[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 425 KB, 997x781, 1655429007001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6575268 No.6575268 [Reply] [Original]

If I want to get big on webtoons, should I color my comics? Wouldn't a black and white manga style suffice?

Also, can I just do full comic pages, and then slice it up for the vertical format?

Also, anyone interested in webtoons, discuss the industry and ask questions. Wagmi

>> No.6575271

>>6575268
How good is your lineart?

>> No.6575273

>>6575271
Just pretend I'm a pro.

>> No.6575342
File: 80 KB, 168x300, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6575268
If by webtoons you mean korean online manhwa about gay rape then yes it should be colored. for stylizing your frames just copy something already popular.

>> No.6575365

>>6575342
There's lots of action and scifi stuff on webtoons. "Seed" is one of my absoltue favorite dystopic sci-fi comics. "Bastard" and "Sweet Home" are great psychological thrillers, and "Escape Room" is a great horror series. There's lots of variety if you're willing to look.

I'm almost certain all the bitterness against webtoons comes from failed writers / artists, but the platform is currently one of the best opportunities for no name artists to self-publish and make something of themselves.

Publishers are dead. Long Live the Internet.

>> No.6575385

>>6575365
Not OP and I'd be willing to stomach the format of webtoons, in the end if people read shit on tablets and phones, so be it, it's just a format, but the tone and themes are so fucking alien, man. It's not even like Japanese manga where you can sorta relate because a lot of manga esp. action borrows tropes from the West. In the webtoon shit it's just pure, alien Asian mindset and values and everything. Like the characters talk and act and it all feels extremely unnatural to me. If I have to do something for an audience this distant from me I have zero chances, I could draw like a God and nothing would change

>> No.6575487

>>6575268
>If I want to get big on webtoons, should I color my comics? Wouldn't a black and white manga style suffice?
I do this. I don't think the algorithm likes black and white at all, and readers seem to expect color.
>Also, can I just do full comic pages, and then slice it up for the vertical format?
This is what I do. I used to just post full comic pages but they're usually too hard to read on Webtoon. With recent releases I started reformatting them for scroll. It seems worth it.

>> No.6575514
File: 29 KB, 220x325, I+dont+see+that+hand+petting+that+dog+_a54d0eb9582ee7d2c94383acc18703df.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6575268
Yup.
Webcomic culture expects everything to be colored which has the effect of having little panels uploaded due to the amount of effort required

But please do bear in mind that webtoons is NOT a good place to get big.

They are known for many vile practices like
1. If you sign the contract, they own your IP
2. You are required to post as many as 40+panels every month
3. Monetary revenue is heavily not in favor of you

In one of their posts, they outright stated that "their artists are doing it just for fun" which clearly shows that they see the artists on their site as not employees worth caring about.

Just use webtoons as a place to gather exposure and nothing more.

>> No.6575517

I've been considering making a webcomic, but i run into this block of "that sounds very derivative" and "what do i even do to start"
is it like... a "just draw" thing or does writing and planning comics require some technical skill i'm not seeing?

>> No.6575531

>>6575514
What's the alternative? Is toomics, tapas, or medibang plus worth it? What traditional publishers are open to complete unknown artists?

>> No.6575539

>>6575342
>that pic
I can never take these kind of uke design seriously.
Legit got this urged to kill it, like putting down a injured animal, just end it's misery already.

>> No.6575546

>>6575531
Use all of them.
Diversify.

Pixiv Fanbox is what I use

>> No.6576264

>>6575517
>does writing and planning comics require some technical skill i'm not seeing
Oh boy. Yes!
I'm originally a writer and yes, fucking yes
Writing is not like art where you can just get better over time and no one would care

If you don't plan out the major plot points from the very start, then it is guaranteed that your story would go off the rails after creating one plot hole after another. And boy would your reader shit on you really damn hard

Watch and read some tutorials on it

>> No.6576267

>>6575517
But please do bear in mind that, in the end, the best teacher would still be experience

You would make a lot of mistakes and take it with your face held up high.
Success stands upon failures. The more failures, the higher you go

>> No.6576394

>>6576264
>>6576267
Got it. I'll spend some time practicing and researching for something shorter then. Thank you!

>> No.6576406
File: 58 KB, 345x587, 1542906030954.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6575517
Everyone has a different method.
If suggest finding a theme you want to write around, see how you can spin it into narrative and some characters and find a starting and ending point. From there you can try to fit cool ideas/scenes you had in between. That's how I do it anyways. Don't be afraid to scrap and do wildly different drafts, and look and try to analyse different comics you love to understand how they got you invested in the story.
As a rule, people care about characters first, and worldbuilding second. If they don't care about yiur characters they won't get invested or give a fuck about the intrigue, magic system or whatever u might have spent ages cooking.

