[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 293 KB, 1161x1017, 1371937608635.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11309478 No.11309478 [Reply] [Original]

Patchouli will now read you a bedtime story:

It begins with three winters of wars in Miðgarð. Then Fimbulvetr follows, the winter of winters, with bitter frosts and biting winds. Three such winters will follow with no summer between them.

Then the end will begin. The wolf Skoll will seize the sun and swallow her, spattering Ásgarð with gore. The wolf Hati will catch the moon and mangle him. The stars will vanish. The earth will shake. Every bond and fetter will burst.

Cocks will crow to raise the dead in Hel's realm and the giants in Jötenheim. Jörmangandr will work his way towards dry land. The ship Naglfar, made from dead men's nails, will sail, packed with giants. Loki, free from his bonds, will sail with the dead from Hel. The sons of Múspell will advance from the south, led by Surtr, the flame giant. All will converge on the field Vígríð: giants and the dead from Hel and Fenrir and Jörmangandr and Surtr and the blazing sons of Múspell.

>> No.11309483
File: 249 KB, 552x510, 1359353254299.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Meanwhile, the gods, roused by Heimdall's horn, will meet in council. Óðin will ride Sleipnir to Mímir's spring to take advice from Mímir. Yggdrasil will shake and moan. All of the Æsir and all of the Einherjar in Valhöll will arm and prepare themselves and follow Óðin to Vígríð.

Heimdall calls the Aesir to RagnarokOn the field of battle, Óðin will engage Fenrir, while Þór will be attacked by Jörmangandr. Freyr will fight Surtr. Freyr will rue the day he gave his sword to Skírnir; Surtr will kill Freyr with a single stroke. The hound Garm from Gnípahellir will leap at the throat of Týr, and they will kill each other.

Loki and HeimdallLoki and Heimdall will meet again and cause each other's death. Þór will kill Jörmangandr with a single stroke from Mjöllnir, but will drown in the venom spewed by the serpent. Fenrir will seize Óðin between his jaws and swallow him. At once, Víðar, Óðin's son, will press one foot on Fenrir's lower jaw and grab his upper jaw, tearing the wolf apart and avenging his father.

Surtr will fling fire in all directions. Ásgarð and Miðgarð and Jötenheim and Niflheim will become furnaces. The worlds will burn and the gods will die. Men, women, and children will die, giants will die, monsters will die. Birds and animals will die. The earth will sink into the sea.

The end.

>> No.11309487

I don't like Tolkien.

>> No.11309505

I can't sleep unless I'm jerked off.

>> No.11309525

This is the first I have heard of Patchy being Scandinavian.

>> No.11309552

Man. Modern religion/gods are so boring compared to stuff like this.

>> No.11309570

Why did we give up the interesting religions for the boring religions?

>> No.11309625

>>11309570
safety net of happiness and peace

Norse gods had to be badass, otherwise the people fighting had nothing to pride themselves on.

>> No.11309640

>>11309625

Don't the pagan religions have a nice afterlife though?

Even the heaven in Christianity is just the result of pagan beliefs mixing into the religion. Original Christianity just says that we rot in the ground until we're eventually resurrected during the messianic age. Not as comforting as being able to live in the afterlife with your loved ones.

>> No.11309694

reminds me of that Disney/Marvel movie about Thor

>> No.11309713
File: 274 KB, 1200x1822, 632bb06a7db5cd391b334883b5bf4217.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Meanwhile...

>> No.11309728

I don't think Patchouli would make a good mother if she thinks a description of the Ragnarok is a good bedtime story.

>> No.11309758

>>11309728

She also forgot to include the part where one man and woman hide in Yggdrasil to repopulate the world afterwards.

Speaking of which, wich 2hu wuld u hid in igdrazil wit 2 fug?

>> No.11309770

Who story otaku here?

>> No.11309773

The NEETs have escaped from their exhibits!

Please calmly evacuate! Ensure that your children are safe!

