[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 113 KB, 630x441, 1025742241.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10889015 No.10889015 [Reply] [Original]

Hey all. I'm hoping people have some otaku / anime / manga quizzes stashed around. I'm hosting a panel and want to have a sort of 'beat the geek' type of thing going on. Any timeframe, show, etc.

>> No.10889049
File: 53 KB, 400x400, 1363791058941.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10889015

>> No.10889382
File: 75 KB, 700x630, yummu_having_fun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10889015
I'll beat off your geek if you know what I mean ;)

>> No.10889644 [DELETED] 

is kono baita proper grammar???

>> No.10889761

Using an archive is cheating!

Short Answer
Q: /jp/ hasn't always been "Otaku Culture", it has had many names over the years. Name 3 others. EXTRA CREDIT: Name 5
Q: /jp/ has had many spin-off boards. Name 3. EXTRA CREDIT: Name 5.
Q: Who was the definitive 'meido' and what event triggered his/her resignation?
EXTRA CREDIT
Q: What animated invertebrate was often paired with Saten spam?
Q: Where was the scheduled meeting place of the /jp/ meetup that resulted in a thread ban?

Multiple Choice
Q: Which of the following starships is the MOST /jp/ related?
A)Klingon Warbird
B)Kortuul Devastator
C)Imperial Star Destroyer
D)Antaran Corvette
Q: Who is /jp/'s foremost expert in the field of computer security?
A)Derek
B)Josh
C)Chris
D)Steve
Q: Who hosted the FIRST /jp/ archive?
A)AoRF
B)AoC
C)Eskopl
D)Anonymous Jones
Q: How many hoops does the unedited version of Hoopdog jump through?
A)TWO HOOPS!?!
B)THREE HOOPS!?!
C)FOUR HOOPS!?!
D)FIVE HOOPS!?!
EXTRA CREDIT
Q: A semi notable /jp/ thread involved an obscure pixiv artist who drew a daily picture of which Touhou
A)Eirin
B)Youmu
C)Komachi
D)Ran
Q: List the following /jp/-related bots in order of appearance.
A)Cornelia
B)JBCS
C)Nameless Fairy
D)Anonymous2007

Fill in the Blanks
"You ____ _____ in _____" (Hint: the name of a popular series of threads in 2008 by GM)
WhiteRen#_______
_____smirk.jpg
EXTRA CREDIT
He makes speedy _____ look like _____ ______
Can you imagine how astonished the Italians would be if they knew that what they were exporting in 1971 was really _________?

Essay (Choose One)
What do you think are the defining qualities of the /jp/ userbase? Do you think these qualities have changed significantly over the time you've spent on /jp/? Explain your answer.
Examine the current state of VN discussion on /jp/. Do you think the creation of the VN general and /vg/ have had positive or negative effects? Explain your answer
Whc 2hu wud u fuq? Explain your answer.

>> No.10891290

>>10889761
Forget the small-time stuff, let's move straight to the essay question, because that's really the most important.

Examine the current state of VN discussion on /jp/. Do you think the creation of the VN general and /vg/ have had positive or negative effects? Explain your answer

Right then. The current state of VN discussion on /jp/.
I think the really large issue on /jp/ is that there's some sort of strange elitism that, while it does keep out the riff-raff of new-timers, also causes stagnation that may not really be necessary. Most problematic is genre-elitism.
There's really no need to hold an elitist stance. Nowhere in the official 4chan documents is it suggested that one must "lurk before posting". I believe that's a philosophy that is mostly dominating the atmosphere of "traditional" forums, and is counterproductive to the philosophy of non-registrative imageboards. [1]
I've seen instances of some people mistreating others for trying to bring all-ages VNs into the discussion, in a somewhat ironic parallel of the commonly-held notion of normalfags that if some production has received a G rating from the MPAA, then it is exclusively for children and lacks any entertaining qualities for adults. One would really expect that the Holy /JP/ Empire, which has sequestered itself from the epistemiologies of the everydayman, would also have purged such frivolous preconceptions, but alas, evidence has shown otherwise.
Perhaps /vg/ is more acceptive of all-ages VNs. I don't know; I haven't ventured there.
I do know that /vg/ makes some silly distinction between a Visual Novel and a "Kinetic Novel", by reasoning that Kinetic Novels do not have choices or branching paths. That's....a quaint way of thinking for sure. I most certainly don't fully comprehend that line of thought.

(to be continued)

>> No.10891295

>>10891290
Since the creation of /vg/, much of the discussion of visual novels on /jp/ appears to have waned. And by this I mean actual discussion, not just imagedumps that would better fit in on /c/. I can't say for sure whether or not /vg/ is to blame, or just a shift in the /jp/ userbase, or maybe it's just that there aren't really any newly accessible VNs that are worth discussing.
The VN general was kind of a bad idea too. 'General' threads work fine when you're in a faster board like /a/ /co/ /v/ whatever, but with /jp/ there's really no need for that sort of thing, because you're just saving space for more Flanfly Saten Asuka daily dose. Break up the VN generals into their respective series. Of course, probably you'll want to group in all of your nasuverse VNs into one thread, and your WTCs together and so on and so forth. But don't just group everything together; that can actually be counterproductive.

