[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 14 KB, 954x624, talent over time - 1564491046298.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4065860 No.4065860 [Reply] [Original]

Why do some people get good really fast and others struggle? I'm improving but I'm not improving fast enough. At this rate I won't be good until I'm very old, if ever. It makes me very angry seeing people half my age who put in no effort succeeding at things which I failed at.

>> No.4065865

but the graphic says that you improved faster than the others. you just stagnated.

>> No.4065866

Do you push yourself outside of your comfort zone?
Do you apply what you studied or do you mindlessly go through exercises/copy something and move on to the next?
How much time do you put into it every day?
How much of that time is dedicated to studying, how much to applying and creating your own pieces?
Do you get stuck studying the same subject for far longer than you should have? Do blitz through subjects even though they've barely been absorbed? How are you determining when to studying something else?
How often are you interrupted or distracted when in the middle of drawing?
How often are you critiqued, by whom, and do you actually work on applying their advice?

These are just a few of the modifiers that determine the rate of your progression.

>> No.4065875

There's different factors.

IQ, predisposition towards a particular discipline, work habits and time/effort put into learning, studying methods, environment(peers, teachers, resources, etc.), mental well-being and mindset.

I'm sure I'm missing some others, the gist of it there's not really any one thing that makes someone improve faster than others, it's a combination of things.

If I had to choose the most important thing it would be how much time you spend actually learning AND practicing. Lots of people are delusional when it comes to time management.

Track your time with an app, then track your learning:practicing ratio. Make sure you keep a logbook of some kind of all the work you've done and all the work you need to do.

Some people get good by randomly practicing, but if you do that you leave a lot of the outcome to chance, talent, etc. things that aren't in your control.

>> No.4065890

>>4065860
What is this fucking shit. Talent is a constant.

>> No.4065899

Another thing is that sometimes it could also be your method of study just doesn't click as well with you as it does someone else. When someone says "draw a circle for the head then draw the jaw underneath and measure the proportions" that might be less intuitive to you than say, drawing cylinder or a box. Try branching outside of one method and see if another technique clicks better with you. You won't know until you give it an honest attempt at practicing. But as the others have posted above, there are dozens of factors as to why someone else could be improving at different rates. One of the most important things though is it's about mindful practice. Constantly being aware of what it is you're studying and taking an analytical approach to understanding what you're trying to improve. It's not enough to just draw, you have to be aware.

>> No.4065963

>>4065860
>Why do some people get good really fast and others struggle?
>It makes me very angry seeing people half my age who put in no effort succeeding at things which I failed at.
Don't make it about other people, it's not a competition. I can guarantee you that people who become good fast don't do so because they really want to be better than some other sob. They do it because of what it means to them.

Also effort ≠ progress
If you have a huge rock in your garden that you want to get rid of and try to push it, it might never get anywhere. Whereas someone who uses a lever might instantly succeed.
So maybe your approach is just wrong.

>I'm improving but I'm not improving fast enough. At this rate I won't be good until I'm very old, if ever.
Seems to me like your attitude is part of the problem. I'm not judging I can relate actually.
I used to obsess a lot about if I was gmi and feeling vengeful of people who were getting really good, while just having fun.
Getting to the next level is like climbing a mountain, it might take everything you have just to get there. So packing the weights of ngmi, vengefulness and jealousy for the trip might just be the sraw that broke the camels back.

I used to really hate that quote from Bob Ross about believing in yourself. It always seemed like feel good, overly optimistic, hippie piffle to me.
But maybe it's just about letting go of the extra weights.
So here you go anon: “The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe.”

>> No.4065974

>>4065860
Your approach, focus on certain subjects, time spent deliberately practicing, your methods, how much you're getting out of your comfort zone, your attitude, etc. all factor in.

Art is complex and multifaceted, there's likely a big blind spot you haven't addressed. Are there things you're afraid of attempting in art? Things you don't ever "feel" like trying out? Do those things anyway.

>> No.4068261
File: 131 KB, 715x943, 1550415117157.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4065860
I get frustrated too, but the reality is it always comes back to this graph. If you're not getting past those frustrating points you need to keep trying new ways of improving yourself until something works.

Also, you will never be able to fairly judge yourself so keep that in mind. Your mistakes probably aren't as obvious to everyone else. Just keep doing your best.

>> No.4070426

>>4068261
this makes a lot of sense. It can honestly get really de-motivating when you're putting in the effort and you feel like you're actually getting worse. Wish things were more consistent. Improving is really like a rollercoaster ride.

>> No.4070577

>>4065860
+50% of threads in this place have very, Very easy questions : this on is about slow & fast learners.
Wanna learn faster? Learn another way, a way that is more efficient to YOU! How is that complicated?

Keep in mind though : ars longa,vita brevis.

>> No.4071063

>>4068261
i enact a micro version of this cycle almost every day.