>> No.11309777

>>11309758
ur're'r okaasan

>> No.11309800

>>11309758
Wouldn't that lead to inbreeding?

>> No.11310030

>>11309800

The gods would probably create more humans.

>> No.11310033

>>11310030
Is that so? Then there's no point in giving the repopulating task to a pair of human in a tree. The Gods might as well just repopulate the Earth themselves.

>> No.11310040

Hi, I'm the average Patchouli fan.
I type like this.

l I like Patchouli because I'm a fucking nerd who thinks that Patchouli is as awkward as I am.
I also think "reading together" is a thing we would do, and don't realize how dumb that is.

Naturally I'm intelligent and sophisticated. Don't expect me to break this persona I have unwittingly adopted from years of being a helpless dweeb.

However, you can expect feminine outbursts from me in the form of "cute" things like typing stutters that wouldn't even occur in the speech patterns of a homo with a chronic stutter, and the emoticons ;_; and :3 which also betray my tendency to crossboard and that I only turned 18 last week.

Please be nice to me kudasai, I can't stop being a faggot. Not that I've tried...

>> No.11310038

Why do nerds like nordic mythology so much?

It's really embarrassing seeing some skinny dweeb with a rat beard and fringe in his eyes go on about Valhalla.

>> No.11310045

>>11309800

We're all the product of inbreeding. It takes many generations for it to stabilize and to stop producing things like dwarves and stillborn babies, but ancient humans inbred constantly to maintain their populations. It's just a matter of inbreeding a lot so that you have a huge pool of children to go through and then the children who aren't born with horrible deformities will survive past the age of 10 and pass on their genes. The tree branches out further and further until you're eventually marrying cousins and then eventually it's not even incest anymore.

>> No.11310050

>>11310045
>We're all the product of inbreeding.

That's a bold claim.

>> No.11310057

>>11310038
Monotheistic theology is really boring, that's why.

>> No.11310062

>>11310057
That's even worse, 16 year olds going "religion? LOL why not believe in odin he's a manly man jesus was a pussy", because they're white kids who are half-gay and mad that their mom would kick their ass if she found out.

Is there anyone who isn't a nerd online at the moment? I need help trashing these kids.

>> No.11310064

>>11310040
>I type like this.
You mean properly?

>> No.11310066

>>11310040
Sounds like me, except I don't like patchi

>> No.11310069

>>11310062
>That's even worse.
Why? There's no real reason not to shop religions, as edgy and nonconformist as it sounds.

>16 year olds going "religion? LOL why not believe in odin he's a manly man jesus was a pussy", because they're white kids who are half-gay and mad that their mom would kick their ass if she found out.
My parents aren't religious at all. I have no idea how religious households work, really.

>>11310064
It's a style thing.

>> No.11310096

>>11310038

White people like norse mythology because it's the religion of their blood and it's calling out for them to abandon their foreign gods and return to the old ways.

The same is true with every other race. We're all naturally drawn back to the religions that our races created.

>> No.11310100

If Nordic Gods are so strong then why their people turned to Christianity?

>> No.11310102
File: 23 KB, 320x240, 1375639996302.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11310096

>he's serious

>> No.11310105

>>11309478
>Cocks will crow
l-lewd!

>> No.11310107

>>11310100
Fear for the most part. The whole concept of eternal suffering in a realm of flames, which BTW was based off of a long burning trash incinerator for the executed.

>> No.11310111

>>11310107
Then people were more fearful of the punishment of the Christian God than the punishment of the Norse ones. That proves that the Norse ones are weak.

>> No.11310114

>>11310100

They didn't, they just twisted Christianity to resemble their own religions.

If you compare the beliefs of the earliest Christians to the beliefs of modern day Christians then it's so different that it's not even the same religion. Modern day Christianity is just a mixture of pagan concepts with Christian names slapped on top of it.

It would be like if I took a touhou game and replaced all of the character names with the names of members of the Mexican drug cartels. Is it no longer a touhou game if everything is exactly the same except Reimu is now renamed El Chapo Guzman?

