[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 3.28 MB, 3132x1216, Op fix 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4890841 No.4890841 [Reply] [Original]

I suck at paneling and decided to try an edit some One piece panels for practice since its known for having very shitty ones lately. How did I do? Whats some advice for paneling?

>> No.4890850
File: 1.33 MB, 2128x714, ooooooooooooooo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4890841
Here's another one I tried to fix

>> No.4890853

Which one is yours? The one on the right is awesome, a huge improvement compared to the mess on the left. If you did the one on the right, great job, you're well on your way

>> No.4890862

>>4890853
Right is the original left is an edit, I also hope your joking about it looking awesome. Try reading 20 pages of that

>> No.4890931

>>4890841
>I suck at paneling
Yeah it shows. What was the purpose of this? And just deleting panels on the fly for what reason? Do you think the mangaka have unlimited page counts?

>> No.4891016

>>4890841
>>4890850
Mangaka here. Your editing sucks dick. You should learn some humility before thinking you can learn by “fixing” a professional’s work without even understanding the intended purpose or thinking process behind laying out the pages a certain way. Panelling is a lot like “style” different mangaka have different ways of doing it. What matters is that it follows simple conventional compositional rules most of all. Rules which you blatantly disregarded. You sound like your classic pretentious /a/ “connoisseur” thinking you know better than working professionals because you consume a lot of crap but has actually never tried to create something.

Here’s my advice to you. Drop the pretention. Find manga artists whose panelling you LIKE, and start to learn the basic fundamentals of manga panelling, composition, and cinematography. From there, use that to lay out your OWN story and ask for feedback on your drafts. We have an active thread focused entirely on manga, you should be posting there instead of cluttering up the board with this garbage. Manga panelling serves a NARRATIVE purpose, much like cinematography, the way in which you lay down the beats affects HOW the story is told. All you did in these edits was act like a cunt thinking you know better than a pro about something you know nothing about. Again, learn humility.

>> No.4891023

>>4891016
pyw?

>> No.4891025

>>4891016
This might be the first time I'm asking an anon to pyw without the intention of shutting them down.
pyw please

>> No.4891035

>>4891016
Pyw. Lets see if your just a Gaijin larping

>> No.4891039

>>4891025
>>4891023
https://medibang.com/book/dr2008302038161350004309649/view/

>> No.4891043

>>4891016
Never thought I was better than Oda or did I say I was , Just thought I would try to edit the pages everyone talks shit about to see what I could do. Alot of projecting you're doing there davido-kun.

>> No.4891053

>>4891039
can this be the new marine if its legit

>> No.4891074

>>4891043
Actions speak louder than words. You’re not doing you’re any favors, and you’re cluttering up the board with a garbage thread. We have a thread dedicated to manga. Ask for advice on panelling there. Work on your own story instead of “fixing” what is not yours. It’s ok to have opinions about something. I’m not partial to OP’s panelling either. It’s ok to break something down and studying it. But it’s not ok to go around “fixing” pages you don’t like when you haven’t even bothered to understand why they were built that way. If you TRULY care about learning. Then start by constructing your own scenes, either with OC or as a doujinshi. Reason I’ve called you out though is cause I’ve seen this attitude stemming from /a/ and “anime critics” like Digibro a fuckton, thinking they’re better because they consume a lot, and “they’re so smart” but the moment they try to produce they make some of the worst shit ever. And that shot just rubs me the wrong way. Don’t be like Digibro. Be humble, and learn from those more experienced than you.

Delete this thread, head over to the manga thread. And ask for advice there.

>> No.4891083

>>4891074
You cant delete threads anon this isnt reddit, I mean I guess I'm sorry if me saying "fix" somehow offended you I wasnt trying to say I'm better that oda I just wanted to try and make something that doesnt look like a chore to read. I even copied how oda used to do his pages pre Time skip for these edits so I didnt pull them out of my ass.

>> No.4891086

>>4891016
>>4891039
Cringe and krugerpilled

>> No.4891094

>>4891039
You need to learn how to fucking write. Your art is fucking amazing but your writing is immature and lazy. Your characters are flat and 2 dimensional. Maybe its just the translation if you're writing in moonrunes though. I know this is /ic/ but it fucking angers me when great art is squandered like this.
If you're just trying to appeal to 13 year olds you did a great job though.
I like MC and his axe. Its a unique enough silhouette to become iconic.

