Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 48 KB, 1200x485, Blog_detail_pencil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4154093 No.4154093 [Reply] [Original]

If I want to learn art, should I start with pencil and paper? Or should I just go straight with a tablet?

Any reason why anyone would use pencil and paper anymore?

>> No.4154095

>>4154093
>Any reason why anyone would use pencil and paper anymore?
Because pure digital looks shit. It's unnatural and fake. It only looks good if you have extreme skills on it.
You also have better control over a pencil. Your drawings just will look more natural and have more character.

>> No.4154134

>>4154093
i'd start with paper just because it's cheap and easy. get a tablet if you really want it, if you want to be more serious about art, and if you can easily afford it. i wouldn't get it just to start off art immediately. a tablet won't make you better. digital is a good tool that is less messy and can cost less than years and years of traditional supplies, but if your skill is shit on paper, itll be shit with a tablet. start simple and easy with cheap traditional shit

>>4154095
shut up, digital can look fine. if it's not your thing, don't do it.

>> No.4154162

>>4154093
paper and pencil

>> No.4154206

>>4154093
every artist you like has hands and a brain, what you have to do is train that brain so that your hands can do the things you want.

Materials should have nothing to do with the -> Starting point of learning.

You don't question yourself if you should use a pen or a pencil or a tablet if what you want to do is to learn, to do that is just fear of drawing and you haven't even started. That being said the easiest thing to do would be to get a stack of printer paper and a bunch of pencils to just draw and people that don't fear the failure of a bad drawing will do that without thinking, conquer failure.

>> No.4154227

>>4154093

I'll give you my /beg/ perspective.

I tried starting with digital and I quickly found myself overwhelmed by the amount of options available (brushes, software, being able to undo) not to mention I found it really awkward to draw without looking at my hand.

when I switched to paper, everything felt more natural and I could focus more on the art. Just my pencil and the piece of paper, no 1000 brush options, not being stuck using ctrl-z every single time I did a stroke I didn't like and ending up spending more time trying to make the "perfect" line instead of just focusing on getting better.

tl;dr

pencil and paper lets me focus on drawing and actually working on improving my dexterity.

>> No.4154264

>>4154093
Paper with any paper you can find, the cheapest one. Really.

But you shouldn't only use pencil, but also charcoal, white pencil, an eraser... a ruler?

Try to draw on big papers though, A3, is possible.

Once you master perspective, sketch, anatomy, and values... you jump to digital.

It's better to learn colors on tablet.

>> No.4154268

>>4154264
Also a dip pen for linework. If you're hardcore enough it's not hard to make ink with charcoal. But you can buy it.

>> No.4154274

>>4154093
If you have to ask, then you're likely not getting anywhere in art. Save yourself the trouble.

>> No.4154284

>>4154093

pencil and paper
compass
ruler
protractor
t-square

1)start with basic shapes and perspective.

2)basic shading/light direction. basic shapes are perfect for this

3) fun with a pencil book (andrew loomis)

4) advanced shading your cartoons.

5) move to more advanced shit. (anatomy/realism)

>> No.4154297

>>4154093
Look at contemporary artists that are killing it with traditional media. James Gurney, Karl Kopinski, Kim Jung Gi, actually pretty much all of superani. Even artists that produce a lot of digital work have solid foundations in traditional media: Kekai Kotaki, Karla Ortiz, Cynthia Sheppard, Sinix.

>> No.4154853

>>4154297
this doesn't have to do with starting out though. OP should use whatever is most accessible to them.

>> No.4154864

it really doesn't matter

>> No.4154903

>>4154093
you can start learning right away with just a pencil, but digital painting can be fun. the pitfall of digital painting is that you need to buy equipment (and possibly buy the software too if you don't want to use free software or pirate). the cost of setting up a digital painting workstation can far outweigh the benefits unless you know you'll use said workstation for half a decade or so to get value out of it. for traditional drawing, you really just need paper and any tool that lets you draw, though buying expensive pencils, inks, and paints does add up over time eventually so even if you make smart purchases traditional art supplies do catch up to digital in cost after a few years of use.

if money is not an issue, i say just do both. make sure you test out a tablet before you buy it though, because i personally find a non display tablet more comfortable to work with than something i need to hunch over to draw on.

>> No.4154926
File: 107 KB, 1024x768, 2bp1a3sy2ug21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

There's 0 reason why you wouldn't go digital and never study or draw on paper. People who tell you otherwise have just been parroting something without even understanding why.
Put simply : doing traditional first then digital would give you 0 edge over only doing digital.

>> No.4155346

>>4154093
>wants to learn art
>wants computer to do it for him

>> No.4155357

>>4154926
Is not being a massive faggot not reason enough for you?

>> No.4155361

>>4154093
2 separate skills m8, and you need both of them. When you start getting higher up in rendering and it feels more difficult your knowledge of blending charcoal on paper feeds back into your knowledge of blending on the computer, and vice versa. Plus it's easier Todo on paper because you can touch it and it's tactile feedback. When you have a billion layers on the computer you don't get to move things around with omnidirectional precision, you have to do it with the circle brush that you constantly have to change the size of to get the same blended effect.

>> No.4155367

>>4155361
Extremely poor argument. Your only one :
>When you have a billion layers on the computer you don't get to move things around with omnidirectional precision
I know it's shocking but if you study digitally you don't have to use multiple layers. You can do so on once and do the exact same thing you'd do on paper.

There is no need for paper if your goal is digital only.

>> No.4155378

for learning...

home depot/lowes:
cheap pencils
roll of wrapping/news print paper 12"x1000ft for $30-50. may have to order in store.

>> No.4155409

>>4154297
Jim Lee uses pencils and fineliners with some brushwork on the side.

>> No.4155563

im learning how to draw using an ipad pro.

i know this triggers lots of fags on /ic/ and its great.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action