[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 467 KB, 2029x1903, 1510429531565.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19942545 No.19942545 [Reply] [Original]

It has been 16 years since EoSD and Septette for the dead princess/U.N. Owen was her are still at the top of every polls. Is it because ZUN has become shittier at making music or because of fans' nostalgia?

>> No.19942854

>>19942545
Memes more than nostalgia. Some of my favorites are from the latest games.

>> No.19946912

>>19942545
Vampire lolis

>> No.19947797
File: 7 KB, 254x396, 1534811927681.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19942545
entry level will always top popularity polls

>> No.19948062

>>19942545
The amount of secondary retards will always trump the amount of primaries. Tell me, do you think those who think only EoSD through IN/UFO exist while ignoring other games are fans? Do you think those who participate in nothing Touhou related besides regurgitating SDM memes are fans? They are not. This aging population will die out soon and things will swing up back to before MoF's release, before a tidal wave of secondaries who just want cute girls doing cute things came into the fandom.

>> No.19949537

>>19942545
It is becaue people simply love the EoSD cast

>> No.19949550

>>19947797
The real best 2hu is Shou.

>> No.19949680
File: 318 KB, 1000x708, __flandre_scarlet_and_remilia_scarlet_touhou_drawn_by_noai_nioshi__445bff758d140178dd4b20249ed0fc96.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just because new works come out doesn't mean the old ones magically drop in quality. Sure there are plenty of people who may only be aware of EoSD 2hu's, but disliking something purely for being popular isn't a good mindset to have.

>> No.19950203
File: 2.43 MB, 2048x1536, remidie.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19949680
Here are my two cents on the matter: I dislike how EoSD gets a disproportionate amount of attention from the fans while essentially the rest of Touhou gets ignored. When compared to the rest of the series, I cannot fathom the massive following the cast, setting, and music from EoSD have and believe that fans' creativity would be better applied to more developed and interesting characters or towards songs that are more coherently composed.

It also doesn't help that there's essentially a feedback loop with EoSD fans. Newcomers get into Touhou either because of the numerous amounts of fan content made for EoSD or because they are told it is a good starting point, and fondly remember it as the game that got them into the series in the first place. Some of them would move on to make fanworks centered around the game, starting the cycle all over again.

I am not against them simply because they are popular; PCB and IN have casts that are also popular amongst Touhou fans, and many of my favorite characters come from those games. Hell, IN's cast is probably my favorite in the entire series. The difference between them and the EoSD cast is that they are actually interesting and/or developed characters that still provide a lot of interpretation for fanworks.

>> No.19950297
File: 312 KB, 798x666, __fairy_maid_flandre_scarlet_hobgoblin_hong_meiling_izayoi_sakuya_and_others_touhou_drawn_by_baron_x5qgeh__03c547262f9c1ef190d7d3dd26141d0e.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19950203
>The difference between them and the EoSD cast is that they are actually interesting and/or developed characters that still provide a lot of interpretation for fanworks
I don't know why you say SDM doesn't possess this. Outside of the non-character "Koakuma" and the hardly utilized Meiling, the rest definitely have a lot to them, or at least a lot open for interpretation, which is impressive considering that was ZUN's first shaky step into a new canon, and he didn't try getting more serious until he got to IN. This is obvious bias, basically.

Remilia? An enjoyable ojou who is kind rather than obnoxious. When she has her whims they can be bullheaded, but overall there are several examples of her simply being accommodating and a good "noble", such as saving humans, protecting endangered species, being the only person in all of Gensokyo willing to give ugly goblins work without blinking, being RIDICULOUSLY NICE to her fairy workers although practically all they ever do is fuck up her mansion, and so on. All this while attempting to maintain the image of a "devil".

Patchouli? Often appears in other works long past her initial appearance, important in several ways, quirky and although smart, so obsessive it ends up driving her into corners. Also pretty nice (see: helping Marisa in a storm despite all Marisa does to her, openly speaking with Youmu despite her intruding in CiLR)

Sakuya? The only human in a house of youkai, with an obvious anti-human bias and extreme dedication, though she's also quite a troll. Could have a really interesting past for several reasons, and it's doubtful we'll ever get a real answer. That her name isn't even actually her name (it's what Remi gave her) is interesting.