All in all the discussions could use a revival in /jp/. Would we benefit from having an over-hyped Flavor of the Month VN like /a/ has with its animu? I think it would be worth trying.
References:
1. " Users do not need to register an account before participating in the community. Feel free to click on a board that interests you and jump right in!" (What is 4chan?. <http://www.4chan.org>)
oh and the Italians were exporting loneliness ;_;

>> No.10891300

>>10891290
>Nowhere in the official 4chan documents is it suggested that one must "lurk before posting".
You're such a fucking astounding shit. No wonder people think you're Tokiko.

Nobody fucking lurks anyway.

>I can't say for sure whether or not /vg/ is to blame.
Yes, they took the translated VN discussion away, and now it's slower.

>Break up the VN generals into their respective series.
Do you recall the problem with this the first time around? Of course you don't. You weren't there.

>> No.10891313

I made a shitty quiz challenging people to name all of ZUN's songs from 2002-2003. Then I made a thread about it. It was really shitty and nobody liked it, so I won't be doing that again.

>> No.10891314

>>10891300
Translated VNs weren't banned from /jp/ when /vg/ was created.
Can you really be sure that all of the usuals from /jp/ migrated over to /vg/ to discuss VNs? Or is it, rather, that /v/ regulars checked out /vg/, saw some VNs they liked, and then took up residence there?

>> No.10891336

>>10891314
Some migrated to /vg/ or other boards. Some just left. Some are still here and learned more Japanese they they did. Some are still here and didn't, and still discuss new translated releases. What they're not doing is making threads discussing Saya no Uta for the twentieth time. What actually did change is that people new to VNs stopped coming to /jp/ and went to /vg/ instead.

>> No.10891401

>>10891290
>Nowhere in the official 4chan documents is it suggested that one must "lurk before posting"
Surprise! Each board has its own respective culture and they are encouraged to self-moderate. The catchphrase "LURK MOAR" exists for a reason and expresses sentiments that are common to almost all boards. It's not so much elitism as it is a request to learn and respect the culture of a community before participating.

>> No.10891404

>>10891314
I'd say most of them did, because of retards going around with their "ENGLISH-ONLY PEASANT" and ">>>/vg/".

>> No.10891420

>>10891404
EOPs get fucked

>> No.10891457

>>10891314
Papercraft isn't banned from /jp/ and we've had papercraft threads before.

Guess where papercraft threads go.

>> No.10891454

>>10891404
>>10891420
I believe those people are better referred to as "shitposters who want the board to be nothing but shitposts and have hardly any interest in actually discussing any VNs at all in /jp/"

>> No.10891468
File: 7 KB, 200x200, you&#039;re a fatass, harry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10891457
yer a faggot

>> No.10891484

>>10891454
/jp/ has a culture of calling everything shit, from whether it's your favorite VN or your favorite Touhou. You're supposed to roll with it, not take it seriously and leave. If people would actually lurk they would figure this out.

>> No.10891497

>>10891484
>/jp/ has a culture of calling everything shit, from whether it's your favorite VN or your favorite Touhou. You're supposed to roll with it, not take it seriously and leave.
Suck my cock, mongoloid.

>> No.10891673

>>10891404
>>10891454
The only time I see these posts is in the VN General. For the most part, no one really has anything against translated discussion on /jp/ but they want to avoid cluttering up their one thread with that stuff. There was even an effort to establish a separate, translated general thread but it fell apart due to lack of interest. The only reason people redirect to /vg/ nowadays is because there's really no place to direct to on /jp/.

So I don't think you can blame the dwindling amount of translated discussion on that. Honestly I'm not sure what you can blame it on. It's like colony collapse disorder but for nerds. I mean there's obviously a lot of interest since the translation status threads seem popular, but for no explainable reason the VN discussion just never seem to take off.

>> No.10891673,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>10889761
A:
Japan/General
Misunderstood Genuises

A:
/bun/
/ota/
jpcreativity

A:
AoC and the Giga Puddi saga?

A:
Squiddy maybe?

A:
The Osaka Meetup maybe?

Multiple Choice
Q: Which of the following starships is the MOST /jp/ related?
None of them, I guess.

Q: Who is /jp/'s foremost expert in the field of computer security?
A)Derek

Q: Who hosted the FIRST /jp/ archive?
C)Eskopl Easymodo?

Q: How many hoops does the unedited version of Hoopdog jump through?
C)FOUR HOOPS!?!

Q: A semi notable /jp/ thread involved an obscure pixiv artist who drew a daily picture of which Touhou
Pass.

Q: List the following /jp/-related bots in order of appearance.
Pass.

>> No.10891673,2 [INTERNAL] 

>>10891673,1
Fill in the Blanks
"You wake up in gensokyo"?
WhiteRen#chilly
_____smirk.jpg Pass.

EXTRA CREDIT
He makes speedy Gonzales look like Regular Gonzales ;_;
Can you imagine how astonished the Italians would be if they knew that what they were exporting in 1971 was really _________? Pass.

Essay (Choose One)
What do you think are the defining qualities of the /jp/ userbase? Do you think these qualities have changed significantly over the time you've spent on /jp/?
-Same shit, right guys?

>> No.10891673,3 [INTERNAL] 

>>10889761
2007 was just a disturbed young man not a bot!

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action