>> No.4891108

>>4891094
In another thread he said that he had a writer. This is just the artist

>> No.4891398

>>4890841
right don't listen to the ass-blasted mangaka, he's being a faggot
i don't think it was a good idea to remove the panel showing zeus getting grabbed by mama, it just removes context
i enjoy the fact that we see zeus getting sliced in half before seeing mama getting run over but i don't think it works right now. maybe if you were to add a unsheathing SFX or a panel showing brook unsheathing his sword, it would work a bit better, but i'm not expert on this.
removing the reactions was a smart choice
>>4890850
absolute fail on this one.
idk if it was a smart choice to remove the map. iirc, luffy didn't move locations unlike the other straw hats, however there are frequents locations switches in the arc; the map could've been there to remind the reader "hey he's in THIS spot in the map"
i don't think it was an improvement to add gramps and the warden before the large panel. in the original, the panels were there to add a crescendo: like yeah it sucks he didn't get it right, however, he's still got lots of tries left. you're breaking that flow in the edit by trying to foreshadow the big panel. there's no need to do that.
speaking of foreshadowing, the chopper penel was there to reference another piece of plot going on, it's as relevant as all of the other panels. hell, if you were to remove one panel, it would be the gramps one, he's not saying anything important, it's just a reaction.

at the end of the day, understand that what you're doing are exercises and you should make your own comics to properly assimilate what you're attempting to learn.

TL;DR
analyze why the panels are there and what's meant to be the crescendo. do not try to foreshadow towards the big spread because you'll break the flow of the previous panels.
do, however, remove the reactions afterwards, there's usually too many of them and they're gay. however, do check if they are meant to link towards another plot thread. if that's the case, don't remove them.

>> No.4891443

>>4890853
>>4890862
KWAB

>> No.4891448

>>4891398
>right don't listen to the ass-blasted mangaka, he's being a faggot

He is absolutely correct. Imagine trying to "fix" a pro mangaka's panelling.

>> No.4891457

>>4890841
You should try editing western "manga", since that's where the most glaring paneling mistakes are.
Go through Apple Black and see what panels need to be cut, resized, or added (just make a shitty doodle or a note in the gutter space, like how there should be an establishing wide shot panel in page X) instead of wasting time doing what the mangaka and >>4891448 are telling you not to do.

>> No.4891467

>>4891457
>instead of wasting time doing what the mangaka and >>4891448 (You) are telling you not to do.
He actually gave him the best advice ITT >>4891074
>If you TRULY care about learning. Then start by constructing your own scenes, either with OC or as a doujinshi.

Critique is easy and you won't learn shit unless you actually put in the work. Making your own manga is more valuable than fixing something already made, even if it's bad

>> No.4891470
File: 94 KB, 800x600, 13333577.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4891398
>>4891457
>let's ignore the guy who actually posted his work and finished a manga
Crabs are too obvious nowadays

>> No.4891478

>>4891467
>>4891470
I probably should have emphasized the NOT in the second part of the sentence. Apologies for my ESLness.

>> No.4891669

>>4891448
i'd say it's fine, give it a go. especially since OP's paneling has decreased in quality. you could say it's audacious and you can stay appalled but that's your fault for being homosexual. even pros make mistakes, however a beginner like OP will make more mistakes. Nothing wrong with trying to make it better though.
like i said though, you gotta make your own stuff to learn any lessons from the editing exercises. i know the mangaka said the same but fuck him, he's an asshole.
>>4891470
>imagine ignoring the last sentence before TL;DR

>> No.4891678

>ITT: weebs arguing about their children's comics

>> No.4891681
File: 61 KB, 1280x720, Mman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4891678
TRUUUU

>> No.4891707

>>4891678
s-shut up. luffy is gonna come over and guma guma puncha you into next week cos youre a bully

>> No.4891876

>>4891470
More like let's ignore the obvious westerner that posted a comic that does not appear to have been published anywhere, calling himself a "mangaka".

>> No.4891991

>>4891876
That “obvious westerner” lives in Japan and has a better chance out of all of us to actually make it. He posts often on /ic/ and always gives constructive feedback.

Also, the manga he linked was for the Tezuka contest several anons on /ic/ participated in.

>> No.4891994

>>4891876
You don’t have to be published to be a mangaka.

>> No.4892133

>>4891991
>has a better chance out of all of us to actually make it.
Incredibly debatable.