Flandre? Definitely the least developed among the cast who is still a character, but nonetheless the few details about her justifiably intrigue people more than someone like Meiling (who has some interesting aspects, like taking on challengers at the gate, but ultimately is incredibly basic). She's a character introduced as "too dangerous to leave" and you'd expect her to thus show up frequently after the events of her Extra. Instead, she hardly ever leaves even after being allowed the freedom to do so. Basically she's an actual hikkikomori, and wondering about that makes her pretty intriguing to me at least. Fanon also makes her crazier than what she actually is, which is more extremely smug, a little volatile, but mostly a cheeky younger sister.

>> No.19950582
File: 394 KB, 700x778, Dn3WxKHVsAEO7G8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19949550
not my personal pick but tiger-patterned is a pretty cool theme nonetheless

>> No.19951096

They don't even have the best song in their game, which is Shangai Teahouse

>> No.19954591

>>19950203
MoF cast can stand on their own too. Anything from SA onward doesn't get enough love. UFO has the most forgetable cast.

>> No.19954648

>>19942545
U.N. Owen was her is overrated.

>> No.19954721

I want Remi and Flan to lewdly kiss each other while my dick is between their mouths.

>> No.19954730

>>19950582
She also has a maus

>> No.19956030

ZUN dropped off hard after DDC

>> No.19956552

>>19956030
DDC is 14.
Are you saying 15 and 16 are bad?
You'll get better at art or add things to your art over time a non.

>> No.19956688

>>19956030
More like recovered hard after that steaming pile of shit. DDC is the worst game in the main series while LoLK and HSiFS were both at least decent.

>> No.19960488

>>19951096
You mean Beloved Tomboyish Daughter?

>> No.19960860

I've grown to active hatred of Remilia and Flandre lately. They get myriads more content than they deserve, especially if we consider how relevant these two were in the past few years hint: not a fucking iota of relevance
Sakuya and Patchouli get the bullet too, but they are still nowhere as bad.

>> No.19960869

>>19954591
How is UFO forgettable when DDC exists?

>> No.19961721

>>19942545
At least the disparity is tolerable in fanon as long as you're not a fan of the latest batch of girls. And SDM has quite the potential.

Compare canon, where ZUN couldn't let go of his two crutches Reimu and Marisa for a moment if his life depended on it.

>> No.19962736 [DELETED] 

>>19960860
Flan and Remimi are loli.
Patche is Patche. Sakuya is cute and presumably lolikon.
Content will still continue to flow for them. People like them.
It's okay so long as you know what comes for the others. It's just easier to conjure up something with Remi i and Flan screwing around and Sakuya coming to straighten things out as Patche hangs back reading a book or doing something extremely exaggerated for her character if not the usual walking library of Knowlede that she is.

The SDM is its own little group and that's possibly what makes it so fun.

>> No.19962773

>>19960860
Flan and Remimi are loli.
Patche is Patche. Sakuya is cute and presumably lolikon.
Content will still continue to flow for them. People like them.
It's okay so long as you know what comes for the others. It's just easier to conjure up something with Remimi and Flan screwing around and Sakuya coming to straighten things out as Patche hangs back reading a book or doing something extremely exaggerated for her character if not the usual walking library of Knowledge that she is.

The SDM is its own little group and that's possibly what makes it so fun.

>> No.19962932

>>19942545
Memes, Nostalgia, Seniority and the fact that the SDM Group still have one of the best dynamics to work off of for fanworks while other groups aren't nearly as fun or flexible.

>> No.19962983
File: 68 KB, 462x405, __fujiwara_no_mokou_and_houraisan_kaguya_touhou_drawn_by_shangguan_feiying__bc2b22476663c886580c9265998d5eea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Real fans know that IN > EoSD.

>> No.19963121

The EOSD cast is pleasant, especially for those not too invested in Eastern Culture. Remilia's plot in EOSD is one of convenience for her kind, and one that both East & West can understand without much thoughts put into it. Some may appreciate the religious symbols and other ideas more or less rooted in Eastern Culture, but for many, especially those that don't invest themselves completely, the EOSD cast is just more convenient as a whole: Loli Vampires, a maid that stops time, a lazy guard that build themselves through the short dialogue you have with them before fighting them is more than enough to be the spawn of many fans.

