[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 1.43 MB, 2000x1224, what.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4065028 No.4065028 [Reply] [Original]

How does one regain the spark /ic/?

It seems like a few years ago I was churning out at least one full color, intricately rendered image per week, with several sketches and flat color images in between. I had an autistic level of dedication to my favorite subjects and could always fill page after page with doodles of them. I was always coming up with ideas for stuff to draw and if someone gave me a suggestion I could competently pop it out in about an hour. Looking back I feel like my work used to be so colorful and full of energy and enthusiasm.
Now it's hard for me to even get started on a drawing, and when I do it's usually garbage, like I've forgotten how to draw. I feel like all my work from the last two years is uninspired and lazy.

Can anyone here relate? If you've been in this position, what would you recommend?
Inb4 post your work. Left is from 2015, right is from May of this year.

>> No.4065038

It's probably something different in your life not art related. I'm guessing either you were in/out of a certain relationship, having some kinda medication then/now, in a different living situation, etc.

Regardless, you should probably figure this shit asap. Be scientific or whatever about it.

>> No.4065044

Maybe you're just getting tired of the subject matter but not realizing it. I also get pretty autistic about drawing the same shit that I love over and over again and that's where I start to decline. When I push myself to explore drawing other things, I can come back to drawing my obsessions later and not only enjoy it more but do a much better job.

>> No.4065047

>>4065028
I’m in this right now. Really even if it doesn’t feel good, I force myself to draw because I know it’s good for me. And maybe, while I’m forcing myself, I’ll feel that old spark and start enjoying it.

In all seriousness, I think it’s just a part of growing up. It’s probably not drawing itself, but the things you draw. To rediscover that spark, maybe try thinking about what got you in to it in the first place. It’s at least a start to figuring out what’s missing. If your answer is shallow, then keep seeking what about drawing has true meaning to you.

>> No.4065150

>>4065028
I think it can help to look at some really great art/media sometimes. Find yourself some inspo, as they call it.
I feel like when you're in a place like this it can also help to break out of your comfort zone. Maybe try drawing in a totally different medium, or a totally different subject matter, or a totally different style. Starting to learn something you're completely inexperienced with can be refreshing in my experience, since you can get some quick gains, and you might discover something new you love.

>> No.4065157

Apparently Einstein was considered inept and retarded at Mathematics for a long time until his parents decided to give him a violin to play to see if it might help him improve his ability to think.

He helped lay down the foundation of mathematics to understanding how the universe works.

High chances are that your brain is addled in millions of different worlds all at once. Maybe taking up a musical instrument for fun could help you?

>> No.4065158

Your art got worse anon, whatever you're doing. Stop and do the opposite.

>> No.4065728

>>4065028
go on holiday even for a few days, take a sketchbook. read a book- i bet you don't read books anymore do you anon? doing work and learning instead of just browsing internet feels good

>> No.4065742

>>4065028
You lost your confidence and started thinking of yourself as rusty or as if something had changed. It became a self fulfilling prophecy. Nothing changed but your mentality.
Don’t doubt your ability to create, if something doesn’t turn out it has nothing to do with that other piece that also didn’t turn out, don’t compound failures. Sometimes you just have a run of shitty pieces or life gets busy, but it’s not a permanent statement of some change in your ability (unless you start believing it is).

You’re still you, it wasn’t someone else who was cranking out all the art. Start small and reasonable but stay consistent and let yourself feel good about creating instead of comparing yourself to your past every time you sit down to draw.

>> No.4065878

>>4065742
thanks for this
I would also like to add that is normal to burn out and feel like this, OP. Sometimes is just better to give yourself time, take a break. See the world. Come back fresh.