>> No.4892144

>>4891016
Regardless of the guy's work everything here is legit.
Stop fussing about trying to "fix" other people's work when you haven't learned how to do it yourself. It's the panellng equivalent of a /beg/ attempting redlines. You'd learn a lot more by just working on your own comic

>> No.4892147

>>4891039
I don’t get it. This was pretty damn good. Based on the replies this got I was expecting some Whyt Manga tier garbage, but that was rather enjoyable. Better than some published manga in fact.

>> No.4892160

>>4890841
Check out the Manga-senpai video on panelling. Almost all Manga pages are based on the 7-8 'base layouts'. These base layouts are then modified to fit the specific scene, but almost every page can be traced back to that original base layout, so it's important to understand them if you want to do proper manga panelling.

Check out the video, then check out your favourite Mangas and try to spot for every page which 'base layout' is used. You will soon get a feel for which layouts work in which situations.

Let's check out the page you posted. It's a double page but it can still be analyzed the same way. It's base layout is the '3-vertical panels' layout. The mangaka introduced the following variations:
- widening the center panel to have one big panel for the action scene, the narrow side panels give context to the scene.
- the side panels are split to cram more information in and allow for more context.
- some of the panel lines are titled. This indications action/tension between the panels. Like on the left and right the panels with actions that directly connect to each other have tilted borders between them, but random dudes shouting is marked as happening unconnected to the panel below also by the use of straight borders.
- finally the big center panel has a small split at the bottom. You will often find sth like that in big action panels, these small context panels are used to give more flow or 'oomph' to the big action happening.

Not sure if any of this is helpful, this is just how I go about studying panelling and I'm a complete /beg/.

>> No.4892168

>be op
>hey guys how do i learn x
>here's my current attempt at learning x but what should i be doing?
>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
lot of irrelevant crabbing, also the samefagging in this thread is insufferable

>> No.4892184

>>4892168
No one’s crabbing on you OP. You were given legitimate advice by someone significantly more experienced than you, but you chose to be a faggot about it.

>> No.4892189

>>4891991
Stop talking about yourself in the 3rd person and stop RPing.

>> No.4892227

>>4890841
Oda is a significantly better paneller than you could ever dream of being you faggot OP. Unironically kys.

>> No.4892232

Biggest problem with Oda's current paneling is a pacing issue, not a placement issue. He's trying to cram too much shit into each page (such as having every character present reacting, constantly). It's not something you can really fix by rearranging the panels, you would need to draw new ones entirely.

>> No.4892244

>>4892232
I’m also sure Oda is well aware of most these issues, but he’s constrained by deadlines and page limits. I’m sure if he had weeks to reflect on the pages and was given an unlimited amount of space, he’d approach them differently, but the way in which he does things is in order to keep the momentum of the story going whilst constrained by the limitations of weekly publication. In other words, he’s trying to cram as much as he can each chapter to keep the story moving forward. Especially given how complex the narrative has gotten. It’s a necessary sacrifice for story. We’ve seen Oda do amazing paneling even as late as Dressrosa, so it’s not like he’s incapable. All of this seems like a conscious decision.

>> No.4892247

>>4892244
>I’m also sure Oda is well aware of most these issues, but he’s constrained by deadlines and page limits
Anon, that's been the case for his entire career. The only difference now is declining health and probably getting a bit bored of his own work.
I know the pace is fast for a good reason, but we're critiquing the paneling here not the writing, and I think the paneling suffers from the pacing.

>> No.4892260

>>4892247
I was talking about panelling anon.
>that's been the case for his entire career.
The story has gotten significantly more complex since the start.

>> No.4892406

>>4890841
>>4890841
Why are you editing HIS panels even though you are the one who 'sucks at panelling'? Do you understand how full of yourself you sound?

Do what >>4891016 recommends and pick a story where you do like the work and copy/learn from that. Doesn't make any sense to sit here and try to dissect someone's work here, especially when they are far more experienced than you. Maybe one day, as you improve you'll come to a point where you will understand why Oda made the decisions that he has in those pages.

>> No.4892416

>>4890841
so this is the power of dunning kruger

>> No.4892417

>>4892147
Weebs (read OP) are buttblasted someone with actual experience came in and rightfully called them out, so they’re retaliating by attacking his work.

>> No.4892431

So many bootlickers in this thread. How anybody can get personally offended by a beginner trying to practice panelling (albeit going a out it wrongly) is a mystery to me.

>> No.4892436

>>4892431
No one’s offended. We’re just tired of shitty bait threads from tourists.