>> No.19963152

>>19950203
Look at it this way man, EoSD, for all your criticism, has a pretty solid cast. It has a last boss who actually seems like a last boss, unlike some touhou games where the final boss either looks too cute (yuyuko) or doesn't actually seem like a threat to anything (mito and yuyuko again). As much as I love PCB and the cast, the stakes feel real low so it doesn't feel as important as defeating Remilia. Even played to Yukari, the stakes seem pretty casual. The other characters in EoSD also just FEEL important and deliberate. Not just like filler bosses before you get to the point. SA is kinda like this, and so is PCB. The music is popular because almost every track is catchy and memorable.
My point is that EoSD definitely does have prestige for being the "first" Touhou, but it also stands alone in that it feels like a passion project. A piece of art from ZUN's heart and soul and not just like a new addition to a series.

>> No.19965814

>>19963152
I dunno what you're talking about with "no filler bosses." Rumia and Cirno are the epitome of filler bosses, and while Meiling, Remilia, and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Sakuya make sense from a story perspective, Patchouli just feels like someone living in the mansion that the protagonists happened to run into, and she wants them out.

The stakes thing, I'll give you, but it's kind of undermined by later supplemental material. The whole incident was more or less staged by Remilia to make her presence known, and she practically handwaves it by "realizing" she can just use an umbrella and be fine outside. Hell, if Akyuu's piece on her is to be taken at face value, her weakness to sunlight is essentially no more than a conversational topic to her.

I get that this is likely colored by my opinion, but even if the music is catchy (which I personally disagree with for most of the soundtrack), it still gets a disproportionate amount of attention from the fanbase. Later songs are catchy and memorable, too, but why do they get nowhere near as many musical covers? Is it because they are not as good?

I suppose EoSD feels more like a passion project than, say, VD, but it honestly feels more like an experimental project, like HRtP or SoEW, as opposed to a legitimate shot at a magnum opus, like MS or IN. The overall feel of the game gives the impression that ZUN is still trying to get accustomed to creating games on a new platform, and as such there's a drop in quality compared to LLS and MS. While passion is there, the inexperience, lack of polish, and lack of a real direction to take the series make it feel underwhelming for all the praise and hype its fans give it.

>> No.19965951

>>19965814
>Later songs are catchy and memorable, too, but why do they get nowhere near as many musical covers? Is it because they are not as good
Many more factors come into play.
Just bcausesomething is underrepreseted doesn't mean that it is bad.

>> No.19967253

I daresay the SA cast is much better than the EoSD one.

>> No.19967655

>>19967253
Are you suggesting a bucket is better than Rumia?

>> No.19967894

>>19967253
Rumia > Yamame
Cirno > Parsee
Meiling > Yuugi
Sakuya > Orin
Remilia > Okuu

Patchouli = Satori

Daiyousei < Kisume
Flandre < Koishi
EoSD Reimu < SA Reimu (+ Suika + Aya + Yukari)
EoSD Marisa < SA Marisa (+ Patchouli + Alice + Nitori)

EoSD wins 5-4

>> No.19968759

>>19967894
Orin and Okuu win over DIO and the vamp brat any day, Dai-chan is better than a fucking bucket while Meiling = Yuugi and Rumia < Yamame, so SA actually wins by 2-6

>> No.19971776

>>19962983
PCB > IN > SA > MoF > EoSD > the rest

>> No.19972295

>>19971776
LoLK > UFO > SA > the rest

>> No.19973515

>>19942545
A mix of memes and nostalgia, they're older and thus more easily recognizable and "classic", even though Zun has gotten better over time. Very compatible to Hatsune Miku and a lot of her biggest hits they play at concerts, some of them are over ten years old now and there has been a wide array of really good music made since then but the older stuff that helped establish her is classic and loved.

>> No.19975457

>>19967253
It's funny, because Satori and Koishi have a huge amount of influence from the vampire sisters' designs.