>> No.6576656

>>6575385
>Not OP and I'd be willing to stomach the format of webtoons, in the end if people read shit on tablets and phones, so be it, it's just a format, but the tone and themes are so fucking alien, man. It's not even like Japanese manga where you can sorta relate because a lot of manga esp. action borrows tropes from the West. In the webtoon shit it's just pure, alien Asian mindset and values and everything. Like the characters talk and act and it all feels extremely unnatural to me. If I have to do something for an audience this distant from me I have zero chances, I could draw like a God and nothing would change
I think thats because of 2 factors:
Factor one: The translations are dogshit, and loose all feeling.

Factor two: A lot of korean webtoons have generic settings and gimmicks. Like there's a million different otome self inserts (There are a lot of unique korean webtoons but they are less common.).

>> No.6576663

>>6575268
>If I want to get big on webtoons, should I color my comics? Wouldn't a black and white manga style suffice?
Black and white probably isn't going to suffice. Only a few webtoons are in black and white.

Most webtoons are in color.
In addition: most webtoons have shitty art. The artists need to churn out pages FAST. This means their art suffers. NEARLY every webtoon i have seen uses these really obvious 3d models for their background. If you look at any random webtoon you can probably see the aliasing on the models they used, or the low polyness of them.
These guys are overworked (most artists dont even trace the models they use, they just put them in as is).

>Also, can I just do full comic pages, and then slice it up for the vertical format?
It depends on how you are doing it.

>> No.6576778

>>6575365
Yes , it has to be colored stupid nigger, webtoons is a competition. Lazy bum.
It's not manga

>> No.6576784

>>6575365
Webtoom app is a publisher company , it has changed the medium it's the same shit

>> No.6577132
File: 233 KB, 851x780, 1655679466769.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6576663
This post is depressing me. Please take it back. Or, someone please offer a counterargument to him.

>> No.6577146

>>6577132
just go to the page and look at the popular ones on there, he's right, also the plots are trash for mos of them

>> No.6577214
File: 16 KB, 326x311, For+anyone+that+wants+it+_91f5308a76b793657d2c8c5e2a5cfcd8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6576663
>>6575268
I'll give you guys the reason why korean and Chinese webtoons are all pieces of shit

1. The company owns the IP
2. The artist gets paid per panel/pages

No, there is no royalty offer for most of them. If there is, it is often wickedly low and it is better to spam the panels

With this in mind, you can easily see why artists would rather choose to spam quantity over quality. This does not include the absurdly high demand which easily results into the artist suffering a burnout and depression.

But the hardest salt in the wound goes to the damn fanbase.
Korean culture is completely and utterly toxic. If they like something, they would demand and fight for it. I have no idea about the roots of it but it is an absolutely common sight for Koreans to harass artists for delaying updates.
straight up saying
>you are only pretending to be sick because you want pity points
I have already read 2 cases of artists committing suicide because of they fell into a depression that was worsened by their audience. There's definitely more if I look

Straight-up dystopia over there.

If you want to use webtoons, don't take it seriously.
Make commissions and a day joy your source of income. Not them
And never take their contract

>> No.6577237

>>6577214
>No, there is no royalty offer for most of them.
webtoons pays by views.

>> No.6577258

>>6577237
Back then. Yes

Back then, you need 20k/month views to get paid
Then they raised it to 40k
Then 150k
And now it's gone because they are a necessary platform now and don't need to pay people to upload there

I am not sure at the Originals but I am sure that it too is jewish

>> No.6577740

>>6577132
>This post is depressing me. Please take it back. Or, someone please offer a counterargument to him.
Im sorry anon, but what i said is basically the truth.
I'm not saying its impossible for you to succeed, but being an artist is hard.
>>6577146
>just go to the page and look at the popular ones on there, he's right, also the plots are trash for mos of them
There is stuff in the official section that have good plot and art, but even the good stories often have to use 3d models.

But yeah , a lot of webtoons follow a cookie-cutter format. It's mostly the ones translated from korean that have this issue, the english ones don't have this problem as much. This isn't to say that there are no good korean webtoons (you've got stuff like sweet home), but rather that there are a lot of generic korean webtoons.

>> No.6577755

>>6577214
>I'll give you guys the reason why korean and Chinese webtoons are all pieces of shit
>1. The company owns the IP
>2. The artist gets paid per panel/pages
I don't know if the company owns the IP on the english webtoons site, but they do have exclusivity.
The author of "let's play" got in trouble because they wanted to print their comic.

There's actually a cap on how many panels they get paid for per chapter, at least on the english webtoons site.
>No, there is no royalty offer for most of them. If there is, it is often wickedly low and it is better to spam the panels
>With this in mind, you can easily see why artists would rather choose to spam quantity over quality. This does not include the absurdly high demand which easily results into the artist suffering a burnout and depression.
I think the authors also get money when you pay to access episodes early or view ads.