>> No.4892452

>>4892431
No no, anon! The ever wise """mangaka""" (who has yet to get any actual accomplishments or establish any connections) condescendingly shit on OP so OP is definitely a stupid ngmi faggot and we need to thank the """mangaka""" for gracing us with his insight. And he certainly wasn't offended, he only typed out 3 entire paragraphs!

>> No.4892455

>>4890841
what you're doing is completely pointless, go draw or storyboard instead. panelling is not something you can figure out by "editing" other people's manga. the fact that you even tried like this just shows how clueless you are.

>> No.4892462

>>4892452
I mean, mangaka-sans work was actually pretty nice so he has that going for him. Doesn't change the fact that he has the emotional maturity of a (pretty immature) teenager, though.

>> No.4892463

>>4892452
OP, stop being so butthurt. You got rightfully blown the fuck out. Mangakanon wasn’t the only one calling you a faggot. At least take your loss with grace instead of throwing a temper tantrum.

>> No.4892465

>>4892452
>And he certainly wasn't offended, he only typed out 3 entire paragraphs!
not him but effortposting doesn't mean they're upset

>> No.4892470

>>4892452
What he said was 100% correct though. Too many faggot “critics” who think they know the slightest thing about making stuff because they have opinions. He even gave you the advice you needed to hear (regardless of whether it’s what you wanted to hear or not), which has been regurgitated a couple times by several other people coming to your thread. Stop editing the work of professionals and start by making your own stuff.

It is infinitely easier to critique someone’s work (especially with a narrow understanding of things) than it is to create something.

>> No.4892472

>>4892452
Why are you so butthurt? He only ever posted his work after several people asked him to. Now I understand why so many skilled artists refuse to post their work when helping beginners. You fags never listen and all the crabs just jump at the chance to tear them down.

>> No.4892476

>>4892452
Absolutely SEETHING

>> No.4892479

>>4892452
Why the fuck are you so mad? Get ahold of yourself you dunning kruger.

>> No.4892480

>>4892463
>>4892470
>>4892472
>>4892476
>>4892479
Not OP - I couldn't give less of a shit about OP. Retarded /beg/'s doing retarded things are a dime a dozen - you tell them they're retarded and move on. The self proclaimed mangaka, however, acted like he was an expert on the subject, as if he actually has anything more than a single oneshot (that still has yet to achieve any merits) to back it up. 'Are you saying he can't give advice when he clearly has at least a little experience!?' No. I'm saying he shouldn't be a condescending faggot - he's not in a position to be one. Half of what he said is needless seething and assumption, it's obvious he's venting (so stop trying to enable that retarded behaviour.) Beginners fumble around and chase plenty of useless endeavors; there's no point getting angry at every single one of them like this.

>> No.4892484

>>4892480
>not OP
>but let me go on a ranting tirade about why I’m so angry about this post this one guy made at OP
Yeah, ok. Sure.

>> No.4892493

>>4892480
Why are you so hung up on the “self proclaimed mangaka” bit?

What do accomplishments matter when giving advice on a basket-weaving shitposting forum? You don’t need to be an award winner to be a mangaka. You just need to have created works and preferably earned money from your manga work. As far as I could tell, he was coming from a point of experience, not expertise.

Considering what he posted, I’d say he’s more qualified to give advice on panelling than 99% of /ic/.

>> No.4892495

>>4892493
Read you stupid faggot, READ.
>'Are you saying he can't give advice when he clearly has at least a little experience!?' No. I'm saying he shouldn't be a condescending faggot - he's not in a position to be one. Half of what he said is needless seething and assumption, it's obvious he's venting (so stop trying to enable that retarded behaviour.)

>> No.4892503

>>4892452
You know, you’d have gotten a much milder reception if you posted your “edits” in the Manga General. Instead of making a new thread and showing everyone how retarded you are.

>>4892480
Rosenrot dude shouldn’t have gotten so emotional, but “luk I r smarter than Oda” guy was just as condescending if not more. Why are you so emotionally attached to OP calling him a beginner when he’s just a sperg shitting up the board?

>> No.4892506

>>4892495
What do you want me to read you whiny little bitch?
>wah wah, he said mean words to me
Pucker up you little faggot, this isn’t your safe space. You’re not entitled to people giving you advice at all. You should be thankful he didn’t just call you a faggot and move on.