The fact that they're complementary colors to one another made it actually surprising to me that Zun never did anything with the two pairs.

>> No.19975479

isn't flan like 2x as loli as remi, why are they so often depicted as being close in age?

>> No.19976480

ZUN's music definitely became grittier, or less interesting in general. Compare pre-MoF games with DDC+ and you'll see why.
EoSD cast is very solid and coherent for a videogame, it's vampire mansion inhabitants + bloodthirsty youkai. Later games have very quirky characters that feel out of place (like Sagume) or just outright a random set of bosses (like DDC's cast, which is also the worst game in series).

>> No.19976503

>>19976480
Are buzzwords the only things secondary non-fan EoSDshitters can come up with?
>>19973515
>Zun
Who? It's ZUN.

>> No.19976543

>>19976503
As opposed to the lack of arguments from a tertiary DDC-nigger.

>> No.19976580

>>19976543
Buzzwords are not an argument. There was nothing to argue. Fuck off quaternary EoSDfag. Don't you have to Walfas ERP on Discord or something?

>> No.19976631

>>19942545
Dunno, but I've stopped following the series and playing games after touhou 13.
It just doesn't feel the same anymore.

>> No.19976651

>>19976631
Stop coming to /jp/ and stop downloading Touhou images/doujins/music. Delete your collection. You are not a fan. Fuck off

>> No.19977316
File: 34 KB, 244x273, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wish EoSD would stop getting so much hate...
You shouldn't have to hate a poster because they love Rumia, Cirno, Melong, Sakuya, Patche, Remimi or even Flan with all their heart or because they all receive so much attention, works, love from fans and neverending exposure, or even the fact that it originates from EoSD. EoSD might be the most recognizable game most think of, but don't hate it to the point where you look down on anyone who enjoys the game or loves the characters or themes that reside within.

>> No.19977371

>>19977316
I love EoSD but I hate EoSD shitters. Do you know what an EoSDshitter is? It's basically the genwunner equivalent of the Touhou fandom.

>> No.19977496

>>19977371
Wait.
I hope Gen 1fags aren't as cancerous as you say they are.

I don't keep up with pokemon but I think I know what you're saying here with the comparison. I see the bias, but not the outspoken heresy.

>> No.19977636

>>19942545
It's just the theme of the game
gothic-lolita-moe appeals to more people than ZUN's taken on folklore and religion
he's always going to include whatever he's interested in at the moment. There was a hard shift to a very japanese style after EOSD. That's still there, but he's been drifting back into adding some foreign elements here and there again, like seiga or hecatia

>> No.19977678 [DELETED] 

>>19977636
tfw no goth loli gf

>> No.19977840

>>19977371
I'm glad that my first and favorite touhou game is PCB. Everybody loves it and also says it's one of the best touhou, hardly anybody hates it. I've always thought PCB has the best music out of the series but after 10 years, I have to admit that it's kinda mediocre overall. Most of other games have 8-10 good tracks but PCB has 5-6 good songs at most. The cast has little connection with each other beside Youmu-Yuyuko and the Yakumo family. The story is also not interesting. But the good thing is that nobody hates it.

