referenced in RomNet would be the highest numbers used and added some more to be safe. I think the game is fine with flags beneath 2000 or so?
>interiors
>hardcoded mail, key items
no comment atm.

>> No.21740106

>>21738343
I'll get on those, I've been taking a bit of breather/"planning" and haven't done anything codewise.
>BGM
The BGM problem is really just for the Battle events, "Play BGM" does the same thing outside of battles and I have it taking just a string. If I change it to be something fancy like the sprite selection, I'll do it in both places.
>Text preview
It's a pet project, I've been learning a lot and I really want to fix that blurry graphics bug.
Dialogue tester was a hacky stopgap I made just to test the spacing on the translations and it's hidden in the extra options for a reason.
Now that the editor exists, a better version of it should go in there, but I'll keep it in the options just for posterity.
>Errors
The problem with errors right now is that if an event fails to parse, like when Battle (incorrectly) expected only "VSvirus" or "VSnavi" and saw "Tournament", it would fail to load and if you went to that event it would just be the default single RayCann fight. If you saved, it would overwrite the original Battle with that default, without telling you anything.
I suppose it would be a warning about something the editor itself caused, but it should still be handled correctly.

>Credits
For the credits it'd be best to avoid hardcoding the animations for each line of text, and it'd probably work nicer with background scenes if credits were also handled by an event in the mapfiles.
>Interiors
Besides interiors I think there are some other special object names to watch out for that the editor doesn't warn about (yet).
All that comes to mind right now is "BGMStart" whose events are automatically run after the map is changed by the "warp", "plugIn", and "mapChange" events.
I'll try to hunt down and mark anything else, and maybe partition the objects list more to separate out important ones, normal ones, and stuff like decorations and conveyors.

>> No.21744257

>>21724829
Never/when you make it

>> No.21745930

>>21738343
>>21740106
Actually, here's a version with the Battle Event BGM fixed:
https://mega.nz/#!dsARxKaB!mz4mGNIUe9ppS27Z-JdCfLebwxu7h0Ie75mmPyftTaM
As it was, any Battle with BGM other than those 3 would have been broken, this should make it usable.
I should have done something like loading all the existing maps with the editor and making sure no errors were reported, but I haven't fixed up the errors yet so I can't.

>> No.21752658

is this touhou or something

>> No.21752700
File: 80 KB, 768x432, b1cce202a410065a2a1c13724beaa6bb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21752658
No, this is Shanghai.

>> No.21753709

>>21752700
Put Hourai on the phone. And no I don't mean the stupid rabbits.

>> No.21758459

>>21752658
I believe it is Rockman

>> No.21760694

so, what's the next step

>> No.21761741
File: 496 KB, 859x1220, 7051271.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21760694
Crashing Capcom with no survivors.

>> No.21763774

>>21676661
I've really got to figure out a better naming scheme, especially if I keep making bugs that need bugfixes.
Please ignore the previous versions' naming, they're broken anyways, here's editor+source for 0502e13m3, or the 3rd revision of the map editor, built against the 13th revision of the translated 0502.
>Source
https://mega.nz/#!Fs4B0aDT!-ia6UAdeNQdWTp-xgIPUMnCsOc1VDKzcOs1rOzU_Qps
>Editor
https://mega.nz/#!R9wHBYDB!xVikY3lAxOowwR2L5YqDekB1AiO7gogPveuED6vm8oY
>Changes since last major release (1.0)
Fixed graphics-related crashes
Fixed silently-failing parsing for Battle, ShakeStop, and Interior events
Added unsaved change tracking, confirmation message if closing/loading with unsaved changes
(internal) Added better error tracking, test that checks that all already-existing map files load without errors, led to fixing the above events

That should be it for bugs in parsing, unless there are events that are never used in the base game or my validation is incorrect.
Hopefully this build should be enough to start using without errors while I work on more advanced features.

>> No.21766191

>>21763774
based. do we have anyone lined up to continue working on the game?

>> No.21766518

>>21676661
This really is pretty amazing stuff. But I might want to wait a year or so or however long it might take for you people to complete it. No?

>> No.21768667

>>21766518
We don't really have anyone in particular lining up to finish the game. This anon is simply making tools that would allow it to be possible.

>> No.21768868

>>21768667
Another anon's done some good work on bosses like Yuyuko and Flandre, and I think was dabbling in map design before I'd even started on the editor.
I'll probably eventually start pitching in to help with the content and design to finish the game, but for now there's still work to be done on the editor and engine end, which I prefer working on anyways.
I invite anyone to help out or even just mess around with potential side content, it's always nice to flesh out areas with NPCs.
If nothing else, the editor could do with some stress testing while you play house with Shanghai.

>> No.21776671

>>21761741
Can we wait until they ruin the Megaman se-
http://www.rockman-corner.com/2019/07/rockman-x-dive-announced-for-ios-and.html
Never mind.

>> No.21780009

>>21776671
>Shanghai died for this

>> No.21780047

>>21780009
We haven't even seen the MMBN Mobile game that was being teased alongside Dive yet.

>> No.21780372

>>21776671
Well. It looks better than XOver at least, though that's not exactly a high hurdle. Too bad cause I kinda like the new bosses design.

>> No.21784435

>>21780372
It would be really fucking hard to be worse than Xover.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action