[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 2.36 MB, 2048x2329, IMG_1405.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7146577 No.7146577 [Reply] [Original]

a while ago, someone asked for advice on gaining popularity on social media. The person gave some advice. but one part of the advice was join pixiv and use hagtags or something like that

Did anyone get that image with the advice on it? Or just any advice in general

(the artwork was just to get your attention, and no I don't know the artist)

>> No.7146584

I have been drawing for 3 years and I've got 2.8k followers in Pixiv. The tags are what brings you the viewers. First of all, people searching for art in Pixiv search their sought tags in search. You can only have 10 tags so make them count. Notice that if your post is R18, the R18 tag takes one tag meaning you have 9 tags to go for. I draw female wrestling so my most used tags are #wrestling and #catfight and their japanese counterparts. Ryona both in english and japanese are good too. But if the pic fearures popular character, I dont use #ryona but instead both japanese and english version for the character and their game/series.

The tags also affect if you get recommended in similar works of others and in the recommended artists.

When you tag your stuff, check the tags that applies to it. Use tags that have more works under them. When you search an english tag, Pixiv also suggest its japanese version. If you need to make a pick between english and japanese tag, japanese is usually better but do check which one has more works under it

>> No.7146920
File: 37 KB, 462x630, Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 11.54.53 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

it's literally just tags. pixiv will put your art in front of people, you don't need to do anything else

>> No.7146927

Westerners shouldn't be on pixiv tb desu.

>> No.7146930
File: 34 KB, 720x531, Statse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7146932

>>7146927
Why's that?

>> No.7146942

>>7146584
yeah, complementing this, that's why deviantart while some people talk shit about the site, is still one of the best to reach your specific target because the tag system. Same as pixiv a robust tag system make the users start searching by that, so the chances of people find what they want to see are much much higher, and if you have on of those tags, your works will be showed with the rest, so people that particulary want to look for some topic are most likely to find and follow you and be more "organic" active viewers.
On the contrary sites like Instagram have shitty search methods because you can only search for limited tags that are not, made with quality, they are made by users, so any shit can be a tag, and the search tools dont show you all of the things, considering that is a image app, Twitter is a little better because you can search in the bar for the tags and for words so you can put like "zelda #fanart" and all those count as words, so will show post with "zelda #zelda fanart #fanart" with those as text comments or tags, but yeah, vertical single column is still shit, at least they now have a proper gallery grid for the users.
Facebook is much much better because tags, words, galleries and folders.
Newgrounds is fine, but yeah, is more niche this days. Still you dont lose anything more than a few seconds to upload there. Same with HentaiFoundry because is even more niche but because of that all the people here goes for that topic and nothing more, so the right people are there if you do nsfw.
Tumblr... i dont know.
Youtube.... high potential if you know what to do and have the time to invest.
Tiktok... a russian roulette.

>> No.7147030
File: 33 KB, 452x499, Pixiv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7146577
Pixiv's system is actually pretty organic. Search for tags, get relevant results in a portal dedicated to that tag, sorted by upload time or popularity (if you're using the paid service,) and tons of other search functions. Doesn't get any better than that. The people who like certain tags have the most number of tools available to find you, so any failure of engagement is largely on you and your art rather than some algorithm, as it should be.
It's the only platform I've used where it doesn't really feel like you're screaming into a void, largely because:

>each tag is not user generated, so if you do something like "robot girl," there aren't ten other competing tag like "robo_girl, robot, female robot," etc. Pixiv somehow keeps them unified and well defined. There are a few dead alt tags, but that's inevitable.
>You can only put ten tags on a post, preventing tag spamming.
>I believe that users themselves can remove tags that are irrelevant, allowing for easy clean up and categorization.
>When searching tags, the user can see exactly how many works there are with that tag.
>By default, searching for a tag gives you a sortable list by date. There are other search features as well, like 'sort by resolution, time frame, tools used, bundle together works by specific artists, number of bookmarks,' etc.
Pixiv is great for anime degens. If the user base was a little more diverse, it would be great for other stuff, too, but unfortunately it's suffering from the "demographic" effect. Non-coom westoid stuff could find a place on the platform, but since it's known as "that anime" platform, not many other artists bother with it, which in turn keeps it from being anything else.
It's a shame, too. Imagine sticking to deviantart or instagram just because they're 'more diverse' while another platform is just there waiting for you with infinitely better tags and search functions, all because you're afraid you won't fit in.
Anyway I'm not a paid shill.