>> No.19977849

>>19977636
EoSD was not gothic or moe though. Lolita, sure, but only for Remi and Flan. The reason EoSD is so western was because ZUN thought it would be funny for a game literally called "eastern" to be western. He said the entire theme of EoSD was to be unexpected. With this, he had a stage one boss with an ability that seems to match that of a final boss, a snarky ice-winged fairy, a Chinese guard of a western mansion in Japan, a western magician who uses Chinese-style magic, DIO, Dracula, and Justice Lawrence Wargrave. EoSD is the only Western-style game in the main series ans is ZUN's most experimental theming project. He made it while he was bored in the early 2000s. The reason it got so popular was literally because of memes. Touhou didn't get out of niche until Imperishable Night and even then it didn't get huge until Mountain of Faith. It exploded right as websites like NicoNico, 2ch, and Futaba reached their peak popularity. "U.N. Owen was Her?" single-handedly drove EoSD above all the other games at the time thanks to non other than that one MAD featuring Donald McDonald. This introduced a tidal wave of new fans to the scene and all of them pounced right on EoSD, where the legendary came from. Then and there was when EoSD became entry level for everyone. This mentality permeated the western side of things too as otakus imported Touhou memes to 4chan and Youtube, with EoSD memes prominent among them. ZUN originally was going to finish Touhou off with Mountain of Faith as his job at Taito was full time and stable. The fandom exploded before Mountain of Faith released thanks to NicoNico, 2ch, and Futaba memes. Mountain of Faith completely sold out and ZUN was taken aback with the growth of the fandom. It was then that he decided to quit working at Taito in order to put all his work towards Touhou. Without memes Touhou would have ended and would have never been noticed in the west aside from in niche corners of the internet. It would've just been another series of obscure Japanese doujin games in a sea of hundreds of similar games. In conclusion, EoSD is not popular because it's better than the other games in any aspect. It's popular because of memes. This is undeniable now that nostalgia bias has overclouded what it originally was.

>> No.19978283

>>19977849
Modern gothiloli material is hugely 'optimized' for lack of a better word, as is moe. EoSD definitely qualifies as part of the paraphernalia which would get polished into what people think of it is now, along with things like Rozen Maiden, Portrait de Petit Cossette, Ashita no Nadja, etc, all existing around that time with a focus on european noble eloquence, gothic architecture, elaborate dresses, and small girls, that developed a huge following on the net (see early saimoes). Given various themes are so commercialized and specialized now it's easy to see how people can't relate them to the older sense of the word, but at the time EoSD would fall within those terms. There's no doubt the memes are what triggered it's popularity, but the right audience was there for them to propagate in.

>> No.19979674

>>19975479
Because they're close in age. They're 5 years apart and both immortal child-sized girls.

>> No.19980621

>>19977849
>EoSD is not popular because it's better than the other games in any aspect.
>in any aspect
It has more fun patterns for survival play than the other games. Probably because ZUN's focus was different when creating EoSD's patterns, which is why so many of them are RNG heavy and involve macro movement.

>> No.19981050

>>19980621
It's an insult if you die to Cirno dude.

>> No.19981174

>>19980621
How can you claim EoSD has the best patterns when games like IN, UFO, and DDC exist? The patterns in EoSD are boring until Patchouli and even then it's just okay.

>> No.19981193

>>19942545
secondaries don't know any other songs

>> No.19981206

>>19981050
her first non-spell is relatively hard 2bh

>> No.19981994

>>19981174
>best patterns
I specifically said fun, rather than best because best can mean a lot of different things like aesthetically pleasing or creative. Judging purely from how fun they are to dodge is what I'm getting at.
>IN
Probably the highest density of streaming patterns out of all the games. Reisen's patterns also involve too much micro to be fun just to dodge. Reimu has some fun stuff to dodge though, along with some of the stage 6 patterns, but not all. Compare the Kaguya's final spell to Remilia's final spell to see what I mean.
>UFO
If I were to make a ranked list of mainline games it would be #2. Only thing that puts EoSD over it for me is that from Patchouli to the end is great pattern after great pattern.
>DDC
Seija alone drags it down massively, but Sukuna also feels underwhelming with some of her patterns. The one where she makes you bigger sucks for example. Up to stage 5 though it's pretty great, with Kagerou being one of the best stage 3 bosses across all games (again, by this standard) and Stage 4 bosses being great as well for some patterns.

>> No.19981999

>>19942545
No clue but when is Touhou going to get an anime with /u/ and good plot? It's been 16+ years. Surely ZUN has gotten offers, isn't this shit popular in Japan?

>> No.19982731

>>19981999
How new are you? ZUN has gotten many offers from many studios to make an anime an he has declined them all. He also said that he would never want an official voice for his characters and that he's anti-franchise. If ZUN were any old regular greedy person then Touhou would have gachashit games, Senran Kagura-esque fapbait games, and multiple anime seasons. But no. ZUN said Touhou is his passion and that he would continue making games for as long as he can, even if there were no fans left. He is a dedicated, honorable man who would never sell his series to any other companies. Bless him.

