[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 425 KB, 997x781, 1655429007001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6491556 No.6491556 [Reply] [Original]

>be me
>try to become a pro artist
>switch majors to art and study drawing full time
>Progress is slow, despite studying several hours a day
>be my friend
>draw occasionally as a hobby
>only draws anime girl pin ups
>Is improving extremely quickly
>Already nearly better than me
What the fuck, how do I keep him from surpassing me? I'm working on this shit full time and he's doing a PhD in a STEM field, how the fuck am I so chronically incompetent? How do I improve faster?

>> No.6491566

>>6491556
What is his phd in? I have very little respect for phds they dont work very hard and they arent as smart as they are assumed to be. The 1% that stay in academia are probably the only ones who can pull their weight. Everyone else just becomes a consultant or project manager.

Don’t be fooled OP, your friend is probably a dumb fuck who wants people to think he is smart by getting a PhD

>> No.6491568

>>6491556
>How do I improve faster?
Get better genes. You're being mogged by your friend's DNA.

>> No.6491574

U dont really learn anything from art college. Have u seen their graduate works? Draw with ur heart and you'll improve.

>> No.6491583

>>6491556
The hard truth is that you can’t. Learning to draw well is intrinsically tied to your intelligence. A smarter person is just going to learn easier and faster than you.

>> No.6491587

>>6491556
Read the book Ultralearning by Scott H young. The audiobook is in >>>/t/ right now. It teaches the meta skills to learning, basically you need a map then intense focus instead of spinning your wheels.

Increase your work capacity as well. It will force you to prioritize also find creative solutions. It seems like your competition is doing the same.

>> No.6491592

>>6491556
He's improving because he is extremely focused on one thing. When you study art in school you are pulled in all sorts of directions by your peers and teachers, learning all sorts of things that only marginally effect the surface look of your work and probably are not even being taught as much fundamentals as you should be (i wasn't taught them enough in school).

When you are a hobbyist you can draw however you want and improve whatever you want, primarily the surface quality and fundamentals of your work. source: me, ex-aspiring pro who went to art school and am now a hobbyist.

>> No.6491603

>>6491587
thanks

>>6491566
Computer science, something like that

>>6491592
I'm beginning to think he takes art a lot more seriously than he's letting on. Gonna have to get more serious about this from now

>> No.6491611

>>6491603
>I'm beginning to think he takes art a lot more seriously than he's letting on

There's a lot of people who tend to downplay how serious they are about something because they think it's uncool or showing off. Kinda like how Robert Pattinson said he wouldn't workout for batman but then later said he actually did but didn't want people to know because it's taboo.

>> No.6491643

He's drawing what he likes unlike you who draw what you think will impress people or people online drawing something that will get them most us dollars.

Of course your friend will improve faster than you art major ass.

>> No.6491755

>>6491556
Force yourself to draw differently, even if it's difficult or feels unnatural. Not just different subjects, but your method of drawing. If your somebody who loosely sketches in everything then cleans it up, that's fine, but try forcing yourself to draw the cleanup pass as your first pass, maybe using pen or something. If you are somebody who starts with construction, try starting with gesture.

>> No.6491757

>>6491556
>how do I keep him from surpassing me?

>> No.6491833

>>6491556
Step one is to stop caring about their art gains and focus on yourself.
Step two is to figure out what kind of art you want to do, try making it to the best of your ability, and seeing where your shortcomings are.
Step three is to break down those problem areas into basic fundamentals and practice them hard.
Step three is to repeat from step two.

>> No.6491839

Any chance we can see the work? My guess is, he is drawing more than he admits to, because as a PhD candidate you are supposed to be busy all the time

>> No.6491840

>>6491603
he is drawing for fun, he will improve faster.
>Computer science
based linear algebra and basic calculus. perspective is just waterdown projection in linear algebra, draw some quadric surfaces.

>> No.6491841

>>6491839
op is pussy and wont post
bet

>> No.6491845

>>6491755
>your
Underage retard trying to give advice, kek

>> No.6491855

>>6491556
Maybe he's just better than you or maybe you're doing the right practice.
As others have said, you'll have to accept the fact that there will always will be people better than you, at all age ranges.
In my opinion you shouldn't just practice, but you should ALWAYS draw your stuff, and study at the same time, meaning, you study a particular gestural pose, or a specific muscle group, well, after you studied a little bit, put in practice what you learned, make variants, challenge yourself to see if you really get it.
But again, always have a project, a painting, a comic book, some characters designs, could be anything, but never just practice.
If you already do all this, maybe it could still be you method of studying, you'd need to post some of your stuff to have a better understanding.

>> No.6491859

>>6491855
*you aren't doing the right practice.

>> No.6491863

>>6491855
>In my opinion you shouldn't just practice, but you should ALWAYS draw your stuff
I think this is my main problem. I just don't have any finished work. Thanks

>>6491833
insightful

>> No.6491879

Not even subtle ai thread kys

>> No.6491893

>>6491863
To be able to finish a piece is very important, and I say this as a chronic sketcher, just remember that art is first and foremost about self expression, at least in my opinion.