[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 137 KB, 1080x1350, b641dd92ef00a611c77ea4c10c2d7fe7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4219169 No.4219169 [Reply] [Original]

Is smoothing / line-averaging a crux?

I like my lines with smoothing on but I can't help but feeling like its a cheat. But so is undo and I'm more than happy to use that so... yeah. What do you think?

pic unrelated

>> No.4219184

>>4219169
It's not so much that it's "cheating" as it is that smoothed linework looks rather artificial and cheap. Cheap in a tacky way, not cheap in a "cheating the system without earning it" way.

Perfectly smoothed linework gives very little room for you as the artist to inject your personality and quirks. It just ends up looking like a production rather than an artistic expression.

You should focus on line confidence rather than line accuracy. A little nervous scribbling is a lot more interesting than meticulously accurate, clean linework.

But to answer your question: No, it's not really cheating. It is a crutch, however if you use it to make up for your lack of line confidence.

>> No.4222625

>>4219184
>No, it's not really cheating. It is a crutch, however if you use it to make up for your lack of line confidence.
This.

Personally I find the iPad slightly inaccurate for really thin and unvarying line thickness, so just to jitter correct I like a tiny bit of line smoothing.

>> No.4222637

>>4219169
No Rules
Only Tools
However, there is no substitute for knowing how to get the line you want, regardless of the tools you use to get it.

>> No.4222905

>>4219169
if you are happy using it and you like the results then it's fine