>> No.4892512

At first I though OP was just a shitposter trying to make a shitty bait thread. Now I’m convinced this was a legitimate attempt at getting feedback/critique and the little faggot is upset he didn’t get the feedback he wanted to hear.

>> No.4892536

>>4892495
>so stop trying to enable that retarded behaviour.
The fuck are you on about? Who are you to act like a moderator here all of the sudden? He did the absolute correct thing by telling OP to take his question to the appropriate thread instead of cluttering up the board with more garbage threads like this one.

>> No.4892576

>>4892480
don't mind the naysayers. You are absolutely correct anon

>> No.4892816
File: 431 KB, 611x852, EcBC2bJX0AECnL0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are there any resources that teach paneling in detail?

>> No.4892825
File: 170 KB, 1307x633, draftstudy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4890841
I've been doing few studies where you take a video or a scene which you like and then try to draw it in manga form. I think it's pretty good exercise to study paneling, composition, pacing, page turners and overall flow.
I can dump this one here if anyone is interested.

>> No.4892831

>>4892825
This is a very good exercise. I've done this in the past too. Works great with cinema.

If you're gonna post, post it in the dedicated manga general which is precicely for that sort of stuff. Not this worthless shitpost thread.

>>4892816
Not in particular, there's a few video channels in Japanese focused on the core fundamentals, and various pixiv sources. Ask in the manga general.

>> No.4892833

come on guys it can't be that hard to panel your fucking children comics

>> No.4892850
File: 24 KB, 275x338, 272D1A21-05D0-42B8-8FEF-6990DE14558C.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4891016
> Find manga artists whose panelling you LIKE, and start to learn the basic fundamentals of manga panelling, composition, and cinematography. From there, use that to lay out your OWN story and ask for feedback on your drafts. We have an active thread focused entirely on manga, you should be posting there instead of cluttering up the board with this garbage. Manga panelling serves a NARRATIVE purpose, much like cinematography, the way in which you lay down the beats affects HOW the story is told.
Lol this is the only good advice in the whole post the rest is you being triggered and projecting what you THINK OP’a attitude is rather than what he is actually doing, fag.
He’s playing with a professionals panels to practice panelling and seeing how it works and if re-arranging panels still preserves the manga you absolute retard.
Holy shit you’re so defensive about manga not even Oda would get this upset; he’d probably appreciate someone was using his manga as a standard and give them advice and criticism.
At no point did OP show arrogance, but you sure showed your faggotry. Cool your tits.

>> No.4892861

>>4892850
Irrevocably based

>> No.4892866

>>4892850
Pretending you can "fix" someone's work is a massive display of arrogance you retarded crab. It's incredibly condescending to act all like "Look at how bad this is, I can do it better than them."

Ofc, I suppose it's a little much to demand social awareness from a bunch of shut-in autists.

>> No.4892869

>>4892866
OP is a tard, but current One Piece having shitty paneling is a completely normalfag opinion and he wanted to use the most popular manga series as a way to practice paneling. Was this a good method? No. Did it require everyone to seethe so incredibly? No, you crabs.

>> No.4892875

>>4892866
It is fucking terrible. Shut the fuck up. These panels are memes for a reason. He's just trying to experiment you fucking retard. Its no different than copying your favorite artists animu when your first starting out. Holy fuck stop being so assblasted you fucking weebfag
Also if you're that mangaka, your shit is the most lazy uninspired edgy drivel I've ever seen. God get a fucking grip and stop writing childrens comics.

>> No.4892878

>>4892833
Because it's meant to be understood by children is what makes it hard

>> No.4892894

>>4892869
I'm gonna break this down cause you're an absolute fuckwad:
>OP is a tard,
He absolutely is, this thread shouldn't exist. If he wants manga advice, he should take it to the appropriate thread. The response was merited purely by the fact that he cluttered up the board with a garbage thread bringing all that attention onto himself.

>but current One Piece having shitty paneling is a completely normalfag opinion
Not a single person ITT has disagreed with that notion.

