[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 869 KB, 753x706, 1438650084596.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4122786 No.4122786 [Reply] [Original]

Is it true that most successful artists start at a really young age, like 1 or 2 years old, and so by age 18 have nearly 15 years of practice under their belts? Not to mention that as a child they had no job or responsibility so could dedicate 100% of their time to art.

So for an adult beginner with a job and a family, etc it is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to put in enough time to get good. It's already over, they will never succeed unless somehow they win the lottery and can lock themselves up for the next 15 years to practice art.

But even if they did that, it would mean debuting at like 65 years old. How could a 65 year old newbie artist hope to complete with younger established artists on social media? And their hands would be arthritic and would only have a couple of years to produce work before old age takes it away.

I'm really becoming galvanized of the opinion that if you haven't found success by age 20, you will never will.

>> No.4122788

>>4122786
The earlier you started copying better art and doing fundies the better.

>> No.4122793

First of all, no one ever won by being a defeatist, so stop whining.

Yes, some people do start early. But no kid is grinding fundies at 5, if they did, they would hate it and hate drawing in general by the time they reach adulthood.
Trust me, I've seen plenty of "been drawing all my life" kids. They picked up plenty of wrong habits, they think they know better than you, and they can't accept criticism because everyone told them they were so good growing up. Most of those get destroyed in art school when put up against real competition, they are less resilient than people who have a lot to learn but who are opened to being taught.

>> No.4122796

>>4122786
If you want to quit just quit. Stop trying to drag other people into quitting or spending eons justifying to yourself why you should quit.

>> No.4122803

Of course having a job and a family eats at your free time, no shit. Of course someone with no free time can't git gud at anything quickly.

You have to choose what's more important in life to you, your dreams, finances, or your family.

>> No.4122805

What else do you want to do?

>> No.4122812

God I wish my father was a millionaire...

>> No.4122814
File: 364 KB, 1710x1128, 1_FXKksK273F4CObp0tVeXMg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4122786
> a really young age, like 1 or 2 years old
Most prodigies, of any task, usually start at 4-7. But for some stuff like acute perfect pitch, you actually have to start before birth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9JdQ7bKfAk

>For an adult beginner with a job and a family, it is impossible to put in the time
That's a commonly cited barrier, but it only makes up half of the reason. With the same free time as a kid, you would still have a disadvantage, depending on your age. All growing stops around age 24, which we can see roughly in most plasticity graphs.

>If you haven't found success by age 20, you never will
It doesn't magically get impossible after a certain age. But it does get progressively harder. A better cope is: If you haven't found success by age 20, you still can find it, but you will never have the determination to do so. Maybe you can get like Jung Gi through practice, but you cannot do what it takes, which is probably something like grinding 9-5 for 10 years straight.

>> No.4122816

>>4122812
I know two people whose parents are litterally self-made millionnaires.
They both have sooooo many mental issues becuse those parents are piling up huge expectations on them.

>> No.4123706
File: 162 KB, 528x814, kek.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4122786
That may be true for normalfags but you aren't a normie, are you? Being social and part of a group is what leads them to convergent thinking. Being losers without friends, our brains were left to develop differently from theirs. Act like they do and you'll fail like them. Think, fren, this is the thing nobody can take away from you.