>> No.11310115

>>11310111
Also the church had a strong influence in the countries they were in. It was also fear of ostracization from society as well.

>> No.11310120

>>11310111
Well, yeah. The Christian god is canonically omnipotent. The Norse gods are canonically not. In a fight, it's pretty clear who would win. Inter-series powerlevel comparison wankery all over again.

>> No.11310121

>>11310114
The Credo of the Christian Church clearly says that there's a single God. There's no space for misunderstandings. Saints are considered no more than messengers for God.

>> No.11310122

>>11310114
And also the Jews twisted Zorasterianism which lead to Christianity, and Zoroaster who twisted Hinduism to make his own religion.

So yeah, the Christians are Psuedo Jewish Hindus with pagan sprinklings in it.

>> No.11310141

>>11310121

Tell that to the Catholics, the Orthodox Christians, and every denomination that came out of the reformation.

The beliefs and practices of the modern forms of Christianity are so deeply intertwined with pagan beliefs that they're inseparable. This is just the result of sloppy, brute-force missionary work. The missionaries would acknowledge the existence of the pagan gods when they went to convert people, but then they would just convince them by force that their god was stronger. It never fully removed the underlining belief of polytheism though and these freshly converted "Christians" just naturally went back to their old ways and integrated it into Christianity. That's why the Catholics pray to the blessed virgin for blessings and why Orthodox Christians pray to saints. That's also why Christians incorrectly believe that they go to heaven when they die, even though the scripture states the exact opposite, and why they think that there's some sort of celestial war going on right now between demons and angels.

You can pick nearly any modern day Christian belief and trace it back to pagan origins. There's very little in modern day Christianity that is actually Christian and not just the result of pagan intermingling.

>> No.11310157

>>11310141
There's nothing polytheistic about praying to the virgin Mary or a saint. After all they all exist and give favors thanks to the will of God, unlike in pagan religions were the different deities worked independently.

And the missionaries sent in northern Europe were very strict in their theology.

>> No.11310169

I like Shinto better, but this is probably only because I've read a few of grossly non-canonical adaptations of Shinto mythology that I liked, the ZUNiverse being just one of them. Nobody ever does this with other religions or mythologies. For very loose values of "adaptation."

Actually, I thought about that, and that's a total lie, since the Divine Comedy, Narnia, and Diablo all vaguely qualify when it comes to Christianity. Maybe it's just the Japanese cute girl factor.

>> No.11310182

>>11310157

>There's nothing polytheistic about praying to the virgin Mary or a saint.

They're practices that never existed until the Christians started converting pagans. The idea of praying to the virgin Mary or saints would have been completely unthinkable to the first Christians. Hell, the early church spent over a century arguing with each other about whether or not the doctrine of the trinity was blasphemous.

>And the missionaries sent in northern Europe were very strict in their theology.

>For Boniface and others, direct confrontation with the Norse gods and their worshipers proved hazardous. Other missionaries worked smarter and not harder. Rather than alienate the local population, they redefined Christianity within Norse terms. Since the Norse respected might, they transformed Christ into a warrior. Instead of a peaceful Gandhi-like figure, Christ battled Satan. He exhibited the manly warrior ethos respected by the Norse.

>In the Book of Revelations, a warrior Christ defeats Satan in a great battle. The Scandinavians understood this interpretation since it paralleled Ragnarok. In both legends, the world faces the apocalypse with the gods battling evil. In Norse myth, Odin, Thor, and the other gods die defeating evil. However, the world itself is destroyed with only two survivors. The Christians jumped on this and claimed the survivors were Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. In essence, the Christians did not deny the Norse gods. Instead, they confirmed their existence and claimed Ragnarok already happened leading inevitably to the Book of Genesis.

>Christianity finally won out in Scandinavia. Clever missionaries eschewed confrontation with the pagans and the Norse pantheon. Instead, they tacitly embraced the Norse gods and subtly replaced them. The warrior Christ figure led the charge and the Christians used the Norse legends against the gods. Although it took centuries, the Norsemen became brothers in Christ and Thor faded into the myst.