>> No.19982889

>>19982731
don't reply to bait

>> No.19982909

>>19982889
I'm not baiting, I just really want a 2hu anime before he croaks and there's no way to get a proper adaptation because the creator is gone.

>>19982731
I respect that it's his passion but he could use anime as a medium to tell the story of Touhou better than bullet hell shooters.

>> No.19982966
File: 47 KB, 259x215, 1336952413105.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19981999
>with /u/

>> No.19983093

>>19982909
The story is unimportant. The ideal Touhou anime would adapt a different kind of doujinshi like Suwako to! every episode with maybe one or two for a story from Kourindou and another official publication

>> No.19983096

Imagine getting a 2hu anime but it's EoSD...that would be some major monkey paw stuff.

>> No.19983118

Stop talking about anime you fucking secondaries. It's never gonna happen. Go crawl back to /a/.

>> No.19983706 [DELETED] 

>all these seething eienteifags
Lmao!!

>> No.19983839

>>19983706
who are you quoting?

>> No.19983843

>>19983706
kuso post award

>> No.19983951

>>19983096
It would likely be 3 faires or Kasen adaption.

>> No.19984182
File: 420 KB, 486x415, 1529500575630.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love the EoSD household and I hope they get lots and lots more of new fan media!

>> No.19988762 [DELETED] 
File: 117 KB, 1024x710, embodiment of scarlet boomer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19942545
Nostalgia. I'll always have a softspot for the EoSD soundtrack specifically because it reminds me of my earliest 4chan days. But to counter this I'll always be booty blasted that they have the bulk of the high quality physical merchandise when I would kill for nendos of my favorite 2hus.

>> No.19988904

It's because EoSD is the type specimen of windows touhou games. It doesn't matter how much better another game is because every game after EoSD is a secondary entry in the literal sense. EoSD is, like it or not, the primary Touhou game and no amount of 2hurt can change that. The songs simply become MORE catchy over time as they gain nostalgia and familiarity over time in the minds of old and new fans alike. EoSD is the Namek Saga of touhou.

>> No.19988921

>>19988904
EoSD is the Quake 1 of Touhou games. Everything past that is trying to outshine it, with various success.

>> No.19991055

>>19988904
EoSD is simply the best of all time.

>> No.19991403

>>19991055
Literally worse than LLS and MS.

>> No.19991975

>>19991403
Boomer pls

>> No.19992023

>>19991403
LLS is great though.

>> No.19994323

>>19992023
You must be over 18 to post in this site.

>> No.19994328

>>19994323
Once they set a restriction for having shit taste I can quote that back at you.

>> No.19995655

>>19982909
Go away shit thread-maker

>> No.19995828

>>19991403
>>19994323
LLS and EoSD are objectively the pinnacle of touhou. The series peaked with them.

>> No.19996163

>>19995828
MS is the pinnacle of Touhou. It's an improved and polished version of LLS while EoSD is just a PC-98 game translated directly to Windows.

>> No.19996855

>>19996163
If that's true, then that means PC-98>Windows era by association

>> No.19996952

>>19996163
>>19996855
SA is the pinnacle of Touhou. It has the best of everything. You can't find a flaw.

>> No.19996980

>>19996952
IN is the pinnacle of Touhou. It has the best of everything. You can't find a flaw*
FTFY

>> No.19997009

UFO is the pinnacle of human achievement. It has the best of everything. The word flaw does not even exist in the same dimension of UFO

>> No.19997023

>>19996855
You can't say "PC-98>Windows era" without defining what you mean by ">" first. Even if PC-98 has the best two game in the series, it doesn't mean the era itself is better when it only has two good games in the first place. Windows era games are all good aside from PoFV and DDC so you could argue that "PC-98<Windows era" due to Windows era having more good games than PC-98 era.

>> No.19997037
File: 909 KB, 1000x800, 1456959267190.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

LoLK is the pinnacle of Touhou and the most influental entry into the series as a whole. It has the best and worst everything and it singlehandedly redefined what we mean by blunder of the century and even by the word 'flaw'. Touhou project itself will forever be divided into pre-LoLK and post-LoLK eras due to the sheer impact that the release of that masterpiece of a kusoge had.