>> No.6577757

>>6577214
>But the hardest salt in the wound goes to the damn fanbase.
>Korean culture is completely and utterly toxic. If they like something, they would demand and fight for it. I have no idea about the roots of it but it is an absolutely common sight for Koreans to harass artists for delaying updates.
>straight up saying
>>you are only pretending to be sick because you want pity points
>I have already read 2 cases of artists committing suicide because of they fell into a depression that was worsened by their audience. There's definitely more if I look
>Straight-up dystopia over there.
>If you want to use webtoons, don't take it seriously.
>Make commissions and a day joy your source of income. Not them
>And never take their contract
I don't know how much that applies to the english site.
Anyways heres some more details worth noting:
There's a bunch of webtoons that felt like they got a rushed ending, and a few webtoons got cancleled and had to end early.

The site does excercise some level of editorial control over your comic as well.
For example witch creek road apparently had to change their plot entirely, because the editors of webtoon wanted characters from the 1st season to reappear in the 2nd. The comic was originally going to be an anthology where each season followed different groups in the same universe.

There's lot of other drama as well on the english site. but i cant remember all of it right now.

>> No.6579399

>>6577757
where do you get your webtoon news? When I do google searches I find nothing but scammy websites

>> No.6579413

>>6575268
>If I want to get big on webtoons, should I color my comics?
Yes

>Wouldn't a black and white manga style suffice?
No

You can start with BW, but if you ever make it big, then your editor will demand colored art.

>> No.6579548

>>6579399
>where do you get your webtoon news? When I do google searches I find nothing but scammy websites
what news do you want more info about? i can search for it
I dont remember where i heard about this off the top of my head, it was probably posts from the authors on twtiter but idk

>> No.6579720

>>6575517
Hey man, if you are planning to study stories, I recommend Hello Future Me

He is the best one I know and he dives deep on every book before making a vid about their topics

Avoid female authors and youtubers. They are plague to your ability to learn

>> No.6579758

>>6576663
>In addition: most webtoons have shitty art. The artists need to churn out pages FAST. This means their art suffers. NEARLY every webtoon i have seen uses these really obvious 3d models for their background. If you look at any random webtoon you can probably see the aliasing on the models they used, or the low polyness of them.

Not like there isn’t an easy solution for this:

Nvidia GPU: https://rentry.org/voldy
AMD GPU: https://rentry.org/sdg-link
CPU: http://rentry.org/cputard

Alpaca2SD2webtoon pieline is likely possible and it’s more than they deserve.

>> No.6580122

>>6577132
Webtoon was designed to host fast, easily digestible trash to entertain gooks while they're sitting on the shitter. The laughable long strip format that dominates the platform makes it impossible to use creative paneling just to allow the reader to scroll really fast and ignore half the shit art and storylines they got in front of their eyes and go next ASAP.
If you have any ambition for your comic to ever be good then you should abandon the idea of posting your shit there.

>> No.6580127

>>6579758
Fuck off, shill
Kill yourself

>> No.6580159

>>6575517
>does writing and planning comics require some technical skill i'm not seeing?
Just ask chatgpt and tinker some bits of the story as you what you like.

>> No.6580629

>>6579720
I've watched him before, and "Lessons from the screenplay", but it's been awhile so I will definitely take a second look! Thank you for reminding me

>> No.6580778

>>6580122
>>6580122
>The laughable long strip format that dominates the platform makes it impossible to use creative paneling just to allow the reader to scroll really fast and ignore half the shit art and storylines they got in front of their eyes and go next ASAP.

There are some comics that use the vertical format in creative ways.
A few comics do these long vertical panoramas of the landscape, but those are also the ones that don't use 3d modelling backgrounds.

>> No.6582494

bump

>> No.6582543

If you want to get big on WEBTOON/Tapas/etc. then you better make sure your comic has a good hook at the beginning and a lengthy buffer to keep the momentum going. Color definitely helps but it NEEDS that hook at the start otherwise people aren't going to give a shit about it.

There's a million shitty comics on any site so any semblance of quality is gonna help make you stand out, but don't expect it to be as easy as just coloring it in.

>> No.6582611

>>6582543
Sad thing is that there are a lot of good comics that dont get much attention either.

>> No.6582970

I don't think it's the best time to do it, if you're doing it to make some money.

I have a "big?" webtoon canvas with the old monetization system I received at least 1k a month, it was enough for me to survive/live, with the new monetization system I receive around 100/200 a month.
I will probably finish it in the next 2 months having now reached the end of the expected 1st season so I think I will not continue and it will be the first and last season.

>> No.6583543

>>6582970
Sauce your stuff, bro

>> No.6583624

>>6582970
Are you the "Badooom!!" anon? One of my favs...

>> No.6583760

>>6582970
Whats your comic bro?

>> No.6583790

>>6583543
>>6583624
>>6583760

Seriously do you think i will answer you?
I'm not looking for any extra problems.

Despite being an innocuous webtoon with no controversial issue inside, I still have haters/complaints for everything, I'm not looking for more.
Sorry.

>> No.6583812

>>6583790
didn't need to be a dick about it.

>> No.6583821

>>6583812
Sorry.