>and he wanted to use the most popular manga series as a way to practice paneling.
This is a terrible way to actually learn how to panel.
>Was this a good method? No.
No, it was not. And this could have been over 50 posts ago had the faggot OP shut the fuck up, and taken his shit elsewhere rather than throw a samefag tantrum like a little bitch.
>Did it require everyone to seethe so incredibly?
No one is seething except the faggot who keeps defending everyone calling him out for being an utter moron. And the responce was appropriate. You learn to use the search function/catalogue, by being blasted in the face for your idiotic mistakes so you don't do it again. It's called behavioural conditioning. There's a reason the term "lurkmoar" was a thing several years back.
>No, you crabs
You seem to have failed to understand what the term "crab" even means. "Crab" is not "someone who is harsh with me when I do stupid shit, but still gives me good advice on how to improve." A crab is "someone totally unskilled trying to hinder my development out of jealousy and fear that I'll surpass them, so they drag me down to their level whenever they can."

Crab is what OP and whoever else joined in did to the guy who posted his work because they were upset they were called out for being pretentious.

Crab is not what everyone who told OP to 'NOT do what he's doing if he genuinely wants to improve' is.

>> No.4892907
File: 57 KB, 345x383, That+hits+me+so+ing+hard+mane+whats+the+_9e1bbeeed84f58017f3c53316fdbf867.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw everyone is fucking screaming at each other because a guy wanted to practice paneling

>> No.4892920

>>4892875
No one said it wasn't bad panelling you stupid fucktard. Learn to fucking read. The issue here is the attitude adopted by OP of "I can do better than a pro."
>he's just trying to experiment
And he was given solid fucking advice by several people on how to actually get better if he has genuine interest in improving.
>it's no different than copying
It IS very differnt than copying your favorite anime. The equivalent to that would be to lift the paneling from whatever manga you like, and use that for something else. Or doing this >>4892825 or writing fan-fiction doujinshi and doing your own panelling.

All significantly better ways to improve at panelling and composition, than wasting everyone's time deleting panels and calling it a day because "/a/ told me that less is more, right guys?"

Such a low effort garbage thread, I'm still not convinced all of this wasn't bait, and you're not OP just samefagging for more (You)s yet again.

>> No.4892922

>>4890841
>>4892850
>>4892907
>practice paneling
>practice
samefagging autist...

>> No.4892923

>>4892894
He didn't throw a samefag tantrum. That was me. I was livid at the conceit some of you have. It should be enough to tell OP he's retarded and to fuck off to the general. You don't write an essay condemning and chastising him for giving an effort, no matter how retarded it might be. Do you truly think everyone wants to be a crab like you?

>> No.4892928

>>4892922
The fact that the faggot OP not once posted in the Manga thread in the last however many hours its been since he was directed there, but >>4892825 who was seeking genuine feedback did so immediately should tell you a shitton about all these "other people" springing up out of nowhere to jump to OP's defense.

>> No.4892933

>>4892920
god you are such an insufferable assblasted faggot over mass produced children's comic. Thinking you are better than Pro's and can do better is a great way of thinking. Back when i played at Penn State we constantly fucked around with NFL shit because we knew we could learn from their mistakes and use it better. There is no problem with what OP was trying to do. Go draw nigger.

>> No.4892934

>>4892831
Ok. It's over there now >>4892884

>> No.4892941

>>4892923
>giving an effort
What effort? What fucking effort is there in taking an image, and deleting like 3 panels carelessly with zero thought put into composition, flow, or narrative purpose?

This stupid fucking thread took him no more than 3 minutes to make.

You want effort? THIS is effort >>4892825
THIS is effort >>4891039

People who've actually posted WORK. The latter of which you've so callously thrown shade at and directly attecked multiple times because you didn't like what they told OP.

Don't go around calling other people crabs because they worded things in a way that you didn't like, especially when you've done nothing but tear other people's work down all thread.

>> No.4892958

>>4892825
>I can dump this one here if anyone is interested.
Please do. This looks super interesting

>> No.4892966

>>4892958
See >>4892934

Take it to the appropriate thread, and give this one the mercy it deserves. Idk why people keep bumping this.

>> No.4892972
File: 647 KB, 750x996, F1659D3F-F4AE-4967-872C-2410AD574728.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Book

>> No.4893069

>>4892972
one of the very few useful posts in this thread

>> No.4893312
File: 41 KB, 600x600, AC866F4F-92AE-4C38-8207-A18C989ECF9D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4892866
>fix
He probably didn’t mean to imply Oda was bad. OP probably just used it for lack of a better word.
Of COURSE OP doesn’t think Oda is bad; he means he’s rearranging the panelling.
Stop being a total fucking loser and being so autistic.
If OP really thinks Oda is bad then tell him hems an idiot but you’re full of yourself with all this “humility” bullshit.
Unless you’re Japanese or South Korean or Taiwanese or some shit. In that case we’re having a culture clash.