>> No.20003312

>>19997037
Now this is what I call elaborated shitpost.

>> No.20006153

>>19997009
Nigga, the entire UFO is a huge flaw. Who would have thought UFO moving around and changing color was a good idea? I can't even remember the names of half the cast.

>> No.20006493

>>19997037
Jokes aside, LoLK is indeed a great game.

>> No.20009406

>>19981999
>when is Touhou going to get an anime with /u/
Please die, quickly.

>> No.20010150

>>19996952
>>19996980
>>19997037
I enjoy IN, SA, and LoLK

>> No.20014481

>>19996952
Satorin is a cute loli.

>> No.20015693

>>20014481
I always imagine Satorin as a teenage girl.

>> No.20015712

>>20014481
Satori is not a loli, what a dumb headcanon. She's clearly a teenage girl, like most of the characters in series.

>> No.20016188

The moon was a mistake

>> No.20017030
File: 116 KB, 529x600, GoMIllus-Satori.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20015712
Satorin is a cute loli, and you can't convince me otherwise!!

>> No.20019262

>>19996952
>You can't find a flaw.
Autism sisters got nendos, Yuugi did not.

>> No.20020695
File: 271 KB, 500x304, tumblr_m0hdi7MvAj1r3zknuo1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19981193
That is the real answer.

>> No.20020787

I certainly don't think the modern themes compare to his old ones, on average. IN literally has a god-tier theme for every stage and boss, it still blows me away how much concentrated goodness is in that one game - with modern ones I'm lucky to get one or two that stick with me.
Not that they don't sound nice, just not "i need to consume every arrange ever made of it" nice.

As for EOSD'd popularity, apart from the various circumstantial factors like time of release, I think the whole setting is the most easily accessible, you take one look at it and basically know what it's all about, the plot is straight-forward, you go into a cool big vampire vastle and beat up the inhabitants one by one. In other games the bosses often don't even have a relation to one another, and that makes all the difference in how easy it is to create fan content for it.

>> No.20020881
File: 28 KB, 452x524, insomnia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19942545
I think it's because EoSD is the entry game for most people into the series and if they never venture out further they don't really know themes from any of the other games. U.N. Owen was her is also used a lot in arrangements and MADs so people know it for its meme value.

I don't think either of them is a bad theme nor do I think EoSD is a particularly bad game and hating on it just because it's popular is dumb.
I do think it's a shame however that other, in my opinion, good themes such as Chinese Tea and Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood are overlooked (though I do believe they still place rather high up in the polls).

As for him becoming shittier at music, I don't think so, I think his style has just changed and maybe the majority, myself included, prefer the old ZUN style. Not that anyone asked, but my personal favourite themes come from IN and MoF (MS does have some really nice themes too).

>> No.20020900

>>19942545
I have a soft spot for those songs because they typically result in the song sounding dark, and I prefer songs like that. See: EastNewSound's 'psytrance' arranges of the two songs, featuring nayuta.

>> No.20020971
File: 75 KB, 292x612, realsatori.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20017030
Nice headcanon. And nice shitty artist who drew almost everyone in that book as shitty pedobait.

>> No.20021090
File: 1.44 MB, 818x1454, 66721096_p0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love a lot of other characters but SDM are simply the best. They are pretty much what made Touhou so big.

>> No.20021113

>>20020900
Heh, when I read the first half of your sentence I thought of that ESN remi song.

>> No.20021123

>>20021090
Nice shit opinion. The SDM shitters were made popular through memes, not because they're the 'best' characters, as various posts in this very thread have pointed out.

>> No.20021321

>>20021123
Your mom's just a meme.

>> No.20022877

>>20020971
Nice shitty artist who drew almost everyone in that book without breasts at all

>> No.20027490

>>20022877
I can't see how is that a bad thing.

>> No.20027549

>>20022877
That picture depicts Satori with breasts though.

>> No.20027561

>>20027549
That's why its wrong.

>> No.20027588

>>20027561
It's official art.

>> No.20027601

>>20027588
This is also official art. >>20017030

>> No.20027617

>>20021123
Popularity has nothing to do with quality. Even early on I made a post about why they aren't simplistic characters.

