[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 48 KB, 550x413, beatmania.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1921343 No.1921343 [Reply] [Original]

God, why do I suck so hard at this game?

I can take on 10+ feet ratings on DDR, expert guitar on every song to date on RB/GH, rhythm games have always been fun and I've been good at them. Then this game comes along and sodomizes me violently for hours while I crawl back on all fours asking for more.

I've been playing it for around 4 months now, and I still can beat (at best) most of the beginner songs and the earlier normal songs, about difficulty 4-5. I can only AA and FC songs that are difficulty 2-3. I feel like I'm making no improvement and not getting any better, and the fact that this isn't even the halfway point depresses me.

The game is so fun, I understand it has a difficulty curve like driving a motorcycle into a brick wall, but I really want to master it. Maybe not the psychotic black Another songs like Mendes that look so damn fun, but good enough to finish everything on Hyper and some of the stuff on Another.

Any tips to help a crushed soul, /jp/? I blame my lack of being able to follow two paths (like beat and melody) at the moment. Maybe I should learn to play the piano or something...

>> No.1921350

One of my good friends has been really into Beatmania.
It's pretty good stuff.

But those Japanese individuals who are regulars at the arcades are simply ridiculous.

>> No.1921378

You suck because you lack talent. Rhythm can be learned up to a certain point, but if youre born a Weird Al, you can just proceed to go back to touhou and shit.

>> No.1921383
File: 363 KB, 390x305, 1232016557476.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

related?

>> No.1921389

From my admittedly limited experience with rhythm games, Beatmania has the harshest learning curve. Try to find a version of the game that has a beginner mode. I have IIDX 6th Style for PS2 and the beginner mode is a godsend for getting into the games.

>> No.1921464

>>1921383
I will forever hear "Punch em in the dick" when I see this

>> No.1921478

>>1921389

Yeah, I'm playing on the U.S. release for the PS2 at the moment (which is kinda even more sad because of the more lenient grading on the NA version). The main issue I'm having is seemingly being unable to react correctly to the notes. Years of other rhythm games has improved my hand-eye coordiantion enough that I can READ them fine, but just unable to correctly evaluate the patterns and respond accordingly.

I don't know if it's something that will come more in time or not, after 4 months in DDR I was already doing most heavy songs, and thanks to that the guitar games afterwards were being done on expert in under 3 months. At this point I'm not sure continuing to redo easy songs and retrying ones I fail is causing any improvement, though and that's what's annoying. I'm trying to figure out what's the next step and failing.

>>1921378

More than likely. I suppose everyone who's actually decent at beatmania probably had prior experience as an actual DJ or playing piano or something that conditioned their mind for it. But that's not going to stop me from continuing to play it, it's a fun game regardless and I like a challenge.

>> No.1921498

>>1921464
FUCK YOU

>> No.1921502

speaking of which, anybody knows where to download j-pop songs for stepmania (not anime related)?

>> No.1921519

>>1921478
>the more lenient grading on the NA version
Understatement of the year.

>> No.1921537

I too could once play DDR 10 foot songs (although I haven't in a long time). I played Beatmania for 3 years and own quite a few of the games, but never got to Another and never felt good enough to play in the arcades.

In comparison, I've been practicing playing piano for 1 year and I can play quite a few different songs to the point that people who don't really know a lot about piano think I'm pretty good.

I think people who are good at Beatmania are just born with something that the rest of us don't have. I might try to play the game again sometime though, it's been about a year since I last played. I wonder if having practiced the piano a lot will help...

>> No.1921553

>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emjhDywGXUs Madness

>> No.1921589

>>1921553

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y57snv0G0TI&fmt=22

>> No.1921592

>>1921553
>>1921589

any game that puts out over 1000 notes in under 40 seconds is utterly insane

amazing to watch, though

>> No.1921610

SHITMANIA, it's where you try to catch all the shit in your mouth while being ih the main sewer pipe.

>> No.1921616

I fI were you I would throw down a few dollars on swapmagic and get some of the isos from around the net, the beginner mode in each game after 11 (which has a cleaner looking system IMO) will get you some of the way towards advancing, hell, i=I've been playing for two years off and on and plateaued at 5's, and even that I cant beat all of those.

Sorry but the NA version blows, and the series is dead before it got started (for shame, but pirating is the way to go unless you have some major disposable income).

>> No.1921643

DJ Max Portable Black Square is harder.
Now what?

Also I thought I was in /v/ for awhile.

>> No.1921661

>>1921643
too bad no more of them games are coming out because LOL konami sued those bastards on xmas eve nonetheless!

bring on IIDX 17-whatevertheme

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action