[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 1.50 MB, 2826x3532, pottery1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4199531 No.4199531 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts on pottery and ceramics?

>> No.4199576

I spent a semester learning ceramics at college, and I enjoyed the process. We obviously started from the bottom, so it was all very simple, but I enjoyed the physicality of it.

Not something I’d dedicate my life to or anything, but if it were more accessible I’d still make something every now and then.

>> No.4199606

>>4199531

>> No.4199616

>>4199531
Ceramics is very therapeutic. Wheel throwing is both satisfying and challenging. Feels good using/selling dinnerware that you handmade. Making sculpture with ceramics is also very enjoyable.
I would never go for a ceramics MFA though. Too elitist for someone like me who mostly enjoys the craftsmanship side of it.

>> No.4199645

>>4199576
>if it were more accessible
the only thing holding pottery back from the mainstream. a poor ass hobo like me can't just start making ceramics

because of that, and that a lot of pottery is rooted in tradition, i think the artform has been advancing incredibly slowly. there's so much that hasn't been done yet
>>4199616
>Too elitist
some of the older dudes are dickheads.

>> No.4199694

Pottery is nice, as long as it’s not too up its own ass or too long, the one exception being epic pottery, since that tells a story so it gets a pass.
Ceramics is also great, but it gets cold in the winter, so I prefer a rug.