[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 54 KB, 750x569, proko-premium-gesture-drawing-preview.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4647258 No.4647258 [Reply] [Original]

This is bound to be a dumb question but, how exactly do you "use" gesture? I get that its used to stop your drawings from being stiff. However, every tutorial/etc I've seen, once gesture is taught, they don't really "build" on it once you are taught overlapping/mannequinizing. Are you basically supposed to draw over the gesture or just "think" about it as you draw the mannequin/whatever? I'm just not fully grasping it.

>> No.4647271

>>4647258
you use structure over it and deform it so that it maintains the gesture

>> No.4647274

>>4647258
There is no set approach to this. Some artists prefer to start from the gesture while others simply include it on the go. It doesn't matter as long as your drawing isn't a stiff piece of shit when you're done.

>> No.4647276

No. You should build on gesture. Proko's figure drawing course is absolutely backwards, where he teaches gesture, then discards it once he starts doing long poses.

Vilppu, Huston, Gnass, Hampton, they all build on the gesture. There are infinite ways to draw the gesture (scribble, rhythm, stickman, etc), but you must capture the gesture.

>> No.4647294

>>4647276

Yeah, Prokos course made no sense to me, it's the first thing he teaches, then complete ignores it in the following lessons/doesn't directly build on it.

I'm using Vilppus drawing manual and I thought it was doing the same, but looking into the later chapters it looks like he made be building on it.