>> No.20027652

>>20027601
So, you see now. "Official" art contradicts with one another. No, those both those guest fan artists' headcanons do not apply to Satori. She is a teenager, not a retarded loli or a cow-titted shortstack.

>> No.20027687

>>20027652
Teenagers can be both of those things, especially in animu.

>> No.20027704
File: 385 KB, 1980x1400, Ain&amp;#039;t War Hell.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20027687
Are you seriously, unironically referring to Touhou as anime and...
>animu
You have to go back.

>> No.20027714
File: 26 KB, 419x296, 1476343469081.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20027687
>animu

>> No.20027744

>>20027704
>>20027714
gomenasaigozaimasu, I meant to say mango desu

>> No.20027762
File: 276 KB, 708x1000, 1536813421817.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20027652
>She is a teenager
That's a compromise I could make.

As long as she is petite and frail.
Can't compete with the tummy tho.

>> No.20027897

>>20027762
5'2

>> No.20029878

>>20027652
The Satori's loli part is probably from her shipping with Remilia.

>> No.20029975
File: 566 KB, 960x1280, 1517935787596.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reading all these explanations has been wonderful. I'm posting from my ps3 so I can't write a lot without taking half an hour But what I must say is even though I don't like to admit it, EoSD has a cast that boosts each other to create a memorable story. LoLK does this too. It's hard to explain, but dynamics are important. If DDC or Ten Desires had the entire cast knowing everyone else, I think they would fare better. Next I must say that although EoSD , PCB, & IN have the best soundtracks, Sekibanki's theme is fucking amazing, even though I generally dislike all rock/metal music unless it's shoegaze/dreampop. Finally, Native faith is Zun's rasion d'etre.
>tl;dr go listen to Sekibanki's theme right now for 1 hour if you haven't already. Music must grow on a person. EoSD soundtrack simply has hooks that give it a leg up over other amazing songs, without hooks.

>> No.20031889

>>20029975
>Zun
Literally fucking WHO? It's ZUN.
>native faith is ZUN's raison d'etre
lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqfoG3gz2q8

>> No.20032272

>>20027897
In real units please.

>> No.20032468

>>20032272
You got a loicense for dat dere loli porn?

>> No.20032469

>>20032272
5'2''

>> No.20034267

>>20032272
Womanlet

>> No.20034357

>>20029975
In my opinion TD and UFO are ZUN's best soundtracks, with MoF a close third
Other games might have more standout songs, but they're the most consistent, thematic, and pleasant to listen to

>> No.20040334

Funny.
I mention Satorinrin and everyone discuss Satorinrin.
What about Rin?

>> No.20040796
File: 206 KB, 703x1000, 1523317954899.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20040334
She's a nice girl.

>> No.20042762

>>19942545
>Is it because ZUN has become shittier at making music
Definitely not. One thing I've realized over time is ZUN's music comes in waves as he feels like it and as is thematically appropriate. You can sort of mark specific periods when his music goes through a style shift and he refines it up to a certain point before there is another shift.

To be honest I'd say we're in the middle of another shift. It sort of went something like everything from TD onwards until LoLK and maybe including Dr. Latency which could be grouped up as a specific era. Then with DBOA onwards including the recent games have a much more different sound to them.

There is just a ton of rose tinted nostalgia in any fandom especially with Touhou involved.

>> No.20043656

>>20042762
Is ZUN the modern Mozart?

>> No.20043906

>>19962983
Real truth

>> No.20044102 [DELETED] 
File: 97 KB, 1040x780, real2huhours.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who /2hu/ here?

>> No.20047177

>>20043656
He could be if he makes something as good as Lullaby of the Deserted Hell again.

>> No.20049376

>>20043656
Artists tend to not be truly appreciated until after they are long dead.

>> No.20049405

>>20047177
That was literally just a copied Scarborough Fair. Get your head out of your ass, secondary scum. ZUN's music is as good as ever.

>> No.20053105

>>19951096
Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17 is better though.

>> No.20053583

>>19954648
It is but that doesn't mean it isn't good tho

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action