[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 36 KB, 554x554, 81E24918-DE35-457C-A230-C402363A07FD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5164149 No.5164149 [Reply] [Original]

Why do a lot people lose their passion for drawing after attending art school?

>> No.5164162

because it sucks ass and you learn all the shit you don’t care about and barely anything of the things you do care about
my experience of an art school (high school level) was just retarded philosophising about graphical elements, essays about art history and basically being left to our own devices drawing bottles and vases and shit, drawing live models, or getting taken to the zoo and told to draw some animals or whatever
the peak of instruction I received there was handing in my color pencil study of the aforementioned bottles and vases, and the teacher showing me “how to make it more interesting” by literally scrubbing the pigment off the paper with her nails, leaving white lines around the contour in what I suppose could be called reverse crosshatching
I completely changed the direction of my education following the graduation and it took me ~10 years to start drawing again
imagine the only classes you have to be some /ic/ retard droning on and on about gesture and van gogh, then being handed a paper and a medium and told to draw whatever you’re drawing that day, and that’s my experience with art school
university level schools have mandatory casting, sculpting and so on, but I can’t shake the feeling it boils down to the same thing

>> No.5164163

>>5164149
Because you realize what a waste of time / money it was

>> No.5164178

>>5164149
I think it has something to do with the "school" part. I don't know how they do it but schools manage to utterly destroy the fun from everything they touch. It's like they were made for robots and bureaucrats.

>> No.5164181

>falling for the art school scam

>> No.5164184

>>5164162
although we were taught perspective, projections and other math type stuff now that I think about it
calligraphy too
still, the only drawing instruction we received was being taught sight size and measuring negative space basically

>> No.5164212

I think the problem with school is that like 85% of it is stuff that you don't actually need ever in life.

>> No.5164851

Because they do 0 research about the school they go to, like seeing if the teachers can actually make art, see if the course is all practical or has bullshit theory filler, see students who graduated and their work, seeing if students who graduate actually get hired, seeing if the course has ties to the industry it is training for to get internships and networking etc etc

>> No.5164858

art school has ignited my passion after seeing how good my peers are

>> No.5164870

>>5164162
Our art teacher couldn't even paint or draw for shit, every class we were told to just do what ever we want freely, and the teacher always used to say he's gonna go and get some coffee and then never returned until the class had ended.

So yeah thats my experience with art school

>> No.5164872

>>5164149
because they realize they have no discipline and don't want to work hard for something especially since they have casual interest in it, but instead want to play games and watch yt. Doesn't mean that most art schools aren't stale shit filled with begs and mediocre teachers

>> No.5164899

this thread’s kinda making me want to become an art teacher, and not because I want to teach anyone anything

>> No.5164919
File: 434 KB, 2048x1365, 1605674639384.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my experience is the same
>>5164162
>>5164184
perspective, proportions and measuring are the most important things you can learn at school, but you also learn those with a meditator which enjoys them and makes the process fun
>>5164870
I also went thru this, but atleast such artclasses were help in non art school

also if you get into a really good art school, which teaches proper shit, but its not teaching exactly what you want to learn, it will be a bitch to get thru. You will learn to draw, but you will be left with little energy to do whatever you want. And chances are, after 8-12 hours of drawing something you have surface interest in, you wont have energy to draw whatever you want more than a half a hour sketch.

>> No.5165098

I left before they could scrub it out of me

Day 1 they told me don’t get attached to our GPA’s because the only thing you need is a portfolio and all o could think is why the fuck am I paying these faggots.
Furthermore, they shoe-horned shit I didn’t care about into the first year of art studio classss and forced us to do shit we would never want to do. IE video ‘art’ where people fucking record others shitting and put it over political articles or some shit. The whole high-art vs low-art drivel where they’re basically saying a dot on a canvas is worth more than a well done portrait or landscape. In general it’s a bunch of faggots getting high off of their own ass supply.
Legit, I hated every second. We only did a basic drawing course out of the whole thing and it was shit too.

You can learn everything you need to know online, never take anything more than maybe a figure drawing class or two.

>> No.5165144

>>5164149
Because they realize it is a delusional and thankless skill in the modern era and you will be poor all your life while you friends will become rich for life doing practical careers.

>> No.5165170

>>5164178
more like they were made by robots, formulas and bureucrats, they are designed to be just efficient enough and are so ingrained in the system that any attempt to improve it by either making it more demanding but shorter or slower and more welcoming to personal differences will be shot down immediately

>> No.5165260

I tried art in college (or college equivalent in my country, which is like baby's university practice) and I quickly dropped it when I realized most of my teachers were salty starving artists who never made it big and became art teachers to pay their bills. (couple that with the fact our English teacher was an ex washing machine salesman who spoke English in a non-english speaking province, that school was terrible). I ended up trying different venues in different schools, including arts & letters, cinema and finaly graphic design. Only good thing I got out of all of this was a perspective course paired to graphic designs that was boss because the teacher was the first French Canadian illustrator to get international recognition apparently. I still use everything she taught me to this day.

With all that said and done, I will never get how someone can be ready to get into debt for a university diploma of anything art-related. Get yourself.some.private tutoring if you need it, it'll probably be cheaper and less time wasted.

>> No.5165730

>>5165170
I also noticed that all the things that made school tolerable like team sports, art contests, science contests, trips to the zoo, outside classes, fun seasonal projects and everything that stimulates creativity, sportsmanship and being a human in general have been gradually cut down over the years. It's like the educational system hates kids for being kids. It's absolutely evil.

>> No.5165772

i did a-level art and it was comfy
there was only like 6 kids in the class since it was the sixth form of a really academic school
the teachers mostly gave us advice on where to take our projects and or recommended artists to study. if you had a problem with something you'd ask and they'd help you one on one
not sure i learned that much from them but i was glad to be able to spend 1/3 of my school time drawing rather than doing a subject i didn't care about.

>> No.5165780

>>5164149
Its not just art. I did compsci because I enjoyed making programs and websites in my spare time. Uni killed all my enjoyment from that and I just draw in my free time. I honestly think university kills passion a lot of times, for me atleast.

>> No.5166300

>>5165098
this is why I'm skeptical about art school especially since whats happened to the modern art academy, I'm not interested in taping up used tampons on the wall and call it art.