>> No.11310189

>>11310182
But Christ battled Satan. There's nothing wrong with that.

>> No.11310197

>>11310189

They intentionally skipped over the main message that Christ brought though and then they exclusively preached Revelations. They sacrificed the most important part of Christianity so that they could appeal to a warrior culture that would have seen Christ as weak and effeminate.

>> No.11310206

>>11310197
And? In the end, they eventually accepted the message of God as a whole. Of course the missionaries didn't teach all of the bible in the beginning, they only prepared the terrain so that the nordic people would become more malleable.

>> No.11310219

>>11310206

>they eventually accepted the message of God as a whole.

And then they eventually abandoned God entirely. Scandinavia was converted more for political reasons than religious reasons. They didn't really give a shit whether or not they ever had a full understanding of the religion as long as they could have more Christian allies.

Look at Scandinavia today. Sweden is one of the most atheist nations in the entire world and Norway and Denmark aren't far behind. Christianity never rooted that firmly in these lands because the missionaries did a half-assed job and now the descendents of these people are throwing out all religion entirely because their cultures have no strong Christian roots for them to base their belief in and their old religions are dead.

>> No.11310223

>>11310219
You are mistaking the work of the missionaries with the modern decline of religion which are different issues entirely.

>> No.11310235

>>11310223

The decline of religion in any culture is directly related to how religious that culture is though. Atheism thrives in places where most of the population is spiritually apathetic and only say that they're Christians because their parents were Christian.

Look at nations like the U.S. Massive amounts of the nation are staunchly religious and they have a culture which has been based in Christianity from the very start of their nation. Atheism doesn't thrive in the U.S and it's met with actual opposition, unlike in Scandinavia where most people are atheists and they already cared so little about Christianity that it's no big deal to throw it out the window.

>> No.11310245

>>11310235
Wrong. The people who have no affiliation with religion are already the 20% in the US. It's something that afflicts even countries where Christianity is deeply rooted like Spain or Italy.

>> No.11310281

>>11310245

Which states though? Statistics can be misleading when you look at the U.S as a whole since the average U.S state has a larger population than all of Sweden. The largest concentrations of atheists within the U.S are typically in the most liberal cities of the most liberal states and then you've got entire sections of the country where you can travel straight down through five different states and not come across a single person that isn't a devout Christian.

As for Spain, Italy, and the rest of Western Europe though, just take a look at France. 33% of France is atheist, but it's countered by an extremely devout and active group of Christians. The problem with the Scandinavian nations which is unique when compared to other Christian nations is that they have a huge percentage of atheists, but they have no deeply religious Christians that actively push back against the plague of atheism. As a whole, all of Scandinavia is generally apathetic when it comes to matters of religion and this makes atheism spread through their nations like wildfire.

>> No.11310298

>>11310281
Even if some areas in the US and Europe are resisting the trend is pretty clear. Eventually religion will die out.

>> No.11310355

>>11310298

What about the Muslims and the declining western birthrate though?

These waves of secular beliefs have happened throughout history, but they usually happen right before a massive civilization is about to collapse and it just serves as an example of the decadent and self-centered behavior that a civilization seems to show when they're well fed, lazy, entertained, and filled with a false sense of security.

Every year you can draw more and more parallels between the fall of western Rome and the fall of modern western society. Our economic instability and decline, the decadence of the citizens, the secularization, the massive influx of foreigners, etc.

The Muslims don't seem to be showing any significant signs of being affected by the atheist plague that is crushing the rest of us and their families grow larger and larger while we just abort our children or have one child households.

It seems like religion is going to make a very strong comeback in the next few centuries, but it's just not going to be Christianity this time.

>> No.11310367

>>11310355
There was no secularization during the decline of the Roman Empire. There was a conversion of the Empire to different cults first and Christianity later.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action