[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 914 KB, 2070x782, improvement.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4699806 No.4699806 [Reply] [Original]

Art doesn't come intuitively to me. I can't focus on anything productive for long enough to make real progress. My 1 year's improvement looks like most people's one months worth. Should I just give up?
I want to keep going, but at this point I have no reason to believe I'll ever make it to where I want to be.

>> No.4699807

Take adderall

>> No.4699850

>>4699807
I don't know where to get it and I don't wanna start abusing shit

>> No.4699879

Idk if I'm ADHD or whatever, but there's a few things that help me. It all basically boils down to distracting the "bored" side of my brain. If I just sit down and draw I want to immediately do something else.
>Listen to an audiobook
>Listen/Watch Youtube videos on second/split screen that don't need a lot of visual attention
>Listen/Watch to shows that don't need a lot of visual attention
>rarely music
For me, I also seem to have some auditory processing issues, where I need to focus on speech to process it or else my brain dumps out the info like it's just animal noises. So I have highly specific needs, like stuff I've watched before, books I've read before, etc. But at the same time it can't be something that I've watched/read recently or else I'd get bored quickly.
The idea is basically, half of my brain is focusing on the words, letting the other half work alone in peace without being constantly pestered for stimulus.
There's always option 2 as a procrastinator but it's not healthy. If you find something more important to do, you'll procrastinate that and draw instead, doing a cycle of progressing the "wrong thing".
If you don't have attention issues, then I don't know. Do some focused practice where you're trying to get better at something specific and just try to improve one thing every day.
Hope that helps.

>> No.4699887

>>4699879
Everything you wrote completely describes me, and those things you listed are what I do too whenever I get the most stuff done.
Still, I'm only getting 40 mins-2 hours each day and clearly it isn't enough (or I'm just retarded and can't learn to draw)

>> No.4699899

>>4699887
I'm sort of struggling too. I'm trying to draw every day but I can barely complete pictures because I keep getting up to do stuff, or take a break from being an introvert. I've been thinking of putting on movies or a whole anime series in the background so I'm more inclined to sit down and do it for larger spans of time.

I think you should have improved more with roughly an hour a day, if it's actually each day. You might need to read some art books on fundamentals or some kind of structured guide to point you forward. If you draw what you're comfortable with every day you won't improve.

>> No.4699904

>>4699899
I've been learning to draw for ~2 or 3 years but it's been on and off and I'm not sure how much of that is seriously attempting this but I think it's close to a year. It's not like I only do anime either, mostly it's studies of bodies and faces (which look worse than this). Still can't in the slightest draw from imagination, even a basic face or something. I've done a few books, but they're hard to get through too.
I guess I'm just not as passionate as I'd like to be, or I just can't grasp this at all.

>> No.4700060

>>4699879
Oh also I've been reading about ADHD for a while and wondering if I have it and those all sound like symptoms.
Even if I do have it though it's not that, cause tons of people with ADHD become good artists anyway and hyperfocus on drawing.