>> No.4893618

>>4892933
pyw

>> No.4893907

>>4890841
>>4890850
Both are clear improvements.

>> No.4893921

>>4893907
Stop bumping your shitty thread OP. Have some dignity.

>> No.4893943

If you want to see some good panelling in manga read Hunter x Hunter.
Disregarding the notorious walls of text in the latest arc and the occasional unfinished pages, the author puts on display some really good draftsmanship skills.
He does break the 180 rule sometimes but the character silhouettes are so distinct from each other that it almost doesn't matter?

I always find myself spending a little more time trying to understand what's on the page in One Piece due to the clutter OP mentioned.
I think the act of reading a comic is more satisfying and less of a hassle if everything is crystal clear and the page has strong clarity.
Then again, the clutter in One Piece is part of the appeal since it sends very chaotic vibes and that can work to the story's benefit.

>> No.4893960
File: 691 KB, 1019x1528, Hunter X Hunter v6-050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4893943
What I particularly like about HxH's paneling is the distinct style of that generally aims to put you, the reader, right beside the characters within the world experiencing it along with them.

>> No.4893981

>>4892825
>westerner panelling from right to left
Is there anything more cringeworthy?

>> No.4894006

>>4890841
I get what you were trying to do by showing the panel of Zeus being cut in half first then revealing what caused it in the follow-up panel, and while I can be an effective technique, it really doesn't work here.
It messes with the flow of time. We wouldn't see Zeus get sliced BEFORE we see Franky and Brook ram into him.
That's like watching a sword fight and we see a character get sliced in half AND THEN in the next frame we see his opponent only just begin to swing his sword.
Before trying to pull off any edgy "you are already dead" samurai panelling, try understanding how to make a page flow naturally first.
Also I don't recommend trying to learn panelling through "fixing" pages done by industry professional who know very well what they're doing and are 10,000x times more experienced than you.. You can still dissect their work and take notes of what they did right and learn from them, but don't go fucking circling their shit with a red pen like you're some kind of teacher, because Oda is the professor here and you're still just an amateur. You're not really in any position to correct his work, it just makes you look arrogant and stupid.
Skipping the learning the process and jumping straight to critiquing the greats is so ass-backwards, get off your high horse.

>> No.4894044

>>4893981
Yeah, faggots like you complaining about it.

>> No.4894048

>>4894006
>words words words words
Gawd, just shut the fuck up already you autist. No one cares. Why you gotta go around crabbing on beginners like that? OP is just experimenting.

>> No.4894051

>>4894048
>OP is just experimenting.
They make toys for that.

>> No.4894059

>>4894048
>crabbing
You see, crabbing involves shitting on someone’s work, like OP was doing by thinking that he was better than the author of One Piece.
OP hasn’t posted any original work. He just made someone else’s work shittier.
Stop being so defensive, champ.

>> No.4894065

>>4894048
>Why you gotta go around crabbing on beginners like that?
Giving constructive criticism is “crabbing” now?
I was pointing out a fundamental flaw in his edit so that he could reflect on it and learn from it.

>> No.4894071

>>4894051
>>4894059
>>4894065
>totally not a samefag.

>> No.4894087

>>4890841
>I suck at paneling
>since its known for having very shitty ones lately.
>>4891043
>Just thought I would try to edit the pages everyone talks shit about

Sounds like you base your opinion off of other people while self-admittedly knowing pretty much jack shit about the subject matter in the first place.
And yet, you have the audacity to call your edit a fix.
Are you retarded?

>> No.4894112

>>4891016
>they hated him because he told them the truth

>> No.4895552

>>4893312
this picture unironically makes me seethe
>the old way
god fuck you

>> No.4895661

>>4895552
i don't get it. what is this old way? is that not the incorrect way?

>> No.4895670

>>4895661
yes, the old way is the correct way
but the fact that they're confusing children by giving them a second, incorrect way of completing a math equation makes me fucking angry

>> No.4896332

>>4890841
OP, if you're still here, I'll advise you to try adapting non-comic stuff (movies or vg cinematics) into comic format. It'll look like shit, but but maybe you'll learn one or two things.
Doing the real thing is still the best way to learn, like drawing with a focus on composition rather than anatomy.

>> No.4897108

>>4896332
>try adapting non-comic stuff (movies or vg cinematics) into comic format

So pretty much that guy >>4892884